• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

ZenaxPure

Rogue changes look pretty cool, but I wonder if they are enough to get them away from the "poor mans demon hunter" trope that is going to be inevitable when the new kids come to town.

Never really understood that mentality. Assassination/Sub never looked like Demon Hunter at all because of daggers and the theme of each spec. Combat I can kinda see it I guess because its about hitting things with swords but that is obviously being changed now to mix in pistols which I am pretty sure Demon Hunters won't have.

Jag

Never really understood that mentality. Assassination/Sub never looked like Demon Hunter at all because of daggers and the theme of each spec. Combat I can kinda see it I guess because its about hitting things with swords but that is obviously being changed now to mix in pistols which I am pretty sure Demon Hunters won't have.

Doesn't look like Rogues are getting pistols. They are getting a single ability called Pistol Shot, which mimics having a pistol.

Subtlety looks like the weaker of the three. Doesn't have the DOTs of Ass or punch of Outlaw. I think Subtlety should be the soloing spec with less burst damage, but more survivability. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

I always say I'm going to play a new class each expansion, but I can't put down my Hunter that I made on release day.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
It's not so much that they are thematically similar, just that DH looks to be flashier, cooler, and much more iconic in the Warcraft universe while occupying the same general niche. I also don't think it is that far of a stretch to say that a good amount of current rogue players would never have been rogue players if DH was available when they started playing the game.

Pistol Shot looks stupid, but I guess it's better than Revealing Strike?

That 50% movement reduction is going to get nerfed just like Deadly Throw did.

They are almost certainly going to change the interaction between Saber Slash and Pistol Shot to be more like Sudden Death for Warrior, unless they're going to remove the insane energy regen that Combat Rogues used to have.

I don't think I like moving every poison to Assassination only. Past expansions gave us interesting choices on which poisons to use. WoD kind of flattened all that out to 'which utility poison do you want' but it was still a choice. Do I want passive regen? Am I pvping and want snares/mortal strike instead? Now it's just 'roll Assassination.'

We'll see how it pans out during beta. Part of the eternal problem with rogues is how weak they feel before you start slapping on epics, due to not reaching adequate thresholds of combo point/energy generation to maintain an optimal (read: fun to play) combat cycle.

Entropia

No One Remembers
So all the class previews are done.

What's everyone thoughts? Who is looking the best? Who is looking the worst? Who got the shaft?

I have to say, I am pretty disappointed with the Shaman. May have been the nail in the coffin for me and the class.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I think DK, Warlock, and Hunter are all looking pretty good. I'm also pretty interested in seeing how Shadow and both shaman DPS specs end up playing. Despite a lot of folks initial misgivings I think Enhance might end up being alot of fun.

Tenebrous

What's everyone thoughts? Who is looking the best? Who is looking the worst? Who got the shaft?

Warrior DPS specs look pretty poor. No news on Glad stance, Arms looks to be unchanged except now we have Slam as a filler instead of WW, and Fury's 30% extra damage taken just seems ridiculous and unworkable.

Anoregon

Warrior DPS specs look pretty poor. No news on Glad stance, Arms looks to be unchanged except now we have Slam as a filler instead of WW, and Fury's 30% extra damage taken just seems ridiculous and unworkable.

Oh, there's news. It's dead come 7.0.

StMeph

New with WoD, level 100 talent. Top 3 DPS.

Nerfed within a week of Highmaul, never heard from since.

Dead in Legion.

GG

cdyhybrid

I have to say, I am pretty disappointed with the Shaman. May have been the nail in the coffin for me and the class.

Best blog was DK, IMO.

Worst was DH.

ampere

All the tanks are looking pretty good so far. A lot will depend on talents and further tuning.

Brewmaster self healing is too low in my opinion, and Gift of the Ox should be scrapped and replaced with Expel Harm.

And it seems I was wrong about Resolve sticking around with a different name and window. Only DKs and Bears have the "window" as of now. Paladins and Monks have a % based heal and Warriors are sticking to absorbs.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I don't understand how Hemo rogues don't have bleeds now, but whatever.

