• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Check Open Raid. I'm not sure how good it is for the EU side, but I was able to find a late night group for an alt pretty easily.

Yeah, I second Open Raid. I've only been using it for a few days, but it's been good to me so far. Hopefully I'll join a heroic group soon, should be getting my AOTC this weekend.

Tacitus_

Oh my. Less than 100 wipes to get to this. Might get a kill in around 200 tries!

jdFB2oS.jpg

Tenebrous

Wonder what those members that want to continue will end up doing? Joining another top guild, no doubt, but which?

Getting spanked by Lappe multiple times in that WoD arena (Highmaul Coliseum, I think it's called?) was a pretty awesome experience, in hindsight.

Godan

So the water strider changes they did in the Alpha is that going to be a change that happens to them when the expansion goes live? Half way into farming the crimson water strider from my garrison.

Babalu.

Thanks for the feedback, and I apologize for alarm caused by a seemingly random change. What you see in our weekly Alpha builds is a snapshot of thinking that is often actively evolving, including experiments that we’re about to discard, or solutions to problems that are overly crude just because it’s our first iteration and we simply haven’t come up with anything better yet.

I’d like to shed some light on our thought process in exploring this change. No, we’re not trying to stamp out fun, or destroy the value of hard-won rewards arbitrarily. The concern that drives this process is that mounts are primarily cosmetic choices, and are one of the most visible ways of showing off an aesthetic you enjoy, or an achievement of which you are proud. But water-walking makes Water Striders mechanically superior to other ground mounts in a way that risks removing a feeling of choice. Even if you want to show off that Invincible that you finally managed to farm up, or your Grove Warden, you may end up feeling foolish for using anything other than the Water Strider in areas where you can’t fly, just because it offers that mechanical advantage.

Our initial change was aimed at letting people feel more free to choose the mount that they felt looked coolest, whether in new content or while leveling alts. But as we’ve clearly heard from your feedback, removing the water-walking functionality from pre-existing content feels like we’re taking away something that you have worked hard to earn, and that cost outweighs any benefit from potentially broadened cosmetic options.

So, in the next Alpha build, we’re restoring the ability of Water Striders to walk on water in all pre-Legion content (Azeroth, Outland, Northrend, etc.). The restriction on the mounts’ water-walking ability will now only apply to the Broken Isles and future content beyond that.

whoopsie dasie

Apathy

So it's going back to not being useable in legion and that's what the fishing rod artifact is for?

Cause that's fine, so I don't have to do the rep grind anymore. The water walking from the rod is fine but it needs 1100 artifact power as of right now. Unless I can get some from fishing, my artifact power is reserved for main weapon and then offspec first and second respectively. I hope the rod gets unique artifact power from actually fishing.

ampere

Oh my. Less than 100 wipes to get to this. Might get a kill in around 200 tries!

I hope they stick to the lore that we killed Archimonde for real because of Mythic being in the nether. Feels weak to never really kill big demons

You guys doing 1 doomfire/lust on pull? Or 2 and lust in the nether

It's just the normal call to arms system, it will show up when one of the roles is underrepresented. Incredibly useful for grinding the mounts, just doing my 5 runs for the quest as a healer it was pretty easy to make about 1000 badges per event, just bought the TBC mount last night on my resto druid and next wrath event I will be able to buy that one on my disc priest.

Ah, thank you for the clarification, I didn't know it was a variable, I thought it was a fixed bonus.

Ehhh, dunno about Arch being "dead." Pretty sure Hyjal Archimonde (that is the original Archimonde killed in WarCraft 3 and not the other two. Goddammit Blizzard) corporeal form is till floating around in the Nether. WoD Arch is probably dead though.

Kil'Jaedan still lives, so he can fill Arch's purpose as a big bad world ender anyway. You never know though, extremely powerful WC beings have a tendency to come back from death. I'm sure C'Thun, Y'shaarj and Yogg-Saron will come back eventually because they exist outside the "cycle" of life and death

cdyhybrid

Ehhh, dunno about Arch being "dead." Pretty sure Hyjal Archimonde (that is the original Archimonde killed in WarCraft 3 and not the other two. Goddammit Blizzard) corporeal form is till floating around in the Nether. WoD Arch is probably dead though.'

