• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

EmiPrime

You really don't switch though, you just change specs completely.

If you are destruction you are using the same talents on every fight. 2/3/1/Whatever(they all suck)/3/1/1 it doesn't change. I have never this entire expansion moved out of Archimonde's Darkness. Soul Leech/Soul Link are just as ubiquitous, GoSac/Charred remains is the exact same.

Affliction is the same, just switch over to SB:Haunt. It is a massive illusion of choice, there isn't one. The old system people would hop over to EJ and figure out what sim'd the best and spec it, same thing now. There are verifiable 100% best choices, it's no different now.

I don't play warlock so I will take your word for it. I have made plenty of changes on my paladin when before the revamp I never needed to make any.

I don't play warlock so I will take your word for it. I have made plenty of changes on my paladin when before the revamp I never needed to make any.

You said you are talking from the perspective of CM's. Maybe you make changes there, but you really don't when it comes to raiding.

What do you play? Ret, Prot, Holy.

You'll never use Pursuit of Justice as Holy/Ret. T1: Speed of Light for Holy, Long Arm of the Law for Ret everytime. T2: Fist of Justice. T3: Ret will never use Eternal Flame (100%, no clue why it is even a talent; has anyone picked this ever?) so you are using Selfless Healer or Sacred Shield (SS is much easier/better to use and can help the dead spots in your rotation as well as providing on demand healing), Holy will always use Eternal Flame. T4: Unbreakable Spirit is really the best choice here, I suppose you can make an argument for Clemency. T5: Ret DP, Holy Sanctified Wrath. T6: Execution Sentence. T7: Final Verdict/Beacon of Faith

Again, illusion.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
The problem vis a vis classes not feeling like an RPG anymore is that while there were problems pre-wotlk/cata where some classes were just so entirely useless except for one spec, some classes also weren't totally shitty and were a ton of fun to play, their solution was to water down everything that was fun and unique, while trying to pull up the other specs at the same time so they got even as fast as possible.

Warlock is a lot more than just Shadowbolt a billion times for insane DPS like it was in BC, but now we're just shadowpriests=afflic frostmage=destro and gobbledegook=demo.

The cool thing about afflic over spriest is that we had two separate channel spells and soul swap. Guess what they removed in WoD?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Would have been nice if they didn't remove the ability for Rain of Fire to generate embers as well. Right now it just feels almost useless.

EmiPrime

You said you are talking from the perspective of CM's. Maybe you make changes there, but you really don't when it comes to raiding.

What do you play? Ret, Prot, Holy.

You'll never use Pursuit of Justice as Holy/Ret. T1: Speed of Light for Holy, Long Arm of the Law for Ret everytime. T2: Fist of Justice. T3: Ret will never use Eternal Flame (100%, no clue why it is even a talent; has anyone picked this ever?) so you are using Selfless Healer or Sacred Shield (SS is much easier/better to use and can help the dead spots in your rotation as well as providing on demand healing), Holy will always use Eternal Flame. T4: Unbreakable Spirit is really the best choice here, I suppose you can make an argument for Clemency. T5: Ret DP, Holy Sanctified Wrath. T6: Execution Sentence. T7: Final Verdict/Beacon of Faith

Again, illusion.

During MOP I did golds on one of my paladins as prot then golds on my other paladin as ret. This time around I am doing golds on both as prot. Unfortunately some in my group are in full on no lifer everyday mythic progress mode so we can't do CMs very often. :(

I am using Seraphim and Sacred Shield for CMs but while superior I don't really like the play style that much. Eternal Flame and Holy Shield are still viable and much more friendly to beginners, I wouldn't consider them wrong choices as for some players who struggle to keep up the absorb and the different rotation they would be superior. When I just want to tank some 5 mans for a satchel or whatever while watching some Netflix I use EF and HS instead. I think they are great examples of the strength of the new trees.

Would have been nice if they didn't remove the ability for Rain of Fire to generate embers as well. Right now it just feels almost useless.

Meh, it is useless; waste of a GCD imo. It is kinda of funny that the class that got a massive overhaul in MoP is in need of another.

Demo: Ruined as of the last patch (even they admit that it isn't favorable to play and will be getting an overhaul)

Affliction: In shambles now that snapshotting is gone, utterly boring to play. Has massive issues concerning target swaps. Soul Swap shouldn't cost a shard to utilize should just have a CD on it. Who is going to use 1 shard to remove dots from a target and move them over? Much less two shards to SB:SS. Never thought I would say it but I would much rather go back to the shadowbolt filler than a channeled spell.

Destruction: I don't know I really don't have too much of a problem with Destro. Still think we should have fel flame back that way I can at least do something while moving.

