• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

ZenaxPure

Most of my friends are still subbed thanks to the easy garrison gold.

We actually still play together as well thanks to the weekly events, usually do some timewalking together and this week I managed to convinced them to do some BGs with me since it so much honor.

Is this...is this sarcasm.....I don't know when it comes to talking about WoWs endgame >_>;

Yeah it's sarcasm, Tanaan is the worst endgame zone they've made pretty much. It has no real identity, lacks the replayability of something like the Timeless Isle since everything is either weekly/daily bound and since it is all just apexis objectives (only 7 of them as well so not a lot of variety) it lacks the atmosphere and story you would get from zones like Isle of Thunder/Molten Front. Also before flying was implemented it was a chore to navigate, the entire middle of the zone is blocked off by the raid so you have to walk around it every time (and the zone is huge).

Rest of the patch was alright, though it took them a few mini-patches to get it that way.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'm kind of surprised there's even a positive response to HFC. I'm trying to keep an open mind to it, but visually it just feels so lifeless. Not really a big fan of its design either. It feels loaded with really boring trash, and the structure of it just feels so archaic compared to BRF. HFC has way fewer standout boss fights, and others just push things to the point of tedium. Hellfire Assault is probably the worst encounter in WoD and it's just like...ahh...this is what you want to lead with?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
It feels loaded with really boring trash, and the structure of it just feels so archaic compared to BRF.

BRF is a mess... i hate its layout. hellfire citadel is way better here.

Hellfire Assault is probably the worst encounter in WoD and it's just like...ahh...this is what you want to lead with?

agreed

Zelias

Banned
Compared to ICC or Siege, I find HFC incredibly underwhelming. On the other hand, it's better than Dragon Soul. That's not really saying much though.

Apathy

I'm kind of surprised there's even a positive response to HFC. I'm trying to keep an open mind to it, but visually it just feels so lifeless. Not really a big fan of its design either. It feels loaded with really boring trash, and the structure of it just feels so archaic compared to BRF. HFC has way fewer standout boss fights, and others just push things to the point of tedium. Hellfire Assault is probably the worst encounter in WoD and it's just like...ahh...this is what you want to lead with?

Well trash is just... Well trash. I don't expect much from it. Saying that, the stuff up to Socrethar is some of the most annoying I've dealt with in a while. Having a limited number of dispellers and a dot that does a fuck load of damage is just a pain.

I'm hard press to say brf was better than hfc only because the good fights in brf like the train or blackhand also were in the backdrop of terrible fights like maidens. Sure assault sucks, but the rest of the bosses on average were better than brf fights. Mythic manno and arch for instance are such great fights compared to mythic blackhand (I'm still mad they didn't add a new phase to this one).

Tenebrous

Assault aside, I disagree. That's actually how I felt about ICC leading off the back of Ulduar (ignoring TotC) which is, for my money, the greatest raid of all time.

Final raids... HFC = BT > ICC > Siege > DS
(Ignoring Sunwell because it's more of a bonus raid in my mind, and Naxx 40 because I never did it).

Apathy

Assault aside, I disagree. That's actually how I felt about ICC leading off the back of Ulduar (ignoring TotC) which is, for my money, the greatest raid of all time.

Final raids... HFC = BT > ICC > Siege > DS
(Ignoring Sunwell because it's more of a bonus raid in my mind, and Naxx 40 because I never did it).

I really wish they went back to an ulduar model of having the hard modes activate inside the instance. They tried it once, made it perfect, and then never tried again.

Tenebrous

I really wish they went back to an ulduar model of having the hard modes activate inside the instance. They tried it once, made it perfect, and then never tried again.

And their reasoning? Because it's confusing... Fuck off, Blizz! Just disable the hardmodes in LFR, and we're good to go.

I'm in total agreement. The dynamic difficulty in Ulduar was absolutely amazing, and countless times more satisfying than selecting a difficulty before entering the raid.

ampere

It's not just being confusing, it's because it doesn't separate the difficulties. Mythic is locked to one realm, Heroic and Normal aren't. Mythic is fixed size, others aren't. Etc

It's also just a gimmick and would absolutely get old

I'm digging HFC, but that's mostly because I'm raiding with a good group of people for the first time in several expansions. Hopefully we can keep the momentum going to get our Moose mount. 6/13 H so far.

Hopefully the Warcraft movie will get more people interested in playing. I'm on Proudmoore, though, so there's always tons of people around, so the game doesn't feel as empty. I also hope we'll see the expansion before September, but... yeah, probably not going to happen.

Apathy

I'm digging HFC, but that's mostly because I'm raiding with a good group of people for the first time in several expansions. Hopefully we can keep the momentum going to get our Moose mount. 6/13 H so far.

