• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Wow.. so it's not WoW, but I was just reading a news post about FFXIV: Heavensward..

You have to complete all of the vanilla content before you can step into the expansion, it seems. Looks like Blizz don't have quite the worst ideas around right now.

If they're planning on trivializing the vanilla content at patch release this maps pretty closely to vanilla WoW gear progression. You needed a full set of x gear from the previous tier to experience the next. But mapping that design to story progression is...interesting. If I were considering buying FFXIV today I'd refuse to buy the expansion until I was done with vanilla content. Poor business decision at minimum.

Nothing for a months, then this happened:

F0vbXom.png

I WILL SIPHON SOUL YOUR LUCK PLS K THX

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
It looks like they changed the legendary garrison shipyard mission from retrieving a "Pearl of Farahlon" to something about attacking Gul'dans flagship and getting a draenic sea chart.

I think they're either not rubbing it in that we're getting farahlon...or the next expac will take place on draenor again and this is the setup.

Weird.

Maybe next expansion is on both draenor and Azeroth at the same time with a burning legion thing.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
They said they're not gonna split the zones ever again like they did with Cata IIRC, but I don't know where they'd put it on Azeroth anymore.

But people act like the only reason patches are released is to spite competition.

I'm sure it's part of it, but if they really wanted to poach people from other MMOs they would mimick (steal) features of those MMOs, and release it BEFORE the competition.

Considering they still haven't done their version of public quests you're rally asking too much of them.

It's a shame because those were great.

davepoobond

They said they're not gonna split the zones ever again like they did with Cata IIRC, but I don't know where they'd put it on Azeroth anymore.

Maybe they do something weird where half of the continent is draenor and the other half is Azeroth in some weird time/space melding thing.

That could actually be cool. Looks like a 0% chance we kill Gul'dan this expac, but this is somewhat OK since he's actually a good villain.

I'm reflecting on the Big Bads with storylines tied to Raids WoW has had since Wrath.

Nefarian (again)
Deathwing
Ragnaros (again)
Cho'Gall/Sinestra
Sha of Fear
Grand Empress Shek'zeer
Lei Shen
Garrosh
Blackhand

It's hard to say at a glance where Gul'dan would sit on a ranked version of this list. He has some very strong ties to the lore but WoW has oversold us on 'boy he's wily and hard to find, I bet we barely see him at all during actual quests and he only sticks around long enough to taunt us about how pitiful everything we do is before retreating to do...whatever the fuck it is he's doing.' The payoff may not be worth it. His greatest sin so far is being what we already knew he was, a catalyst in corrupting Orcs with fel energy, a story we've already seen in TBC. Tanaan had better be some baaaaaad shit for me to want to 'get' him considering how effective we've been in thwarting him during the legendary ring quest and taking down Warlords left and right in dungeons and raids.

JSoup

Banned
Wow.. so it's not WoW, but I was just reading a news post about FFXIV: Heavensward..

You have to complete all of the vanilla content before you can step into the expansion, it seems. Looks like Blizz don't have quite the worst ideas around right now.

It's not as big a deal as that article makes it out to be. It's not like WoW where if you want to try a new class and then play that class in the latest content, you either have to buy a level boost or run through all the old content. FF14 allows for one character to play as any class pretty easily and leveling any class outside of your main can be done fairly quickly via pugging. Unless you just have to have more than one character, you'll only go through the vanilla content once.

Robin64

It's not as big a deal as that article makes it out to be.

It's a pretty big deal that I could return to XIV by buying the expansion and not be able to play the expansion.

It would be like the next WoW expansion not letting people play if they haven't done the ring questline and expecting them to do that first.

Meh. This isn't the place for this anyway.

JSoup

Banned
It's a pretty big deal that I could return to XIV by buying the expansion and not be able to play the expansion.

As you stated earlier, the vanilla content will be trivialized to help speed up people moving from the start to current content. WoW does that too, if you're not the proper level, you'll still need to putter around with older content before joining the masses.

But yeah, different topic.

Purdy

Quick question instead of me heading to that thread, so does all the FFXIV stuff happen when you're levelling up or you have to do stuff once max level and then get to play expansion, if so that is completely different to WoW really.

JSoup

Banned
Quick question instead of me heading to that thread, so does all the FFXIV stuff happen when you're levelling up or you have to do stuff once max level and then get to play expansion, if so that is completely different to WoW really.

