• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

lazygecko

It just dawned on me that for all my years spent playing WoW I have never actually tanked in a raid before. I think my paladin is geared enough to handle tanking LFR now. I just have these psychological inhibitors that makes it hard for me to get into tanking and this is magnified tenfold in a raiding context. I'm always scared that people are gonna start yelling at me or votekick me because I'm expected to know everything inside out about every encounter or just tanking in general right from the start.

Plus I have no idea what the doctrine is with regards to taunt tagging with your tank partner and such in raid PuGs.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
It just dawned on me that for all my years spent playing WoW I have never actually tanked in a raid before. I think my paladin is geared enough to handle tanking LFR now. I just have these psychological inhibitors that makes it hard for me to get into tanking and this is magnified tenfold in a raiding context. I'm always scared that people are gonna start yelling at me or votekick me because I'm expected to know everything inside out about every encounter or just tanking in general right from the start.

Plus I have no idea what the doctrine is with regards to taunt tagging with your tank partner and such in raid PuGs.

I have always wanted to try tanking. The WoW crowd is not very nice so this is why I also have never tried it.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
killing easy mobs to get 500 stones? put some music on and i'm good.

This. Some soothing music and I can relax killing mobs for hours.

edit: It's kind of peaceful just fartin around on a new character.

fi4jPX7.png

ampere

Still have to farm some bullshit. 8 of the Sulfuron Ingots and 50 Arcanite Bars and 10 Blood of the Mountain. Ugh. A few other bits, but those are easier.

Arcanite is the worst with CRZ. There's literally no good time to farm em

I have always wanted to try tanking. The WoW crowd is not very nice so this is why I also have never tried it.

Just try it anyway. Watch a video that talks about tanking or something.

Basics:
Pull slow, make sure you hit each mob, don't let things hit your back, watch healer's mana

Then you gradually learn more over time

StMeph

The only thing with tanking with regard to raids is that you really do need to know what's going on. Obviously the only way to really know is to do it, but read guides and watch videos. Unless you're in a progression guild where it's clear that no one really knows what is about to happen, tanks are expected to know the encounter in and out, and going in blind will usually end badly compared to other roles like DPS or even heals.

lazygecko

PRPro.png

I guess rigging that helm mesh for other races would cost us another raid tier. The frostwolf helm was the one transmog piece I was looking forward to the most out of all the orc clan sets since it would be perfect for my shaman.

I guess rigging that helm mesh for other races would cost us another raid tier. The frostwolf helm was the one transmog piece I was looking forward to the most out of all the orc clan sets since it would be perfect for my shaman.

It is leather though.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'm curious as to whether Hellfire has that kind of setup or if it's a bit more linear.
If Blizzard wants to take a design route where certain bosses give higher ilevel drops within the same raid they probably need to set up more linear raid dungeon layouts.

lazygecko

The only thing with tanking with regard to raids is that you really do need to know what's going on. Obviously the only way to really know is to do it, but read guides and watch videos. Unless you're in a progression guild where it's clear that no one really knows what is about to happen, tanks are expected to know the encounter in and out, and going in blind will usually end badly compared to other roles like DPS or even heals.

I am still completely unsure over the synergy between my random tank partner though. Is it just pull on a first come, first serve basis and then the other tank just monitors debuff stacks and taunts when needed?

ampere

I am still completely unsure over the synergy between my random tank partner though. Is it just pull on a first come, first serve basis and then the other tank just monitors debuff stacks and taunts when needed?

Yeah just whisper them and say "want to pull first" or something. Usually taunt at 2 or so stacks of whatever and then when your stacks fall off. For trash yea first come first serve sort of.

And use active mitigation! Random tanks who don't are a bit frustrating :p

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Yeah tanking is pretty easy. I gained a lot of confidence in the game by leveling up a couple characters through tanking/healing exclusively in dungeons.

At least until you get to heroic/mythic raiding :p

Also, if I fail at tanking its not a big deal, they can kick me and I'll learn what I did wrong for next time. Tanking is instant q after all, so fuck it

Tacitus_

Tanking LF stuff is pretty braindead, as long as your partner doesn't use taunt in their rotation (had this happen once). DBM will tell you when to taunt and if they don't use it, just spam "TAUNT TAUNT TAUNT TAUNT" into every chat and they'll get the hint.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Has anyone bought cm gold runs this expansion? Looking for recommendations. I'd prefer something where I don't have to put any effort in at all (after all, these things look like they are 250k a pop). I've done gold in mop on 9 classes, but I just can't find the time with my new job to run these with friends ;(

ShinMaruku

I was really bored and tried Rogue on ptr, if I was not anti MMO and anti sub I'd give it atleast a month or two. Sub is probably the closest melee has gotten me to enjoying it...