Hopefully the Warcraft movie will get more people interested in playing. I'm on Proudmoore, though, so there's always tons of people around, so the game doesn't feel as empty. I also hope we'll see the expansion before September, but... yeah, probably not going to happen.

Alliance side? those dirty dirty alliance.

Alliance side? those dirty dirty alliance.

:p Yeah, but it's pretty funny because nearly everyone in the guild was Horde before all coming back to the game in September. So it's a bit weird for all of us. We're having a lot of fun, though. Raiding once a week and still making a lot of progress is pretty neat.

Apathy

:p Yeah, but it's pretty funny because nearly everyone in the guild was Horde before all coming back to the game in September. So it's a bit weird for all of us. We're having a lot of fun, though. Raiding once a week and still making a lot of progress is pretty neat.

As a gaffer I wish you luck, as a horde player, die you alliance dog :D
:

davepoobond

It's not just being confusing, it's because it doesn't separate the difficulties. Mythic is locked to one realm, Heroic and Normal aren't. Mythic is fixed size, others aren't. Etc

It's also just a gimmick and would absolutely get old

i think implementation is key -- as it is for overall difficulty it should be a switch (as it is now). but maybe one or two bosses where it makes sense, they have that "extra" hard mode that diverts the fight into a different path.

not every fight in Ulduar had a "hard mode" switch, and I don't think they need to have it for every boss

Apathy

i think implementation is key -- as it is for overall difficulty it should be a switch (as it is now). but maybe one or two bosses where it makes sense, they have that "extra" hard mode that diverts the fight into a different path.

not every fight in Ulduar had a "hard mode" switch, and I don't think they need to have it for every boss

"Didn't you see the sign that said, 'DON'T PUSH THIS BUTTON!"?

I mean I liked the way Ulduar did hard modes too, but it was unsustainable to keep coming up with mechanics like that for every raid going forward. Lightning in a bottle.

If anything, going with extra Mythic-only phases or encounters (as they've done) that don't appear in the dungeon journal is probably the best way to go.

davepoobond

"Didn't you see the sign that said, 'DON'T PUSH THIS BUTTON!"?

that was the most self-aware thing about Ulduar. it was pretty funny. the less intuitive/fun stuff is the Vezax hard mode, and i would say probably the Thorim and XT aren't as fun either.

it gets a little cumbersome/prone to trolling when you have 5 different variations of Yogg, 4 variations of Freya, but they are fun still to have progression within a boss fight.

Apathy

that was the most self-aware thing about Ulduar. it was pretty funny. the less intuitive/fun stuff is the Vezax hard mode, and i would say probably the Thorim and XT aren't as fun either.

it gets a little cumbersome/prone to trolling when you have 5 different variations of Yogg, 4 variations of Freya, but they are fun still to have progression within a boss fight.

Sure, that all got messy, but that was more by the nature of the design of the whole place. If they make a new one it does not have to all interact as nuts as ulduar did.

Savitar

Seeing some places selling HFC runs much as they did last expansion, surely some scammers. But is there anything relevant to get for doing it on heroic aside from the moose mount......I mean......a moose, yay?

Apathy

Seeing some places selling HFC runs much as they did last expansion, surely some scammers. But is there anything relevant to get for doing it on heroic aside from the moose mount......I mean......a moose, yay?

Mythic? then there is a mythic mount off arch as well as the moose.

biaxident

Figured I'd get some easy pvp gear on my non-pvp geared druid, only at like 690 ilvl and wow as I wrong, died in 2 secs everytime lol. Just going for the 4 win quest on my pvp geared disc priest, haven't lost yet. PVP is fun but gating it behind gear blows, glad thats going away.

Getting 700 honor per BG win is crazy, I keep capping honor, bought all the honor mounts, now just buying those brutal off hands that sell for 16g, i guess they could use more honor dumps.

Fjordson

Just speaking for myself, but I bought it for the moose mount and for AOTC. Only 30k on my server which is cheap for me and having AOTC makes getting into heroic groups a lot easier.

ZenaxPure

I made nearly 20K Apexis in my first day in Tanaan with my Shaman, is there some steep drop off in the daily and bonus objective rewards?

Nah, you can plow through apexis like crazy. Only gets crazier as you build up your ship yard as well. And if you really want to take it to the next level you could get a mage tower (or whatever the horde version is called). Can max out the work orders in like 10 minutes and it gives a nice amount of apexis per day.

biaxident

It's hilarious how nobody knows what to do in an AV turtle, they're like omg horde back capped 2 towers, gg its over. Was begging for groups to follow me to cap em back, went solo every time, so dumb. Rogues and druids shine (or they should) since they sneak past the turtle but nope lets just defend this bridge till we run out of resources...

