• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I feel the same way about Orcs.

Blizzard would catch huge flake, but they could do something like race-gender class restrictions. Like a Female Orc could be a Rogue, but not a Male Orc.

If they did that, every night elf druid would need to be male. And if they did race-gender class restrictions they would need to double down on class restrictions in general

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I pretty much just want to play Undead or Troll everything. Troll Paladin. Undead Demon Hunter. #makethehordegreatagain

Except shaman. Shaman is orc forever.

A... Useful item?! In a mythic cache?! WHAT IS THIS MADNESS?!?

Mythic socketed Archimonde cloak for OS.

I think we've only seen one Archi strength cloak drop at most and I have it to someone else. Still rocking heroic WF one for Necroblight.

Most interesting loot this week was 2x Prophecy and 2x EDH off Mannoroth. First Prophecies after who knows how many kills. At least 8 it looks like.

Our warrior is still sad though cause we haven't had any Calamity's Edges drop since we picked him up for the roster. We had maybe 2, one being WF, which went to our ret paladin, but he's been forced to prot for us most of the time due to flaky tanks.

ampere

What talents were you thinking of rolling with?

I went with this: http://legion.wowhead.com/talent-calc/monk/brewmaster/MnN0

Similar, but for rows 45 and 100 I think there's going to be a mathematically superior talent based on your gear.

For example, Mastery (via giving AP), Crit, and Versatility increase the size of your Gift of the Ox heals, but Haste does not (unless I'm missing something). While only Haste impacts how much you can purify. Also, Gift of the Ox is currently more impactful than purifying based on my limited testing, so Gift of the Mists is *probably* strongest right now

Level 100 idk right now.

Tarazet

I feel the same way about Orcs.

Blizzard would catch huge flake, but they could do something like race-gender class restrictions. Like a Female Orc could be a Rogue, but not a Male Orc.

Rolling with a level 100 female Orc Rogue here. Might main her in Legion.. even though Druid is super awesome, I've played the class almost exclusively for 4 expansions now. It's time to mix it up a little. Most Horde races work well for Rogue I think, except as you said, male Orc as well as male Pandaren.

cdyhybrid

I'm maining DH, then leveling a DK, but undecided after that.

Will probably end up leveling all the classes by next expansion, but early candidates for second alt are (in no particular order) Monk (BM mainly), Rogue, Pally (Prot/Holy mostly), and Druid (Bear/Resto).

Jag

Rolling with a level 100 female Orc Rogue here. Might main her in Legion.. even though Druid is super awesome, I've played the class almost exclusively for 4 expansions now. It's time to mix it up a little. Most Horde races work well for Rogue I think, except as you said, male Orc as well as male Pandaren.

Just tried out Outlaw on PTR. What fun! I may actually play my rogue this time.

ampere

I'm thinking about trying to level all the classes for the class specific campaign quests, but I guess that depends how compelling those questlines are and how long it takes to level.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wanted to level as enhancement for Legion, but all the lip service paid to melee has me worried it'll be a much smaller raid pool to grab from as enhancement over elemental.

I've decided to go with feral druid. Now I'm just trying to decide on what race. Leaning towards worgen since some of the cosmetic issues I had with them have been fixed.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I think I'm still leaning towards demo lock, but I've made the mistake at looking at beta impressions threads and it is apparently leaving a lot to be desired. AoE is reportedly terrible, and the ramp up time of getting your imps and dreadstalkers out and buffed means that target swapping is also in a bad place. Bummed to hear it, as I really like the direction the spec is headed in and want it to be strong and viable.

If I actually get to a point where I want to drop Demo, I'm not sure what I will focus on. Most of the other specs I'm interested in are melee, like survival, enhance, and unholy. Maybe Affliction will be a good option, it seems to be in a pretty decent spot for Legion and has a cool artifact. Although I'm not sure I like how the artifact seems to have such a focus on "on kill" effects, since those can be largely moot for lots of raid/dungeon bosses.

I wanted to level as enhancement for Legion, but all the lip service paid to melee has me worried it'll be a much smaller raid pool to grab from as enhancement over elemental.

I don't think people who tend to play ranged are going to feel compelled to play melee in legion, at least not en masse. I remember Blizzard actually commented on that themselves recently and said that they generally see people gravitate towards one or the other and that it is fairly uncommon for people to play both with regularity.

Tarazet

I don't think people who tend to play ranged are going to feel compelled to play melee in legion, at least not en masse. I remember Blizzard actually commented on that themselves recently and said that they generally see people gravitate towards one or the other and that it is fairly uncommon for people to play both with regularity.

