• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Ultratech

I think I leveled the most alts in MOP because of how ridiculously fast it was towards the end.

I'll note that this expansion I've leveled the more alts closer to launch than previous expansions.

Same. I got several alts leveled in MoP.

Getting the heirlooms was easy enough, so I did a Druid, Mage, Warlock, and Shaman.
(That's all I remember anyways.)

i leveled 11 characters to level 100 ask me anything

Which was the worst? :D

Ultratech

Mage was pure misery. Keep in mind I did this in the first month before BOAs became upgradeable. Warrior was the best because Heroic Leap in Draenor 2strong

I'd have to agree.

I made a Mage alt, and it was alright until I got it to 90 then I was like "why the hell did I make a Mage again?".

Hated playing it, and of course, maining a Hunter spoiled me on having mobile DPS.

As such, I never played him seriously. (I regulated him to a Tailoring/Enchant slave).

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Got my green fire tonight! Kanrethad was finally not bugged and spawned his Pit Lord.

Also, while I was questing I noticed that these spectral enemies in Draenor had missing textures for their projectiles. Kinda funny.
jRgPujB.png

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

The classes don't even feel like an RPG anymore, it just feels like a MOBA or something. Classes aren't unique anymore, you're just melee/caster/healer with different skins on your abilities. Its to the point where certain action buttons on my bar get the same sort of abilities across all characters, and I don't even know what is named what, just that one button is a defensive, one button is a dps cooldown, one button is a movement modifier. It's so lame.

Mage was pure misery. Keep in mind I did this in the first month before BOAs became upgradeable. Warrior was the best because Heroic Leap in Draenor 2strong

Mage was my main in MoP so he wasn't too bad for me since I was in mostly mythic SoO gear. The most annoying of my 100's was probably my Moonkin. Moonkin healing got nerfed hard in 6.0 so he was much more annoying to level compared to past expansions.

JSoup

Banned
The state of PvP right now is more laughable than it has ever been in the history of the game. It's what I spent most of my time with in the game previously but now I've been driven to the point of ignoring it.

I honestly don't follow most PVP type things. Gets way too technical for a game I play fairly casually. But I still find it entertaining from time to time to just wander in and DPS stuff randomly.

But this Ashran thing is just such a cluster fuck it's like herding cats.

Semper88

Warrior is still great; if you want something different go druid. Feral is 100% absurd and druids overall give you so many options.

Don't listen to people that tell you that server doesn't matter (because of cross realm). It still matters for numerous reasons; if you want horde go Area-52, if you want alliance go Stormrage. If you want a pvp server, I'm sorry.

Haha alright thanks, made a test char on that RPPvp server brotherhood or w/e. Thinking of druid since i like healing and doing dungeons. How are low level dungeon que's as a healer?

Nokterian

The classes don't even feel like an RPG anymore, it just feels like a MOBA or something. Classes aren't unique anymore, you're just melee/caster/healer with different skins on your abilities. Its to the point where certain action buttons on my bar get the same sort of abilities across all characters, and I don't even know what is named what, just that one button is a defensive, one button is a dps cooldown, one button is a movement modifier. It's so lame.

Most cumberstone i experienced so far i am leveling a alt shadow priest with my heirlooms i have nearly 15 levels of 2 abilities...nothing else during that time until i reach level 24 and it's boring as fuck. People hated the old skill tree's i loved it tinkering on what to choose next. It has been all removed and you don't feel unique with your talents because everyone is using the same anyway...

EmiPrime

Most cumberstone i experienced so far i am leveling a alt shadow priest with my heirlooms i have nearly 15 levels of 2 abilities...nothing else during that time until i reach level 24 and it's boring as fuck. People hated the old skill tree's i loved it tinkering on what to choose next. It has been all removed and you don't feel unique with your talents because everyone is using the same anyway...

The old skill trees all had a "right" spec for each class that all raiders speced into, now you are supposed to adjust your spec for the fight. The new system involves far more tinkering and variety.

Leveling is way better too because you are given a couple of core spells from the start and at level 10. If you don't like leveling a priest now you would be in tears if you had attempted it during vanilla.

This still annoys me. My suggestion was to unlock additional effects to spells as you level (like perks in Draenor) so you at least feel like you're gaining something.

