• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Peachpies

People don't do it because instead of getting a mount, title, tabard, pre-raid gear, you get garbage. No one had a problem with doing dailies in Quel'Danas, Molten Front, Isle of Thunder, and even Timeless Isle. Did anyone even say anything ever about no flying in those areas? Maybe a little before the patches were released, but they didn't keep making them no-fly zones because people hated it.

The quality of the quests are not the problem, you're digging pretty deep if you have to put words in my mouth. I never said the actual questing was bad, but doing things for the sake of doing them is not how you make MMORPGs.

Do the apexis daily past your 5000 requirement for the legendary...then what? Get the gear? The gear that's worse than LFR gear? What?
There are many other uses for apexis crystals and that is not even touching on all the other activities you discounted above for no reason. Also all the daily areas you mention were all small 1 zone areas and not an entire continent. You are also still calling everything you don't like garbage and acting like since you think that everyone else does too.

There are many other uses for apexis crystals and that is not even touching on all the other activities you discounted above for no reason. Also all the daily areas you mention were all small 1 zone areas and not an entire continent. You are also still calling everything you don't like garbage and acting like since you think that everyone else does too.

The appix shit is 100% indisputable garbage, literally nobody I know liked that shit.

You must be living in blizzaro world or something.

Are you going to say ashtan is good and people love it next?

EmiPrime

Which is more fun to level and play at 100, mage or warlock? I've never played either and feel like trying something new over summer.

CassSept

I guess since I mained a rogue for the better part of my WoW playtime flying doesn't really change for me much as far as questing goes, but I liked the freedom flying mounts gave me. Be it grinding archaeology, or just flying to do another batch of daily quests, I really liked, for example, the majesty of Vale of Eternal Blossoms. It was definitely a zone designed with flying in mind and no matter how many times I passed it, the huge monument at the heart of it always had an impact on me.

I miss flying, because it gives you a different perspective on the world, and imo in case of better designed zones may give you added appreciation of the effort and scope that goes into development of the game.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Apexis Crystal dailies
For...? A really long grind on gear that's worse than I have.
Harrison Dailies
Garrison bounty dailies
Gathering Professions
For...? Harrison chain is very short. Gold nets very little, and these quests are not an efficient way to chase gold when I can earn more passively through Garrisons (assuming I cared about gold). Professions themselves yield very little in terms of rewards and can primarily be improved through the Garrison itself.
Pet Battles
Again, efficiency is key. Venturing out into the world for pet battles in Draenor is pretty meaningless. Now the leveling curve for pets can be done primarily through the Garrison itself, and most rare WoD pets are netted through the Garrison as well.

The flying conversation is kind of annoying because it goes around in circles with very blunt and simplistic reasoning tied to why it was removed. Flying mounts do not actually improve efficiency on many activities like gathering or quest completion because the design will always be based around a set time spent to accomplish tasks. Better flight points have made Draenor extremely easy to get around.

Stuff like Archaeology isn't even actually bad because there's no flying. A lot of the nodes are just in zones that are too wide, and their placement feels somewhat cumbersome, or split awkwardly on multiple planes. Flying is usually a band-aid for stuff like this, but it would be better if it wasn't needed at all. Mechanically it introduces nothing interesting, and its absence has nothing to do with where the game is at right now.

As far as I'm aware Blizzard hasn't even put in an Archeology title for finding everything in Draenor. WoD is filled with arduous grinds that yield poor rewards or dangling threads. Same set up with Apexis Crystals. With the reputations. With the statue unlocks in the Garrison. This is the stuff in the game that's really unfun and almost feels insulting. Flying doesn't solve any of this stuff. The only thing it does is exasperate the social gulf that exists between players.

Peachpies

The appix shit is 100% indisputable garbage, literally nobody I know liked that shit.

You must be living in blizzaro world or something.

Are you going to say ashtan is good and people love it next?
Whether you like apexis crystals or not doesn't matter because there are pets, mounts, and transmog items that require them, so if you want those items then you have to get apexis crystals.