If you want to play melee and want an easy raid spot, might as well play a tank. People with short memories forget how common Death Knight was with the edgelord crowd and how long it took for other plate classes to start coming out of the woodwork again. That's why I'm at least going to give Vengeance a good college try during the prepatch to see if it's a good match for my playstyle and ability level.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Well, Retribution and Enhancement do have the perks that they bring a raid buff.+
If you want to play melee and want an easy raid spot, might as well play a tank. People with short memories forget how common Death Knight was with the edgelord crowd and how long it took for other plate classes to start coming out of the woodwork again. That's why I'm at least going to give Vengeance a good college try during the prepatch to see if it's a good match for my playstyle and ability level.

Finding a raid spot as a tank is the hardest role to find a regular raid spot as. Most guilds have 'their' tanks.

ZenaxPure

I hope they tone down Roll the Bones animation. Those giant dice get annoying. There's no reason for them to be that huge.

It used to be smaller, like waayyyyyy smaller. Then one build they randomly made it huge and never went back. I have no idea why the fuck it happened but it bugs me as well.

Tarazet

Finding a raid spot as a tank is the hardest role to find a regular raid spot as. Most guilds have 'their' tanks.

It's different. You'll have to dig around a bit, but once you get it, you're pretty unshakable. As a DPS you have to constantly live up to sometimes unreasonable expectations.

Anoregon

There's a beta video showing off Dalaran on wowhead, and just watching it and seeing Dalaran filled with people again put a smile on my face.

ZenaxPure

Also on the topic of Demon Hunters in the pre-xpac patch I wouldn't set your sights super high on.... fun I guess. Demon Hunters unlock talents at level 99, 100, then every other level after that (so 102, 104, etc.), and obviously you won't have your artifact ability. You are just missing so much of their toolkit, like you don't even have a way to heal yourself if you're soloing old raid bosses until level 104 where you can unlock a very strong self heal talent.

I mean obviously it will be cool to get a taste of the class before Legion is out but it really is just a taste, it feels exactly like playing any other class before you hit level 100 and you are missing buttons you feel like you should have.

How many Demon Hunters do you think there's going to be for the first few months of Legion? In your guild, in pugs, in LFR? Your best bet is playing a class that doesn't overlap with either melee dps or leather agi armor. Enhancement Shaman might be okay since there's only overlap with the combat role, but with Elemental (and Resto) there's none.

Demon Hunter means I pretty much won't main Windwalker in Legion. It'll definitely be the second artifact I choose, really enjoy the spec, but I think I have to main Mistweaver in Legion. There's going to be significantly less competition for Leather Int gear and there's going to be more than the usual glut of DPS and probably more tanks than usual, I think healers will be at a premium. Initially.

ZenaxPure

All leather gear is both int and agi, so that's not really going to help.

Also they are taking it a step further in Legion and making all capes have Str/Int/Agi and they are removing those stats from rings and necks, so every class and spec will be using the same pool of capes/necks/rings. I believe trinkets are the only thing that is going to matter for your spec now.

fj91oGr.png

Anoregon

Oh shit, right. That change is good and bad, I guess. All gear has all stats now, so you're just flat out competing with all classes that can wear the same gear-type now. Balls.

Just take "competing" out of the equation entirely and use the clearly superior personal loot. Especially early on when everyone needs upgrades for multiple slots.

It really only makes sense to use master loot when the raid is at a point where they are looking for 1-2 specific drops off of a boss (aside from tier tokens)

Anoregon

I kind of want the Legion CE since it's 20% off on amazon prime, but that would be mean waiting until it gets delivered to play on launch day. I'd feel like a sucker if I both order the CE and purchase digitally just so blizzard can "refund" the standard edition key back to me to inevitably give away.

Also the only two blizzard CE's I have (other than D2, but that's ages ago and I was a kid so I didn't EARN IT) are vanilla D3 and WoD, so I'm afraid that I am cursed and any CE I buy turns out to be a not very good game.

Sölf

I am sad I only started collecting the CEs with Cataclysm and onward. Eh, too late now. I am not going to pay several hundred Euros for one of those.

Anoregon

At least that disappointment only has a continued shelf life of like 2 months!

Tenebrous

Anyone in an EU guild with the Blacksteel Battleboar unlocked? It's the one from defeating mythic Blackhand & whateverthehighmaulbossiscalled in a guild group.

If so, can I pretty please leech off your hard work & grab the mount on a lowbie hunter? Would send gold across via battle pets as a thank you, if you'd like.

frequency

Of the classes/specs in Legion, I think I like Affliction Warlock most. I hate Warlocks thematically though. Demons are lame. And sadly I can't make a Pandaren Warlock.