Kil'Jaedan still lives, so he can fill Arch's purpose as a big bad world ender anyway.
Blizzard said there is only one Legion, they exist independent of timeline/alternate universe fuckery.

Tacitus_

Once you're getting into the last phase a kill is close, as long as you can avoid early deaths so you can sacrifice tanks a few times.

Yeaah.. working on avoiding those early deaths. People freak out way too much about the lasers and don't respect the torn souls enough.

Apathy

Horde or Alliance? If you're Horde, I'd be happy to come along as your pocket healer when you tank them. Healed 2 so far today and both went well, but usually if I'm running by myself they're wipefests.

Horde NA. I already did mmy quest but will be doing them on and off today and the rest of the weekend if you still need them I don't mind helping you

It's Marvel/DC comics, just because someone dies doesn't mean they'll stay dead. The moment it's convenient to bring someone back from the dead, they will. You can't be too precious about it.

ZenaxPure

It's Marvel/DC comics, just because someone dies doesn't mean they'll stay dead. The moment it's convenient to bring someone back from the dead, they will. You can't be too precious about it.

Yeah, I've always seen the WC universe in that same light really. It's a comic book at its core and I'm cool with that, what I've always liked is the huge cast of characters and factions and how they mingle together. Thankfully looks like Legion will be serve a lot of that with class halls.

ampere

I think he meant that in a broader sense, like they might change that entire concept. Not specifically Archimonde mythic difficulty.

That's possible, but it seemed like he just meant they might retcon the Archimonde death if they wanted to use him again. Either way, I hope the do make major demons killable at times. Feels cheap when an enemy just can't die

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like playing this game again is really bad for me in general, I've never been able to play it in moderation, I always take it to the extreme where I do nothing else with my spare time. One good thing is raiding doesn't give me the same high it used to, I found that out tonight. I'm hoping an upcoming game can break the spell, once I lose interest I tend to do so for years at a time.

My Goblin Shaman has been parked for about a week, maybe a bit more? It was pretty much flat broke because I blew what money the Shaman had on the AH and started leveling other toons and my Gnome Mage's garrison. Now she's sitting at nearly 10K gold, just with doing follower missions twice a day. Wish I had stuck with one toon when I started playing WoW, I'd be a WoW millionaire right now.

I also wish I had stuck with one faction but once the Gnome Mage's garrison is up and running too things should be easier no matter what class or faction I want to play.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Timewalking reminds me; I think the BC dungeons are garbage and always have. Cheap and random, non-strategy encounters unlike Cata's heroics.

Apathy

Timewalking reminds me; I think the BC dungeons are garbage and always have. Cheap and random, non-strategy encounters unlike Cata's heroics.

Just like everything else ever, you gotta judge it by the time it was meant for. Do they suck? Yeah. Are they boring? Yeah. Are they made with cheap deaths in mind? Totally. But they did have some interesting ideas. Black Morass/MT brought some interesting twists on what can be in an instance. Many of them had the idea of having back exits so when you were done you could get out. By today's standard they are terrible (every one of them had some sort of stun mob that meant if you accidentally pulled more than one pack you were dead, like wtf) but coming from the original vanilla dungeons, they seemed like good improvements.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Just like everything else ever, you gotta judge it by the time it was meant for. Do they suck? Yeah. Are they boring? Yeah. Are they made with cheap deaths in mind? Totally. But they did have some interesting ideas. Black Morass/MT brought some interesting twists on what can be in an instance. Many of them had the idea of having back exits so when you were done you could get out. By today's standard they are terrible (every one of them had some sort of stun mob that meant if you accidentally pulled more than one pack you were dead, like wtf) but coming from the original vanilla dungeons, they seemed like good improvements.