For...? A really long grind on gear that's worse than I have.
There are other uses than gear.

For...? Harrison chain is very short. Gold nets very little, and these quests are not an efficient way to chase gold when I can earn more passively through Garrisons (assuming I cared about gold). Professions themselves yield very little in terms of rewards and can primarily be improved through the Garrison itself.
The amount of gathering profession items you get from the garrison is not nearly enough if you are actually using them or want to sell them.

Again, efficiency is key. Venturing out into the world for pet battles in Draenor is pretty meaningless. Now the leveling curve for pets can be done primarily through the Garrison itself, and most rare WoD pets are netted through the Garrison as well.
It is not efficient because you can't fly, and you can't do everything related to pet battles in the garrison anyway.

ZenaxPure

So you are just reverting back to the old "I don't like it so no one does" argument.

You're doing basically the same thing for what it's worth. I mean I agree with you, he has a really horrible time trying to understand people can have a different opinion but you aren't really listening to what he has to say either. The things he is saying about rewards are a very real problem with WoD's overall design. Out of all the things you listed the only one that can keep people busy out in the world for more than a week is arch, and yes, it sucks shit without flying. The other things are mostly just bullet point padding that people aren't going to do with or without flying.

Pet battles are still the best go to example 7 months after this expansion has launched. If flying was in the game what exactly would change here? Even with no flying you can catch all the new Draenor pets in around an hour as there are so few of them. After that all the rewarding pet battle content is centralized in the garrison. That is where you get the most pet charms from any of the pet battle dailies, that is the only place the new pet battle daily pets come from, that is where you buy all the rewards. There is just nothing outside your garrison for pet battles in WoD that has any sort of lasting impact. It's a really bad example to try and make your point.

Do the apexis daily past your 5000 requirement for the legendary...then what? Get the gear? The gear that's worse than LFR gear? What?

Try again. Max level apexis gear is a higher ilvl than BRF normal. The problem is that you can't reroll the stats and that it only covers 6 slots. It's good stuff if your spec wants the stats, shit if not. The launch apexis system was fucking awful but at least try to understand why it was actually awful instead of saying nonsense.

Peachpies

You're doing basically the same thing for what it's worth. I mean I agree with you, he has a really horrible time trying to understand people can have a different opinion but you aren't really listening to what he has to say either. The things he is saying about rewards are a very real problem with WoD's overall design. Out of all the things you listed the only one that can keep people busy out in the world for more than a week is arch, and yes, it sucks shit without flying. The other things are mostly just bullet point padding that people aren't going to do with or without flying.

Pet battles are still the best go to example 7 months after this expansion has launched. If flying was in the game what exactly would change here? Even with no flying you can catch all the new Draenor pets in around an hour as there are so few of them. After that all the rewarding pet battle content is centralized in the garrison. That is where you get the most pet charms from any of the pet battle dailies, that is the only place the new pet battle daily pets come from, that is where you buy all the rewards. There is just nothing outside your garrison for pet battles in WoD that has any sort of lasting impact. It's a really bad example to try and make your point.
1 hour is extremely optimistic time and whatever it is would go faster with flying. And there are pet battle dailies throughout draenor outside of the garrison ones so there absolutely is lasting content for pet battles outside the garrison.

ZenaxPure

And there are pet battle dailies throughout draenor outside of the garrison ones so there absolutely is lasting content for pet battles outside the garrison.

This goes back to the reward thing (as charms are the only thing those quests reward). What exactly do you need pet charms for? The only items you can buy with them are items that make leveling pets faster and perky pug outfits. If you can beat all those pet trainers in the first place why exactly would you need items to level other pets faster? You have no purpose to level those pets as there is nothing you can't beat already, unless it is for the sake of leveling them, which is just bad game design.

I mean really, I have 1,178 pet charms sitting in my bag right now that I got exclusively from the garrison pet battle daily and I have nothing to spend them on. Why exactly would I leave my garrison and do those other dailies that only reward pet charms that I have more than I need even for the new 6.2 pet charm rewards.

