• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

JSoup

Banned
Yeah, there is, one lone Tuskarr. Apparently the rest of his kind disagree with his decision to look for new fish, heh.

I actually liked the introduction of transmog, void storage etc too, because it meant we have an Ethereal presence outside of Outland.

I was really hoping the garrison fishing shack would have a Tuskarr option.

V-Faction

On the topic of races:

More races is fun, and here's the ticket: they don't need to undergo a huge investment to do them! Worgen and Goblin starting areas--really cool, really memorable, but a big dump of resources that they don't have to focus on. Instead, take races already in place, give them some starter quests, then shove 'em out into the new world.

Horde: Ogres. Just freakin' do it finally, after all this time. The models are fine, the lore is rich, and there already exists a faction of Ogres within the Horde to justify their presence--the Stonemaul clan. Like the Darkspear Trolls, they don't represent the entire intricacies of the race but are enough of an off-shoot to work. Get them in, they suddenly become the biggest racial model ever ruining doorways everywhere, and the Horde goes back to its roots with another brutish race. Big money, big Ogre women.

Alliance: High elves. Exactly the same situation with the Ogres--the models exist (blue eyes instead of green!), the story setup is there (the Silver Covenant, Vereesa Windrunner), and it would probably take even less work than the Horde. I know it's a little cheaty what with Blood Elves already existing, but the premise isn't, especially if you consider how Pandaren exist as both Ally and Horde. Plus, you go back to the Alliance's roots of having a pretty and human-like race again, where as the past 2 times they've gotten goats and wolves.

Ethereal: Now, because folks might be a little underwhelmed with yet more ogres and elves, the next step is to create a third neutral faction in which players pick their allegiance (ala Pandaren). Thus, Ethereals; a cool-looking, unique foreign race. Most fans have been clamoring for their adoption since BC. But since lore-wise Ethereals don't really fall solidly into either Alliance or Horde camps, having them start out as neutral allows everybody to pick and choose to their liking. The race is no stranger to magics, weapon-wielding, summoning... they could fit plenty of current class archetypes. And given their nethery appearance and proclivity for money, trade, and bartering, I'm sure Blizz could come up with some especially neat racial abilities.

Naga: Psssh, Naga plz.

Race off-shoots: Like Taunkas, undead elves, brown ogres, forest trolls, dark iron dwarves... I like it. Only thing is, does it count as separate or simply a barber shop aesthetic that can be changed on the fly?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
If ogres were gonna happen they would've happened already with Cata or WoD, and if Alliance gets Blood Elves with blue eyes and Horde gets an entirely new race, that will never fly.

If that ever happens where we get some of those weird races that they've said will never happen like Naga or High Elves I'll know WoW is done for.

Shahadan

I don't care about more races, they're all ugly anyway.
However if they could finally decide to steal the FF14 class system I would be happy. Let me access all the classes on a single character.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Alliance: High elves.

272.gif

Alliance can get High Elves when Horde gets like, Eredar or Dark Iron Dwarves or something. Gotta balance it out.

I would also accept Vrykul as a human surrogate.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
We're gonna have a real fucking issue if the Ogres aren't bigger than the Tauren because Blizzard doesn't want to scale up doors.

V-Faction

If ogres were gonna happen they would've happened already with Cata or WoD, and if Alliance gets Blood Elves with blue eyes and Horde gets an entirely new race, that will never fly.

If that ever happens where we get some of those weird races that they've said will never happen like Naga or High Elves I'll know WoW is done for.

The point is neither of them are "new" races. Their models, animations, all that, already exist within the game. So the work to include them as playable would be minimal, meaning less of a drain on development. People have been transforming into things like ogres for years anyway.

Plus, did you forget when Horde got Goblins as their "new" race despite having been in the game for years?

Shahadan

From a lore/RP point of view, it just makes absolutely zero sense. Being able to call on the strength of earth, arcane, light & demons all on a single character... No thanks. Never never never.

