• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

EmiPrime

Its RNG being cruel, fickle bitch. I have 4 100s. On two, I get tons of gold missions, usually 400-600 before bonuses. On the other two, Im lucky If I get 150-200. And its consistently the same 2 that get good missions. Its really weird. I should double check and make sure I have a level 3 inn. Im 99% sure, but I could be a knob.

Phew, I was worried they'd made my small army of treasure hunters useless after the reset. I got about 3000g (thanks mostly to the Blingtron mission) at the start of the week and since then less than 150g a day.

I should probably do it on my alts too but they're so undergeared I don't know if they could do the harrison jones quests.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Flying debate is still a hot topic on their forums, has not died down enough, lets delay it another week then!

I wish they would just enable flying again strictly so that every WoW topic just about any place on the internet would stop turning into an argument about flying.

JSoup

Banned
I kinda wanna ask if there is a lore reason we can't fly.
Like, couldn't in Pandaria because of the winds being different or something.
Couldn't in Isle of Thunder because we'd get hit by lightening and die.
Couldn't in Timeless Isle because of wibbily wobbly timey wimey crap.
Can't in Draenor because lol no.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

its the hubris weighing us all down

You weren't allowed to fly until you reached max level AND got a license for every zone you wanted to fly in for BC/Wrath/Mists/Cata, it was only later that they let you fly as soon as you could consume that content.

So if we're looking for consistent lore reasons behind flying we're looking for something that never really existed. I guess the only possible explanation is 'lol nobody's selling the license.'

Entropia

No One Remembers
Why is this damn QA being hyped so much? I dont remember this for Holinkas QA a while back.

Holinka's was probably more PvP focused (not sure, didn't pay attention to it).

But with the recent 'controversy' and how up in arms everyone is about the future of flying in WoW, everyone is thinking they're going to have the answers they want, and everything will be back to normal.

It's incredible how mad people are over it. I seriously don't get it. There are more things to be pissed about in the game than flying.

CassSept

People need one cause to gather around and flying transcends classes and play styles, everyone is affected by it so it's easy to rally people up.

Robin64

I find it interesting they now admit there was a lack of content in 6.1.

GFWLYTz.png

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I love the outlines they've got going in some of those Hellfire pics. Some of the art is really impressing me which never really happens.

ampere

They can keep flying out of the current content (Tanaan in 6.2), but c'mon why not let us fly in the rest of the world at this point.

They can keep flying out of the current content (Tanaan in 6.2), but c'mon why not let us fly in the rest of the world at this point.

Because blah blah, dangerous world, blah blah blah. I leave my garrison to go raiding and do the apexis daily (Im a terrible mount whore). My lock is 675, the world is not dangerous anymore. The unique elites in nagrand for the steamweedle rep are a joke. I can agro 5+ 100s and not even care and running through low 90s stuff to get to my apexis quest spot is a joke too.

Any "difficult" content for a fresh 100 is completely trivialized with gear. I don't see why making it a bit more trivialized by flying is any worse. The very few times I get dazed and dismounted while travelling don't feel dangerous, theyre annoying. And hell, anyone with a stable doesn't even get dazed/dismounted.

StMeph

Next expansion: Removed gear in order to make the world more dangerous.

Unintended bonus side-effect of removing gear: it's okay to remove raid tiers that provide gear since it's not needed anymore.

Dev time refocused toward more meaningful pursuits like Pet costumes and selfies.

Imagine the sea of cunts they deal with on a day to day basis. That probably wears them thin.

Agreed. I almost never go to the WoW or D3 forums because the attitude there is absolutely disgusting. I don't know what is worse, the complete childish, bullshit, entitled attitude, or the complete lack of critical thinking. Its not 100% like that, just 99.6% or so. There are a few good posts/threads here and there, but its so sparse, it becomes painful to go there.

Becoming a community manager there must be taking a belt sander to your balls, then setting in a tub of glass shards and Tobasco sauce.