If those 6.2 rewards would have been in from the start I'd agree with you, problem is they are being added ~7 months after the expansion launched.

Peachpies

This goes back to the reward thing (as charms are the only thing those quests reward). What exactly do you need pet charms for? The only items you can buy with them are items that make leveling pets faster and perky pug outfits. If you can beat all those pet trainers in the first place why exactly would you need items to level other pets faster? You have no purpose to level those pets as there is nothing you can't beat already, unless it is for the sake of leveling them, which is just bad game design.

I mean really, I have 1,178 pet charms sitting in my bag right now that I got exclusively from the garrison pet battle daily and I have nothing to spend them on. Why exactly would I leave my garrison and do those other dailies that only reward pet charms that I have more than I need even for the new 6.2 pet charm rewards.

If those 6.2 rewards would have been in from the start I'd agree with you, problem is they are being added ~7 months after the expansion launched.
There is pet battle content outside of warlords to get pets for and you can always level and upgrade more pets. You are taking the same stance that since you aren't interested in something (or are done with it) there is no point in it.

ZenaxPure

There is pet battle content outside of warlords to get pets

So you're one of those people? It's okay for the new content to suck as long as the old content is there waiting for me?

That is easily the worst argument in defense of anything in Warlords. I paid $50 for this new expansion because I wanted to do new things. I didn't pay $50 so I could go back and do old pet battle content.

Peachpies

So you're one of those people? It's okay for the new content to suck as long as the old content is there waiting for me?

That is easily the worst argument in defense of anything in Warlords. I paid $50 for this new expansion because I wanted to do new things. I didn't pay $50 so I could go back and do old pet battle content.
You were asking, facetiously it seems since you aren't interested in the answer, about the use for pet battle charms and that is a very valid use. People who are newer to the game or did not play it as much in the past will not have all the old content done or all their pets leveled so being able to get additional battle stones would help a lot.

dimb

Whether you like apexis crystals or not doesn't matter because there are pets, mounts, and transmog items that require them, so if you want those items then you have to get apexis crystals.
The actual apexis requirements for many of these rewards is nominal. The true barrier that most of these sit behind is an unguided reputation grind. And really...the pets are not particularly valued when there's often model overlap or better battle pet choices that don't require the grind. The implementation of the mounts for WoD are pretty iffey when the animations don't even seem complete, and again, some of these are recolors from stuff you can pull down from other places. The transmog items aren't even applicable to everyone if the armor type doesn't match what you wear. How very thoughtfully implemented.
The amount of gathering profession items you get from the garrison is not nearly enough if you are actually using them or want to sell them.

It is not efficient because you can't fly, and you can't do everything related to pet battles in the garrison anyway.
I don't really know what to say. I found it more than easy enough to do what I needed to with professions operating entirely out of the garrison. If you are going out into the world to maintain something like mining you are doing it wrong. Even if you were short on resources it would simply be faster and easier to use Garrison earned gold to buy the basic materials on the auction house, because an overabundance exists in the market. Realistically if someone wanted to min-max things they would just work towards having multiple Garrisons, which offer more resources than one could ever possibly use if maintained correctly.

I fail to see how flying would make pet battling in the world more efficient. Navigating around the world is not difficult. As it is now the in Garrison dailies are far and away the most effective pet leveling method though. No incentive to hunt new pets exists beyond being able to pat yourself on the back for the sake of completion, as the pets people previously leveled are almost all just as powerful as they were during MoP.

JSoup

Banned

While I don't disagree, pet charms strike me as a catch up mechanic more than anything. Seems like the logical use would be to use them to catch up on older content.

ZenaxPure

While I don't disagree, pet charms strike me as a catch up mechanic more than anything. Seems like the logical use would be to use them to catch up on older content.

Catch up to what exactly? That is my entire point, the only value in the Warlords pet battle content is to catch you up to Mists pet battle content. The "catch up" is the Warlords pet battle endgame, there is nothing else.

I'm not going crazy here right? That seems like really bad game design.

