• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Robin64

Man, the Blood Elf quest for paladins was really disrespectful.

Go and piss on Uther's grave, then burn a church!

StayDead

running around on the roof of the bank where Grommash Hold now is. I remember it being a big deal when a couple other mailboxes got patched in at one point.

I remember idling far too much at that mailbox. I remember the first Hallows End someone used the pirate wand on me and it made me a goblin pirate. I'd never seen it before so stood ontop of the mailbox yelling out sea shanties because I was bored. I got a lot of people to huddle round me at one point :p

Wunder

I logged in to my old paladin and saw I had a bunch of grey Librams, then I accidentally went to a vendor and it automatically sold everything... :(

edit: I should say I logged on to check/activate mounts and stuff and didn't think about buy back until it was too late :<

Loxley

Did anyone have any of the original PvP ranks? I think I got master sergeant on my very first character

Fuck that high warlord rank though

Yep, and I still proudly where mine over my Paladin's head :)

QyRkxAp.jpg

5 min pally blessings

I was reminiscing with a Pally friend of mine (whom I've known in-game for nine years but have never met in real life) about the old days. He said he missed it, but then proceeded remind him of just how crappy is was back then for hybrid classes. Just mention "Decursive" to any player who had to heal back then and their ass-cheeks will clench up immediately. What he actually misses in the community - when everyone and their mom was playing WoW. Forming groups took effort, endlessly spamming the LFG channel begging for a tank or a healer. The pay-off being you ended up getting to know people and the sense of community was great. Over time, we've traded that for the sake of convenience and speed.

I've never had a major problem with the game's direction at any point (aside from the initial knee-jerk rage when the Horde got Paladins *shakes fist*). I've always maintained that if WoW was the exact same game, mechanically, that it was six or seven years ago, it would be lucky to have half of the subscribers it has right now. Modern match-making for PvE content was eventually going to creep its way into WoW - it was just a matter of when.

Yep, and I still proudly where mine over my Paladin's head :)

QyRkxAp.jpg

I was reminiscing with a Pally friend of mine (whom I've known in-game for nine years but have never met in real life) about the old days. He said he missed it, but then proceeded remind him of just how crappy is was back then for hybrid classes. Just mention "Decursive" to any player who had to heal back then and their ass-cheeks will clench up immediately. What he actually misses in the community - when everyone and their mom was playing WoW. Forming groups took effort, endlessly spamming the LFG channel begging for a tank or a healer. The pay-off being you ended up getting to know people and the sense of community was great. Over time, we've traded that for the sake of convenience and speed.

I've never had a major problem with the game's direction at any point (aside from the initial knee-jerk rage when the Horde got Paladins *shakes fist*). I've always maintained that if WoW was the exact same game, mechanically, that it was six or seven years ago, it would be lucky to have half of the subscribers it has right now. Modern match-making for PvE content was eventually going to creep its way into WoW - it was just a matter of when.

Alternatively, spending an hour looking for a group, trekking halfway across the map to summon the lazy plebs who stayed in org, only for the group to disband after we wipe

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Group making and gathering was not that bad in vanilla. Especially compared to shit like ff11.

ZenaxPure

I made it to either Knight-lt. or Knight-cpt. Can't remember exact rank since I don't have that account anymore. After that though I just couldn't keep up because I was in high school and in a hardcore raiding guild. So it was like 7am - 3pm school and then like 6 pm - 11:30ish pm raids 5 or 6 times a week. When summer break rolled around (this is the second full summer of WoW) I just spent all day doing green dragons (which were bugged iirc for a while because I was killing 6 or 7 a day on my server) and reading wowwiki, didn't care too much for pvp then.

Karl Hawk

Banned
@RandyBobandy: I know you're talking about something else but you just reminded me of my terrible experiences in pre-made groups so far. Everytime I do a group for SoO, some people are too lazy to get into the raid instance or quit after a wipe.

It's why I prefer to do Highmaul and Blackrock Foundry with my fellow guildies once they release or join Raid groups instead. I just don't have the patience to lead a bunch of incompetent morons in SoO.

Ironically, most people in legacy Raids groups are friendly. Granted, that's because those Raids are soloable nowadays.

Robin64

Yeah, the game is mechanically so much better now. But one thing we can never get back is the feeling those early days had. It makes me sad in a way, to think we'll never have days like that again.

One of my earliest memories was making my way into Redridge and being able to kill a spider. It was amazing. Firstly, it felt like I'd gone into a high level zone, and secondly, it dropped a GREEN item. I yelled at my friends to come over pronto, we can kill these things for amazing items!