Semper88

I might remember this wrong but when i used to play wow vanilla and tbc starting areas were not this easy? i mean pulling multiple mobs ment death at a surtain point now everything just dies in two hits?

phierce

The old skill trees all had a "right" spec for each class that all raiders speced into, now you are supposed to adjust your spec for the fight. The new system involves far more tinkering and variety.

Leveling is way better too because you are given a couple of core spells from the start and at level 10. If you don't like leveling a priest now you would be in tears if you had attempted it during vanilla.
This is truth.

It really doesn't for the most part. The choice is pretty much an illusion, there is a right choice for the vast majority of all fights and it tends to be the same. People are much more likely to switch specs completely than alter their talents. Looking at you Warlock.

sry dbl.

Semper88

Heals/Tanks get in nearly instantly. It's a hot joke too, you can afk heal em.

What the F happened? I used to love this game because it was some what difficult. CCing mobs, not pulling to much etc. You really needed to work like a team. I mean back in the days a Wailing Caverns or silly low lvl shit like that could be hard haha.

thats all gone?

What the F happened? I used to love this game because it was some what difficult. CCing mobs, not pulling to much etc. You really needed to work like a team. I mean back in the days a Wailing Caverns or silly low lvl shit like that could be hard haha.

thats all gone?

Leveling, yes 100%. Tanks will do 50% of the grp damage will more than likely not need heals unless they are pulling 5+ mobs at a time. Can easily solo a dungeon as a tank.

Nokterian

It really doesn't for the most part. The choice is pretty much an illusion, there is a right choice for the vast majority of all fights and it tends to be the same. People are much more likely to switch specs completely than alter their talents. Looking at you Warlock.

sry dbl.

And that is the reason i find it pretty dull it is all an illusion even the new talents you go what suits best and stick with it.

CHC

This is really the big problem. Blizzard is so afraid of someone having an even remotely undertuned class that they've practically tuned them all for 1 on 1 PvP. There used to be sort of a "rock paper scissors" dynamic to the way the classes interacted, but it's been gone for a long time now. Everyone can do everything, pretty much, and you're just a healer / tank / DPS, with barely any distinction.

I was hopeful when they announced ability culling before Warlords but it didn't really chance anything. Everyone has an interrupt, a mobility power, a stun, etc.

I might remember this wrong but when i used to play wow vanilla and tbc starting areas were not this easy? i mean pulling multiple mobs ment death at a surtain point now everything just dies in two hits?

Vanilla leveling was challenging, camps and caves were like little puzzles. You had to think about how to pull single mobs or pairs and not the whole damn place. The Fargodeep mine was like the deadliest place in the land because people just ran in, haha....

ampere

Homogenization will do that over time. I think it has gone much too far

Semper88

Leveling, yes 100%. Tanks will do 50% of the grp damage will more than likely not need heals unless they are pulling 5+ mobs at a time. Can easily solo a dungeon as a tank.

Vanilla leveling was challenging, camps and caves were like little puzzles. You had to think about how to pull single mobs or pairs and not the whole damn place. The Fargodeep mine was like the deadliest place in the land because people just ran in, haha....

so where is the fun in leveling now? I started a druid on the dark brotherhood server because it had 50/50 population. Is it just a ez grind to 100 now? i was looking forward to leveling but now..

lazygecko

so where is the fun in leveling now? I started a druid on the dark brotherhood server because it had 50/50 population. Is it just a ez grind to 100 now? i was looking forward to leveling but now..

The post-Cataclysm Azeroth quests are fun to do once or twice. Though I do not like how they are more railroaded before, increasingly scripted which artificially gates your own pacing (this is what kills the replayability for me), and even if you quest without wearing any heirlooms at all you'll be outleveling the zones you're in much faster than you can complete the quest lines and see the story while it's still relevant for your level range. So if you want to do a zone all the way through you'll inevitably end up doing grey quests and mobs and gimp your leveling progress just for the sake of completing the zone's story.

Phew. Now to get the toy. But I'm not grinding it out like I did this one.

Grats. Id have mine already if I didn't spend 40k on 2 upgrades. Im sitting at 145k before questing today, so I probably going to finish it after fireworks tonight. Also, got level 8 brawlers guild last night. That shit was intense. Ahooru was a fucking butt faced mega beast.

