• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

TheYanger

If the content were more compelling there'd be little fear of players wanting to skip over it. You can't force it and some people just aren't interested in anything but pvp/raiding.

The best jumping puzzles in the game were left behind in Mists. Get to the top of the bridge on Timeless Isle while waiting for Huolon to pop. Jump the electricity maze in Isle of Thunder. Nagrand gliders were a neat gimmick but I don't really want stuff like that to come back unless there's a greedy darkmoon faire guy on the landing pad who will taxi me back for gold.

Although arguably Vanilla had the best jumping puzzles because if you angled yourself correctly you could scale any non vertical surface.

You say that like players won't always take the easy way out if you give it to them. People don't have a problem fighting mobs, it's fun. But if you let them just queue for lfr and get all the best loot without actually pressing buttons, they would.

Tacitus_

This is one of those big, lofty things that's easy to say but pretty much impossible to actually do anything about. You are basically saying the entire physical design and engine of the game needs to be redesigned so that flying can be better integrated into it as more than just the best/fastest method of travel.

Like it or not, blizzard saying things about how flying causes people to skip the majority of outdoor content for things like quests (fly over all the bad guys and plop down on the objective, fly away) are absolutely valid, true concerns. It's pretty fallacious to act like it's blizzards fault that people are always going to want to take the fastest, most efficient route to achieving an objective when working towards a reward. I've seen the argument that "if the content was better people wouldn't want to skip it", but honestly that's just empty rhetoric with not much to back it up whereas pretty much everything we know about gaming (and human nature in general) shows people will always take the quickest path to victory.

They had a reasonable middle ground with the "no flying till max level and in newly patched in zones". At least they are sorta going back to that.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Blizzard is going to add an exploring/quest/rep achievement that gives a rylak mount that will also allow flying in a small post 6.2 patch http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/19800551/dev-watercooler-flying-in-draenor-6-10-2015.

I really like the solution they chose, and it seems to me like they put a lot of thought into it. Being that it's going to be a small post-6.2 patch makes me think that it was directly because of all of the discussions with the community as well.

Good job Blizzard devs.

EmiPrime

This would be a great middle ground if the WOD reputations and apexis quests weren't among the worst, laziest content Blizzard have come up with post-vanilla.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Failed killing that thing again because like 4 beasts decided to spawn in the middle of it. Ughhhh...

Edit: And now beat them barely getting a scratch...

None of these requirements are that hard at all. People who are complaining about it have no idea what it actually entails.

The worst part will be the reps, which hopefully they've fixed due to the response they got regarding the ones already in game.

ZenaxPure

This is one of those big, lofty things that's easy to say but pretty much impossible to actually do anything about. You are basically saying the entire physical design and engine of the game needs to be redesigned so that flying can be better integrated into it as more than just the best/fastest method of travel.

I feel like the thing also being glossed over here is that saying this sucks because we always had flying is a bit disingenuous. Blizzard has always tried to strike a balance between flight and no flight, even in the expansion they added flight. TBC daily hubs had enemies that would aggro you and attack you in the sky or cannons that would knock you to the ground, in Cata tol barad and the molten front were ground only and most of the Deepholm dailies took place in caves. MoP had ground only zones and the 5.1 daily hubs had stuff that would knock you out of the sky as well.

This no flight thing isn't new to WoD, it was just poorly handled in WoD.

So if flying is being implemented as a reward for completing all ground based content in WoD does that mean they don't plan to add another patch that's carrying a new zone with this expansion?

If they added a new zone they could easily just turn off flying for it if they wanted, not really a big deal.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
They had a reasonable middle ground with the "no flying till max level and in newly patched in zones". At least they are sorta going back to that.

Well, for the most part I just feel that people who are pissed about the lack of flying in Draenor are sort of focusing on the wrong issue. I mean, not being able to fly on timeless isle wasn't something people complained about much, because it actually had content people were interested in (for the most part, the fact that it lasted for over a year as the newest zone is going to take a toll.) Draenor itself just ended up kind of an uninspired, boring letdown for a myriad of reasons, and flying is a pretty easy target for some of that frustration, even if it might be the wrong target. Letting us fly around Draenor isn't going to make Draenor somehow have better content.

On the flipside, I don't really believe any conspiracy theories that blizzard intentionally removed flying because they knew Draenor content was shit and thought that without flying, we might not realize it or something. It just ended up being an unfortunate combination.

