• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

ampere

What's the best way to get gold currently? I tried googling it but just got some crap from people wanting to sell me shit.

Like laughtry said, mining, herbing, skinning will be big gold makers when the expac hits.

Also Savage Bloods from the Garrison barn. They are required to upgrade crafted gear, raiders will want many many of them.

StayDead

Be sure to farm mining for the first month because after that it'll be worthless. The gold farmers will catch onto it and crash the market. It happens every single time.

tmespe

Like laughtry said, mining, herbing, skinning will be big gold makers when the expac hits.

Also Savage Bloods from the Garrison barn. They are required to upgrade crafted gear, raiders will want many many of them.

Thanks. Guess I will just wait then. It's not like flying mount skills will matter in Draenor anyway yet.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Considering that I've been playing this game for almost 2 months and I'm posting in a GAF community of veteran players, I'm rather curious about the differences between vanilla WoW and the current state of WoW. The differences must be huge.

I can imagine that some stuff that vanilla WoW wouldn't have been deemed acceptable nowadays.

StayDead

I can imagine that some stuff that vanilla WoW wouldn't have been deemed acceptable nowadays.

I think it's the opposite in terms of class mechanics, well among veteran players.

I think the huge thing that wouldn't be deemed acceptable anymore was how long it took to level. It took me an obsene amount of time to get to level 60 and now the level cap is going to be 100 you'd spend about 2 years levelling at the old rate haha.

Daniel R

My first character, a druid took 21 days played to get to 60!
The 2nd one which was a hunter I believe did it in probably 15.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I think it's the opposite in terms of class mechanics, well among veteran players.

I think the huge thing that wouldn't be deemed acceptable anymore was how long it took to level. It took me an obsene amount of time to get to level 60 and now the level cap is going to be 100 you'd spend about 2 years levelling at the old rate haha.

It's not so much that people want them to go back to exactly the abilities that classes used to have, I think they just articulate it that way because they don't actually know why they liked that.

They liked that because every class felt so different. But that was also when the game would juggle balance back and forth so much it was incredibly fickle.

But right now it's like...how many classes have stealth when it used to just be druids/rogues? Immunities when it used to just be paladins? Self heals, 2 minute cooldowns, interrupts and stuns.

Everything flavorful about class uniqueness is gone. If you have something cool, 2-3 other classes have it too.

StayDead

Everything flavorful about class uniqueness is gone. If you have something cool, 2-3 other classes have it too.

That's my only major issue with the game now in that classes have lost their utility.

I understand why they did it, to make it easier for people to go raiding on the class they wanted to play, but the trouble is all the people who wanted to take only the perfect class setup before for an encounter do is base it off of overall class DPS values and numbers based on simulations done for encounters. It hasn't added anymore choice, all it's done is make some classes completely worthless as they've lost their ability and due to simulations showing their DPS isn't at max as high as something else they'll never get to raid in a top guild.

It's the same issue I've always had with proffesions and racials. Whoever thought it'd be a good idea to give proffesions combat boosts was stupid. It meant that lots of people in raiding guilds switched to proffesions entirely because of a boost it could give you.

lazygecko

I think the class homogenization has been diminished a bit in MoP compared to how it was since WotLK. Warriors and mages don't have a million ways to self-heal anymore. Second Wind especially has been changed to a passive that requires active actions (ie doing damage) to actually work, which is much better than a passive HoT which was ridiculous at times (like 2 people simply not being able to burst down a low health warrior).

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Considering that I've been playing this game for almost 2 months and I'm posting in a GAF community of veteran players, I'm rather curious about the differences between vanilla WoW and the current state of WoW. The differences must be huge.

It's an utterly different game, but it's expected with mmos. FF11 is about the only one that's sort of kept its original feeling.

It's been fun experiencing the changes for all these years, but I have to agree that the number one biggest "change" that sucks is no unique utility for a class.

BACK IN THE DAY you needed a pally for blessings, a priest for fort, a mage for food, a sham for lust (ONLY HORDE), etc. etc. and now you can essentially bring anything and whatever, you'll get all your buffs and it won't matter. The ONLY class that still has some sort of unique utility is warlock with their healthstones (of course it's fuckin warlock fuck you warlock).

