• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Tenebrous

All this expansion talks has me feel the urge to go back and start leveling my alts.

The cycle begins again.

Just make sure you target all the Garrison building books for 90-100. Easy 5k in addition to the 5k you make from powerleveling. Can do 90-100 in a day with no preperation.

If Garrisons are any kind of significant feature in the next expansion, I probably won't bother. The only way I'm okay with them is if they're an entirely optional and cosmetic player housing thing, or what they should have been to begin with.

Blizzard needs to figure out how to produce timely MMORPG content again and quit experimenting with gimmicks. If we're going to ~1 year expansion lifecycles, then major content patches absolutely need to be releasing at least once every 3 months or so.

I'm to a point where I sub once, maybe twice during an expansion's lifecycle and it has been that way since Wrath. If WoD's lifecycle is a pattern, I'll probably start skipping entire expansions.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

JSoup

Banned
So, I wouldn't mind another garrision-like thing. I have to assume they identified what failed here and are going to come up with something theoretically better. There is a certain allure to being able to say "this area of the game belongs to me and me alone" if executed correctly.

Measley

I really hope we get a new class. One of the things I loved about MoP was rolling a Monk and rolling through the world and old dungeons. Made the game feel fresh again.

Of course it helped that MoP was an excellent expansion.

Ark

Get off dead server (clusters) to a top 10 realm? Maybe they need more merges. But that doesn't really help the fact that populated realms have already attracted most of the talent by now (outside of specific cases for limited reasons), sort of a brain drain effect going on.

Outland EU is literally just spammed with people looking for arena partners (I really wish I didn't re-roll onto a PvP server with almost no PvE guilds..).

That, or Thunderfury Blessed Blade of the Windseeker.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I really hope we get a new class. One of the things I loved about MoP was rolling a Monk and rolling through the world and old dungeons. Made the game feel fresh again.

Really? Because outside of the Monk class I didn't really enjoy it. They went way too hard on the reputation grinds.

Tenebrous

Except they gimped the shit out of the old dungeons and running them was mostly terrible.

Robin64

I love pre-expansion rumours and hype. Such a fun time.

Seeing rumblings around now that the next expansion is about Sylvanas resurrecting or using Tyr's power somehow, as Tyr is the one under Light's Hope and the surrounding areas. (Remember how the Lich King was shit there because of some power?) Also that Tirisfal is a name derived from Tyr's Fall.

Not going to be it, of course, but I still love stuff like this and how people do their best to make expansion rumours fit.

Shahadan

There's too many rumors concerning Tirsifal and stuff....is it a coincidence? :p

I hope we get Azshara as planned and not some dumb stuff to tie with the movie. Movie's release date and WoD's existence has me worried though. Also it makes too much business sense ;(

Anyway we should remember that, as history showed, one of the expansion rumors we get this week will be true, no matter how far fetched it sounds

Robin64

To be fair, I think WoD was the tie-in to the movie. Blizz needed a way to get new players up to speed on who the various Orcish Warlords are and to see Draenor and such. I'm not so worried that the next expansion will be more of that.

ZenaxPure

Not going to be it, of course, but I still love stuff like this and how people do their best to make expansion rumours fit.

Plenty of people have forgotten it by now but there was that IGN interview with Blizz at WoD launch where they asked what future expansions would be and Blizz's response was we haven't seen the end of Sylvanas and the Emerald Dream seems like a cool place.

So I wouldn't be surprised if there was something where she is at the center of the story.

CassSept

Oooh, that would be great. I've been wanting an expansion to deal with 'the thing under Tirisfal' since before WotLK. Back before flying was made available in Azeroth and we could only ponder what's the deal with Western Tirisfal Glades. I loved when they added that curious event with Fey Dragons at the beginning of Cata. The name 'Tirisfal' itself is damn cool too, to me it just screams somber mysticism.

ZenaxPure

Oooh, that would be great. I've been wanting an expansion to deal with 'the thing under Tirisfal' since before WotLK. Back before flying was made available in Azeroth and we could only ponder what's the deal with Western Tirisfal Glades. I loved when they added that curious event with Fey Dragons at the beginning of Cata. The name 'Tirisfal' itself is damn cool too, to me it just screams somber mysticism.

Yeah it's always been a really mysterious part of the lore I'm just not sure what direction they would go with it for an expansion (basically what would the new landmass be).

Speaking of that though I like how that one unused zone above EPL is still a thing that is there and is doing nothing. They had the chance to take it out in Cata but didn't and it still on all the maps.

