• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

ZenaxPure

Yeah I've said it before but I don't really care for 4 difficulties either. I thought 3 was a good number. Ideally I'd like to see a tourist mode, a mechanically simple (this part being really important) but tightly tuned flex mode (basically normal), and then the mechanically complex hard hitting fixed size mode (mythic). I just don't really understand the point of heroic, like according to blizz the whole point of flex was to get back to the feel of 10 man normal mode of wrath but I think the way better solution would have just been to you know... make normal mode that easy again.

Get those black market bargains now while you still can.

I really gotta wonder how crazy high some of the items will go for in Legion.

And I would probably end up in the 2mil range before Legion, but I need to buy CMs, so that's gonna set me back about 300k. Probably end up around where I am now at ~1.5mil.

Mitch

Banned
Pretty sure I haven't surpassed 200k this entire expansion. My girlfriend has 2 million and some ex guild members have close to 5. That's an insane amount of gold.

cdyhybrid

Most I've ever had at once is 120K or however much it is for the Yak mount. Spent it immediately on said Yak. Running out of mounts to buy, though, so my gold total might start slowly creeping up.

phierce

And I would probably end up in the 2mil range before Legion, but I need to buy CMs, so that's gonna set me back about 300k. Probably end up around where I am now at ~1.5mil.
Why pay for it? Fairly easy to run if you can get the people (even with a non-optimal group). You're in Seraph still? Shouldn't be an issue with all your members.

Tenebrous

Don't buy the CMs - Find a few mates and do it with them! We're 5/8 at the moment with a far from great comp, and we've been beating some of the timers by over 2 minutes.

Really is some kick ass content.

Why pay for it? Fairly easy to run if you can get the people (even with a non-optimal group). You're in Seraph still? Shouldn't be an issue with all your members.

People I was doing it with have gotten busy/lost interest. It's just hard to organize. Easier to just cough up the gold and be done.

phierce

and I have to think, initial Legion prices are going to be stupid simply because so many people have so much money thanks to garrisons. Level those gatherers, folks.

Tenebrous

Wow gold cap raised again, didn't really see that coming at all.

You didn't? People were capping BMAH bids in MoP, and I know people that had several mil during early Cata.

and I have to think, initial Legion prices are going to be stupid simply because so many people have so much money thanks to garrisons. Level those gatherers, folks.

Oh that's a question - How is profession leveling on the Alpha? Is it gated behind daily CD bollocks like WoD, or can I go out, buy a thousand dust, and max out enchanting in an hour?

cdyhybrid

You didn't? People were capping BMAH bids in MoP, and I know people that had several mil during early Cata.

Oh that's a question - How is profession leveling on the Alpha? Is it gated behind daily CD bollocks like WoD, or can I go out, buy a thousand dust, and max out enchanting in an hour?
It's not fully in yet, but it looks like it's heavily questing-involved. You can level from one with Legion mats and the costs to make things go down as you level it.

Robin64

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/20743584206

So what can we do to capture that nostalgia of when WoW first launched? Over the years we have talked about a “pristine realm”. In essence that would turn off all leveling acceleration including character transfers, heirloom gear, character boosts, Recruit-A-Friend bonuses, WoW Token, and access to cross realm zones, as well as group finder. We aren’t sure whether this version of a clean slate is something that would appeal to the community and it’s still an open topic of discussion.

Blizz on Nostalrius

We wanted to let you know that we’ve been closely following the Nostalrius discussion and we appreciate your constructive thoughts and suggestions.

Our silence on this subject definitely doesn’t reflect our level of engagement and passion around this topic. We hear you. Many of us across Blizzard and the WoW Dev team have been passionate players ever since classic WoW. In fact, I personally work at Blizzard because of my love for classic WoW.

We have been discussing classic servers for years - it’s a topic every BlizzCon - and especially over the past few weeks. From active internal team discussions to after-hours meetings with leadership, this subject has been highly debated. Some of our current thoughts:

Why not just let Nostalrius continue the way it was? The honest answer is, failure to protect against intellectual property infringement would damage Blizzard’s rights. This applies to anything that uses WoW’s IP, including unofficial servers. And while we’ve looked into the possibility – there is not a clear legal path to protect Blizzard’s IP and grant an operating license to a pirate server.

We explored options for developing classic servers and none could be executed without great difficulty. If we could push a button and all of this would be created, we would. However, there are tremendous operational challenges to integrating classic servers, not to mention the ongoing support of multiple live versions for every aspect of WoW.