It just sucks that they took out the joy of building a 5 man or even a raid. Lining up all your parties so you have important classes in group for buffs, etc. All this raidwide/streamlined bullshit really killed the organizational game we raid leaders enjoyed. Though I'm sure somewhere on the other side someone hated all that shit and loves how simple it is to just invite whoever.

lazygecko

I sometimes like to read comments and discussions about the game from back in the earliest days. You get a general overview on what the zeitgeist was like and what people considered important, and it can be strikingly different to how it is today.

I wanna mention fishing and pet battling here too. The last one is more of a guess since i'm not sure what the rules on crating and selling pets are, but if you have a team capable of catching rare spawns, maybe that'd be worth something? Fishing's always a winner though, and double production crafters will always have access to it.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I sometimes like to read comments and discussions about the game from back in the earliest days. You get a general overview on what the zeitgeist was like and what people considered important, and it can be strikingly different to how it is today.

You know what we considered important? Epics. Back then, there were two players - with epics and without epics. It was such an awesome split. When you walked around Org or IF (the true capital of the alliance) you knew immediately who the hardcore and casual were. That fervor of trying to get a boe epic or craft your chromatic cloak was real, because it was your one and only option for a purp. I really liked what they did with TBC with introducing pvp and pve (heroic) epics for non-hardcore.. but the welfare epics got way out of control with wotlk and now the way they are.

To be honest though, it doesn't matter anymore though because back then the split was about reputation. You knew all the good players/guilds on your server because you played with them everyday. There were no cross server anything.. all pvp and pve was done within server. You tried to get in their casual alt raids or their honor farming groups or just duel them outside of IF/Org. There was a respect for the good players and a lot of the good players sort of "gave back" to people who weren't in those giant guilds.

But now the sense of community is just gone lol. Dead. It's why being on a low pop server sucks for people so much. Technically, being on a low pop server doesn't hinder you in any way in the current system of things.. but there's a weird feeling there. At least for someone like me who knows what it used to be like.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I wanna mention fishing and pet battling here too. The last one is more of a guess since i'm not sure what the rules on crating and selling pets are, but if you have a team capable of catching rare spawns, maybe that'd be worth something? Fishing's always a winner though, and double production crafters will always have access to it.

You can't sell pets you catch, only drops.

Robin64

On the topic of epics, I do think items should be blue for a lot longer. By which I mean, the stuff from Heroic dungeons and LFR could be blue, with the exact same stats they will have.

I was a very casual player in vanilla and one of the most awesome things was when the questline came along to upgrade Dungeon Set 1 to Dungeon Set 2. Some of the things became epic in quality and it felt fantastic, especially because what you had to do for them was a challenging little line for casual players.

Now my entire gear will be purpz without even trying.

On the topic of epics, I do think items should be blue for a lot longer. By which I mean, the stuff from Heroic dungeons and LFR could be blue, with the exact same stats they will have.

I was a very casual player in vanilla and one of the most awesome things was when the questline came along to upgrade Dungeon Set 1 to Dungeon Set 2. Some of the things became epic in quality and it felt fantastic, especially because what you had to do for them was a challenging little line for casual players.

Now my entire gear will be purpz without even trying.

That's something I noticed too.

I had nearly full epics in less than an hour just by going to timeless isle. That is crazy really. And then I was already outgeared for heroics so I never bothered with them

I'm an expert

That's something I noticed too.

I had nearly full epics in less than an hour just by going to timeless isle. That is crazy really. And then I was already outgeared for heroics so I never bothered with them

It's funny because that shift towards instant gratification in the last decade happened not only within a game like this but outside in the real world as well.

I'm an expert

I miss old AV.

No doubt about it. Again, the fun being that you're fighting among your server players so there's a lot of pride on the line for who got to post the victory thread in the forums. Back when people actually used their server forums..

lazygecko

I still have the Ectoplasmic Distiller in my bank from the Dungeon Set 2 questline.

Blue dungeon sets with bonuses are making a comeback in WoD but they're not class specific.

For people who just started playing the game recently, I think missing out on the pre-shattering Azeroth is a pretty big deal (zones before Cata revamp).

You can get a taste of the quest style with BC content, but that's not the same as having spent years in the zones and having the comparative experience of seeing them changed (mostly for the better).

The Barrens being one massive zone, especially when you wouldn't have a mount. Old Orgrimmar with it's singular useful mailbox and running around on the roof of the bank where Grommash Hold now is. I remember it being a big deal when a couple other mailboxes got patched in at one point.