I am glad Demon Hunters are coming out with Legion. I feel like everyone would hop back onto warlock for FOTM if they weren't coming. Demo sounds cool, but I really want some new demons besides "Taller Felhunter".

Anoregon

I don't understand how Hemo rogues don't have bleeds now, but whatever.

I am glad Demon Hunters are coming out with Legion. I feel like everyone would hop back onto warlock for FOTM if they weren't coming. Demo sounds cool, but I really want some new demons besides "Taller Felhunter".

Well it doesn't sound like hemo exists anymore anyway

iirate

Priest was the most exciting blog for me, but I'm happy with the shaman and monk changes previewed and will likely main one of those next xpac.

ZenaxPure

Well it doesn't sound like hemo exists anymore anyway

I think the direction is better anyway, if I wanted to be an energy combo point based spec that focused on bleeds I'd go with feral. Ninja > poor man's feral druid. Have tried sub in every expansion and have always disliked it, this is the first time it has looked fun to me.

I actively raid on arms/fury, enhance, resto druid

I'm pretty positive on arms. I like getting rid of rend and whirlwind as core, hopefully this gear us more toward single target damage. Having our mastery exclusively center around Colossus Smash gives me the idea that this will be a major component of our damage, unlike how it is now where execute is the majority of our damage. I'm not worried about our spec being "dry" because they've already mentioned 3 possible active skills that could add more depth. I also enjoy that they're removing some execute mechanics from classes because they felt it took away from Warrior's execute and also quickened that sub 20% window. I

Fury is a mixed bag. I like that we're becoming more about frenzy, fast attack speed as a contrast to arms slow, calculated, big hits. I also like rampage covering unlucky crit streaks, making it less of a penalty if enrage falls off. The downside is the damage increase taken has me wary that we'll become a liability because they haven't had positive experiences in the past with Berserker stance.

Enhance isn't so much in line with my expectations. I think it lives up to the name better where it's like a warrior who enhances his weapons with the elements, it's focused less on using elemental magic in favor of using pure melee. I had something more in mind with a caster who's using his magic to help him fight in melee range. Gameplay wise I think it's an improvement as the priority is very intimidating with elemental echos right now. Too often do I feel like I haven't mastered enhancement yet and I'm wasting excessive lava lashes or not using frost shock yet. Some people enjoy that though so I can see their complaints. I also like how it's steering away from having 5+ targets to reach max dps with fire nova and instead we have stormcrash.

Resto druid is fine and didn't need many changes in my eyes. The mastery changes make the class feel much smoother and not so forced to use swiftmend which I felt was a thing even though the raid was topped off. Flourish is really nice and might actually make genesis useful for burst aoe healing, if genesis is still in the game.

Anoregon

I think the direction is better anyway, if I wanted to be an energy combo point based spec that focused on bleeds I'd go with feral. Ninja > poor man's feral druid. Have tried sub in every expansion and have always disliked it, this is the first time it has looked fun to me.

Yeah I think that's a pretty good point. The bleed-heavy rogue build is already fulfilled by feral, so let Subtlety be something new.

BTW, are any of you guys still active in US and in raiding guilds? With 6.2.3 imminent I would really like to be brought to an archimonde kill so I can get that moose mount, but none of my wow buddies are likely to resub prior to 7.0 and I doubt I could find a pug spot due to having been inactive (and thus undergeared) for most of 6.2.

ampere

Yeah I think that's a pretty good point. The bleed-heavy rogue build is already fulfilled by feral, so let Subtlety be something new.

It's also fulfilled by Assassination lol. Rupture for poison procs and now the new version of Garrote as a rotational ability

Anoregon

It's also fulfilled by Assassination lol. Rupture for poison procs and now the new version of Garrote as a rotational ability

Assassination is DoT heavy in general, but feral is specifically designed around bleed damage. I know it's not really a meaningful difference mechanically, but thematically I can see where they are making the distinction. And it certainly makes more sense to have a single DoT build for rogues instead of two that just split their source of DoT between poisons and bleeds.

