• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Robin64

Baby Winston is one of the best pets.

winstonPet.jpg

StMeph

Pretty happy with the DK notes for Blood and Unholy, so I'm looking forward to re-raising ghoulbro, now with mr skeltal.

And item transmog being account wide means I'm putting Dreadnaught on everything.

Limiting Factor

Neo Member
How long does an expansion typically stay at full price? I know there have been sales in the past but I was kind of surprised to see it still at $50, and recently bundled with Legion for $80.

How long does an expansion typically stay at full price? I know there have been sales in the past but I was kind of surprised to see it still at $50, and recently bundled with Legion for $80.

Supposedly it's gonna go for like $13 on Black Friday at Gamestop. But generally expansions stay at full price outside of sales for the duration of their stay.

Mastery has been such a bust of a stat. At least try to dress it up a little rather than just making it "You do X% more damage/healing".

I kind of like Mastery because it could be tailored per spec, although admittedly pure DPS specs seemed to get the worse of it. Was a nice compromise for hybrids who couldn't be asked to carry multiple sets of gear whenever they switched and prevented a good deal of equipment bloat.

Versatility on the other hand is basically a shitty version of that attribute.

I kind of like Mastery because it could be tailored per spec, although admittedly pure DPS specs seemed to get the worse of it. Was a nice compromise for hybrids who couldn't be asked to carry multiple sets of gear whenever they switched and prevented a good deal of equipment bloat.

Versatility on the other hand is basically a shitty version of that attribute.

My problem is more with the way it's implemented than it existing at all. Some masteries are interesting and creative, but when you see a bunch of "Do X% more damage" masteries it's hard to see it as filling an important role as opposed to just scaling things up.

Also,

Additionally, to provide a glimpse at how some talents may build upon this, here’s one example of an Enhancement-specific talent:

Sundering
60 Maelstrom, Instant, 20 sec cooldown
Shatter a line of earth before you, causing strong Physical damage and knocking enemies to the side.

More HOTS ability sharing.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Happy to see Ele are remaining the multistrike kings even with the removal of multistrike as an overall game mechanic. Ele Overload was always a great mastery.

Enhance changes sound good, really like the idea of their mastery increasing windfury proc rate. That seems like such a nobrainer in hindsight.

ZenaxPure

I like the Elemental changes. Fun times with no shock cooldowns and instead spent with Maelstrom

Yeah I am digging the ele changes. Seems like the gameplay will still be fairly similar (which is good as I like current ele) but getting rid of cooldowns (which is also good for me as I don't really like cooldown as a mechanic typically). Also bringing back that wonderful mastery, I missed it so much.

My problem is more with the way it's implemented than it existing at all. Some masteries are interesting and creative, but when you see a bunch of "Do X% more damage" masteries it's hard to see it as filling an important role as opposed to just scaling things up.

Honestly I don't mind it that much as long as it fits thematically. I main assassination and I was always totally okay with our mastery just being increased poison damage. I'm a rogue all about poisoning things to death so it makes sense I should have a stat that makes my poison damage scale higher than my physical damage. Same with stuff like Fury (increased damage while enraged), BM (more pet damage), and a few others. Those make sense to me.

The only masteries I've never liked much are the ones that just buff the damage of specific skills by name. Like the current shadow priest one, increased mind flay, spike, and blast damage. Just seems random, here is some shadow skills that do increased damage, but not these other shadow skills.

Which is weird because they're replacing it with a nature damage searing totem talent. I hope the alternative to that talent is viable. Really my only problem with searing totem is that it took up a gcd. I hate things like that that interrupt casting.

Changes look good, I think I dig the elemental mastery change the most. I might end up playing elemental after all. Kind of iffy on the enhancement changes, it's going toward more about being a warrior with some enhancements instead of being a shaman using melee weapons. I liked casting lightning bolt and chain lightning. I wish they could put windfury totem back in as a raid dps cooldown or something.

A lot of these changes seem hard to take in consideration without the talents. I hope beta arrives with all the talents in for all the classes, even though most likely a good amount of them will change significantly before release.