Tenebrous

Nah, you can plow through apexis like crazy. Only gets crazier as you build up your ship yard as well. And if you really want to take it to the next level you could get a mage tower (or whatever the horde version is called). Can max out the work orders in like 10 minutes and it gives a nice amount of apexis per day.

Those Mission Completion orders are awesome to boot.

Apathy

the tanan dailies are by far the fastest way to get apexis to get your mount. compared to just doing garrison missions, it's not even close.

I can see how Tanaan could get boring but at this rate I'll have that corrupted raven mount in two weeks or less. And it looks like I can use Apexis to buy up ilvl 650 Baleful gear for my secondary spec.

Tanaan gets a lot more tolerable once you get flying. It's funny how they make you navigate that zone on land for a couple weeks in order to get flying, because it's such a massive pain in the ass to get around using a land mount.

I fell in that fel moat twice trying to get from the harbor to the iron front, and not being able to see the correct path. As far as I can tell there is no way to get back out from that corner of the moat without flying except to hearth and go back into the zone.

I remember when I first leveled in WoD being impressed by how they had designed the zones nicely to be easily navigated on land. Whenever I found a hill or a cliff there was always a nicely laid out path to get over it, or at least it was always visually clear on the map how I could get through a given area. Not the case in Tanaan.

After you get flying it's so easy to just swoop around and get rares and chests, and the blue bar quests go very quickly when you kill a couple rares and take a bunch of flags/burn scrolls/throw bombs/whatever.

As someone who doesn't have flying in Draenor, I'm pretty happy with Tanaan for the most part. The only complaint I have is how you could be working towards something, like a scroll to burn in Kra'nak, only to have someone come out of nowhere and steal it. I wish they had implemented a system like in Guild Wars 2 (and possibly other MMO's) where objects were available to everyone.

ZenaxPure

Tanaan gets a lot more tolerable once you get flying. It's funny how they make you navigate that zone on land for a couple weeks in order to get flying, because it's such a massive pain in the ass to get around using a land mount.

Yeah that's mostly how I felt. I still think it's a poorly designed zone for the most part (mostly because I hate how broken filling the blue bar stuff is as opposed to traditional quests) but flying made me not mind doing that stuff so much. You can blow through it insanely fast and it's still fun to hop from rare spawn to rare spawn and find treasure chests along the way. I've been doing it on my dps alts one by one until they have full baleful stuff and the oil rig pattern and I don't mind it really.

CaqKenbVAAA5MjN.jpg:large

this addon is plain fucking amazing

literally makes leveling 200% more interesting

ZenaxPure

Yeah storyline is pretty much essential for me now when questing, makes the whole experience a million times better.

Also being able to interact with NPCs via hotkeys is incredible, dunno how I went so long without it.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Right OK, usually it takes over an hour to do that bloody Apex Fragments quest but I decided to try my luck at 3am as the dailies reset and I boshed it out in like 15 minutes, rares all over the place and even a box. I will definitely be doing it like this in future, I only need 5 more days for flying now.

Right OK, usually it takes over an hour to do that bloody Apex Fragments quest but I decided to try my luck at 3am as the dailies reset and I boshed it out in like 15 minutes, rares all over the place and even a box. I will definitely be doing it like this in future, I only need 5 more days for flying now.

Best place to get this done usually is Ruins of Kra'nak elite side. Generally lots of fragments around there.

Apathy

well, yeah. not as slow as regular quest text reading, but it also makes it far more pleasing + presentable.

With heairlooms getting to 90 is just so fast that I just never care enough to read or to, in the case I had the addon, watch the quests. I guess if I took it slow. From 90-100 I just use the potions + treasure chest + bonus objectives. I ended up finally trying that with some 90's I had around, took me all of an hour and a half at most even without the upgraded heirlooms to 100.

With heairlooms getting to 90 is just so fast that I just never care enough to read or to, in the case I had the addon, watch the quests. I guess if I took it slow. From 90-100 I just use the potions + treasure chest + bonus objectives. I ended up finally trying that with some 90's I had around, took me all of an hour and a half at most even without the upgraded heirlooms to 100.

seems more like it isn't your kind of thing because you want to level asap :V

Apathy

seems more like it isn't your kind of thing because you want to level asap :V

Yeah, the problem with me and leveling is that St the start of an expansion I have to do it asap for raiding, and because I'm doing it at such a hectic pace, I end up hating it, and then my alts just make it a giant chore

Top Bottom