I was a bit disappointed in seeing feral still molded pretty heavily by rogues. I'd like it if they came up with a more unique playstyle that emphasized using different animal forms to do different types of damage. Feral to me isn't about just cat, it's about the druid shapeshifting to do damage. Not ever have I felt like I'd rather play feral druid over a rogue.

ZenaxPure

This actually has me really excited. Even though assassination has more or less be an evolution each expansion I haven't liked every change. Cata in particular was probably my favorite era because you could open with garrote and get extra energy procs from it on top of rupture, was fun stacking the bleeds and having windows of more energy regen. I was really bummed when they took that out in MoP. New garrote appears to be that on drugs since it seems to have 100% uptime.

I was a bit disappointed in seeing feral still molded pretty heavily by rogues. I'd like it if they came up with a more unique playstyle. Not ever have I felt like I'd rather play feral druid over a rogue.

I actually think feral feels very different but I've also been playing rogue for 11 years so for me any minor difference probably feels bigger than it does for most people. Maintaining finishers feels far more important and less forgiving if you let something drop because you generate combo points a lot slower and you aren't allowed to stockpile them like a rogue.

Anoregon

I was a bit disappointed in seeing feral still molded pretty heavily by rogues. I'd like it if they came up with a more unique playstyle that emphasized using different animal forms to do different types of damage. Feral to me isn't about just cat, it's about the druid shapeshifting to do damage. Not ever have I felt like I'd rather play feral druid over a rogue.

I'm still upset there's no dinomancer quest that replaces cat and bear with raptor and direhorn.

I didn't realize that they were removing Hammer of Wrath.

Wow, that makes me real sad, I haven't really touched my pala since cata, but still, that's just one of those abilities that you just don't fuck with.

Real sad.

ZenaxPure

I'm still upset there's no dinomancer quest that replaces cat and bear with raptor and direhorn.

Dinomancer was one of the hypest things about MoP lol, this would have been so badass.

Also never forget the best spell in the game, Power Word: Dinosaur. BECAUSE IT IS A POWERFUL WORD.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
There is definitely a world of difference between trying to find deathtalon groups at 1pm versus 5pm.

And that sucks for me with my work schedule.

What's everyone thoughts? Who is looking the best? Who is looking the worst? Who got the shaft?.

The changes to Priest were the most interesting. It went from a class I'm not really interested in to one I feel like I need to make an alt in for Legion. It's not just that Shadow sounds all super sexy with its new resource, new tentacle themed shadow form and Old Gods themed abilities but Disc doing more healing through harm sounds pretty neat too.

That said Demonology sounds pretty amazing. I really want to roll a warlock for Legion, but the fact that it's a pure DPS class and my guild is loaded with Warlocks as well as other pure DPS classes makes me leery.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The changes to Priest were the most interesting. It went from a class I'm not really interested in to one I feel like I need to make an alt in for Legion. It's not just that Shadow sounds all super sexy with its new resource, new tentacle themed shadow form and Old Gods themed abilities but Disc doing more healing through harm sounds pretty neat too.

That said Demonology sounds pretty amazing. I really want to roll a warlock for Legion, but the fact that it's a pure DPS class and my guild is loaded with Warlocks as well as other pure DPS classes makes me leery.

Shadow Priests do sound really interesting, my brother who has no interest in Priests sounded a bit interested when I told him about the new mechanics.

I might actually get every class to max level in Legion.

With tri-spec'ing, the artifact system supposedly taking months for just one spec, as well as all of the changes to the profession system, Legion seems less alt-o-holic friendly than WoD.

I say that knowing that some of you have multiple garrisons. One of you has 30.

Shadow Priests do sound really interesting, my brother who has no interest in Priests sounded a bit interested when I told him about the new mechanics.

