• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Good. More inventive direction like TBC/MoP, less blind reliance on nostalgia and retreading old ground like Cata/WoD please.

Quite exciting since we have no idea what this could be this time, right? No trademark leak like the last few times?

Correct. Blizzard probably filed the trademark in a country that doesn't have an online database, and thanks to something called the Madrid protocol, it will be valid for pretty much all other countries.

The things you learn in mmochampion speculation threads.

McNei1y

Bring back adventure and exploration in an open world. Make me go on a large trek to be attuned to some open world full of stuff.

Just give me something that's different from the same recipe of leveling up -> gearing up -> raiding.

shoreu

Is anyone on Kel' Thuzad ally? I'm looking for a good guild that does PvE and PVP I have an Arms warrior, and tank on both my monk and DK. I'm hopping back on the game for this new Expac.

Robin64

Bring back adventure and exploration in an open world. Make me go on a large trek to be attuned to some open world full of stuff.

Just give me something that's different from the same recipe of leveling up -> gearing up -> raiding.

Well I think treasures all over the place, and lack of flying, was supposed to bring that. If it worked or not is up to opinion, though.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Well I think treasures all over the place, and lack of flying, was supposed to bring that. If it worked or not is up to opinion, though.

This is one thing I strongly feel WoD did right. It's damn fun having so many treasures in nooks and crannies all over the place to go and find.

Just don't make them filled with fucking garrison resources.

McNei1y

I take that back. There were a lot of "treasures" and "elites" you could kill which did add to the fun of leveling. They certainly improved on that aspect. But as I said in another thread, that was quickly ruined by the lack of stuff to do at max level.

Tenebrous

I take that back. There were a lot of "treasures" and "elites" you could kill which did add to the fun of leveling. They certainly improved on that aspect. But as I said in another thread, that was quickly ruined by the lack of stuff to do at max level.

MoP got elites & treasures spot on. WoD took a good idea, overdid it to the max, and made it a tad shit.

Ark

I've only levelled one character to 100 so far, and there are definitely faarrrr too many 'rare' or 'elite' or whatever they're called mobs around. They ended up becoming a chore I would avoid rather than something I was excited to do.

ampere

The next expac is called "Wrath of the Ogre King" and takes place entirely on Faralon.

"Da King don't wanna see nobody!"

1 boss, no patches. $80

Zelias

Banned
I'd like an instanced space in whatever the expac capital is. Keep most of the essential services in the city so you have to at least see other people. Get rid of followers and missions. I play the game to adventure, not to click buttons so NPCs do it. Make the player space customization-based, building choices can stay.

And no fucking shipyard.

Robin64

If we're getting South Seas, our "garrison" should be a ship. Already ship models in the game for every race, too, so it would just be about furnishing it.

Your followers would be your crew, but far less of them, far more importance, just fun things.

Plus, if it was a ship, there's no problem with letting players have it in whichever zone they want, which was a scrapped feature of WoD.

Nere

I don't understand the hate for WoD think I am the only one who loved this expansion. It had in my opinion the best leveling experience from all expansions and the best zones there wasn't a single bad zone unlike previous expansions. Also the dungeons were few but all good again unlike past expansion where there was always a stinker. It also brought new models and the raids were pretty good. What I didn't liked was the garrisons which started out well but got boring later on also 6.1 was a massive disappointment and blizzard should be embarrassed. But overall I think this is one of the best expansions and a welcome return to classic Warcraft story.

ZenaxPure

MoP got elites & treasures spot on. WoD took a good idea, overdid it to the max, and made it a tad shit.

The treasures were decent in WoD but they did overdo it to the point where I stopped caring after I got the achievements because I knew all that was waiting for me was more garrison resources I didn't need. But the rare spawn situation in WoD was certainly a massive downgrade over MoP. That change is 100% one of the biggest contributors to me never leaving my garrison when I could have been out killing stuff. I spent an absurd amount of time doing the MoP rare spawns because of how their loot tables were designed. I made so much gold in MoP just from rare spawn farming and taking the mats I got and using them in profession stuff to sell. Not to mention the other odd things you could sell like the various pets/BoE leveling weapons or the 1k rep pipe (which was worth a lot in the early days of MoP).

I don't understand the hate for WoD think I am the only one who loved this expansion.

It's not really that hard to understand. There was nothing to do in WoD after the first couple of weeks except raiding and garrison chores and then they didn't bother putting out a new content patch for nearly 8 months. And then that patch was just recycled content + a zone full of garbage apexis quests people had been complaining about since the first day of the expansion. That's not really even including other stuff like the shit story or nostalgia pandering which is disgusting all on its own.

Ark

I just told some guy to stop standing in the fire in UBRS, and he kicked me from LFG? I was in a party with my friend and the other three weren't in a group. There wasn't a vote-to-kick or anything, he just troll removed me.

...That's possible?

Shahadan

Your opinion is so unpopular that I honestly can't tell if you are being serious.

I don't care about dumb people. Garrisons were great, managing followers as well. Everyone agreed the first month.
It's not because there was nothing to do later or people got bored of them (or worse can't even be self disciplined enough to not use them if it's too repetitive) that garrisons were bad.