Edit: And speaking of groups, I wish people joining for Ordos or Celestials would do so from on the Isle. Had groups where people were in Townlong or something for the entire fight.

Entropia

No One Remembers
It's incredible that after 10 years, Blizzard can't seem to keep some mechanics the same. Though I guess if they were, the game would get boring and stale!

Entropia

No One Remembers
Edit: And speaking of groups, I wish people joining for Ordos or Celestials would do so from on the Isle. Had groups where people were in Townlong or something for the entire fight.

Agreed. I never queue for those bosses unless I am at the island.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Just ordered a World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor prepurchase card/pack, along with a prepaid game card. Should be here soon. My main will continue to be my arms warrior, but it would be nice to create an alt, though I don't really like Blizzard not telling more about any extra legendary items in Warlords of Draenor apart from the ring. Last year they said there would be two legendary items, one easily obtained (like the cloak) and one more exclusive. It would be dull to create an alt and have that exclusive item, if it actually exists, be class specific and the alt not being in that class pool. Maybe if someone here is going to BlizzCon they can ask someone?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I miss shit like lock's mount quest/fight. Or hunter's epic bow

damn yo am I the only hardcore pvper in this thread =(

I still have the quest items you needed to summon the dreadsteed in Dire Maul on one of my old warlocks. It's too bad you can't get any cool legacy aesthetic thing with them.

StayDead

Unless you were alliance and were making a run for Maraudon. Because dem travel times, man.

I remember in my first ever RFC run someone said it'd be a cool idea to go to deadmines. Oh man it took me about an hour and I kept dying in the waters off of STV. I never did it again as horde.

lazygecko

Here's yet another transmog setup.

Wrathfin mail, with that lovely brawler's harness underneath. Totally worth the money. There's a good variety of red shoulders that fit like Drakesfire Epaulets and Ravager's Mantle but I settled for the single Herod shoulder setup. I like this mog cause it really has that mail look to it, which is often lacking from newer mail gear. The kilt from the heroic Firelands tier also looks great with this mog and I might use that for non-enhancement specs.

I really wish Blizzard would expand the player customization to allow you to hide individual shoulder pieces. The functionality is already in the game, and they've basically taunted us for years by using it on NPCs.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Rösti;137143459 said:
Just ordered a World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor prepurchase card/pack, along with a prepaid game card. Should be here soon. My main will continue to be my arms warrior, but it would be nice to create an alt, though I don't really like Blizzard not telling more about any extra legendary items in Warlords of Draenor apart from the ring. Last year they said there would be two legendary items, one easily obtained (like the cloak) and one more exclusive. It would be dull to create an alt and have that exclusive item, if it actually exists, be class specific and the alt not being in that class pool. Maybe if someone here is going to BlizzCon they can ask someone?

Someone will probably ask this at the open Q&A

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Dire Maul best instance hands down. Not having a rogue or the freeze trap mats...gahhhhh

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
On the topic of epics, I do think items should be blue for a lot longer. By which I mean, the stuff from Heroic dungeons and LFR could be blue, with the exact same stats they will have.

I was a very casual player in vanilla and one of the most awesome things was when the questline came along to upgrade Dungeon Set 1 to Dungeon Set 2. Some of the things became epic in quality and it felt fantastic, especially because what you had to do for them was a challenging little line for casual players.

Now my entire gear will be purpz without even trying.

Just to add to this, even though it's an unpopular opinion is that I still miss the lengthier leveling. Zones felt more satisfying to explore and progress through given how threatening certain sections can come across. There was an allure to noticing just how close you were to reaching a new level, and the ensuing satisfaction of the slight power gain for handily conquering more challenging quests.

Now you barely even pay any mind to your level until you hit the cap. No real need, especially given that you outpace the content immeasurably, to the point that you either abandon zones partially through questlines in order to avoid wrestling through chains of lower-level quests(crit path to endgame) or stick around for lore and fruitless rewards. Granted, with a decade of content and 100 levels, you can't go back. But the act of leveling is no longer an 'event' as it once was.

Endgame raiders always despise this argument though but I always dug the zone exploration and crazy world goofiness (especially the PVP 'surprise!' insanity of vanilla) far moreso than the endgame trinket/token/drop grind. Those days are long gone, but the questing quality at least is far improved, FAR improved nowadays.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Someone will probably ask this at the open Q&A

And I doubt they will have a definitive answer. What I expect is that they do not have one planned for the current release/2-raid tier xpac slate, but as they realize their highly optimistic xpac turnaround is unlikely and need to plan more content for Draenor, they will add it in the third raid tier.

