• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

RPGCrazied

If you don't care about this game why do you care about flying?

Cause its been in the game since BC? If I didn't care about the game just one bit, I wouldn't be subbing back to it.

No they're the little interactable objects on the ground that glow when you mouse over them.

Do yourself a favor, install HandyNotes and then install the HandyNotes_DraenorTreasures addons.

It's still a very time-consuming affair (particularly Nagrand) but getting 100 shouldn't be horrible. I've done 200. But hey if you need Garrison resources still it's the fastest, biggest boost you can earn.

Ok, thanks!

RPGCrazied

Also, this says doing this on one character unlocks flight for all of your 90+ characters. It doesn't specifically say they have to be 100, so can alts fly at 90 when this level 100 does all these achievements for flight?

ZenaxPure

It's still a very time-consuming affair (particularly Nagrand) but getting 100 shouldn't be horrible. I've done 200. But hey if you need Garrison resources still it's the fastest, biggest boost you can earn.

This is actually what lead me to getting the achievement in the first place haha. Spent the first day at 100 just getting treasures because you have no where near enough to get a T3 garrison when you first hit 100 (without just waiting around obviously).

Actually think the only treasures I don't have are some of the Nagrand ones because frankly it's more frustrating than fun running to the glider spot, missing your mark by like 2 inches, then having to run all the way back to the glider goblin.

Peachpies

Also, this says doing this on one character unlocks flight for all of your 90+ characters. It doesn't specifically say they have to be 100, so can alts fly at 90 when this level 100 does all these achievements for flight?
Yes once you have the achievement you can fly on any level 90+ character in Draenor.

Actually think the only treasures I don't have are some of the Nagrand ones because frankly it's more frustrating than fun running to the glider spot, missing your mark by like 2 inches, then having to run all the way back to the glider goblin.

I studied youtube videos verrrrrrry carefully for those. I never missed a single landing though I had some close calls.

ampere

I actually think this is a great way to handle flying. Having it disabled initially works, but disabled the whole expac is overkill. I already have those achievements so I guess I just need the new reps.

In other news... I destroyed all my Salvage Yards today. It was getting too grindy and I was starting to feel some burnout from it. I got a little too into doing alt Garrisons for all the extra gold it brings, but I need to dial it back a bit.

JSoup

Banned
I can live with this. I like me some rep grinds and my reward is I can fly whenever I feel like dicking about the world.

The real question is whether or not this will be implemented in the next expansion

I'd bet money on them going back to the TBC/Wrath/Mists flying paradigm. No flying until you hit the level cap, designate 'no fly' zones for certain questing hubs. No way they're repeating Draenor since they clearly can't handle the volume of complaints about it.

The real question is whether or not this will be implemented in the next expansion

I don't mind this way. I'm pro-flying at cap, but definitely no flying during leveling, and a big meta-achievement that makes sure you have all the content covered in a non-trivial way sounds good to me.

ZenaxPure

I studied youtube videos verrrrrrry carefully for those. I never missed a single landing though I had some close calls.

Hah, I always just winged it hence why I missed them. Shit, some of them I didn't even know where they were ahead of time and was looking for them while gliding down. Not really prepared at all, but whatever.

In other news... I destroyed all my Salvage Yards today. It was getting too grindy and I was starting to feel some burnout from it. I got a little too into doing alt Garrisons for all the extra gold it brings, but I need to dial it back a bit.

I've actually been thinking about this as well. Salvage yard isn't really great gold on its own (since it's mostly just reliant on RNG) and it's fairly time consuming to do. The big thing for me is if the changes in 6.2 make it way faster. I save all my crates on my alts for monday night which leads to me having to stop constantly and vendor garbage before I can go back to opening more crates. I wouldn't mind it so much if I could just open them all in one straight shot and then vendor.

TheYanger

I liked the additions of treasures, I'd like to see MORE jumping puzzle style treasures added in future expansions. Flying at cap just tells you to ignore that content until you get to max level so that you can then ignore the content again by just flying over it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
This fella look right?
Yeah, that. I obliterated the giant thing that it said I needed 3 people for and a few other named big boy monsters, so I figured a random one without any warnings on it would be safe. NOPE.

ampere

I liked the additions of treasures, I'd like to see MORE jumping puzzle style treasures added in future expansions. Flying at cap just tells you to ignore that content until you get to max level so that you can then ignore the content again by just flying over it.