Robin64

The Tirisfal Glades were the landing place of the Highborne (later high elves) led by Dath'Remar Sunstrider after the night elves exiled them from Kalimdor. Forging inland, the high elves founded a settlement within the tranquil Tirisfal Glades. After a few years, many of them began to go mad. It was theorized that something evil slept beneath that particular part of the world, but the rumors were never proven to be true. The high elves packed up their encampment and moved northward towards another land rich with ley energies, Quel'thalas.

Awesome. The notion of something being terrible enough to drive the High Elves away is a-okay with me. It'd be great to see the current Blood Elves confronting this, too, getting back to their roots in EK.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Yeah it's always been a really mysterious part of the lore I'm just not sure what direction they would go with it for an expansion (basically what would the new landmass be).

Speaking of that though I like how that one unused zone above EPL is still a thing that is there and is doing nothing. They had the chance to take it out in Cata but didn't and it still on all the maps.

It's generally referred to as "Northern Lordaeron"

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Northern_Lordaeron

Dicer

Banned
http://www.wowhead.com/flying

Plug your details into that and it'll tell you exactly which parts you still need to do to unlock the achievement for flying. You're probably a lot closer than you think.

Edit: regarding the invasion ones, probably the only one you cant pick up for garrison resources to do in one day is The Pit so you'll need to keep an eye out for that to pop up on your mission table.

Not that far off...
Explore DraenorJump to Guide
Explore Frostfire Ridge 80.0%
Explore Spires of Arak 82.4%
Explore Gorgrond 100.0%
Explore Nagrand 100.0%
Explore Shadowmoon Valley 100.0%
Explore Talador 100.0%
Loremaster of DraenorJump to GuideView quests in the Profiler
Between Arak and a Hard Place 77.8%
As I Walk Through the Valley of the Shadow of Moon 100.0%
Don't Let the Tala-door Hit You on the Way Out 100.0%
Nagrandeur 100.0%
Putting the Gore in Gorgrond 100.0%
Securing DraenorJump to Guide
Securing Draenor 75.0%
Master Treasure HunterJump to Guide
Treasure Hunter Complete
Expert Treasure Hunter Complete
Master Treasure Hunter Incomplete
Tanaan DiplomatJump to Guide
The Saberstalkers 85.8%
Hand of the Prophet 100.0%
Order of the Awakened 100.0%

Robin64

Mostly just mountains now though, right? I mean, there's a bit of Highborne stuff on the coast but it's mostly pretty boring.

Original pre-pre-pre-alpha map is quite interesting, though.

Dragon_Isles_map.jpg

ZenaxPure

Mostly just mountains now though, right? I mean, there's a bit of Highborne stuff on the coast but it's mostly pretty boring.

Yep pretty much, nothing of interest. But maybe someday!

Also just saw that we should be getting Q2 sub numbers next week. Wonder if tokens/6.2 was enough to stabilize things out or what. Really feel like it could go either way this time.

Ark

so they totally going to reveal the new expansion at gamescom

I'm expecting a trailer (not cinematic) and some broad info, but I imagine we'll get the total blowout at Blizzcon.

Or they could just reveal everything at Gamescom during the live event. Which would make more sense, actually.

Robin64

This one made me chuckle.

Hello peeps, blizz dev leaked expansion !

Orcs of The Orcish Nether : Orcathon !

The plot is that all of the orcs go beserk and orc out everywhere, so we have to use the legendary orc weapon to kill the orc leader so that we can kill the other orc leader so that the green jesus orc and kill that orc in a field that looks nothing like the cinematic, and then, we go to the orc lands and see truly how stupid and weak all orcs are because theres like 10 thousand orcs and they cant kill 100 alliance kiddies for absoloutely no reason !

plus, new class and race !

New Race : Alliance Orc !
New Race: Red Orc

New class : Orcatrossity
This class takes all the best things from death knight and warrior , and can only be used by 3 classes; orc, alliance orc, and red orc.

All other races get a revamped racial. Orc-Away.
What it does is the champion holds up a poster, and the orc runs away ! If you take a long look at the poster, you can see that it is their mother-in-law !

Everyone, get ready for the next expansiooon !!!!

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
People are having a ball on mmochamp with the "chinese leak". Poorly translated vague riddles have unlimited hype potential.

Robin64

Some players worry that World of Warcraft is rapidly running out of settings for new expansions, and the return to the orcish homeworld of Draenor (altered by time though it may be) does little to quell these fears. But Chilton believes these concerns have little foundation. He tell me that huge sections of the established World of Warcraft lore remain unexplored: settings such as the Emerald Dream associated with the Night Elves; the world of Argus, where the Burning Legion started; even the “big ogre continent on Draenor where the ogres originally come from.”

“People have been eating Tel’abim bananas in World of Warcraft for a long time,” he says, laughing, “but they’ve never been to Tel’abim.”