Thing is - will it be a weapon, or some other slot like the cloak/ring?

Would definitely like to get whatever it is if possible, but there's a lot that goes into the selection of who gets legendaries like that.

I'm an expert

They really fucked up with ashbringer

I'll take a leg shield though

ZenaxPure

And I doubt they will have a definitive answer. What I expect is that they do not have one planned for the current release/2-raid tier xpac slate, but as they realize their highly optimistic xpac turnaround is unlikely and need to plan more content for Draenor, they will add it in the third raid tier.

Man, haven't been following WoW so I didn't realize that was a thing (had to look it up). That is crazy. I still prefer the 4 tier per expansion approach but I've come to terms with the 3 tier approach. 2 tiers would be crazy. Even if they managed to get the next expansion out in a reasonable amount of time I personally would find it to be a bummer. 2 tiers doesn't really give a largely noticeable character power increase. One of my favorite parts about expansions is seeing how ridiculously strong we get by the end of it, feels like we'd lose that (especially if the expansion was only like a year long).

Damn sub number chasing.

Robin64

I swear, if they promise that this time they will give a quicker turnaround for expansions, I'll flip tables.

Just spread the early patches out more so we're not left with over a year of fucking Siege of Orgrimmar again. Ugh.

I'm an expert

I feel like wod doesn't have enough. I wish blizzard would just drop the bomb on the content drop.

I think people are underestimating wod a bit, but I def agree we need one more big surprise to make it a knockout. Getting to do Nagrand again is not enough.

Robin64

I wasn't aware people didn't think WoD has enough stuff. Isn't it just the same as most expansion launches, really?

I'm an expert

I swear, if they promise that this time they will give a quicker turnaround for expansions, I'll flip tables.

Just spread the early patches out more so we're not left with over a year of fucking Siege of Orgrimmar again. Ugh.

been like this for a long time..technically its better than ICC but everything will always be better than how long ICC was lol

vocab

Pretty much. We could of had a trial of garrosh hellscream raid to setup the entire expansion but they fucked that up by making it a comic or book. Whatever. Sieging org for a year was just tiring. At least put the city in ruin with a never forget the one year siege monument as a reminder tiers like this suck.

Well, most of the new content is heavily tied into the garrisons. So if you're not into that for whatever reason, it could feel a bit content-starved.

That and the whole two raid tier thing (which seems CRAZYYYY if it were to pan out that way).

Yearly expansions might get to be too much. Especially if they continue to have a $50 price tag. I know the extra $10 is supposed to be mostly for the boost, but still.

18 or 24 months with proper pacing would be much better IMO.

Anoregon

Well, most of the new content is heavily tied into the garrisons. So if you're not into that for whatever reason, it could feel a bit content-starved.

That and the whole two raid tier thing (which seems CRAZYYYY if it were to pan out that way).

Yearly expansions might get to be too much. Especially if they continue to have a $50 price tag. I know the extra $10 is supposed to be mostly for the boost, but still.

Agreed. 1+ year final tier raids fucking suck, but there is obviously a reasonable middle ground between that and $50 xpacs that get cranked out once a year with a pair of 6 month raid tiers. Three 6-month raid tiers, with non-raid patches in between for an 18 month xpac sounds about right.

Robin64

I'd like to see more patches that aren't just "A raid plus an outdoor bit related to the raid for non-raiders to do".

Edit: Shit, man, not even any new dungeons in MoP. Cata's final patch gave us Well of Eternity, End Time and Hour of Twilight. WotLK's final patch gave us Forge of Souls, Pit of Saron and Halls of Reflection.

I'm an expert

The blasted lands quests and ubrs just genuinely sucked.

mileS

Did anyone have any of the original PvP ranks? I think I got master sergeant on my very first character

Fuck that high warlord rank though
Stopped at General on my warrior. Mostly because I could no longer keep up my pace due to RL stuff coming up. Other reason I stopped is my name is Mills. Can't beat having the name 'General Mills' :)

Not that bad because you get the warlord/high warlord gear from General, only thing you were missing at that point are the weapons. I had the untamed blade. 300 str proc back in vanilla was amazing. Still have wonderful memories of one shooting mages when that proc'ed :) strangely enough you can get all the replica gear and weapons if your vanilla title was one or two under general (sorry I'm blanking on the name)

ZenaxPure

I wasn't aware people didn't think WoD has enough stuff. Isn't it just the same as most expansion launches, really?