Tacitus_

Well, for the most part I just feel that people who are pissed about the lack of flying in Draenor are sort of focusing on the wrong issue. I mean, not being able to fly on timeless isle wasn't something people complained about much, because it actually had content people were interested in (for the most part, the fact that it lasted for over a year as the newest zone is going to take a toll.) Draenor itself just ended up kind of an uninspired, boring letdown for a myriad of reasons, and flying is a pretty easy target for some of that frustration, even if it might be the wrong target. Letting us fly around Draenor isn't going to make Draenor somehow have better content.

On the flipside, I don't really believe any conspiracy theories that blizzard intentionally removed flying because they knew Draenor content was shit and thought that without flying, we might not realize it or something. It just ended up being an unfortunate combination.

Oh I just want flying back for completely selfish reasons like being able to fly from my garrison to the raid zone without using taxis.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Oh I just want flying back for completely selfish reasons like being able to fly from my garrison to the raid zone without using taxis.

You mean you don't just wait for a summon? What kind of raider are you

You say that like players won't always take the easy way out if you give it to them. People don't have a problem fighting mobs, it's fun. But if you let them just queue for lfr and get all the best loot without actually pressing buttons, they would.

Player behavior will always trend towards the path of least resistance. I agree that incentivizing people to do things 'the hard way' is a thread Blizzard dropped looooooong before WoD came out. This has been a problem since Blizzard tied large, important parts of the story to end-of-expansion raid bosses, leaving a lot of players cold because they find out how TBC ends in raid kill videos rather than first hand. I don't know that there's a good solution to wanting as many people as possible to experience non-loot content that's compatible with only giving the bleeding edge of raiding and PvP all the best, most prestigious rewards. Blizz sure is trying really goddamn hard and failing.

lazygecko

Just starting out with dungeons on my fresh 100 warrior tank trying to get some gear. I get in a PuG and the entire group appears to be AFK for god knows how long. Eventually they catch up and I start pulling. Then the healer just stands there doing nothing and we wipe, resulting in me getting kicked and graced with a nice 30 minute deserter debuff.

No wonder there are so few tanks in this game.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Just starting out with dungeons on my fresh 100 warrior tank trying to get some gear. I get in a PuG and the entire group appears to be AFK for god knows how long. Eventually they catch up and I start pulling. Then the healer just stands there doing nothing and we wipe, resulting in me getting kicked and graced with a nice 30 minute deserter debuff.

No wonder there are so few tanks in this game.

Yea, you might want to just get some crafted gear so you can get your ilvl up enough to do LFR or heroics. Normal dungeons are just filled with the absolute worst players in the game, the guys that can't get past silver proving grounds despite it being easy as shit. I went through a couple a few weeks back to help a friend and even with raid gear it was annoying as shit, guys in normal groups want to be carried. Get to heroics and LFR as fast as you can.

lazygecko

Yea, you might want to just get some crafted gear so you can get your ilvl up enough to do LFR or heroics. Normal dungeons are just filled with the absolute worst players in the game, the guys that can't get past silver proving grounds despite it being easy as shit. I went through a couple a few weeks back to help a friend and even with raid gear it was annoying as shit, guys in normal groups want to be carried. Get to heroics and LFR as fast as you can.

Too much of a cheapskate to spend gold on crafted gear and BoEs.

That Securing Draenor achieve requirement though (Apexis Dailies)
sleeping.gif

Don't have it done.

Edit: Apparently you can use the missives from the garrison vendor to trigger these. So I guess not a big deal if you have garrison resources banked.

Dice

"Meet Durotan in Gorgrond"

Uhhhh... the single path to Gordrond was barricaded in the last story mission. There is apparently a flight master on the other side, but I never visited it before we blocked the pass. This is not the kind of "adventuring" I enjoy, Blizzard, because I always seem to run the full length of the map finding nothing but unscalable mountainsides and annoying interrupting peon enemies along the way.

What quest is that?

And most of the breadcrumb cross-zone quests in WoD let you hitch a free ride from your garrison's flight master. I don't remember crossing a single zone boundary when I quested my way to 100 at launch. It was only when I needed to visit Frostfire on my Ally toon that I even attempted it.

Dice

Okay apparently I had to leave far enough for it to pretend the characters standing there after the fight all did stuff and then when I went back it shows a tunnel drilled through the rock with some of them guarding it.

Lmao they actually caved and put flying back in?

Way to stick to your guns blizx.

100% not coming back for 6.2 and probably the rest of the expansion, WoD will be the one expansion I only played for like 2 months.

Granadier

100% not coming back for 6.2 and probably the rest of the expansion, WoD will be the one expansion I only played for like 2 months.

Just not happy no matter what happens huh?

JSoup

Banned
What quest is that?