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I was really bored and tried Rogue on ptr, if I was not anti MMO and anti sub I'd give it atleast a month or two. Sub is probably the closest melee has gotten me to enjoying it...

Wow, you must be fun at parties.

ShinMaruku

It's less so the sub and more the systems this game is built on and the social hooks have lost me. But I had a decent time on ptr with sub.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Also, if I fail at tanking its not a big deal, they can kick me and I'll learn what I did wrong for next time. Tanking is instant q after all, so fuck it

Honestly it's a joke in LFR, if you get nervous or need help (this is more general) just ask the other tank for tips in a whisper. Most are good enough guys and gals that they'll be pretty eager to help. If the tanking community is anything like I remember it being it's a pretty close knit and helpful bunch.

JSoup

Banned
From twitter:
"But equating the Selfie cam to Farahlon for dev time = apples to galaxies."

But that's exactly what is claimed any time someone askes for or about something. "Sorry, that will cost [other content]."

Tacitus_

They tend to use that excuse when they'd need proper dev time, either from artists or balance designers. I'd bet the camera was someones off hours project or something like that.

The better question is why the fuck haven't they expanded the team so they could actually get those features out.

ZenaxPure

Ashran updates look like they might be good. The quests will make people fight each other I am thinking.

I am actually fairly excited for Ashran in 6.2 tbh. Putting more emphasis on the events as opposed to the un-fun cluster fuck of the main battle is great (as events are going to appear more frequently after the patch and require more points to win). Also taking out the ability to queue for Ashran while in a raid will hopefully fix some of the numbers issues, I've done way more Ashran than I should admit to just farming AH pieces (since they still go for a lot on my server) and it's kinda silly how you can hop into LFG and find an Ashran group, wait like an hour in queue and then zone into an Ashran where there is basically 0 of the opposing faction because they've been getting crushed all day. It's basically a PVE zone right now.

StMeph

The better question is why the fuck haven't they expanded the team so they could actually get those features out.

They HAVE expanded the team, and the initial excuse was that it's a complicated and difficult thing to get that many people acclimated to The Blizzard Way, and so there's an adjustment period to account for. That should be over now, so there's nothing else to grasp at for why the next expansion will be both 1) late, and 2) under-delivering.

Stupid ICC. Was doing the custom group trick for saving raid IDs. It works flawlessly with every raid, but ICC. For some reason ICC has issues when making groups. I had the same problem with doing the Shadowmourne chain. I would invite people, but they would not appear in the raid until we all zoned out after everyone was invited.

I tried it with 2 different characters and the same thing happened both times. Ill have to play around with and try to get it to work. Of course, the longest raid is the one that's being stupid...

Stupid ICC. Was doing the custom group trick for saving raid IDs. It works flawlessly with every raid, but ICC. For some reason ICC has issues when making groups. I had the same problem with doing the Shadowmourne chain. I would invite people, but they would not appear in the raid until we all zoned out after everyone was invited.

I tried it with 2 different characters and the same thing happened both times. Ill have to play around with and try to get it to work. Of course, the longest raid is the one that's being stupid...

Make sure you're doing it on normal. That's the only way I could get it to work.

And look at that. Another "Thunderlord Sage" mission. Eat a dick, blizzard.

Make sure you're doing it on normal. That's the only way I could get it to work.

And look at that. Another "Thunderlord Sage" mission. Eat a dick, blizzard.

Can you switch it to Heroic half way through? I know you cant for Dragon Soul. If I can do 10N to clear, that would speed things up.

lazygecko

Got 113k gold now across all my horde characters on the same server. That's probably more than I've ever owned at any point previously in the game. Just got my fifth character to 100 as well and getting started with yet another garrison gold operation there.

Also got a lone alliance paladin with a tier 2 garrison on another realm. Was thinking of maybe just using that one to learn how to play the auction house with.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Did WoW Brazil prices go up? I used to switch from USD to BRL to buy cheap character services. They are not much cheaper now.

lazygecko

Also I just noticed that NPCs in your garrison will actually turn their heads to face you when in vicinity now. This is something I've wanted to see used by other characters for god knows how long. The functionality has already been in there from the start, when you're standing and using mouselook, but I'm pretty sure it's only visible client-side.

OmegaSkittle

Neo Member
Also I just noticed that NPCs in your garrison will actually turn their heads to face you when in vicinity now. This is something I've wanted to see used by other characters for god knows how long. The functionality has already been in there from the start, when you're standing and using mouselook, but I'm pretty sure it's only visible client-side.

Yeah I noticed that too. That along with them saying "Hello, Commander" (at least on Horde) feels great and deserved.

Top Bottom