Peachpies

Catch up to what exactly? That is my entire point, the only value in the Warlords pet battle content is to catch you up to Mists pet battle content. The "catch up" is the Warlords pet battle endgame, there is nothing else.

I'm not going crazy here right? That seems like really bad game design.
To have a better pet collection. Collection activities are not limited to the latest expansion. They didn't want to increase pet level for warlords so you know they think it is ok for pet battles to be a cross expansion activity. Also the celestial stuff was added in the last patch of mists so there is still time for something similar in warlords.

ZenaxPure

Also the celestial stuff was added in the last patch of mists so there is still time for something similar in warlords.

Huh? You're the one getting upset about there being no flying in the game right this second. Telling someone else to not be upset because things could be better in the future seems rather hypocritical doesn't it? If I'm not allowed to complain about the shit job they did with pet battles in WoD you shouldn't be allowed to complain about no flying thing because hey maybe it will get better in a future patch.

Peachpies

Huh? You're the one getting upset about there being no flying in the game right this second. Telling someone else to not be upset because things could be better in the future seems rather hypocritical doesn't it? If I'm not allowed to complain about the shit job they did with pet battles in WoD you shouldn't be allowed to complain about no flying thing because hey maybe it will get better in a future patch.
I didn't tell anyone not to complain, you can complain about whatever you want, I pointed out that in mop the celestial tournament was added in the last patch so it is possible that they are doing the same thing in warlords.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Sometimes I can't tell if I'm in the WoW thread or the Halo thread. They nearly equal in complaining.

JSoup

Banned
I didn't tell anyone not to complain, you can complain about whatever you want, I pointed out that in mop the celestial tournament was added in the last patch so it is possible that they are doing the same thing in warlords.

Doing the same...what? Adding a pet tournament? Maybe. Adding flying? For the fiftieth time, no.

dimb

Let me know when they maybe add a pet tournament two years+ after they put the Celestial Tournament stuff in the game.

Renekton

Sometimes I can't tell if I'm in the WoW thread or the Halo thread. They nearly equal in complaining.
This thread topic is pretty negative, at least in reddit the "this xxx is a joke, blizz has no clue" posts can get downvoted.

I'm still looking forward to tanking Mythic dungeons, but need to convince my friends to resub and wipe with me :)

What do those pet tokens do? I haven't done the pet part of my garrison at all.

And garrisons as a whole feel like they were made for raiders so they didn't have to go out and gather shit in Draenor. Log in and do your garrison chores so you have supplies and then go raid.

ZenaxPure

What do those pet tokens do? I haven't done the pet part of my garrison at all.

You can spend them on cosmetic items for the perky pug pet or tokens that increases a pets level or rarity up to rare.

Sounds harmless enough except for the fact that at the expansion launch all the garrison pet battles were against legendary pets so the fact that the main reward from them was tokens to level up other pets was a big fat joke (for the record you can get some pets from the quest as well but it's entirely RNG, I usually get maybe 1 pet a month doing the quest every single day - the main reward is this pet charm currency). If you were at a point where you could beat the garrison pet battles you had no use for that crap anymore (hence why I have over 1100 of the things and you only get 10 per day from the garrison quest).

I wouldn't really call this much of my personal opinion either. 6.1 made sweeping changes to the garrison pet battle content nerfing every single encounter into the ground to the point where most of the fights can be solo'd with 1 pet. Pretty obvious blizz saw the huge glaring flaw with the whole thing and fixed it accordingly.

VoxPop

Lol my girl has been playing diligently doing raids and such. She's at 680 ilvl now while I'm hovering with my main at around 670. Still haven't even gotten my 715 legendary ring.

I just picked myself up a 970 so I want to get back into it but don't really see a point with the patch looming. I'm guessing a majority of the gear will become useless? All I have been doing is my garrison missions on my alts once in the morning and once at night. Mostly just for the gold to use on tokens. When is the new patch supposed to be dropping?

Also what should I be prepping for the patch? Should I just unload the Savage Bloods and other things? I'm already at 8k-10k garrison resources per alt as well.