Just some examples, and I only really started playing the game in early Wrath.

This probably sounds like a dumb question, but it's been a while since I've played. What the hell happened to the Shaman's totem bar? I noticed there are less totems now so did they just go back to having to throw them down individually?

At first I thought I just had some out of date mod screwing the UI up, but I couldn't figure out how to get it back. Now I just don't even bother using them.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Hmm... I have no definite opinion on it, but I can understand how it sucks for some of you guys about removing the unique utilities that classes had.

But to be honest, I'm rather more interested about the negative stuff that vanilla WoW had. IIRC, doing attunements just so you can be eligible to do Raids wasn't that fun, right?

lazygecko

You also had to physically travel to the instance entrances for the world's battlegrounds to queue for them. We used to have a little horde community of low level WSG players, and we would travel to Astranaar and cause trouble inbetween queues.

At some point they made it so you could queue to battlegrounds via NPCs in the PvP rooms in the capitals. Of course, during the Scourge invasion pre-WotLK I saw this as a great opportunity for some zombie griefing.

zombiesrdszo.jpg

I had to use swiftness potions in order to run past the Argent Dawn NPCs stationed in the castle casting cures on people. The "SHITe" comes from a guy who just zoned back in from a BG and realises he's about to be rushed by the NPCs turned zombies. Always makes me laugh looking back at that. So glad I archived a lot of my old screenshots.

Question that someone who has a DK can answer:

With a 2H BoA from Garrosh, and rest of the gear crap (Timeless Isle/Greens). What spec would be best to level 90-100?

I got my DK to 90 with Blood but I don't like tanking. No idea what I am doing

I'm an expert

Hmm... I have no definite opinion on it, but I can understand how it sucks for some of you guys about removing the unique utilities that classes had.

But to be honest, I'm rather more interested about the negative stuff that vanilla WoW had. IIRC, doing attunements just so you can be eligible to do Raids wasn't that fun, right?

Attunements were absolutely fine and could be fun, but the account-wide attunement is a much better system because people inevitably have alts and it sucks having to attune them. There are many things that the game has improved on MECHANICALLY.. what's not fixable though is the FEELING the game lost. And even shit like needing an attunement sort of added to the lore factor. They kind of have it with the legendary cape thing, and again, account wide attunement is better for it.. same with how mounts/achieves are shared.

I mean, off the top of my head, something in vanilla that sucked was inventory management in general. Here's something newbies might not know about - reagents and mats for spells. Or a mage having to make each individual food/water and trade it manually to a player (and the player had to make sure they left space open for it when raiding..not to mention all the pots). They've done a great job of expanding bags and banks and lessening mat requirements in general, but you can see people still feel that there isn't enough space lol.

This probably sounds like a dumb question, but it's been a while since I've played. What the hell happened to the Shaman's totem bar? I noticed there are less totems now so did they just go back to having to throw them down individually?

At first I thought I just had some out of date mod screwing the UI up, but I couldn't figure out how to get it back. Now I just don't even bother using them.

Totems are totally different. Read a quick guide on them. Don't stop using totems though lol.

Wunder

Yeah, I think they changed it in MoP and in 6.0.2 but I'm not 100% but all the buffs that used to be granted (Grace/Wrath of Air, Strength of Earth, Flametongue and Windfury) have all been folded in as passive buffs now. Kind of sad, but it doesn't take away the utility that Shaman used to bring. Unfortunately like others have said, there was a trend towards homogeneity between classes and every class can provide at least two or three raid-wide buffs now.

In it's place, you have the Fire totem as your main stay with Searing/Magma/Fire Elemental that you'll want to put down, but the rest are sort of cooldown based things that are situational for PvP and levelling (Earthbind, Grounding, Capacitor). There was a raid one (Stormlash) but I think that'd gone now.

Yeah, I think they changed it in MoP and in 6.0.2 but I'm not 100% but all the buffs that used to be granted (Grace/Wrath of Air, Strength of Earth, Flametongue and Windfury) have all been folded in as passive buffs now. Kind of sad, but it doesn't take away the utility that Shaman used to bring. Unfortunately like others have said, there was a trend towards homogeneity between classes and every class can provide at least two or three raid-wide buffs now.