Magnus

BlizzCon gear arrived, including my gorgeous 2015 art! I'll snap a photo when it's up.
In the meantime, kitty obtained legendary loot:

12193861_10103767522257272_3041207025285009372_n.jpg

I like that I'll no longer need the Totemic Projection or Persistence talents. Or that Elementals are no longer tied to totems. Projection is pretty core to how I play Ele Shaman, because I'm not going to wade into the middle of a melee scrum to drop a few useful totems by my teammates or the enemies they're fighting. I like that I'll be able to target individual totems to where I want them to be rather than just placing a uniform array every time.

Since Elemental no longer has mana as a resource, I take it that means an end to Ele Shaman off-heals? Do they lose Healing Surge and Rain? Do they still have the Healing Stream Totem?

Entropia

No One Remembers
I like that I'll no longer need the Totemic Projection or Persistence talents. Or that Elementals are no longer tied to totems. Projection is pretty core to how I play Ele Shaman, because I'm not going to wade into the middle of a melee scrum to drop a few useful totems by my teammates or the enemies they're fighting. I like that I'll be able to target individual totems to where I want them to be rather than just placing a uniform array every time.

Since Elemental no longer has mana as a resource, I take it that means an end to Ele Shaman off-heals? Do they lose Healing Surge and Rain? Do they still have the Healing Stream Totem?

One of them tweeted tha the healing spells will use Maelstrom power.

And after reading some of the hivemind reactions... they didn't really change jack shit for Elemental. Nothing screamed new, exciting and unique. Looks like same shit, different pile. :/

ZenaxPure

And after reading some of the hivemind reactions... they didn't really change jack shit for Elemental. Nothing screamed new, exciting and unique. Looks like same shit, different pile. :/

Yeah that's honestly what made me happy about it >_> I am a big fan of how ele plays right now. Glad to see it is going to be more or less the same.

I'd say Totemic Projection and Persistence being baked down from talents to simply being in individual totems are welcome changes. The off-heals still being a thing makes me happy, since I like being able to help out the healer in a pinch.

erawsd

I really hope they have some amazing new talents and artifact traits planned because that Shaman preview really disappointing. Ele/Resto gameplay has barely changed and they may as well rename Enh to Totem Warrior since its core is nearly identical to Fury now.

Its nice that they are finally delinking totems though.

cdyhybrid

I really hope they have some amazing new talents and artifact traits planned because that Shaman preview really disappointing. Ele/Resto gameplay has barely changed and they may as well rename Enh to Totem Warrior since its core is nearly identical to Fury now.

Its nice that they are finally delinking totems though.

They've redone most of the talents.

Yeah that's honestly what made me happy about it >_> I am a big fan of how ele plays right now. Glad to see it is going to be more or less the same.

It seems to be a lot of changes are geared toward being small utility changes, but still really help elemental. I didn't think there was anything wrong with core rotation. I like that lava burst is no longer guaranteed to be a crit and that makes crit more valuable as a stat and could help elemental's potential burst.

Have to wait to see talents before you can really comment on a rotation. There could easily be 1-2 other talents that become part of the rotation. The maelstrom totem already has a fairly short CD at 30 seconds.

Daniel R

Ughh, elemental shammy rotation always feels so clunky to me with Lava Burst requiring Flame Shock on target to always crit. I had hoped they could have mixed the rotation up a bit to remove that.

Edit: Oh, it no longer auto-crits? Well, no need to pull with Flame shock anymore then.

I always found ele shammy doing weak damage with not a lot of buttons to press or as many procs as a frost mage (which is my main).

aw350

Banned
Regarding shamans, I also like totem changes a lot, they were way overdue. Elementals not bound to sticks especially, that always felt bad (and was bad). Plus, of course, aiming when placing a capacitor.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Spent about 60k to get my rep up buying medallions to get access to flying in Draenor.

If I've learned anything from my time making gold in WoW, it's that flying will IMMEDIATLEY make it back. And I want to use my Mim Head

lazygecko

I don't know if I like the maelstrom system for shamans. In a way, it just feels like further homogenization in that it's based on building resources and then spending them on attacks that require resources. I did not like the holy power revamp for paladins as it just made them further feel like warriors with a de-facto rage mechanic and I feel it's the same here.

aw350

Banned
I don't know if I like the maelstrom system for shamans. In a way, it just feels like further homogenization in that it's based on building resources and then spending them on attacks that require resources. I did not like the holy power revamp for paladins as it just made them further feel like warriors with a de-facto rage mechanic and I feel it's the same here.