So what can we do to capture that nostalgia of when WoW first launched? Over the years we have talked about a “pristine realm”. In essence that would turn off all leveling acceleration including character transfers, heirloom gear, character boosts, Recruit-A-Friend bonuses, WoW Token, and access to cross realm zones, as well as group finder. We aren’t sure whether this version of a clean slate is something that would appeal to the community and it’s still an open topic of discussion.

One other note - we’ve recently been in contact with some of the folks who operated Nostalrius. They obviously care deeply about the game, and we look forward to more conversations with them in the coming weeks.

You, the Blizzard community, are the most dedicated, passionate players out there. We thank you for your constructive thoughts and suggestions. We are listening.

J. Allen Brack

Pristine realms are the things of my dreams. That's all I want.

Pristine realm sounds interesting, moreso than a Vanilla server. Having to physically travel to dungeons sounds kind of nuts though, would totally roll a warlock just so I could summon people to group events. That would change so many things, outside of the obvious change forcing people to interact more with one another. I mean faction rep would only be easily obtainable through questing since you couldn't spam the dungeon queue at 15 with a tabbard until revered. It would totally slow down the pace at which you would get faction/rep bags. That might actually drive up a need for low-level tailor bags. Leveling (some) professions might be sort of worthwhile then? Crafted low-level gear might be worth something as well.

I would definitely try a Pristine server out.

Yeah, i'll take pristine over all the vanilla options.

I like the idea, but I wonder if they could make alterations and re-release expansions over time? Such as Launch in say, November 2016, then release the next expansion (or unlock it as the case may be) every November after that. You could do some adjustments here and there to make characters viable at the level caps as they move. They already did a lot of the work making sure numbers scaled and matched up at 60/70/80/90 when they r-scaled everything, so I imagine a small team could handle a lot of the fine tuning for encounters and most of the content is already "created", just needs to be adjusted here and there. The only flaw here is that the timeline would be completely messed up assuming they used Post-Cata Azeroth from the get-go (since they claim they don't have the original copies of the game on their end).

Tenebrous

Just did 89k DPS on an LFR boss, 13k higher than the rogue in second place.

Prot spec.

At 142 attempts, 76% chance to have seen Mim's head by now. I've taken more XCOM shots in a row at that percentage that haven't failed. Seriously.

161 kills for Sulfuras, which is a much higher droprate. Man up!

TheYanger

The nost thread posts about the pristine servers are about what I would expect: People resistant because it's still 'modern' wow even though it's got everything they claim makes vanilla better. It's almost like the only reason people want vanilla is nostalgia in the first place! (fucking crazy I know). Ironically, a pristine server would be vastly superior to a vanilla server in all ways besides nostalgia, you'd get the 'community' aspects and still have actual good content on top of it.

Tenebrous

The nost thread posts about the pristine servers are about what I would expect: People resistant because it's still 'modern' wow even though it's got everything they claim makes vanilla better. It's almost like the only reason people want vanilla is nostalgia in the first place! (fucking crazy I know). Ironically, a pristine server would be vastly superior to a vanilla server in all ways besides nostalgia, you'd get the 'community' aspects and still have actual good content on top of it.

Nostalgia aside, I'd have Vanilla PvP & crafting back in a heartbeat. Interesting-to-aqcuire mats & ridiculous PvP shits all over the current game.

But yeah, I'd play on a Pristine Server IF they didn't allow transfers to it.

TheYanger

Nostalgia aside, I'd have Vanilla PvP & crafting back in a heartbeat. Interesting-to-aqcuire mats & ridiculous PvP shits all over the current game.

But yeah, I'd play on a Pristine Server IF they didn't allow transfers to it.

What was interesting to acquire in vanilla? Genuine question. I was a miner/herbalist for much of that time, I 'acquired' every material hundreds of times over to sell to people that didn't find it that interesting (and I never found it interesting either, just profitable).

What is pristine servers?

New post they made about stuff they'd been discussing/exploring regarding vanilla style servers. No dungeon finder, no x realm, no transfers, no heirlooms no xp boosts of any kind. Still 'current' wow though so that it doesn't have to maintain a separate client.

Tenebrous

What was interesting to acquire in vanilla? Genuine question. I was a miner/herbalist for much of that time, I 'acquired' every material hundreds of times over to sell to people that didn't find it that interesting (and I never found it interesting either, just profitable).