From a lore/RP point of view nothing makes sense already :x
They could find a way to explain it if they wanted to anyway.

Sadly it will probably never be added.

Tenebrous

From a lore/RP point of view nothing makes sense already :x
They could find a way to explain it if they wanted to anyway.

Sadly it will probably never be added.

True that. I look forward to doing PvP on my Orc Warrior with Night Elves and Gnomes... Sigh. Fucking hate Blizzard lately

Rather have extra professions on every char, though.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
The point is neither of them are "new" races. Their models, animations, all that, already exist within the game. So the work to include them as playable would be minimal, meaning less of a drain on development. People have been transforming into things like ogres for years anyway.

Plus, did you forget when Horde got Goblins as their "new" race despite having been in the game for years?

Uh, both of your examples are terrible. The goblins were new, they were completely re-done from scratch.

And ogres are missing a lot of animations and are running on the old model rig, whereas all the new races are on the same one to share animations.

Also there are no ogre females.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Garrisons
Shipyard

Ships constructed at a Level 3 Shipyard should now always be Rare quality or better with an increased chance to be Epic quality.
All rare creatures and NPCs in Tanaan now have a chance to drop a number of equipment blueprints for ships.

Buffs to Garrison Resource

Completing the first Draenor Heroic Dungeon of the day now awards 200 Garrison Resource (up from 50).
Bringing Down the Iron Horde: The daily quest now awards 100 Garrison Resource on completion (up from 50).
Demonslayer of Tanaan: The daily quest now awards 100 Garrison Resource on completion (up from 50).
Pressing the Attack: The daily quest now awards 150 Garrison Resource on completion (up from 0).

Items

Tablet of Ghost Wolf's movement speed increase to Ghost Wolf form should now be working correctly.

Hot fixes

iirate

It still sorta blows my mind that there are people that actually want to play as Ogres.

I mean, I get it on some level(since I almost exclusively play female tauren, and I'm sure many people absolutely don't get that), and I also understand that they make sense as a playable race when considering the lore, but I still have trouble accepting that they're actually a really popular/desired horde race.

lazygecko

The old and new goblin models are worlds apart in quality. The old ones were very basic and not even up to the same quality as the vanilla 2004 playable races. It was one of those holdover assets from the beta/alpha when the graphics were much simpler (like those human models you can see in Old Hillsbrad). Remaking the goblins was far from a matter of just upping the polycount and texture resolution.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
It still sorta blows my mind that there are people that actually want to play as Ogres.

I mean, I get it on some level(since I almost exclusively play female tauren, and I'm sure many people absolutely don't get that), and I also understand that they make sense as a playable race when considering the lore, but I still have trouble accepting that they're actually a really popular/desired horde race.

Such a misunderstood flower you are.

V-Faction

Uh, both of your examples are terrible. The goblins were new, they were completely re-done from scratch.

And ogres are missing a lot of animations and are running on the old model rig, whereas all the new races are on the same one to share animations.

Also there are no ogre females.

I know the goblins were made from scratch. The old ones looked like shit, were based off of old dwarven rigs, and had no females.

But, compare adding a few more animations for Ogres to completely recreating a race from scratch. Again, it's more about lessening the load. That's the only way we're going to get multiple races in a new x-pac if you ask me. They just updated the Blood Elves, so "re-using" them would be fairly okay if that's your sort of thing. If they want to go all out with a revamp for a new race like with the Worgen and Goblins, by all means they should do it. However, just like with the updated player models I bet it's a big time sink. Half of me suspects that's one of the reasons why we didn't get a new "thing"--class or race--to play with in WoD because of how focused on the old models they were.

Female ogres though, you got me there. Maybe we could finally get them after 10+ years. With two-heads.