Semper88

The post-Cataclysm Azeroth quests are fun to do once or twice. Though I do not like how they are more railroaded before, increasingly scripted which artificially gates your own pacing (this is what kills the replayability for me), and even if you quest without wearing any heirlooms at all you'll be outleveling the zones you're in much faster than you can complete the quest lines and see the story while it's still relevant for your level range. So if you want to do a zone all the way through you'll inevitably end up doing grey quests and mobs and gimp your leveling progress just for the sake of completing the zone's story.

just bought the game for 7,50... could not resist and since leveling is so easy I'm just gonna play it casual. i still love the world as it is.

Made a druid so i can heal or tank whenever i feel like it.

CHC

I mean if you like leveling just to kind of tune out, run around, and have a relaxing time, it's as good as ever. But Blizzard has done everything in their power to ensure a "smooth" leveling experience, meaning you will pretty much NEVER:

-Encounter an elite mob or a challenge you can't handle solo
-Find any quests "off the beaten path" that aren't part of a chain
-Be asked to go into a dungeon for anything
-Encounter a challenge in terms of tactical pulling / managing mobs
-Find any world PvP

The whole thing is just so totally streamlined and easy that leveling is JUST leveling and nothing more. They pretty much have elimated the need to talk to anyone, ever, and nothing is challenging at all. You just go from hub to hub doing the solo quests and leveling really fast.

ampere

Heirlooms happened. Players take no damage in dungeons and most of the healing done comes when people gain levels. :p

Also the squish. Remember right after the squish you would get one shot at level 1, then they adjusted it and made it so you almost one shot things without heirlooms

Semper88

Heirlooms happened. Players take no damage in dungeons and most of the healing done comes when people gain levels. :p

Ah i've seen these weapons in BG's that i just tried to heal lmao.

I mean if you like leveling just to kind of tune out, run around, and have a relaxing time, it's as good as ever. But Blizzard has done everything in their power to ensure a "smooth" leveling experience, meaning you will pretty much NEVER:

-Encounter an elite mob or a challenge you can't handle solo
-Find any quests "off the beaten path" that aren't part of a chain
-Be asked to go into a dungeon for anything
-Encounter a challenge in terms of tactical pulling / managing mobs
-Find any world PvP

The whole thing is just so totally streamlined and easy that leveling is JUST leveling and nothing more. They pretty much have elimated the need to talk to anyone, ever, and nothing is challenging at all. You just go from hub to hub doing the solo quests and leveling really fast.

I see, but i liked the way it was in Vanilla but i guess they made it more casual.

But yea leveling is fast, started 3 hours ago and I'm lvl 15 so that explains. Dungeons still worth doing? I love those.

Also a question are there any usefull addons for leveling / being new?

TheContact

Why does horde suck so badly at BGs now? I haven't played in a while but I just hit 100 on a horde toon and the last 2 days I've done nothing but non stop BG queue and although it's instant queue I have only won one game out of about 30

lazygecko

Why does horde suck so badly at BGs now? I haven't played in a while but I just hit 100 on a horde toon and the last 2 days I've done nothing but non stop BG queue and although it's instant queue I have only won one game out of about 30

Alliance (specifically, human) PvP racials made serious PvPers switch factions to be competitive. This is something people have said for years, and I didn't give much weigth to the argument before, but I think it's had a snowball effect over time and now we've reached the tipping point.

Every time I hover my mouse over the random BG join I feel like a lab rat who's been conditioned with electric shocks.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

You still have a "right" spec for each class, just because it's fight-to-fight doesn't make it more interesting. They always say you have a choice, but you really don't. I can't use my ST talents on a cleave fight, even my casual guild changes talents fight to fight, because it's so easy and mandatory now.

EmiPrime

I was a holy priest before dual specs.

QQ

Also when spell damage and healing were two different things!

sry dbl.

Switching to the "right" spec for each fight is better than having the same spec for 2 years. The choice with the old trees was an illusion.

Homogenization will do that over time. I think it has gone much too far

I will take homogenisation over warriors being the only viable tank, hybrids being only there for buffs and for some heals and priests being hands down the best healers. The class design in vanilla was garbage.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Also when spell damage and healing were two different things!

Switching to the "right" spec for each fight is better than having the same spec for 2 years. The choice with the old trees was an illusion.

I will take homogenisation over warriors being the only viable tank, hybrids being only there for buffs and for some heals and priests being hands down the best healers. The class design in vanilla was garbage.

No, having the different talents be good no matter what would be better, it's just as much of an illusion as it ever was. Deviating from these talents is a mistake, I'd wager that for 95% of the talents across all specs its similar.