Yeah, for leveling and the initial patch it's neat. But 8 months later, I dunno I think adding flying is totally fine. You can clean-up what you didn't get, and explore in a different way.

It would have been interesting to see how no flying panned out if Garrisons and Ashran weren't things and there were more incentives to be out and about.

OMG YOU GUYS!

WE DID IT!

http://www.wowhead.com/news=247882/dev-watercooler-flying-in-draenor

In an upcoming PTR build, players can unlock Draenor Flying by completing the Draenor Pathfinder achievement. This will require players to complete many exploration achievements:

Exploring Draenor's zones
Collecting 100 Treasures
Completing Loremaster of Draenor and Securing Draenor achievements
Hitting Revered with three Tanaan Jungle reputations

You have to get loremaster to fly?

"Do everything you would want a flying mount for and we'll give you flying back" is kind of amazing and hilarious, gg blizzard.

Exactly. What a fucking joke.

What a bunch of fucking assholes. They're basically having you grind out flying now too, which is an excuse for them not to add content. "Oh you want to fly , go do EVERYTHING FIRST and then you can fly" By the time I do everything I won't want to fucking fly, I'll want to turn my fucking sub off.

Tacitus_

Yeah, that. I obliterated the giant thing that it said I needed 3 people for and a few other named big boy monsters, so I figured a random one without any warnings on it would be safe. NOPE.

You said you were playing a shaman? Just pop Earth Elemental and squash them.

If the content were more compelling there'd be little fear of players wanting to skip over it. You can't force it and some people just aren't interested in anything but pvp/raiding.

The best jumping puzzles in the game were left behind in Mists. Get to the top of the bridge on Timeless Isle while waiting for Huolon to pop. Jump the electricity maze in Isle of Thunder. Nagrand gliders were a neat gimmick but I don't really want stuff like that to come back unless there's a greedy darkmoon faire guy on the landing pad who will taxi me back for gold.

Although arguably Vanilla had the best jumping puzzles because if you angled yourself correctly you could scale any non vertical surface.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
You have to get loremaster to fly?

Exactly. What a fucking joke.

What a bunch of fucking assholes. They're basically having you grind out flying now too, which is an excuse for them not to add content. "Oh you want to fly , go do EVERYTHING FIRST and then you can fly" By the time I do everything I won't want to fucking fly, I'll want to turn my fucking sub off.

It's not a fucking joke though, it's the fucking point. They have content in the game specifically designed to be done without flying. Prove you have already done that content (by getting the achievements), and you can then fly.

My post was tongue-in-cheek because I knew people would be getting mad about it (as you proved), but it seems like a pretty logical compromise.

Dice

You said you were playing a shaman? Just pop Earth Elemental and squash them.
I did, and my garrison followers! I think they already focused aggro on me too fast since I thought I was only fighting a beast.

ZenaxPure

The best jumping puzzles in the game were left behind in Mists. Get to the top of the bridge on Timeless Isle while waiting for Huolon to pop. Jump the electricity maze in Isle of Thunder.

Molten Front jumping platforms is probably my favorite actually. Enjoyed that if you failed you still got onto that tiny island that the platforms lead to but if you succeeded you got a buff that gave you a high jump while on that island.

Molten Front jumping platforms is probably my favorite actually. Enjoyed that if you failed you still got onto that tiny island that the platforms lead to but if you succeeded you got a buff that gave you a high jump while on that island.

Oh dang I forgot those. Mostly because Molten Front got pretty boring fast. :p

It's not a fucking joke though, it's the fucking point. They have content in the game specifically designed to be done without flying. Prove you have already done that content (by getting the achievements), and you can then fly.

My post was tongue-in-cheek because I knew people would be getting mad about it (as you proved), but it seems like a pretty logical compromise.

I disagree because the last 4 expansions didn't work that way. This is blizzard still clinging to the idea that we have to see every piece of content they made, AND throw in some time gating that everyone is sooooo happy about from previous expansions.