I am using Seraphim and Sacred Shield for CMs but while superior I don't really like the play style that much. Eternal Flame and Holy Shield are still viable and much more friendly to beginners, I wouldn't consider them wrong choices as for some players who struggle to keep up the absorb and the different rotation they would be superior. When I just want to tank some 5 mans for a satchel or whatever while watching some Netflix I use EF and HS instead. I think they are great examples of the strength of the new trees.

You said it yourself, there is a superior choice. Which means there really isn't a choice at all, unless you consider decreasing your effectiveness a choice. Players went to EJ and the like before to figure out the best 'choice' and then spec'd into it; the same exact thing is happening now. Illusion of choice. Why don't Holy Paladin's pick Selfless Healer or Sacred Shield over Eternal Flame? Because EF is far and away the best talent. Decreasing your effectiveness to somehow show that you made a choice is rather odd. Likewise, Ret will never ever use EF.

EmiPrime

You said it yourself, there is a superior choice. Which means there really isn't a choice at all, unless you consider decreasing your effectiveness a choice. Players went to EJ and the like before to figure out the best 'choice' and then spec'd into it; the same exact thing is happening now. Illusion of choice. Why don't Holy Paladin's pick Selfless Healer or Sacred Shield over Eternal Flame? Because EF is far and away the best talent. Decreasing your effectiveness to somehow show that you made a choice is rather odd. Likewise, Ret will never ever use EF.

There's an obvious choice for people doing Mythic and CM golds who have the skill to get the most out of their class but most players aren't at that level. For everyone else playing a spec that is easier to play in their Normal/Heroic raids which are very forgiving difficulty levels in guilds where typically only a couple of DPSers are performing anywhere near where they should be may be better than making a dogs dinner of Seraphim and SS. I think it's a very good design, you disagree and that's okay. :)

There was a glyph that gave increased Inquisition uptime at the cost of DPS before they removed that spell. I think these options that make classes easier to play at a cost of effectiveness are great and Blizzard should do more of them.

Nokterian

Some say they didn't like this but to me it gave me more a meaning to play a certain role in WoW.

talentcalc.png

Now you click and you get talents here i had to invest in my tree i wanted and spend wisely what to choose most of the time and at the end game i went for what did the most damage.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Some say they didn't like this but to me it gave me more a meaning to play a certain role in WoW.

http://waranvil.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/talentcalc.png[img]

Now you click and you get talents here i had to invest in my tree i wanted and spend wisely what to choose most of the time and at the end game i went for what did the most damage.[/QUOTE]

That's no better, because while that's cool leveling up to put points into abilities and make them better, when you're max level you just fill out 85% of the boxes the same way every time.

Old talent trees were ass, and the new ones haven't solved what they were supposed to, the two systems are identical.

If you were sitting there trying a bunch of different talent combinations you were just a hinderance. It took 5 minutes of looking up on EJ what the best talents were, experimentation was never needed.

Ultratech

I'd be curious to try one and get my memory jogged about how awful some of the game mechanics were back in the day lol

Don't forget about putting Spell Hit on your Tanks so their Taunts have less chance to miss!

Or leveling up a Weapon Skill because you won a shiny new weapon, but have no points in the skill.

*gets shiny new Gun from Raid Boss*
"Dammit, I gotta get an Ammo Pouch and Bullets now..."
*Buys ammo pouch/bullets*
"...And my Gun Skill is too low now. Better get to shooting up stuff!"
*pew pew* MISS
*pew pew* MISS
Your Gun Skill has increased to 1
*pew pew* MISS
Your Gun Skill has increased to 2
"Better put on my INT gear so this goes a little faster..."

And so on...

JORMBO

Darkness no more
My rogue is 400/900 runes.

I have only killed the bosses needed for the quest items in Highmaul once. I have killed Blackhand LFR twice and no other bosses. I wonder how long it will take to get caught up without actually doing the raids. The shipyard seems to be pumping out tons of runes.

I'd be curious to try one and get my memory jogged about how awful some of the game mechanics were back in the day lol

Pally buffs only being castable single target, and lasting 5 minutes. You would buff the entire raid, and as you were about to finish the first buffs were wearing off. All you did was buff people over and over most of the raid.

Milennia

This boss is actually braindead to play on, but its such a fucking gear check that its difficult and half the world is stuck on it.

lazygecko

That's no better, because while that's cool leveling up to put points into abilities and make them better, when you're max level you just fill out 85% of the boxes the same way every time.

Old talent trees were ass, and the new ones haven't solved what they were supposed to, the two systems are identical.

If you were sitting there trying a bunch of different talent combinations you were just a hinderance. It took 5 minutes of looking up on EJ what the best talents were, experimentation was never needed.