Like I said, I thought this then too. I thought the BC dungeons were a huge flop after the vanilla dungeons. Especially with the design doc reading, 'I don't know, every mob should just like have an ability to polymorph, stun, fear, and/or mc just cuz'

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

The only thing that was challenging about the BC dungeons was the fact that we didn't have the proper tools at the time. I remember having to get creative to tank Shattered Halls as a Warrior, these days I could do all the stuff that was tricky back then in my sleep.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I didn't really feel like there was a new level of creativity with Burning Crusade's dungeons. Vanilla WoW has stuff that seemed way more out there to me with Dire Maul, BRD, or Zul'Farak. I still think that Vanilla dungeons were some of the best at creating really distinct moments that emphasized the environment and let you feel like you were really going on an adventure. For something like Maraudon where you're jumping off waterfalls, maneuvering up rocky paths to fight earthen giants, and then heading down a perilous walkway that had a giant crocodile lurking beneath, that stuff all felt really grand. Never really got the same feeling from BC dungeons.

I've played Destruction and Afflicition before but I spec'd Demonology for the first time tonight, man is it a lot fun but I can totally see why they're changing it for Legion. It's fun but weird to shift from a ranged, pet-lite caster to a temporary melee/caster hybrid. Demonic Leap is so nice though, I'm always a drag-ass in groups as a Destro or Affliction Warlock but with Leap I'm as annoyingly mobile as a Warrior.

I may actually make Demonolgy my main spec, I like having an army of imps helping me murder things. The artifact for Legion looks pretty amazing too.

Going through stuff and of course the Rich Purple Silk Shirt recipe is learned on a level 42 Priest on a super backwater server. Would be nice to get that on another character/server. Maybe I'll do a value transfer some day, some other high value things that would make it worth, but I still wouldn't really want to play a priest, so :/

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wonder if Blizzard sees all the disbanding guilds in Warlords of Draenor and decides to take a serious look at Mythic in Legion. It's certainly not unbeatable, but the massive difficulty jump from MOP to WOD seems insane. It seems like something people clamored for but Blizzard thought ti was more people than it actually was. Mythic is the 'real' raid just looking at the appearances of items, the bonus bosses at the end and so on and the dwindling playerbase continues to not see it. There's far less Mythic cleared guilds on my server than there was on MOP And you combine that with their shrinking playerbase and you have to wonder if they'll actually dial back the difficulty of Mythic in Legion.

There's already too many raid difficulties as it is.

Of course the green sword I want doesn't drop from BoT/BWD (different weapon, same model in both) as soon as I change my xmog to green. It's literally the only decent green sword too, besides what I have. Guess I'll cry into my Mythic Blazing Demonhilt Swords instead.

I wonder if Blizzard sees all the disbanding guilds in Warlords of Draenor and decides to take a serious look at Mythic in Legion. It's certainly not unbeatable, but the massive difficulty jump from MOP to WOD seems insane. It seems like something people clamored for but Blizzard thought it was more people than it actually was. Mythic is the 'real' raid just looking at the appearances of items, the bonus bosses at the end and so on and the dwindling playerbase continues to not see it. There's far less Mythic cleared guilds on my server than there was on MOP And you combine that with their shrinking playerbase and you have to wonder if they'll actually dial back the difficulty of Mythic in Legion.

There's already too many raid difficulties as it is.

I think Mythic works as is relatively fine. Only thing I might change is the cross-realm restriction (been lifted from HFC for ages), either removing it completely, or removing it fairly early like with HFC, rather than forcing it until the next tier of content. Makes it loads easier to trial people when Heroic quickly becomes a joke for Mythic raiders. Though if you had to cut a raid difficulty, remove LFR or the current normal.

Trokil

Banned
i don't get the ashran hate. i finally did it and it was a blast

Well, usually it is a mess. The fights are one sided. There is almost never a real fight going on, because as soon as one side starts to lose, players leave. So 90% of the time you have one faction steamroll the other. Also while it is quite a big place, you spend most of the time on the road zerging, unless there is a bonus event.

And of course if you play on a European server and play against a Russian team, the lag is so bad, you will see first no enemy, than 5 seconds later you are surround by 40 players.

Top Bottom