The old and new goblin models are worlds apart in quality. The old ones were very basic and not even up to the same quality as the vanilla 2004 playable races. It was one of those holdover assets from the beta/alpha when the graphics were much simpler (like those human models you can see in Old Hillsbrad). Remaking the goblins was far from a matter of just upping the polycount and texture resolution.

Again, it's just a matter of whether they want to be 100% original with the models or use a springboard. If Blizzard chooses ogres, they have a base to work from. Or, they can scrap and re-build. We just had the Orc n' Ogres expansion, so if they had any chance or wish fulfillment to update the animations, that time is right now.

New races come once in a blue moon. At this point, I don't need some super-special Godly race crafted by the finest artist and out of pure beauty... I'll just take some stinkin' ogres.

ZenaxPure

I bet you there's more people in the world that would want to play an ogre than there are that want to play a female tauren.

My friend has been talking about playing ogres since quite literally vanilla. I want it to happen just so he can make one and then not play it and hopefully stop talking about it.

iirate

Such a misunderstood flower you are.

Really dude? I wouldn't bring it up if I didn't actively get shit about it from friends.

Also, I'm not against ogres - they'd just be the first race introduced that I have trouble understanding the appeal of. If you like them, more power to you.

EDIT: Off-topic, but the wait for flying is getting difficult. I was someone who really didn't mind not getting it back ever, as long as players were given some way to still use those mounts(such as at flight points), but now that I know it's returning, I'm getting really impatient.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
There were no Orc females, troll females, dwarf females, etc etc in WC3 before WoW came out, so I don't see why that should matter.
The real question here is if ogres are introduced, two-headed ogres? And if then, customization options for each head?
LCnCRPK.gif

2nd head would be for casters only and its appearance would be based on your class choice.

Dinged 100 on my Alliance DK. Had enough GR and gold for the level 3 garrison upgrade, but not much left after that.

Now the real grind begins, especially if I funnel empowered apexis fragments from the Horde characters I have Tanaan unlocked on. But that's for tomorrow or the next day. Getting to 100 was enough for tonight. Did do proving grounds though, so I can hop in heroics for the ring quests tomorrow.

Can probably get into normal HFC in a week or two depending on how hard I hit the apexis dailies. Still a bit far from my goal of having a Mythic/Heroic raiding character on another server, but it's a start. Dunno if I want to look for a stepping stone guild to raid with before applying to the guild I've been eyeing, or if I just want to pug things until the gear is in an acceptable state.

Semper88

Im just looking for a fun to play experience without needing too much dedication giving my lack of time to play, to concilate with some Guild Wars 2 and Halo down the road.

Im looking for fun games to play in long terms, that however, even playing more casually, I still can have lots of fun with.

Stay way from FFXIV, used to play it ALOT and also progression raid but it still falls short compared to WoW.

Area's are bland, every quest is a fetch quest i.e. get my cheese get me wine and slay 2 rats.

End-game raids are cool but not for the casual, you'll need a dedicated team to make any progress at all. You got casual raids and dungeons as well at end game but thats only one raid and 2 dungeons...

Basicly you'll be stuck at 60 at some point, grinding out 2 dungeons and a raid every week untill they add a few silly dungeons.

Horrid end-game and the PvP is laughable horrid, so much server lag that if you are a melee everyone is out of range while you are standing inside a person.

go with WoW :)

Robin64

Wait, we're getting back flying? What was the whole point of taking it out, then?

Well they didn't like how it affected questing and such, but this new implementation requires the player to have basically done everything already before earning the ability to fly.

You need to have explored every zone, done every quest, done every bonus objective, found over half of the treasures out in the world, and gotten the latest 6.2 reputations to Revered.

Ark

You need to have explored every zone, done every quest, done every bonus objective, found over half of the treasures out in the world, and gotten the latest 6.2 reputations to Revered.

Well....looks like I'm going to be busy for a while then.

Nudull

Banned
Well they didn't like how it affected questing and such, but this new implementation requires the player to have basically done everything already before earning the ability to fly.