This is them literally giving people flying in the most passive aggressive way possible as well as making it grindy as fuck to keep people subbed for longer. It's another example of bad decision making that they've been making for the entire expansion. If they created a world people wanted to be in and didn't mind the lack of flying, this wouldn't be an issue. As it stands the world isn't interesting and there's not many reasons to leave your garrison.

Well, I guess now there is. You have to leave your garrison to go do shit you might not want to do in order to get something that has always been available in the same manner for the last 4 expansions. It's a bullshit compromise in that it isn't really a compromise. Blizzard gets people out into the world, which is what they said they wanted to do, but they aren't getting them out in the world with compelling content, instead they're just recycling. It's a dick move.

ZenaxPure

Oh dang I forgot those. Mostly because Molten Front got pretty boring fast. :p

I actually loved the shit out of Molten Front myself haha, probably my personal favorite daily hub. About a month into WoD I actually went back there and started doing it again because I never got that pet you could get from the bag you got from trading the molten front currency for, was nice to go back and see a zone that looked like some effort actually went into creating it.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I disagree because the last 4 expansions didn't work that way. This is blizzard still clinging to the idea that we have to see every piece of content they made, AND throw in some time gating that everyone is sooooo happy about from previous expansions.

This is them literally giving people flying in the most passive aggressive way possible as well as making it grindy as fuck to keep people subbed for longer. It's another example of bad decision making that they've been making for the entire expansion. If they created a world people wanted to be in and didn't mind the lack of flying, this wouldn't be an issue. As it stands the world isn't interesting and there's not many reasons to leave your garrison.

Well, I guess now there is. You have to leave your garrison to go do shit you might not want to do in order to get something that has always been available in the same manner for the last 4 expansions. It's a bullshit compromise in that it isn't really a compromise. Blizzard gets people out into the world, which is what they said they wanted to do, but they aren't getting them out in the world with compelling content, instead they're just recycling. It's a dick move.

I don't disagree that Draenor largely fails when it comes to overall content, but I think that's a pretty separate, larger issue that flying isn't a huge part of. I also think it's kind of weird to even look at the requirements to fly as some new grind, as everything other than the tanaan reps is shit that people will either have completed entirely or have a lot of progress towards. I am not subscribed at the moment and don't quite remember, but I'm sure I either have or am pretty close to done with the loremaster, explorer, and treasure achievements without even actively pursuing them.

I will add though, one thing I AM happy about is that my alts will be able to fly out of the gate. But I also feel like that's also only there because Blizzard knew if they asked to have this done on everyone who wanted to fly people would fucking revolt.

Anyone know of a way to track your treasure progress? And how much of a pain are the apexis dailies? I've never done them.

Peachpies

I will add though, one thing I AM happy about is that my alts will be able to fly out of the gate. But I also feel like that's also only there because Blizzard knew if they asked to have this done on everyone who wanted to fly people would fucking revolt.

Anyone know of a way to track your treasure progress? And how much of a pain are the apexis dailies? I've never done them.
You can track the treasure progress with the treasure hunter, master treasure hunter, and grand treasure hunter achievements under Exploration > Draenor. Most of the apexis dailies go pretty quickly and if the rare mobs are up they go a lot faster.

I would install HandyNotes+HandyNotes_DraenorTreasures. It keeps track of what you've collected/not collected per zone and marks your map. They're consumed as quests so if all else fails you can use the /run command on each treasure's page on wowhead.

Apexis dailies are still awful and nobody likes doing them. On my alts all my apexis was coming from garrison buildings.

What is the Securing Draenor achievement exactly? Something new in 6.2?

It's under 'Quests.' It's all 8(?) of the bonus objectives for the max-level subzones like the roost in southeastern Shadowmoon and Broken Precipice.

Anoregon

What is the Securing Draenor achievement exactly? Something new in 6.2?

It's the achievement for having done every apexis daily, which you can speed up by buying the mission scroll things they added back whenever.

I don't disagree that Draenor largely fails when it comes to overall content, but I think that's a pretty separate, larger issue that flying isn't a huge part of. I also think it's kind of weird to even look at the requirements to fly as some new grind, as everything other than the tanaan reps is shit that people will either have completed entirely or have a lot of progress towards. I am not subscribed at the moment and don't quite remember, but I'm sure I either have or am pretty close to done with the loremaster, explorer, and treasure achievements without even actively pursuing them.