In it's place, you have the Fire totem as your main stay with Searing/Magma/Fire Elemental that you'll want to put down, but the rest are sort of cooldown based things that are situational for PvP and levelling (Earthbind, Grounding, Capacitor). There was a raid one (Stormlash) but I think that'd gone now.

Kind of a bummer. I understand less need for it with it being less likely that you'll even want 4 totems down at once, but I just liked the bar for UI maintenance mostly. Was nice to have them out of the way and in one small bar rather than every totem taking up a spot.

iirate

You know what we considered important? Epics. Back then, there were two players - with epics and without epics. It was such an awesome split. When you walked around Org or IF (the true capital of the alliance) you knew immediately who the hardcore and casual were. That fervor of trying to get a boe epic or craft your chromatic cloak was real, because it was your one and only option for a purp. I really liked what they did with TBC with introducing pvp and pve (heroic) epics for non-hardcore.. but the welfare epics got way out of control with wotlk and now the way they are.

To be honest though, it doesn't matter anymore though because back then the split was about reputation. You knew all the good players/guilds on your server because you played with them everyday. There were no cross server anything.. all pvp and pve was done within server. You tried to get in their casual alt raids or their honor farming groups or just duel them outside of IF/Org. There was a respect for the good players and a lot of the good players sort of "gave back" to people who weren't in those giant guilds.

But now the sense of community is just gone lol. Dead. It's why being on a low pop server sucks for people so much. Technically, being on a low pop server doesn't hinder you in any way in the current system of things.. but there's a weird feeling there. At least for someone like me who knows what it used to be like.

The stuff about community is so true. I took a break from the end of TBC until maybe a month before ToC came out. It was weird seeing the last vestiges of an active community on my server fade away, when everything was pretty much intact when I left. I kept playing through Wrath and into Cata, but the idea of an active server with its own identity felt dead.

One of my favorite moments in Cata was running 5 mans in Cataclysm at the very start of the expansion, and having someone in my group recognize me from the TBC days, even though we never actually played together back then. Now, everyone *may* know their guildies, and that seems to be about it.

Question that someone who has a DK can answer:

With a 2H BoA from Garrosh, and rest of the gear crap (Timeless Isle/Greens). What spec would be best to level 90-100?

I got my DK to 90 with Blood but I don't like tanking. No idea what I am doing

2H Frost or Unholy should both be fine. Though 2H Frost may or may not be viable as a raid spec at 100, it's probably the best leveling spec since it has the most pure burst. Unholy should be alright too, just a little slower since it relies on disease DoT damage more which doesn't make for the most efficient slaughtering of all the basic mobs you get while leveling.

Personally I might level as Unholy anyway since I need to practice the spec because the last time I checked it was fairly ahead of both Frost specs on sims. Even if it's not simming ahead all the time, I need to learn it for encounters where it'll be preferable.

Otherwise I can do DW or 2H Frost if I feel like switching - have the heirlooms for all of it.

iirate

I mean, off the top of my head, something in vanilla that sucked was inventory management in general. Here's something newbies might not know about - reagents and mats for spells. Or a mage having to make each individual food/water and trade it manually to a player (and the player had to make sure they left space open for it when raiding..not to mention all the pots). They've done a great job of expanding bags and banks and lessening mat requirements in general, but you can see people still feel that there isn't enough space lol.

My favorite example of spell/item management was Healthstones back in vanilla/TBC, abusing the Imroved Healthstone talent to make sure everyone in raid had 3 Healthstones. Also, I think it was through BT that raids could have a shaman sitting outside to give everyone earth shield. Then of course, Ravager(from the 40-something Scarlet Armory) did OP aoe at 70, so all of your warriors would switch to that for trash. Blessing micro, mechano-chickens, LW drum rotations, sets of gear for the pre-pull...

I know that may sound dumb and tedious and exactly what Blizzard doesn't want WoW to be now, but it was really rewarding to go out of the way to have a leg up on content.

Number45

Despite playing on and off since launch, and levelling various characters to max per expansion (I think BC was the only one I didn't max during the actual expansion) I've never even been into AV. Or any BG. Or arena.