I think there was at least some more choice in the old ones, like if you were primarily into PvP you could spec into some more defensive passives or other means of more survivability (like speccing down the resto tree if you were a PvP enh/ele shaman). And you could sometimes have those gimmicky hybrid builds like reckadins.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I think there was at least some more choice in the old ones, like if you were primarily into PvP you could spec into some more defensive passives or other means of more survivability (like speccing down the resto tree if you were a PvP enh/ele shaman). And you could sometimes have those gimmicky hybrid builds like reckadins.

But those hybrid builds were also never intended, and would be fixed at the cost of the pure spec.

And I most definitely still have pvp vs pve talents. Soul Leech is poop in PvP compared to dark regeneration, I would never use leech in pvp.

lazygecko

But those hybrid builds were also never intended, and would be fixed at the cost of the pure spec.

And I most definitely still have pvp vs pve talents. Soul Leech is poop in PvP compared to dark regeneration, I would never use leech in pvp.

I meant moreso the choice of extra survival vs a few extra percents in crit or whatever which generally boils down to PvP vs PvE. You don't really have any kind of equivalent choice like that with the new talents. Each tier is a clearly defined damage/survival/cc role with 3 options. You can't really pick something else in place of those 3 survival options you're given.

Chindogg

talentcalc.png

Now you click and you get talents here i had to invest in my tree i wanted and spend wisely what to choose most of the time and at the end game i went for what did the most damage.

The problem with this is that the choices had to be completely optimized in order to actually be good at your class. Even with the paired down talents, some specs are completely unviable.

Take Survival Hunters for instance. They're practically worthless in 6.2 because reasons. Even if they had the old talent system, it still wouldn't make up for all the problems their spec has due to excessive nerfing.

ZenaxPure

I meant moreso the choice of extra survival vs a few extra percents in crit or whatever

???

In a raiding situation you would always take the extra damage. There was no choice at all, if you didn't max damage you did it wrong. extra survival vs. a few percents in crit isn't a choice that existed with old talent trees.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
???

In a raiding situation you would always take the extra damage. There was no choice at all, if you didn't max damage you did it wrong. extra survival vs. a few percents in crit isn't a choice that existed with old talent trees.

He meant you would take the damage for pve, and the defensives for pvp.

but i think if you ever got past 1500 you just went full in on the damage anyway, going defensive in pvp is usually just losing slower.

TheYanger

0 chance the old system had more customization. I change talents tons of times a week now, not ALL of them all the time, but a lot of them a lot more. I changed my talents under the old system as infrequently as possible and you were generally just dumb if you picked anything besides the cookie cutter.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

talentcalc.png

That system had all of a handful of actually useful specs.There was like 1 tanking spec for warriors, after all the mandatory stuff had been picked up we had all of 3 points to play with and those had to go into a semi-mandatory talent. DPS specs were just as bad too.

With the current system you can make an argument for each talent choice, in the old one there was only 1 good talent set per spec. Anything else had you doing little to no damage, taking too much damage or not being able to heal enough to keep up with the damage.

That system had all of a handful of actually useful specs.

It is the same now.

With the current system you can make an argument for each talent choice

People keep saying stuff like this and it just isn't true. There is no reason that you would take EF as a ret paladin over the other two selections. Same is true for anything other than Archimonde's Darkness, it only gets worse if you pick X talent you have to take Y. Go ahead take GoSac and Demonic Servitude. Go ahead Destro lock, make an argument for Mannoroth's Fury.

The new system is better sure, but only because the old system was so horribly crappy for customization. I shouldn't be looking at talents and thinking nope, no reason I would ever pick that up. IF you pick GoSac+Demonic Servitude it should buff your damage a bit more than a normal Sac.

lazygecko

Let's look at the old 2.4 talent trees for shaman:

http://calculators.iradei.eu/talents/shaman.htm

In just the first couple of rows for the enhancement trees I think there are some tangible choices. You had instant ghost wolf, reducing the grounding totem cooldown, as well as increasing lightning shield damage in the second tier. None of these were really deemed useful in PvE at the time so raiders would skip them, but I used them all the time in PvP. Same thing with Anticipation and Toughness further down.

My memory is a bit fuzzy at this point, but I think it was also common for PvP elementals to forfeit the final Totem of Wrath talent to be able to spec down the resto tree into Ancestral Swiftness instead.

TheYanger

It is the same now.

People keep saying stuff like this and it just isn't true. There is no reason that you would take EF as a ret paladin over the other two selections. Same is true for anything other than Archimonde's Darkness, it only gets worse if you pick X talent you have to take Y. Go ahead take GoSac and Demonic Servitude. Go ahead Destro lock, make an argument for Mannoroth's Fury.