All I know is that if my alts could fly in Draenor I'd have more classes to 100 by now and I'd have more capped professions available to me. Which means I'd be getting out of my Garrison more often.

Do I miss flying? Yeah if I'm honest I do. I'm definitely not logging in much because there's nothing to do on my main, and the idea of trudging through the WoD content on alts is extremely unappealing. But that is a much stronger statement on how poorly paced and executed the WoD content is than on how essential flying is to the experience of WoW.

Purdy

Imagine the sea of cunts they deal with on a day to day basis. That probably wears them thin.

Except they still ignore the hugely thoughtful and interesting posts also and just be passive aggressive twats to anyone really.

At the end of the day they are saying this is the product and you're going to enjoy it, that new ashran thing being required for off pieces beggars belief.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Agreed. I almost never go to the WoW or D3 forums because the attitude there is absolutely disgusting. I don't know what is worse, the complete childish, bullshit, entitled attitude, or the complete lack of critical thinking. Its not 100% like that, just 99.6% or so. There are a few good posts/threads here and there, but its so sparse, it becomes painful to go there.

Becoming a community manager there must be taking a belt sander to your balls, then setting in a tub of glass shards and Tobasco sauce.

This is such a perfect fucking analogy for becoming a Blizzard community manager. They seriously have skin of diamonds.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Next expansion: Removed gear in order to make the world more dangerous.

They already have that, it's called Nostalrius. There are hundreds of player skeletons in every cave.

Why do people develop this "other people care more than me and are wrong for doing so" mentality?

It's pretty clear that flying isn't gameplay it's how you GET TO the gameplay, it isn't something that people pay 15 bucks a month to do. It's a vocal minority in their own echo chamber, and Blizzard wouldn't be so dead set against it if it was actually something that makes or breaks it for a lot of people.

If they suddenly put flying in the game tomorrow, would WoD actually have shit to do? I'll be able to fly around my garrison waiting for raid instead of walking around my garrison. Whoopee.

Flying right now may not actually make the world 'dangerous' to be in, but that doesn't mean that they won't make it actually dangerous and exciting to be on the ground down the line, and no-flying is the first step in that process.

Honestly I'd rather they had flying, but make it cost like 100-250k gold. Make it something that was hard to get like it was in BC, especially epic flying. The salt would be real then.

Peachpies

T
If they suddenly put flying in the game tomorrow, would WoD actually have shit to do? I'll be able to fly around my garrison waiting for raid instead of walking around my garrison. Whoopee.

Flying right now may not actually make the world 'dangerous' to be in, but that doesn't mean that they won't make it actually dangerous and exciting to be on the ground down the line, and no-flying is the first step in that process.
If they were actually able to make the world dangerous without flying mounts they could make it dangerous with flying mounts as well, the problem isn't flying but that they didn't try to make anything dangerous or exciting. So for anything that didn't involve going out into the world like gathering professions, archeology, or pet battles all removing flying did was make it annoying and frustrating to do them. Removing flying did not do anything good and made many things worse and less enjoyable.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
If they were actually able to make the world dangerous without flying mounts they could make it dangerous with flying mounts as well

I remember doing dailies in WotLK and BC, the best area was Queldanas, where you couldn't fly. The lamest was doing the ToC dailies where you could just fly everywhere.

The way to make the world dangerous where you can't just fly over everything is to put objectives and mobs inside caves, it gets boring. Or they can make arbitrary no mount zones, which is jarring to have borders where you can and cant fly right next to each other.

In a list of a hundred things wrong with WoD, no flying is in the bottom 90s, I don't get why people are so focused on it other than they can't articulate the other stuff they don't like.

Robin64

I do prefer no flying. As you say, Isle of Queldanas was more fun to do than the Crusader dailies.

However, Archaeology really needs a retune if they're sticking to no flying. I used to be an avid digger upper, until I hit Draenor.

Peachpies

I remember doing dailies in WotLK and BC, the best area was Queldanas, where you couldn't fly. The lamest was doing the ToC dailies where you could just fly everywhere.