That's the one major difference, you have to be finished with the basic story plus all the lead in stuff they added before you can access the expansion quests. You'll be max level in your main class long before you even hit 3/4th of the way through the story. Supposedly, from what I got from poking around the games forums, a change will be pushed so that when you hit level 50 in your first class (the current cap) and have your classes relic gear (which will happen within an hour of hitting 50), you'll be handed a quest that basically says "drop what you're doing, we need you in expansion land".

Robin64

The latter. You hit max level before finishing the 2.0 content, then you have to do all the patch questlines too at max level. And there's a lot.

JSoup

Banned
The latter. You hit max level before finishing the 2.0 content, then you have to do all the patch questlines too at max level. And there's a lot.

Well, the patched in questlines amount to around 60 quests. If over half of them weren't bogged down with three novels worth of text and the other half bogged down with 'visit these 5 places repeatedly' crap, you could do it in an hour or two.

That's the funny thing about it. FF14 makes it easy to get immersed in, but goddamn if I don't just sigh every five quests and wish it would be the simple WoW 'kill this many X and bring me Y amount of Z, thanks' every now and then.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Finally bought another month so I could actually play the WoD content. Decided to 90 boost a fresh character, an Orc Shaman. It's pretty fuckin rad so far at level 92.

I ran across something very weird. Found a giant boar creature next to the cracking plains or whatever they're called and when I fought it for a while it died prematurely then a group of like 6-8 people came out and killed me rather quickly even with all my totems and shit out. They immediately faded away and then I used my resurrect spell. I waited around a bit but it/they didn't respawn.

Tacitus_

Finally bought another month so I could actually play the WoD content. Decided to 90 boost a fresh character, an Orc Shaman. It's pretty fuckin rad so far at level 92.

I ran across something very weird. Found a giant boar creature next to the cracking plains or whatever they're called and when I fought it for a while it died prematurely then a group of like 6-8 people came out and killed me rather quickly even with all my totems and shit out. They immediately faded away and then I used my resurrect spell. I waited around a bit but it/they didn't respawn.

Sounds like a rare (not that they are that rare) mob that has helpers come in during the fight.

cxtVNwo.jpg

This fella look right?

Shahadan

So they caved as planned. Shame.

At least it has requirements I can get behind.
Wouldn't be surprised if it was the plan all along, but that's tinfoil hat material.

Entropia

No One Remembers
OMG YOU GUYS!

WE DID IT!

http://www.wowhead.com/news=247882/dev-watercooler-flying-in-draenor

In an upcoming PTR build, players can unlock Draenor Flying by completing the Draenor Pathfinder achievement. This will require players to complete many exploration achievements:

Exploring Draenor's zones
Collecting 100 Treasures
Completing Loremaster of Draenor and Securing Draenor achievements
Hitting Revered with three Tanaan Jungle reputations

Blizzard said:
We appreciate the spirited discussion on the topic of flying. The subject has brought out passionate viewpoints and sparked insightful conversations on our official forums and blogs, on community sites, and in chat channels. Your feedback has been a valuable part of the ongoing conversations within Blizzard as well, and today, we’d like to share some updated plans for how we’ll handle flight going forward.
The Thrill of Discovery

At the heart of the initial plan to restrict flight in Draenor (even after players reach level 100) lies the design goal of providing the best moment-to-moment gameplay possible in the outdoor world. From navigating the lava flows of the Molten Front in Patch 4.2, to breaching the Thunder King’s stronghold in Patch 5.2, to reaching the heights of the Ordon Sanctuary on Timeless Isle in Patch 5.4, to uncovering secrets deep within Gorgrond’s jungles on Draenor, World of Warcraft is full of memorable moments that are only possible when players explore the world by ground. And as we’ve continued to develop content over the years, we’ve focused more and more on providing players with these kinds of experiences.

However, while we firmly believe that keeping your feet on the ground is a key part of discovery in WoW, we also recognize that breaking free from those restrictions can be fun and rewarding as well, especially for those who’ve already fully experienced the game’s world content. With that in mind, we’re planning some changes in the near future that will allow players to enjoy their hard-earned flying mounts in Draenor—in a way that doesn’t compromise the excitement of ground-based exploration.
Mastering the Outdoor World

In an upcoming Public Test Realm build, we will be introducing a new meta-achievement called Draenor Pathfinder. You’ll earn this achievement in Patch 6.2 by mastering the outdoor environment of Draenor—exploring Draenor’s zones, collecting 100 treasures in Draenor, completing the Draenor Loremaster and Securing Draenor achievements, and raising the three new Tanaan Jungle reputations to Revered. Initially, this achievement will award a rylak mount: the Soaring Skyterror, one of the native beasts that roam Draenor’s skies. Players will remain ground-bound on Draenor until a small follow-up patch (6.2.x), when all players who have earned Draenor Pathfinder on at least one character will unlock the ability to fly in Draenor on all their level 90+ characters.