Looking forward to stepping out of my safety zone when I finish the Silverpine quests on my new PvP realm. D:

I'm an expert

My favorite example of spell/item management was Healthstones back in vanilla/TBC, abusing the Imroved Healthstone talent to make sure everyone in raid had 3 Healthstones. Also, I think it was through BT that raids could have a shaman sitting outside to give everyone earth shield. Then of course, Ravager(from the 40-something Scarlet Armory) did OP aoe at 70, so all of your warriors would switch to that for trash. Blessing micro, mechano-chickens, LW drum rotations...

I know that may sound dumb and tedious and exactly what Blizzard doesn't want WoW to be now, but it was really rewarding to go out of the way to have a leg up on content.

EDIT: I used to keep a set of 70 green items "of Spellpower" on me for the pre-pull earth shield.

Pallies in the back of the raid staying out of combat to battle rez. Having to wand for mana. Having to manage mana in general. Don't think I've given a fuck about my mana bar since wotlk.

Ah yes. Wanding.

I remember having to do that in Ghostlands on a baby priest that I must've never gotten past 20 or so. I can't even imagine the horror of leveling one all the way to cap still having to wand. Bad enough as is to 90 during MoP.

I'm an expert

We're talkin wandin with blessing of wisdom though. And pallies needing an addon to bless by class, individually of course, there were no raid cross party blessings. Just another reason sham was better. And frostshock.

iirate

Pallies in the back of the raid staying out of combat to battle rez. Having to wand for mana. Having to manage mana in general. Don't think I've given a fuck about my mana bar since wotlk.

We never did the pally thing, but I was strictly horde during vanilla, and if that was still a thing in TBC, we missed it. Mana management was one of my favorite things that is gone now. I remember there was a shaman idol that when equipped, reduced the casting cost of Lightning Bolt by a small amount(12 mana I think?). That was enough to make rank 1 Lightning Bolt free though, so us resto shamans got to wand for mana sans wands.

On that note, I miss Telluric Currents(Cata version, at least) so much. I really wish Blizzard would go to an active regen model for all healers...

Did anyone have any of the original PvP ranks? I think I got master sergeant on my very first character

Fuck that high warlord rank though

iirate

Did anyone have any of the original PvP ranks? I think I got master sergeant on my very first character

I earned some fairly low rank, just never PvP'd seriously during vanilla.

I had a friend that did the High Warlord grind, though. I remember going out for lunch with some friends and inviting him along. We knew he was in the thick of the grind, so he wasn't exactly leaving the house much, but we asked anyways. He actually said he'd come, but he couldn't stick around for long.

Later on, we're all sitting at the restaurant, and he walks in with a Subway sandwich in hand. He chats with us for a couple of minutes, then went back home to continue the grind.

Robin64

I'm really hoping that Ashran brings back some of those early AV days feelings.

Being an actual real location you have to go to, like how AV used to be (even though it was instanced) will help a lot, I think. Hopefully it's compelling enough to get people who exclusively PvE to give it a go and maybe like it (like how AV was!).

I'm an expert

My mage is rank 13 and still uses that title but once they introduced the titles again for arena it was like meh. Not a lot of people use them though so its still decent. I never went for 14 cause my raid weapons were better anyway, was just about the gear.

Hixx

On my Paladin I got to Sergeant Major. I still use the title as it is cool as fuck.

I never play that character anymore though. Faction and server transfer would be like £35...

Even in Wrath there was the addon Pally Power to keep the 3 or 4 different blessings straight since each paladin could only buff one at a time without overwriting themselves. By then the buffs were by class though, rather than individually. Still not raid-wide, so you'd have lots of bitching as priests needed this, rogues needed that, etc.

48 rings, 49 rings, 49 rings.

I swear someone is following me on Darkmoon just to sabotage my attempts. I'm done with this until they patch it.

I'm an expert

We never did the pally thing, but I was strictly horde during vanilla, and if that was still a thing in TBC, we missed it. Mana management was one of my favorite things that is gone now. I remember there was a shaman idol that when equipped, reduced the casting cost of Lightning Bolt by a small amount(12 mana I think?). That was enough to make rank 1 Lightning Bolt free though, so us resto shamans got to wand for mana sans wands.

On that note, I miss Telluric Currents(Cata version, at least) so much. I really wish Blizzard would go to an active regen model for all healers...

I had that idol. /tear

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

I think Blood/Stone guard was the highest I ever bothered to get.

I'm an expert

I miss shit like lock's mount quest/fight. Or hunter's epic bow

damn yo am I the only hardcore pvper in this thread =(

Top Bottom