The way to make the world dangerous where you can't just fly over everything is to put objectives and mobs inside caves, it gets boring. Or they can make arbitrary no mount zones, which is jarring to have borders where you can and cant fly right next to each other.

In a list of a hundred things wrong with WoD, no flying is in the bottom 90s, I don't get why people are so focused on it other than they can't articulate the other stuff they don't like.
Riding to a quest on a ground mount is not any more dangerous than flying when there is not anything dangerous. If the difference between the best quests and the lame ones for you is whether you travel there on the ground or in the air it should be pretty easy for you to always have the best quests. Mode of travel has nothing to do with the danger of an area the enemies or other dangers in the area are what does that.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I have no idea why they didn't remove Archaeology and replace it with The Lorewalkers with a new rep for every expansion that is earned in the same way as the Lorewalker stuff.

Robin64

Fighting your way into a village for a quest is better than landing in front of the one mob you need, killing it, and then taking off again.

Won

Because that's how the world works. People talk about the latest and hottest news the most and that happens to be "no flying". Everything else is old news and has been talked about a thousands times already. Literally, if you check for all the youtube videos that came out with the 3m sub drop.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Riding to a quest on a ground mount is not any more dangerous than flying when there is not anything dangerous. If the difference between the best quests and the lame ones for you is whether you travel there on the ground or in the air it should be pretty easy for you to always have the best quests. Mode of travel has nothing to do with the danger of an area the enemies or other dangers in the area are what does that.

Until "Shadowmeld/vanish, flight form/mount"

and away I go with 20 mobs next to me.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Right now you're making my point for me, because even in this hypothetical situation, what dailies are there to fly in/out of or walk in/out of?

That's why this whole stink about flying doesn't mean dick. It's not what's wrong with the expac.

Peachpies

Right now you're making my point for me, because even in this hypothetical situation, what dailies are there to fly in/out of or walk in/out of?

That's why this whole stink about flying doesn't mean dick. It's not what's wrong with the expac.
Apexis Crystal dailies
Harrison Dailies
Garrison bounty dailies
Garrison Campaign
Pet Battles
Archeology
Gathering Professions

Just because you choose to ignore anything that doesn't suit your story doesn't mean it's not there.

EmiPrime

I have no idea why they didn't remove Archaeology and replace it with The Lorewalkers with a new rep for every expansion that is earned in the same way as the Lorewalker stuff.

They've said that they regret keeping archaeology around post-Cataclysm. I like the Lorewalker stuff more too.

ZenaxPure

People have different priorities when it comes to what they find important, not rocket science. Flying is pretty low on my totem pole as well but what isn't is how blizzard has handled it. We find out about Warlords and there is no mention of the flight or future of it, months later blizzard says there won't be any flying and that it will come in 6.1. 6.1 comes and they say flying is not in this one, maybe later. Months go by and there is a random interview where they just say fuck it, no flying at all now.

Like jesus christ, get your shit together. Figure this stuff out before the expansion is out.

I, for one, miss flying. Its a better sense of freedom, a much easier way to get around, and most important for me, its much quicker. I don't have gobs of time to play, and wasting time running to my location isn't fun for me. I don't even stop to gather herbs/ore anymore since I have the garrison, or if im in a pinch, I can buy it for 1g each. As far as the whole fly in, kill one mob, fly out bit, that's easy to fix. Just make it so you have to kill trash for a ransom item or til another NPC spawns. Both of those behaviors are already in the game.

Making the world dangerous is a bullshit excuse. As I said early, gear quickly trivializes the difficulty of non-dungeon/raid content. A max geared character can almost solo heroic dungeons, and it would be dumb as hell to make entire zones as difficult as a heroic dungeon. The way is was done is MoP was perfect. Restrict flying to old content, keep current content on the ground.

ampere

They've said that they regret keeping archaeology around post-Cataclysm. I like the Lorewalker stuff more too.