I don't think it matters either way. It's the same thing, if it is mana, you get lots of it for free, and if it is not mana, you get lots of it for free (in the same way) as well.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Ughh, elemental shammy rotation always feels so clunky to me with Lava Burst requiring Flame Shock on target to always crit. I had hoped they could have mixed the rotation up a bit to remove that.

Edit: Oh, it no longer auto-crits? Well, no need to pull with Flame shock anymore then.

I always found ele shammy doing weak damage with not a lot of buttons to press or as many procs as a frost mage (which is my main).

Flame shock being up makes Lava Burst do 50% more damage though, so you still want it up at all times. And honestly, keeping a single DoT up on a target really isn't a big deal.

Tenebrous

in 30 minutes

Hell yeah! Hoping for...

"We'd also like to thank everyone for their feedback regarding Warrior's choice of artifacts in Legion. With that in mind, we'd like to unveil our new choice for Arms Warriors - Axe of Cenarius."

That would do me. Failing that, just get rid of fucking whirlwind, please.

Damn, might be sold on Arms. Looks like we're moving away from execute centric damage and more into Colossus Smash doing absolutely massive damage. Good to see Slam is back, pleased to see rend and WW are gone.

Fury got more change than I thought it would. Looks like they're ditching wildstrike, rampage sounds cool, sounds like it's meant to cover those unlucky strings of enrage being down. Wonder if the 30% damage taken is meant to be a typo, that sounds huge and could really hurt survivability in both pvp and pve.

Curious to see the talents though, seems like they've been actively listening to fan feedback about wanting overpowered back.

Think I'll be rolling arms warrior first this expansion.

edit: Wow Prot's ignore pain sounds like it will be massively helpful in comparison to what other tanks have gotten so far.

Shahadan

Not naming the second ability "shield something" is already an improvement. shield block and shield barrier is confusing at first.

Lava Burst
40 yd range, 2 sec cast, 8 sec cooldown
Hurl molten lava at the target, dealing strong Fire damage. If your Flame Shock is on the target, Lava Burst will deal 50% additional damage. Generates 15 Maelstom.

Ugh.

Earth Shock
10 to 100 Maelstrom, 45 yd range, Instant
Instantly shocks the target with concussive force, causing massive Nature damage, based on Maelstrom spent.

/barf

Earth shock is literally the most boring ability you could think off to put massive damage behind, at least before we could think oh it's actually lightning shield charges and earth shock is just proccing it w/e.

And lava burst has been utterly neutered, lava burst that doesn't hit like a truck and auto crit is not lavaburst. It should be eles hardest hitting ability bar none.

Spec is dead to me now.

Windfury
Passive
Each of your main-hand attacks has a 7% chance of triggering three extra attacks, dealing minor Physical damage.

Meh.

They're turning enhance into a shitty warrior, I don't like it, using abilities to generate and spend rage ohimsorry i mean maelstrom.

I loved enhance being a mix of ranged and melee damage. Seemed like the perfect mix of spells and physical attacks that other hybrids didn't even come close to reaching. No other mmo I've played had a class with a fantasy as enjoyable for me.

They're ruining my favorite spec and my favorite class in the game.

I knew we were going down this slope when they removed chain heal from enhance and added fulmination for ele.

Bleh, all my hype for this expansion is gone.

Anoregon

I would agree that keeping Earth Shock as the big nuke isn't terribly inspired, but none of the other stuff really bothers me. Lava Burst will still hit harder than lightning bolt, and I'm honestly not a huge fan of auto-crit mechanics due to how they make crit as a stat feel less important, even with "crit increases damage" mechanics.

I'm totally fine with enhance getting a rework, I probably have a pretty opposite opinion of its state over the past few years than you do. I feel like it's the spec that had the biggest gap between actual playstyle and spec theme/identity, and mechanically it just hasn't been a very compelling spec in a really long time. Stuff like building maelstrom stacks to shoot off an instant lightning bolt just never felt cool to me and seemed shoehorned into the spec. Focusing more on actual melee abilities and having an real resource to work with instead of cooldown juggling is a good thing.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It's the 11th. Where the hell is my Druid Legion crap

Top Bottom