Recipes, and a wider range of mats from all over the world. I mean, crafting something like Spidersilk Boots is infinitely more interesting than crafting nameless WoD epic #62.

Self farming Robe of Power on my Warlock was so far ahead of anything I can recall doing with my professions for several years now.

Tenebrous

Long live the days of farming greater fire pot recipe...

Hah, funny story. A month or two back I asked Blizzard to restore a hunter I deleted back in 2007. In its bags? 20x Silver Skeleton Key and 1x Elixir of Greater Firepower. Might move it to my second realm and give it a new life.

I'm honestly shocked they replied... Well It's something I guess.

Problem with Prestine is it doesn't actually go back to the original content at all. Part of the reason I wanted to see legacy servers is because I wanted to actually try and experience some of the original raid content while it was relevent. Then you also have the original talent trees which sure are clucky but you could experiement a lot more with certain builds it was really fun way to customize your character even if a lot of the stuff was +1% hit and stuff like that. If people want a 'Prestine' experience they can already pretty much do that themseleves and if they really want a challenge they could try the Iron Man Challenge.

I do like the idea that they could try different server types. Like imagine they have a server where you could group with alliance and horde and talk to each other? They could do one that graned less experience or hell they could do one with quicker experience if they really wanted to. There is several interesting things they could do with this... I'm going to have to think on some ideas they could eventually do.

Tenebrous

Eh pattern acquisition I can't argue with. I guess I was focusing on the mats themselves.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=7054/robe-of-power#created-by-spell

Self farming that would take you across the world.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=116453/steelforged-greataxe&bonus=525

Self farming that would take you to a different part of your garrison.

As someone who likes to do their own shit, there's not really a contest. THAT BEING SAID! I do agree with your post. I don't want vanilla/TBC/wrath/cata/MOP back - I did my time. I just want a little bit more of that old style stuff, and I reckon Pristine Realms could do that.

Lemonheap

Banned
I wanna get into PvP with my afflic warlock. Anyone have a guide on PvP, have never done anything other than fuck about in RBG's for 10 years.

Read about arenas but seemed 2hardcore.

Jag

Came back for a month or so to focus solely on gold farming just to see what I could make and to milk a bit from WoD before the gold nerf.

Made over 100k in 2 weeks focusing on 4 max garry/shipyards with treasure followers, selling in demand mats (also liquidating resources) and gear and running Cata raids for about 2k a pop (I hate Spine of DW).

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'd give pristine realms a shot. One of my biggest problems with pure classic servers is missing out on some of the key mechanical/graphical advancements over the years, and pristine servers sound like they wouldn't suffer from that.

They would also be totally unappealing to people who actually want, say, a level 60 or 70 endgame, so I can't see most of the nostalrius crowd being terribly interested.

What do you mean by this exactly? A server where it begins on Vanilla and releases each big patch every several months til it's caught up? I mean, what happens then?
Well I'm going by the EQ2 version of a progression server. So current WoW but unlocking each expansions content over time. It could incorporate the proposed pristine rule set as well.

It obviously wouldn't appeal to the Nost crowd but nothing other than an actual classic realm would.

Tenebrous

Garrison cache's in a nutshell.

Day -1 - Oh boy, I'm glad I get my cache tomorrow! I wonder what's in it!
Day 0 - Shock horror, it's shit.
Day 3 - Hey, non-raider we've boosted a few times - Grats on your BiS trinket!
Day 7 - I'm never getting excited for that stupid cache again.
Day 10 - You know, I get a new cache in a few days.
Day 13 - Hm, I wonder... I mean, it COULD contain something good. Maybe this time...!
Day 14 - I GOT THAT SAME SHIT RING LAST WEEK. FOR FUCK SAKE BLIZZARD.

Repeat.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Came back for a month or so to focus solely on gold farming just to see what I could make and to milk a bit from WoD before the gold nerf.

Made over 100k in 2 weeks focusing on 4 max garry/shipyards with treasure followers, selling in demand mats (also liquidating resources) and gear and running Cata raids for about 2k a pop (I hate Spine of DW).

Very nice!
I've been doing the same even going as far as setting myself daily averages to meet over all my chars and then seeing if I can best my previous month. I only wanted to make some easy gold for tokens but it was so easy I wanted to see how far I could push it. Now I'm in too deep and can't bring myself to stop. ;) I'm pumped to see what I end up with but will be relieved when Legion finally arrives.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Interesting response from Blizzard on the whole classic server thing. The forums seem to be a mix of love a cess pool as always.

Top Bottom