Well, I look at it like this: They're mad that people don't do their content the way they want and the blame flying for it. It's as simple as that. previous expansions have designed content with flying in mind and it made things better. Instead of designing with flying in mind they're locking flying behind loremaster, world explorer, securing draenor and new rep grinds. All of that is still continually treating flying as a problem and it isn't one. It's never been one. The world they created is the problem. The systems they've locked people into are the problem. They have people at the top who don't want to make content that has to deal with flying as a variable and no flying would work if we didn't have 4 past expansions where flying was part of the experience.

You can track the treasure progress with the treasure hunter, master treasure hunter, and grand treasure hunter achievements under Exploration > Draenor. Most of the apexis dailies go pretty quickly and if the rare mobs are up they go a lot faster.

Thank you. :)

ZenaxPure

It's under 'Quests.' It's all 8(?) of the bonus objectives for the max-level subzones like the roost in southeastern Shadowmoon and Broken Precipice.

12 according to the achievement. Worth noting though that one of those is The Pit and you can't actually buy missives for the elite apexis zones for whatever reason, but, those tend to show up more often as one of the daily quests. I imagine most people who played the first month of the expansion have the pit done anyway from the era of 40 man apexis garbage.

Magnus

Oh shit. I can return to WoW (lapsed subscription, currently) and re-up my subscription using in-game gold? I didn't think I could actually buy a game token with gold unless I was already in-game with a paid sub.

Huh. That's awesome. I think I have like 160k gold banked, so that's fantastic.

Someone confirm for me if I'm wrong, please.

Robin64

Oh shit. I can return to WoW (lapsed subscription, currently) and re-up my subscription using in-game gold? I didn't think I could actually buy a game token with gold unless I was already in-game with a paid sub.

You're spot on, you can do exactly that.

lazygecko

Yes. US tokens average at about 20k gold, and EU ones at around 42k. Don't ask me why there's such a large regional difference.

Tacitus_

Yeah, 40k per month for EU and last I heard it was around 20k per month for NA.

Magnus

Oh man, it says "not enough gold" when I attempt to do so via the log-in screen, but I'm quite positive I had over 100k at least....

Is this...possibly because I haven't logged in in ages and the client doesn't know how much I have till I actually log in...?

Edit- Never mind. Looked it up. It's a bug. I checked the AH for tokens on a lower level/accessible character, logged out, and now the option's available. I guess this is a known solution.

This is truly fantastic. I'm thrilled this is a thing!

How often do WoW Token prices update? Daily/weekly?

Dice

I plan to hop on the coin-farming train to continue my sub after I reach 100.

Peachpies

Oh man, it says "not enough gold" when I attempt to do so via the log-in screen, but I'm quite positive I had over 100k at least....

Is this...possibly because I haven't logged in in ages and the client doesn't know how much I have till I actually log in...?
Try doing it from the Character select screen of the realm where you have most of your money.

phierce

In other news...we'd like to give a big thanks to Blizzard for Explosive Discoveries being the daily.

fuck off, Blizzard

Anoregon

The world they created is the problem. The systems they've locked people into are the problem. They have people at the top who don't want to make content that has to deal with flying as a variable and no flying would work if we didn't have 4 past expansions where flying was part of the experience.

This is one of those big, lofty things that's easy to say but pretty much impossible to actually do anything about. You are basically saying the entire physical design and engine of the game needs to be redesigned so that flying can be better integrated into it as more than just the best/fastest method of travel.

Like it or not, blizzard saying things about how flying causes people to skip the majority of outdoor content for things like quests (fly over all the bad guys and plop down on the objective, fly away) are absolutely valid, true concerns. It's pretty fallacious to act like it's blizzards fault that people are always going to want to take the fastest, most efficient route to achieving an objective when working towards a reward. I've seen the argument that "if the content was better people wouldn't want to skip it", but honestly that's just empty rhetoric with not much to back it up whereas pretty much everything we know about gaming (and human nature in general) shows people will always take the quickest path to victory.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
So if flying is being implemented as a reward for completing all ground based content in WoD does that mean they don't plan to add another patch that's carrying a new zone with this expansion?

Top Bottom