The lack of customization (or even true choice in the buildings) sucked though, but it's Blizzard so that was obvious.

Anyway they'll do the usual cycle. People complained so they'll remove them, then people will find the replacement/lack worse and complain so they'll add something like it next expansion.
Watch Valor points come back in whatever xpac we're getting soon.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I don't care about dumb people. .

This is not an effective discussion tactic, especially considering how many of the people who soured on garrisons are in this thread.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
If they do something with garrisons and followers again I want something like you're on a boat or some sort of command center (one building) sending your followers out on missions, and you improve that command center with artifacts and and enhancements that tie into the follower missions and your own questing.

The building should be in whatever main city you want to be located in, or a new city or something like gnomeregon and whatever the equivalent would be for horde.

Or the storm wind barracks area being reconstructed with this in mind.

The building would be instanced for you but you can still see other people going in and out -- maybe just your guild or something, but they still see their own command center thing.

Ugh this is getting to wish listy now. I'm at work and bored.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I don't care about dumb people. Garrisons were great, managing followers as well. Everyone agreed the first month.
It's not because there was nothing to do later or people got bored of them (or worse can't even be self disciplined enough to not use them if it's too repetitive) that garrisons were bad.

The lack of customization (or even true choice in the buildings) sucked though, but it's Blizzard so that was obvious.

Anyway they'll do the usual cycle. People complained so they'll remove them, then people will find the replacement/lack worse and complain so they'll add something like it next expansion.
Watch Valor points come back in whatever xpac we're getting soon.

Valor points shouldn't have gone away to begin with. I Loved the way Wrath's currency wrok.

And yeah, you have a fairly unpopular opinion about garrisons. They have their place, but I think too much emphasis was put on them. Like, they made professions fairly useless because most people could put in a profession building in their garrison and eliminate the need for some of the needs of that profession.

I think a very scaled down version of the garrisons could work in a future expansion. It felt like my followers were doing all of the fun things and not me, as the player.

ZenaxPure

If they do something with garrisons and followers again I want something like you're on a boat or some sort of command center (one building) sending your followers out on missions, and you improve that command center with artifacts and and enhancements that tie into the follower missions and your own questing.

If they do garrisons again I just hope they take the pet battle approach to it. Make it a feature you can sink a lot of time into but make it optional. No legendary quest stuff tied to it and if they want to keep raid loot attached to the follower missions then make it an either/or thing (like instead of doing the follower mission you can just do a quest yourself and get the reward instead).

What I don't want them to do is remove the feature entirely. Removing stuff forum whiners complain about is exactly what lead us to Warlords being so bad. It needs to be modified, not removed.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
If they do garrisons again I just hope they take the pet battle approach to it. Make it a feature you can sink a lot of time into but make it optional. No legendary quest stuff tied to it and if they want to keep raid loot attached to the follower missions then make it an either/or thing (like instead of doing the follower mission you can just do a quest yourself and get the reward instead).

What I don't want them to do is remove the feature entirely. Removing stuff forum whiners complain about is exactly what lead us to Warlords being so bad. It needs to be modified, not removed.

I agree. They make followers as rewards for achievements and stuff so it would be very odd if the whole system gets scrapped without some sort of refinement.

Draxal

Bingo.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
This expansion will definitely be the turning point one way or the other for me with Blizzard. If it is as underwhelming with such a lack of content as WoD with no plans to keep it going steady, I'll be done with the game. I understand that WoD was such a huge bad taste after launch, so I'm a little forgiving on this one.

Yearly expansions in place of content updates is not a way I want to go with this game.

V-Faction

If they add ships as mobile garrisons that other people could see, I bet that would solve the problem. Also, giving the option of building up a Crew and eventually a Fleet of our own of actual players with specific roles (separate from Guilds), like Captain, First Mate, Swabbie, Lookout, whatever you can think. Make Port cities where people can recruit, resupply, dock, do all the things a ship allows.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm most excited to watch them try to justify another 50 dollar price tag. 'We made the new innovative feature of forcing a boost with your purchase with Warlords of Draenor. With this expansion, we figure you could use that extra little boost, that's why you'll be able to upgrade your boost to 90 to a boost to 100!'

Moving forward I think if they kept garrisons (or some form of instanced housing) but made them more central to whatever city you wanted (so your groups and guildies could enter) as well as being customisable and entirely secondary, optional activities people would probably be happier with them.

ampere

IMO Blizz could solve the whole problem regarding social interations in WoD if they removed Trade Chat from garrisons.

That isn't the problem. The problem is that you can sit in a Garrison and get all your profession mats, lots of gold, even raid gear... And it's just a glorified Facebook F2P game.

The efficient way to get mats and progress should be going out in the world.

Tenebrous

Get off dead server (clusters) to a top 10 realm? Maybe they need more merges. But that doesn't really help the fact that populated realms have already attracted most of the talent by now (outside of specific cases for limited reasons), sort of a brain drain effect going on.

Not moving until I can do so with gold.

Top Bottom