Yeah it's a bummer. Lorewalker stuff encouraged exploring, Archaeology encourages hating yourself because it's terrible

ZenaxPure

Yeah it's a bummer. Lorewalker stuff encouraged exploring, Archaeology encourages hating yourself because it's terrible

The lack of anything like the lorewalkers in WoD continues to bum me out. I want random scrolls scattered across the world I can read to find out the history of the place and then be rewarded with a cool cutscene when I gather a full set.

Though the most baffling part is how they had a good setup for it. Reshad is basically the lorewalker Cho of draenor and the Arakkoa are fairly obsessed with history.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Apexis Crystal dailies
Harrison Dailies
Garrison bounty dailies
Garrison Campaign
Pet Battles
Archeology
Gathering Professions

Just because you choose to ignore anything that doesn't suit your story doesn't mean it's not there.

Sorry, I should remember to add 'Dailies, that are worth while because they actually give you rewards'.

After 4 days of apexis dailies you don't need to do them anymore, Harrison has 6 quests and then you're done, The Garrison Bounty quests give you items you can get from garrison missions. Anyone actually farming ore or herbs in the world is crazy, you get more than enough from the mine/garden not to mention salvage yard.

It's a joke, you're joking with me right now. None of those things you even listed are of consequence, and if you're trying to compare them to SWP, ToC, Isle of Thunder...get a grip, they are not even in the same league.

There isn't anything to do in this expansion except raid, and you get geared to raid very quickly, and being able to fly isn't suddenly going bring this expansion up from the gutter.

But maybe, if they actually keep it out, they can have a return to form and start getting that Vanilla feel back, where players don't just swoop in, kill exactly 8 mobs and then swoop out. This is just like when they removed Have Group, Will Travel. Lots of bellyaching, lots of wah wahing, people forget about it 2 months later. If there was shit to do in this expac, no one would care if you could fly or not.

Peachpies

Sorry, I should remember to add 'Dailies, that are worth while because they actually give you rewards'.

After 4 days of apexis dailies you don't need to do them anymore, Harrison has 6 quests and then you're done, The Garrison Bounty quests give you items you can get from garrison missions. Anyone actually farming ore or herbs in the world is crazy, you get more than enough from the mine/garden not to mention salvage yard.

It's a joke, you're joking with me right now. None of those things you even listed are of consequence, and if you're trying to compare them to SWP, ToC, Isle of Thunder...get a grip, they are not even in the same league.

There isn't anything to do in this expansion except raid, and you get geared to raid very quickly, and being able to fly isn't suddenly going bring this expansion up from the gutter.

But maybe, if they actually keep it out, they can have a return to form and start getting that Vanilla feel back, where players don't just swoop in, kill exactly 8 mobs and then swoop out. This is just like when they removed Have Group, Will Travel. Lots of bellyaching, lots of wah wahing, people forget about it 2 months later. If there was shit to do in this expac, no one would care if you could fly or not.
So you are just reverting back to the old "I don't like it so no one does" argument.
There is lots to do but people don't do it because it is much harder due to no flying.

JSoup

Banned

I'm near having the MoP title for finding all the pristine items and half way done with the WoD ones. I can truthfully and with a straight face say I've enjoyed myself thus far.

It's really no less grindy than any other MMO fair, I just don't see the hate.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
So you are just reverting back to the old "I don't like it so no one does" argument.
There is lots to do but people don't do it because it is much harder due to no flying.

People don't do it because instead of getting a mount, title, tabard, pre-raid gear, you get garbage. No one had a problem with doing dailies in Quel'Danas, Molten Front, Isle of Thunder, and even Timeless Isle. Did anyone even say anything ever about no flying in those areas? Maybe a little before the patches were released, but they didn't keep making them no-fly zones because people hated it.

The quality of the quests are not the problem, you're digging pretty deep if you have to put words in my mouth. I never said the actual questing was bad, but doing things for the sake of doing them is not how you make MMORPGs.

Do the apexis daily past your 5000 requirement for the legendary...then what? Get the gear? The gear that's worse than LFR gear? What?

Top Bottom