The solution is to have everyone be good AND different, like tanks (kinda) are. They just don't have the will or the patience to do it with DPS and healing classes.

The only choice I get is for talents that don't really do anything for me anyway. There are multiple tiers of talents that are just never used in a fight ever. Why do I even have those abilities but they get rid of Twilight Ward? It's so goddamn lame.

EmiPrime

No, having the different talents be good no matter what would be better, it's just as much of an illusion as it ever was. Deviating from these talents is a mistake, I'd wager that for 95% of the talents across all specs its similar.

You've proved my point, that's still orders of magnitude more variety than the trees pre-Cata where you kept the same spec for 2 years.

I don't raid anymore, doing CM gold runs is more my thing. We change talents a lot there. I'm sure PVPers change theirs accordingly too depending on BG and for arena.

ampere

I think there's a reasonable middle ground. Not arguing to return to Vanilla class design, but maybe more with a mix of niche roles in WotLK and the better talent system now

EmiPrime

I think there's a reasonable middle ground. Not arguing to return to Vanilla class design, but maybe more with a mix of niche roles in WotLK and the better talent system now

There were a lot of complaints back in WOTLK that paladins were becoming more than just add/trash tanks and that only warriors should have access to things like the attack speed debuff and defensive cooldowns. When paladin tanks got the missing things they needed in 3.3 (TotC) the homogenisation moans got even louder. I think what people call homogenisation is a necessary part of class balance.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
You've proved my point, that's still orders of magnitude more variety than the trees pre-Cata where you kept the same spec for 2 years.

I don't raid anymore, doing CM gold runs is more my thing. We change talents a lot there. I'm sure PVPers change theirs accordingly too depending on BG and for arena.

What? I changed talents all the time. Seal of command was worthless on ST fights, reduced BoP cooldown, pursuit of justice or more healing.

You are having selective memory or something. And there's a difference between a choice between talents and HAVING to change between talents. A big difference.

ampere

There were a lot of complaints back in WOTLK that paladins were becoming more than just add/trash tanks and that only warriors should have access to things like the attack speed debuff and defensive cooldowns. When paladin tanks got the missing things they needed in 3.3 (TotC) the homogenisation moans got even louder. I think what people call homogenisation is a necessary part of class balance.

Yeah, I mean no one wants to feel like they picked the wrong class and aren't viable, but at the same time if every class feels the same and does the same damage it's like Mass Effect 3's ending, your choices are just different colors of the same thing

The devs still don't understand tank balance at all. It's a roll of the dice to know if your particular Active Mitigation works on a boss's specials. I'm especially bitter since I play a Brewmaster. I know we were way overpowered in 6.1, but the nerfs were way too heavy handed.

EmiPrime

What? I changed talents all the time. Seal of command was worthless on ST fights, reduced BoP cooldown, pursuit of justice or more healing.

You are having selective memory or something. And there's a difference between a choice between talents and HAVING to change between talents. A big difference.

Seal of Blood baseline on horde so no need ;)

On my paladin the only time I changed specs was to go from holy/prot/ret. No selective memory.

EmiPrime

Yeah, I mean no one wants to feel like they picked the wrong class and aren't viable, but at the same time if every class feels the same and does the same damage it's like Mass Effect 3's ending, your choices are just different colors of the same thing

The devs still don't understand tank balance at all. It's a roll of the dice to know if your particular Active Mitigation works on a boss's specials. I'm especially bitter since I play a Brewmaster. I know we were way overpowered in 6.1, but the nerfs were way too heavy handed.

I think the tank classes still play and feel very different. The balance I admit I am completely out of the loop on.

All I know is that DKs are easily the best CM tank and are capable of pulls other classes can't survive and being able to AOE death grip is a huge group DPS gain. Last expansion it was monks. I wish they would make some effort to balance CMs.

You really don't switch though, you just change specs completely.

If you are destruction you are using the same talents on every fight. 2/3/1/Whatever(they all suck)/3/1/1 it doesn't change. I have never this entire expansion moved out of Archimonde's Darkness. Soul Leech/Soul Link are just as ubiquitous, GoSac/Charred remains is the exact same.

Affliction is the same, just switch over to SB:Haunt. It is a massive illusion of choice, there isn't one. The old system people would hop over to EJ and figure out what sim'd the best and spec it, same thing now. There are verifiable 100% best choices, it's no different now.

Top Bottom