And most of the breadcrumb cross-zone quests in WoD let you hitch a free ride from your garrison's flight master. I don't remember crossing a single zone boundary when I quested my way to 100 at launch. It was only when I needed to visit Frostfire on my Ally toon that I even attempted it.

And even then, one of the garrison exploration quests will give you a free ride to specific quest areas in either faction locked quest zones.

Entropia

No One Remembers

It was a compromise. To be able to get flying you have to do things that would otherwise have been trivialized by flying. It makes sense.

I don't care.

There are way bigger problems that need to be addressed in this expansion than fucking flying. I bet if Blizzard hadn't said anything up until this point (i.e. Ion's interview didn't happen) there wouldn't have been this big shit storm :lol

There are way bigger problems that need to be addressed in this expansion than fucking flying. I bet if Blizzard hadn't said anything up until this point (i.e. Ion's interview didn't happen) there wouldn't have been this big shit storm :lol

The more I think about it the more it does feel like a PR move. Players have said what they wanted to say about the quality of WoD content by cancelling 3 million of their subs. Flying returning is a superficial bone tossed everyone else's way.

TheYanger

"Meet Durotan in Gorgrond"

Uhhhh... the single path to Gordrond was barricaded in the last story mission. There is apparently a flight master on the other side, but I never visited it before we blocked the pass. This is not the kind of "adventuring" I enjoy, Blizzard, because I always seem to run the full length of the map finding nothing but unscalable mountainsides and annoying interrupting peon enemies along the way.

There's literally a tunnel right through the rock that 'blocks' the path.

Granadier

I forgot how expensive riding training costs are for "new" players. I'm lvl 54 on my Shaman now and just barely over 250 gold.

m_dorian

The more I think about it the more it does feel like a PR move. Players have said what they wanted to say about the quality of WoD content by cancelling 3 million of their subs. Flying returning is a superficial bone tossed everyone else's way.

If it was a PR move then it was a bad one. Upset your -already upset- community for 2 and a half weeks and then announce to do the stuff you have already announced before this expansion goes live, for what?
Anyway, i cant attribute to malice that which is easily explained by stupidity, as they say.

zugzug

sorry but Jeff Kaplan has to be laffing at these people in charge now his own friends many who he was boss of. Tom Chilton must be in full on retirement mode receiving a check but only coming into the office maybe once a week.

So disappointed in this backtrack.
Same with people who say flying does not hurt world pvp on pvp servers. I read one General discussion thread where people were downvoting people saying flying does not affect pvp servers.

Anoregon

I read one General discussion thread where people were downvoting people saying flying does not affect pvp servers.

Any thread about flying on the general forums is a total fucking abortion. Any post that implies there are benefits to not being able to fly, or that it isn't that big of a deal gets downvoted into oblivion, regardless of how non-confrontational or reasonable it is. Meanwhile, "LOL 3MIL SUBS LOST, SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN U REMOVE FLYING BLIZZ?" gets +200. It's a joke.

sorry but Jeff Kaplan has to be laffing at these people in charge now his own friends many who he was boss of. Tom Chilton must be in full on retirement mode receiving a check but only coming into the office maybe once a week.

So disappointed in this backtrack.
Same with people who say flying does not hurt world pvp on pvp servers. I read one General discussion thread where people were downvoting people saying flying does not affect pvp servers.

Did no flying currently improve world pvp? Does it even matter since no one leaves their garrisons?

Im happy flying is back, and Im happy-ish with how its implemented. Im well on my way to having most of those done. Im pretty sure the only thing Im missing is fully exploring Talador. Im not sure if my main is over 100 treasures or not. I forgot to check last night. Just need to do some serious rep farming.

StMeph

Did no flying currently improve world pvp? Does it even matter since no one leaves their garrisons?

You seem like you wouldn't be happy unless they gave everyone flying upon entering Draenor. And then what? There's still no content, either, so it's not like there would be any meaningful difference. I can't imagine that there's a huge connection to flying/no-flying and the 3 million subs lost, because flying around Draenor's definitely not going to magically improve the overall experience.

And I'm pretty sure you still won't be able to fly in Tanaan, which is where everyone will be when not in their Garrisons.

Dear Lord how come EU token is so expensive? And price keeps rising

Because gold falls from the skies. It's a wonder so many NA players are bad enough to keep the price so low.

You seem like you wouldn't be happy unless they gave everyone flying upon entering Draenor. And then what? There's still no content, either, so it's not like there would be any meaningful difference. I can't imagine that there's a huge connection to flying/no-flying and the 3 million subs lost, because flying around Draenor's definitely not going to magically improve the overall experience.

And I'm pretty sure you still won't be able to fly in Tanaan, which is where everyone will be when not in their Garrisons.