The new system is better sure, but only because the old system was so horribly crappy for customization. I shouldn't be looking at talents and thinking nope, no reason I would ever pick that up. IF you pick GoSac+Demonic Servitude it should buff your damage a bit more than a normal Sac.

Not EVERY talent tier is an even choice, or even a compellign one, but most of them are. To be completely frank, if you can't find uses for your other talents you're probably not that great at your class or don't understand what the talents are doing for you in the first place. Yes, that probably sounds a bit insulting, but it's true. The old system was literally "You do more damage" as a talent choice, that is so very rarely the case now. AT WORST the current system is 'you do more damage in situation A B or C' and A is much more common than B or C, but B and C still have a place.

YOLOd and bought more Medallions of the Legion. Probably a bad decision, but I have my Empowered Augment Rune now.

Is that reusable or consumable? I would think its reusable for the stupid cost.

Also, wooot. Got Rags mount about 30 minutes ago and bought the 150k apexis mount. Doing LK and Yog saran now.

Is that reusable or consumable? I would think its reusable for the stupid cost.

Also, wooot. Got Rags mount about 30 minutes ago and bought the 150k apexis mount. Doing LK and Yog saran now.

The Empowered Augment Rune which is Vol'jin's Headhunters (or Alliance equivalent rep) exalted is an infinite use augment rune with a 1 minute CD (so it's up for every pull).

TBH I don't know why I bought the Medallions - was only ~7 days out on rep otherwise, but whatever. I have enough gold to make poor decisions like that every now and then. Will have Order of the Awakened exalted tomorrow, just a sliver of rep away from that, but I wasn't gonna drop another ~10k just to have it today.

Grats on the firehawk, it's one of my favorites.

The Empowered Augment Rune which is Vol'jin's Headhunters (or Alliance equivalent rep) exalted is an infinite use augment rune with a 1 minute CD (so it's up for every pull).

TBH I don't know why I bought the Medallions - was only ~7 days out on rep otherwise, but whatever. I have enough gold to make poor decisions like that every now and then. Will have Order of the Awakened exalted tomorrow, just a sliver of rep away from that, but I wasn't gonna drop another ~10k just to have it today.

Grats on the firehawk, it's one of my favorites.

Im sitting on 400k, but I don't want to spend it. Im waiting for the corrupted griffin to hit 150k or less, as well as a few other TCG mounts.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Randomly watched one of the trailers for WotLK tonight. What was up with the "destructible buildings"? I don't remember that at all.

Semper88

Last weekend was a trip down memory lane because I've stopped playing during TBC although a lot of these old dungeons have been changed / shortened?. I don't have to much time to spare and majority of my playtime will be during the weekend so I made the choice to power through and get to the end game in a nice pace.

My initial plan was to enjoy all the dungeons and quests / zones but like some of you already explained to me, the game isn't what it used to be and its all face-roll now. And holy shit it is, people rush through and just steam train everything like elite's are critters and bosses are your everyday enemies.

I made the decision to give my self a good start (friends still play and they are 100), bought the game for 7,5 and spend 20 on a token and got all the looms and holy shit.. i went from 1 to 60 in a weekend?! I still have to buy WoD at some point when I get there.

That old talent tree gives me good memories, that was so cool as you could do whatever the f you want. Of course for serious raiding there were some set choices but still it was fun.

Made a Tauren druid, I like how they revamped the character models and druids are still good fun :)

Also I'm guessing i'll upgrade my looms to 100 as the token made me about 47k which should be enough to upgrade fully. Whats the best route of upgrading weapons at 100? Because I'll knowing my self I want to get back into raiding asap.

After all this time it still feels great but that kick from having to be careful and not pull to much is a big miss tho.
Guessing this will change at 100 when the harder dungeons come in. Community wise it feels good, made a few fellows during the powering through.

I'f anyone would like to hit me up and do some dungeons this evening my Battle.net TAG is Semper88. Dungeons etc are all cross realm now right?

Sorry for the wall..

Did they change something about Dark Moon Faire's Test Your Strength quest? I only started doing the Faire last month since I learned that's where you get some Heirlooms from. Last month I could only earn Grisly Trophies in dungeons but even then it wasn't consistent and I got nothing while questing in PVE. Today, however, that's how I earned all of my grisly trophies and I was over-leveled for the area I was playing through to boot. I made an Alliance toon to go through the Ashenvale-Stone Talon Mountains-South Barrens quest chains to see what it's like for the other side (so far it's just as awesome).

Still in shock that I got both Firelands mounts in one day.
song_siren.gif
The pureblood firehawk looks so much better than the purple corrupted one from the meta.

Almost forgot I also got one of the new Tanaan rare mounts as well earlier in the day, though those aren't all that rare.

Top Bottom