Understandable, though it obviously seems like a lot. Hope it doesn't become too much of a hassle once I get around to having high-level/endgame characters.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Re: Ogres - a big part of it is just that they are the only unit race from Warcraft 2 that is not currently a playable race. Orcs, trolls, humans, goblins, gnomes, and dwarves are all in. And yes, that includes High elves, because Blood elves and High elves are absolutely the same race.

Kssio_Aug

Then WoW seems like a good option. Find a social guild full of people you can relate to, and just enjoy the game at your own pace. There's a ludicrous amount of content available to new players, and the only reason you see old players complaining is because they're expecting even more new content (and rightfully so).

But still, the base game includes the first four expansions, and there's literally thousands of hours of gameplay there for you.

Stay way from FFXIV, used to play it ALOT and also progression raid but it still falls short compared to WoW.

Area's are bland, every quest is a fetch quest i.e. get my cheese get me wine and slay 2 rats.

End-game raids are cool but not for the casual, you'll need a dedicated team to make any progress at all. You got casual raids and dungeons as well at end game but thats only one raid and 2 dungeons...

Basicly you'll be stuck at 60 at some point, grinding out 2 dungeons and a raid every week untill they add a few silly dungeons.

Horrid end-game and the PvP is laughable horrid, so much server lag that if you are a melee everyone is out of range while you are standing inside a person.

go with WoW :)

Thank you both! Yesterday I tried the free trial and it seems pretty cool. I think it will be good to concilate between GW2 and WoW! :D

A question regarding the game purchase: if I buy that pack with the starter and the last expansion, will I get acess to all the expansions?
Also, will I receive one more free month with it?

Robin64

Yep, you just need the base pack and the latest expansion to have every bit of content on your account. And no, expansions don't come with more game time. (Annoyingly)

Thank you both! Yesterday I tried the free trial and it seems pretty cool. I think it will be good to concilate between GW2 and WoW! :D

A question regarding the game purchase: if I buy that pack with the starter and the last expansion, will I get acess to all the expansions?
Also, will I receive one more free month with it?

WoW is split into 2 versions. Base game and current xpac. Base game includes everything from launch to the previous xpac. If you want 100 stuff, you will have to buy WoD separately.

Also, if you only have the starter version, I can hook you up with 2 months of game time if you want to do recruit a friend. Ill gladly trade some gold for RAF mounts. :)

Robin64

So the upcoming dungeon weekend has the following reps for the dungeons, giving about 20 per mob and 400 per boss:

Frostwolf Orcs
Shadowmoon Burial Grounds
Iron Docks
Grimrail Depot

Laughing Skull
Auchindoun
Everbloom

Steemwheedle Preservation Society
Bloodmaul Slag Mines
Upper Blackrock Spire

Arakkoa Outcasts
Skyreach

I assume the Alliance factions awarded are just the counterparts to the Horde ones listed here.

Anoregon

Laughing Skull for auchindoun makes -600% lore sense and I don't even care.

Tenebrous

So the upcoming dungeon weekend has the following reps for the dungeons, giving about 20 per mob and 400 per boss:

I assume the Alliance factions awarded are just the counterparts to the Horde ones listed here.

So I can just queue randoms and get exalted in a few days? Not bad. I'm exalted with every pre WoD faction in the game (except Bloodsail Admirals because I did it wrong), including the removed ones, but I've not been convinced to get rep up at all this expansion. They need a new rep title for 80+ factions or whatever it is.

I got the e-mail for a week of free game time so what has changed since Highmaul launched, that was the last time i played.

Also looks like servers aren't working right now, cool

Edit: Oh yeah is there a GAF Horde guild or server? Still got that 90 boost

Anoregon

Be nice if 6.2 was the last content patch where we had to listen to Chris Metzen growling at himself in the final raid encounter.

Is he the voice of Archimonde? Because I know he isn't khadgar or Grom. Or Yrel, obviously.

Top Bottom