I'd be happy if blizzard implemented flying the same way they have for the last four expansions. Don't put words in my mouth. Did I say anything about the sub loss being directly because of no flying? That's the worst part of this kind of discussion is that people argue against points that weren't made. When I reiterated what I said here and posted it on Reddit I had a guy reply to me that said "WHY NOT ASK FOR THE WAR GLAIVES, ATESH, FLYING EVERYWHERE AND 500,000 GOLD TOO?!" because apparently asking for flight to be implemented the same way it has been for four expansions is the same thing as asking for every legendary and being half way to gold cap. In my posts I think I've been pretty clear on where I stand. I've said specifically the content in this expansion has been lack luster, they haven't addressed that basic issue and flying doesn't solve that. Blizzard has only treated flying as some sort of problem they need to solve, and flying or no flying it doesn't fix the issues with the game. I would be a lot happier if they designed some fun content around getting flying if that's the route they're going to go, but instead it's just apexis dailies and a grind to get something that was never locked behind any of those things previously.

Further, the one thing I saw in favor of no flying that I felt was valid was world PVP. I'm wondering if world pvp improved at all in an expansion where most people aren't leaving their garrisons. It seems to me based on that factor that flying being in the game isn't going to make world pvp any worse if people weren't leaving their garrisons in the first place.

StMeph

I'd be happy if blizzard implemented flying the same way they have for the last four expansions. Don't put words in my mouth. Did I say anything about the sub loss being directly because of no flying? That's the worst part of this kind of discussion is that people argue against points that weren't made. When I reiterated what I said here and posted it on Reddit I had a guy reply to me that said "WHY NOT ASK FOR THE WAR GLAIVES, ATESH, FLYING EVERYWHERE AND 500,000 GOLD TOO?!" because apparently asking for flight to be implemented the same way it has been for four expansions is the same thing as asking for every legendary and being half way to gold cap. In my posts I think I've been pretty clear on where I stand. I've said specifically the content in this expansion has been lack luster, they haven't addressed that basic issue and flying doesn't solve that. Blizzard has only treated flying as some sort of problem they need to solve, and flying or no flying it doesn't fix the issues with the game. I would be a lot happier if they designed some fun content around getting flying if that's the route they're going to go, but instead it's just apexis dailies and a grind to get something that was never locked behind any of those things previously.

Not putting words in your mouth, just combining all of the commonly used arguments for flying, as noted by others in this thread.

Asking for flying because history is basically asking for the game never to change. Blizzard made a clear design decision and felt they liked it. Cata was also different in allowing flying immediately, and they've noted that that was a tremendous mistake. The only way people make a difference is by voting with their feet, and 3 million people walked out on WoD. It's impossible to determine how much of that was related to flying, but it's pretty clear that WoD has zero hooks to keep people engaged at max level.

That's actually kind of surprising. I didn't catch that they'd allow flying within Tanaan as well.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Further, the one thing I saw in favor of no flying that I felt was valid was world PVP. I'm wondering if world pvp improved at all in an expansion where most people aren't leaving their garrisons. It seems to me based on that factor that flying being in the game isn't going to make world pvp any worse if people weren't leaving their garrisons in the first place.

As I said in the other thread, WoD has had less world pvp for me than any other expansion. The only world pvp I have encountered in WoD is 20+ horde camping the entrance to whatever raid is current and ganking anyone who tries to enter. Ironically enough the expansion where I saw the most world pvp was cata, which allowed flying off the bat.

Brutalx2

well...i want to start from 0. any advice for someone who didn't play for 4.5 years? Also, any suggestions on which class should i choose?

Granadier

well...i want to start from 0. any advice for someone who didn't play for 4.5 years? Also, any suggestions on which class should i choose?

Any class that interests you. Quest through the areas and using the Dungeon Finder (hotkey I) to queue for dungeons as DPS. Or if you want to level in dungeons only pick a Tank/Heal spec and sit in town queuing dungeons all damn day.

Are you buying a new license? If so, Ill gladly do the recruit a friend and buy you a month of game time (thanks WoW token). Im US/Horde.

Not really sure where to start form 0. Do you have an idea of what race/class youd like? Any idea about professions? Pvp or pve?

Brutalx2

Are you buying a new license? If so, Ill gladly do the recruit a friend and buy you a month of game time (thanks WoW token). Im US/Horde.

Not really sure where to start form 0. Do you have an idea of what race/class youd like? Any idea about professions? Pvp or pve?

Welll...i do love PvE and i am not buying a new license i am just using my old one (Sry dude). I am considering playing as a Mage/Hunter/Shaman. Which one do you suggest?

Top Bottom