Robin64

Patch is probably at the end of June, the PTR updates at htis point seem to be just tweaks.

You might want to get your Legendary questline up to date if that's something you care about, just so you can start right away on the next step when 6.2 hits. It actually requires some naval mission stuff, so might as well be on the quests from the get-go.

As for Savage Bloods, I personally just spent all mine on myself and crafted my level 4 weapon. That's now sitting there nice and ready to begin working on levels 5 and 6.

JSoup

Banned
Patch is probably at the end of June, the PTR updates at htis point seem to be just tweaks.

A lot of people are thinking it will coincide with the FF14 expansion launch, similar to how FF14 held their last major patch until WoW released 6.1.

This thread topic is pretty negative, at least in reddit the "this xxx is a joke, blizz has no clue" posts can get downvoted.

I feel like you haven't been to the sub in the last couple months, if anything its worse.

http://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/38qvii/62_pvp_gear_clarification/

They're right though, they don't have a clue, and this shit is a joke.

I like the especially insulting 'we appreciate your feedback but were just going to throw it away and still do the thing that literally everyone hates. Because fuck you.'

Its like they're asking for people to quit.

Also the 'wild' season still sounds super stupid.

Robin64

So I finished this week's Garrison Questline on the PTR. Pretty interesting but really short. What's amusing is that it's a lead-in for a section of the HFC raid, but most people will see the bit of the raid it leads to before seeing the questline just due to how staggered these things are.

You go under Auchindoun into a new chamber with Yrel and Lady Liadran, and find the place all felled up. Gorefiend is in a pool, eating souls, and you stop him. Then he runs off to HFC.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Well, I caved and re-subbed. Not at WoD content yet, but if anyone's up for some leveling goodness around 41 I'm on a resto Shaman.

edit: Oh god, I just found that my graphics were set for 200% render scale, and vert sync was on. Changed to 100% with vert off and now I have that silky 60fps.

4pOt2Lq.png

lazygecko

Still searching for a successor to Satrina Buff Frames... What I liked the most about it was how I could make a horizontal time bar near the center of my screen for short period buffs like damage cooldowns or procs. The auras added in Cataclysm do a decent enough job with showing class-specific procs, but there's often specific ones I still want to monitor and especially the duration I want to have an easier time tracking.

Still searching for a successor to Satrina Buff Frames... What I liked the most about it was how I could make a horizontal time bar near the center of my screen for short period buffs like damage cooldowns or procs. The auras added in Cataclysm do a decent enough job with showing class-specific procs, but there's often specific ones I still want to monitor and especially the duration I want to have an easier time tracking.

Use WeakAuras? It literally does everything.

Sigh, another week, another handful of fingers in the butt. Did firelands, DS, Ulduar 5 times, and ICC 4. Nuffin.

I'm at the point where I log in to do my raid farming, then maybe raid BRF if my schedule lines up with my guilds. I know usually its never as bad as we think, but this is the first time in a long while that I feel no reason to log in maybe once, twice a week if raiding.

Robin64

Ugh, Infected Orc again in Europe. Thought there was protection against having it repeat the same quest the next day.

Edit: Or the Wowhead tool hasn't updated yet.

Raven can do that.

Every time I look at my screen shots I feel the urge to play again.

But then all I have to do is look at mmo champion or /r/wow and the urge is instantly gone.

Tarazet

Sigh, another week, another handful of fingers in the butt. Did firelands, DS, Ulduar 5 times, and ICC 4. Nuffin.

RNG gonna RNG. I did Eye of Eternity and Onyxia's lair on 11 alts, nothing (OK, a dupe of Azure Drake, I need the blue one). I farm Dragon Soul on my main only.. and Blazing Drake dropped this week.

It'll be nice if the apexis one for Harrison shows up this year.

In other news, still trying to make boatloads of money off of my garrison. The money missions are just not showing up despite having a level 3 in. Do I need to be 675 or something? I have a bunch of people at 630-645 but I'm holding onto the rest of my upgrade tokens for when I get Harrison.

Top Bottom