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-future-of-world-of-warcraft/#page-2

Tel'abim!

(Yeah, this is fairly old now)

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Didn't they say Draenor was built from the ground up?

Which obviously turned out to be bull?

I meant thematically, not like literally taking the existing outland geography and reworking it.

And no, it did not obviously turn out to be bull. Draenor Nagrand is the only zone that even bares a passing resemblance to an Outland zone.

Shahadan

Northrend revamp is next, obviously.
Naga vs Kvaldirs
Boredom
Bolvar is not so nice after all
Sylvanas has something to do
Yogg Saron rematch
Pandaren Death Knights

Kadin

What's the state of the game if I resub but haven't purchased WoD? For whatever reason, the latest expansion doesn't sound appealing at all. Is the game still very much playable just without the higher level cap, etc.? Am I really missing out on anything essential? I still have a lot of characters to get to the prior cap.

Anoregon

heh, that chinese leak mentions a warchief change yet again, please don't kill Vol'jin.

My guess it's Sylvanas.

I get unreasonably butthurt when people throw hate at Vol'Jin. Some people just hate admitting that Trolls are better than Orcs.

What's the state of the game if I resub but haven't purchased WoD? For whatever reason, the latest expansion doesn't sound appealing at all. Is the game still very much playable just without the higher level cap, etc.? Am I really missing out on anything essential? I still have a lot of characters to get to the prior cap.

WoW itself has always been a very max level-centric game, so not having the latest expansion means that you will have a fine time hitting the previous level cap (90) but at that point pretty much be finished.

ampere

Didn't they say Draenor was built from the ground up?

Which obviously turned out to be bull?

Obviously from a design standpoint it wouldn't make sense to not use Outland as a template at least. That's not really a valid criticism, and Draenor does feel like a new place.

heh, that chinese leak mentions a warchief change yet again, please don't kill Vol'jin.

My guess it's Sylvanas.

... they aren't going to change Warchiefs again. lol

Anoregon

Yeah, the clearest parts of that chinese "leak" are playable demonhunters and a new warchief. Also some stuff with Tyr, and Sylvanas being naughty.

Robin64

Making a "leak" is so easy though. A dash of things that will obviously happen, a bunch of stuff people have talked about wanting for years, and some unexpected stuff that must be true because the other stuff sounds it. Bonus points for using obscure bits of lore that can be verified when people look them up. We should make one!

- Wrathion turns up and tells us he was paying attention all along and now we have to go and rescue Gul'dan from where he's been sent, Argus, because he has some vital info on how to defeat the Burning Legion.
- Recruit Illidan to train up a new army of Demon Hunters in preperation for an assault on a major Burning Legion stronghold.
- Liadrin and Yrel together convince the Naaru to lend us The Tempest Keep to get there, and that is our shared capital city in the expansion, protected by the power of The Light.
- Personalised Quarters in Tempest Keep, acting as your home space for this expansion, like Garrisons and Farms did previously.
- Timewalker Zones: Repeat old Azeroth zone questlines at max level for appropriate rewards. Zones on rotation to encourage activity within them.
- Dance Studio

Battle for Azeroth Expansion

- Continent north of Tirisfal rises, the Titan city of Uldex, home of Tyr!
- Naga ruins west of Ashenvale see a huge resurgence in activity, possibly attempting to resurrect the Old God to which the Faceless Ones pray!
- Med'an returns, and as host of Sargeras
- Demon Hunters enlist with both Horde and Alliance to fight the menace
- Sylvanas and the Forsaken believe they are best suited to lead the Horde

CassSept

Maybe I'm just salty because I really wanted to see Farahlon and more Draenei content (Auchindoun and Shatt in their glory days, completely wasted... ).

Making a "leak" is so easy though. A dash of things that will obviously happen, a bunch of stuff people have talked about wanting for years, and some unexpected stuff that must be true because the other stuff sounds it. Bonus points for using obscure bits of lore that can be verified when people look them up. We should make one!

At least I'm glad that dumb roadmap fake seems to have finally died.

Anoregon

- Recruit Illidan to train up a new army of Demon Hunters in preperation for an assault on a major Burning Legion stronghold.
- Liadrin and Yrel together convince the Naaru to lend us The Tempest Keep to get there, and that is our shared capital city in the expansion, protected by the power of The Light.
- Personalised Quarters in Tempest Keep, acting as your home space for this expansion, like Garrisons and Farms did previously.
]

fuck you I want this now

McNei1y

Yeah I got into Northern Lordaeron a few years back by glitching in there. It's mainly weird elf structures and cliffs. Pretty much a "placeholder" for quelthalas. Western Tirisfal is what has me curious.

Top Bottom