We believe this strikes the right balance between ensuring ground-based content lives up to its full potential, while providing players who’ve already fully experienced Draenor’s outdoor world extra freedom to “break the rules.” This also provides a general blueprint going forward for content to come. Players will explore new and undiscovered lands from the ground, and then once they’ve fully mastered those environments—a notion that continues to evolve with each new expansion—they can take to the skies and experience the world from a new vantage point.

Thank you for your heartfelt feedback. We’ll see you in (and soon, above) Tanaan Jungle.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
So basically you need to have done everything that would require flying anyway before you can fly.

I don't really give a crap either way, but goddamn I wish they'd listen to feedback about shit that matters like the pvp gear or mount animations.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
"Do everything you would want a flying mount for and we'll give you flying back" is kind of amazing and hilarious, gg blizzard.

Won

It's a start, but gating it like that sounds like it could backfire even more than the "no flying announcment".

Purdy

Sounds like a great decision to me, gets people out doing stuff and rewards those who put in the most effort with convenience :)

RPGCrazied

Finally, blizzard fucking compromises. I might unfreeze the account now, but:

Any of this require raiding? But thanks for the compromise. Wish it was back to the old way, but at least we can fly after the achievements.

davepoobond

lol @ the requirements. no one is doing that shit, they're just going to complain harder. just as well, i suppose.

i think its a fine compromise for during the expansion. once the expansion is over hopefully they just enable it.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Finally, blizzard fucking compromises. I might unfreeze the account now, but:

Any of this require raiding? But thanks for the compromise. Wish it was back to the old way, but at least we can fly after the achievements.

It's all solo, outdoor draenor stuff.

TheYanger

I still don't understand how people are so mad about something so meaningless as flying. Froze your account over something that literally does nothing useful? Jesus christ man.

And no, none of it requires raiding. All of it is basically the stuff that flying would trivialize, so it's the right way to do it.

Anoregon

I still don't understand how people are so mad about something so meaningless as flying. Froze your account over something that literally does nothing useful? Jesus christ man.

And no, none of it requires raiding. All of it is basically the stuff that flying would trivialize, so it's the right way to do it.

I want to hover over my garrison doing nothing while waiting for raids to form/queue, not walk around it!

Purdy

lol @ the requirements. no one is doing that shit, they're just going to complain harder. just as well, i suppose.

i think its a fine compromise for during the expansion. once the expansion is over hopefully they just enable it.

They are? Most of the comments on the forums+subreddit seem to be positive and the most upvoted ones, reddit in particularly has been incredibly negative of recent.

lazygecko

It sounds like a case of "but we need to make sure players experience all this content we made!" syndrome that's been getting worse since developers started tracking player statistics.

ZenaxPure

It's a fair way to handle it I think and alleviates the only real issue I have with the lack of flying, that being that once the content is no longer relevant being stuck to the ground just sucks shit and makes me extra not want to go out into the world and do anything else.

I've been done with every single one of those requirements (minus the new reps obviously) for literally months now. Long before 6.1 for every single one of them except Securing Draenor because Iron Siegeworks appeared like 1 time time before you could just buy apexis dailies so I may as well had been done with that one too.

I actually think the better part of this news is that you get a Rylak mount as well, I'm not the guy that has a problem with blizz store mounts or anything (especially as I've purchased one in the past) but it did really rub me the wrong way that they made one of the most iconic Draenor monsters a blizz store mount instead of something you could earn from just playing the game. Should have been like a Darmac drop or something.

Ok, I have loremaster, but not Securing Draenor. Eeek. And I don't even have 50 treasures yet. Are those from archaeology?

No they're the little interactable objects on the ground that glow when you mouse over them.

Do yourself a favor, install HandyNotes and then install the HandyNotes_DraenorTreasures addons.

It's still a very time-consuming affair (particularly Nagrand) but getting 100 shouldn't be horrible. I've done 200. But hey if you need Garrison resources still it's the fastest, biggest boost you can earn.

Top Bottom