I've been curious about this. Just from reading the internet over the past week to me it looks like they are stripping out most of the usual stuff and putting it into garrisons in some fashion. I guess it will be alright if garrisons offer a good time sink aspect, but, I'm kind of scratching my head about what I will be doing in WoD outside of garrisons and raiding (and brawler's guild again, but, that's sort of a one and done thing).

Me too. But they've only seemed to be able to accomplish this in vanilla for some reason. TBC had really poor pacing with the content release and then the other expansions had the dreaded year long final raid tier. I still think vanilla hasn't been topped in that regard. Feels like just a pipe dream at this point.

lazygecko

Fucking hnnnnnnngh

349 leatherworking, 1 point before I can get the WotLK recipes. I've been buying just enough knothide leather (to turn into heavy knothide) for 2 skillups to make sure I don't spend more than necessary. I only have yellow recipes that are viable. But it just simply refuses to give me that one point I need. It stings more and more each time I have to wander between the LW trainer and the auction house to buy those expensive mats.

Must have spent 500 gold trying to get that one point now. Fucking ridiculous.

Interfectum

IL6YGRY.png

I agree with this. Jaina and Uther fucked up, not Arthas. They should not have abandoned him and left him to do something on his own that they KNEW needed to be done. Fucking Jaina pisses me off.

Dresden

I remember when I cared somewhat about the WC storyline. That kinda died with the Lich King, though - hard to survive the conclusion of a multigame story arc, and the two following xpacs really didn't help.

Interfectum

I remember when I cared somewhat about the WC storyline. That kinda died with the Lich King, though - hard to survive the conclusion of a multigame story arc, and the two following xpacs really didn't help.

Yeah my interest in WoW lore died with the Lich King. I remember when I first started playing WoW how I couldn't wait to find how where Arthas was and what he was up to. My hype for the WC universe was at it's peak both after The Frozen Throne ending and the beginning of the WotLK expansion.

I wasn't a fan of how the WotLK story arc pretty much emasculated the Lich King at every turn. By the end he felt more like a bumbling two dimensional villain than anything else.

vocab

Which reminds me!

After the second boss in ubrs, there's like a narrow corridor with a ton of mobs inside. How are you supposed to pull them? I tried last night and kept pulling 10+ mobs. YouTube didn't help either :(

Use line of sight and pull a pack at a time down the stairs. Getting an ogre isn't the end of the world.

I'd like to see more patches that aren't just "A raid plus an outdoor bit related to the raid for non-raiders to do".

Edit: Shit, man, not even any new dungeons in MoP. Cata's final patch gave us Well of Eternity, End Time and Hour of Twilight. WotLK's final patch gave us Forge of Souls, Pit of Saron and Halls of Reflection.

But scenarios!
They sucked after doing them once

I actually like the dungeons that get added to a tier. ToT could of had some good ones.

I'm an expert

Which reminds me!

After the second boss in ubrs, there's like a narrow corridor with a ton of mobs inside. How are you supposed to pull them? I tried last night and kept pulling 10+ mobs. YouTube didn't help either :(

every ubrs group I've done we joke about how we can tell an old school and new player apart by what door they go to on the second floor..

Number45

I meant to ask this last night: I dinged a level (I think it might have been 18) on my spriest - I got the message telling me I'd learned Holy Word: Serenity... but I can't find it. Anywhere. Doesn't seem to be in any of the tabs in the spellbook. Known bug or am I missing something?

EDIT: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/12439825226

Just misleading that I see the text as shadow when I can't do anything with the spell.

They told some cool stories afterwards but it was kind of spread out. The rise of Wrathion from the Badlands quest to the Rogue legendary questline housecleaning was outstanding. Taran Zhu's arc in pandaria was cool to watch. The fate of the Zandalari in Pandaria was unexpectedly tragic. The search for the hidden master and the defense of Stonehearth is one of my favorite lines in Mists. The corruption, liberation and fall of the Klaxxi was really well done.

There's nothing quite like Arthas. They aren't going to build up another big bad like that, ever again.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Use line of sight and pull a pack at a time down the stairs. Getting an ogre isn't the end of the world.

But scenarios!
They sucked after doing them once

I actually like the dungeons that get added to a tier. ToT could of had some good ones.

I'm glad Blizzard realized scenarios are shit for content but are going to use them for solo-story telling content.

Top Bottom