I want to have a Priest at 100 for Legion in case I don't like the Shaman changes. If a goblin was a Priest it would be something along the lines of a shady televangelist. I mean that's the vibe you get from the goblin Priest NPC in a mission in Azshara where you help cleanse a possessed tractor. Didn't take me long to land on a good name, Creflo Dollar. It already sounds Goblin-ish but I just changed the C to a K.

cdyhybrid

With tri-spec'ing, the artifact system supposedly taking months for just one spec, as well as all of the changes to the profession system, Legion seems less alt-o-holic friendly than WoD.

I say that knowing that some of you have multiple garrisons. One of you has 30.
Meh, artifact quests are at least more interesting than garrisons though.

iirate

I feel like I need to find time to level each class to 100(I have the five healers right now, 2x shaman and 2x monk) during WoD or I'll never do it. It sounds like we'll have more endgame stuff than ever, and I've always been a one-character girl(even if that one character has changed a lot over WoD).

cdyhybrid

I feel like I need to find time to level each class to 100(I have the five healers right now, 2x shaman and 2x monk) during WoD or I'll never do it. It sounds like we'll have more endgame stuff than ever, and I've always been a one-character girl(even if that one character has changed a lot over WoD).
90-100 takes like two hours if you use the 300% exp elixirs correctly.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Now that we're going to the end of WoD, I'd just like to point something out.

The boar animation is still the same as it was at launch. It somehow got into final product and has not been fixed despite being soemthing I could animate in my free time within an hour. It is incredible to me how bad this mount is animated. A mount that is fairly commonplace in this particular expansion.

And I've wanted a boar mount for years

Well, since I'm going for Loremaster with this Goblin Shaman, I will be going to Panda-land for the first time. Eventually. I'll try to farm those Elixir's of Ancient Knowledge while I'm questing there. It would be great to have more than one healer class at 100 for Legion.

I'm playing through Wrath content for the first time right now.

With a full heirloom set, the first 60 levels can just melt in a blur of dungeon queuing. And as a healer, it's like 5 minutes tops queuing for low-level content.

I'd do 1-90 10 times before doing 90-100 again.

There's just something about stepping into frostfire that completely kills any motivation I have to level.

I hate WoD leveling
past the first time

cdyhybrid

The worst part about doing 90-100 the old fashioned way isn't the leveling itself, it's knowing that you have the arduous garrison and legendary grinds still ahead of you. Not to mention farming Tanaan for a week or two to gear up.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Does MM still have that stupid sniper training shit in Legion?

i'm pretty sure yes. it is their mastery, they didnt say theyre changing the mastery. i think its also part of the class fantasy that they dont move that much when shooting, like a sniper

idlewild_

i'm pretty sure yes. it is their mastery, they didnt say theyre changing the mastery. i think its also part of the class fantasy that they dont move that much when shooting, like a sniper

You don't have to stand still to get the mastery buff anymore, so it's not quite the same. The tradeoff is that aimed shot cannot be used while moving anymore, but it's only a 1.5s cast in Legion.

Anoregon

You don't have to stand still to get the mastery buff anymore, so it's not quite the same. The tradeoff is that aimed shot cannot be used while moving anymore, but it's only a 1.5s cast in Legion.

Right, which really makes a lot more sense with the class fantasy anyway. A highly mobile ranged sniper who finds the right time to stand still to line up a powerful, accurate shot.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

I hope they realize how dumb of an idea it is to have a melee spec take 30 percent more damage for pretty much the whole fight. How did that even get impliment into the game? That's a suggestion that should have never even left someone's lips, let alone actually make it into the game.

Anoregon

I hope they realize how dumb of an idea it is to have a melee spec take 30 percent more damage for pretty much the whole fight. How did that even get impliment into the game? That's a suggestion that should have never even left someone's lips, let alone actually make it into the game.

It's the kind of thing that was in the game in like Vanilla and has long since been removed because it's terrible and impossible to balance around.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It's the kind of thing that was in the game in like Vanilla and has long since been removed because it's terrible and impossible to balance around.
Even in Vanilla I don't remember it being that punishing. 5% increase to damage taken for being in Beserker Stance. Another 5% increase to damage taken for Death Wish, which lasted 30 seconds and could be controlled completely.

Top Bottom