My main has been Assassination Rogue forever but I'm not feeling it in Legion. It's mostly the same as WoD but I don't like Garrote maintenance. The loss of Dispatch, which I know wasn't great, actually makes me feel weaker. Like combat feels less impactful. Outlaw feels better but is a bit too spammy for my tastes.

Tarazet

Oh shit, right. That change is good and bad, I guess. All gear has all stats now, so you're just flat out competing with all classes that can wear the same gear-type now. Balls.

There are 3 cloth classes - Mage, Warlock, Priest
There are 4 leather classes - Druid, Rogue, Monk, Demon Hunter
There are 2 mail classes - Hunter and Shaman
There are 3 plate classes - Warrior, Paladin, Death Knight

I mean yes, there's going to be more competition for leather gear initially, but realistically, few people play Rogue or Monk now on live, and a lot of them will be the ones jumping on DH. I mean look at me, I'm going from a Druid main for 4 xpacs to possibly playing DH. That will be the same gear type as before. I think after the initial hype dies down, and especially if the initial feelings are negative since leveling a DH from 100-110 is going to be a shitty process, it should balance out OK. It all depends on lasting popularity. The popularity of Hunter alone makes mail gear harder to get.

I don't really feel like I "should" play any class for any particular reason. I think Legion is in a better place now in terms of, I can pick the spec I want to play or feel I am best suited to, and roll with it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
There are 3 cloth classes - Mage, Warlock, Priest
There are 4 leather classes - Druid, Rogue, Monk, Demon Hunter
There are 2 mail classes - Hunter and Shaman
There are 3 plate classes - Warrior, Paladin, Death Knight

I mean yes, there's going to be more competition for leather gear initially, but realistically, few people play Rogue or Monk now on live, and a lot of them will be the ones jumping on DH. I mean look at me, I'm going from a Druid main for 4 xpacs to possibly playing DH. That will be the same gear type as before. I think after the initial hype dies down, and especially if the initial feelings are negative since leveling a DH from 100-110 is going to be a shitty process, it should balance out OK. It all depends on lasting popularity. The popularity of Hunter alone makes mail gear harder to get.

I don't really feel like I "should" play any class for any particular reason. I think Legion is in a better place now in terms of, I can pick the spec I want to play or feel I am best suited to, and roll with it.
Tons of players are going to try out Rogue for the new Outlaw spec. People have wanted a 'gun and sword' rogue spec forever.

ZenaxPure

My main has been Assassination Rogue forever but I'm not feeling it in Legion. It's mostly the same as WoD but I don't like Garrote maintenance. The loss of Dispatch, which I know wasn't great, actually makes me feel weaker. Like combat feels less impactful. Outlaw feels better but is a bit too spammy for my tastes.

Garrote is pretty boring but I don't mind it that much myself. Dispatch I am actually glad is gone because I've hated that ability since they nerfed it in MoP. It felt so good in Cata because it refunded energy and had close to a 100% crit chance so it ultimately served as a way for you to have higher envenom uptime during your execute phase. When they got rid of those mechanics in MoP I came to really loathe the ability. The proc part of it was alright though, wouldn't mind that coming back as a mechanic (perhaps on a different ability) but I'm not attached to it.

The one positive thing I will say about garrote is it and rupture give you ridiculous burst damage with the exsanguinate talent. It and our artifact ability have the exact same cooldown and it's fun to use them in conjunction because during exsanguinate you're energy capped and our artifact ability benefits from spamming mutilate as much as you can. No idea if that was intentional on Blizz's part but the two feel really good together.

I don't feel like I have to play any class but I find there's more benefit to being Healer/DPS off-spec for getting into group activities than pure DPS. With Demon Hunter being the new hotness in Legion there's going to be a glut of melee DPS and tanks at the start, so healers and, to a lesser extent, ranged DPS might be at a bit of a premium. I mean even Hunters might be rolling heavy as melee as everyone tries the spec out at the expansions start.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Tons of players are going to try out Rogue for the new Outlaw spec. People have wanted a 'gun and sword' rogue spec forever.
Outlaw is one of the most appealing specs to me in Legion, but it's been so long since Rogues have felt like a popular class with universal appeal. I'm interested to see how this stuff pans out, but I have a hard time seeing very many people gravitate towards Outlaw when Demon Hunters are around as a fresh melee spec. Could be totally wrong though.

Legion seems like it has a great potential to really sway the popularity of classes. I expect Monks to become even less common. They are the least played class on both NA and EU and their popularity will only shrink with the tepid reaction to their changes. Hunter also might finally lose its number one spot, though their lead over other classes in North America is pretty substantial, but with Paladins and Druids positioned behind them it seems like it could happen very easily, because I expect growth for both of those classes.

Jag

I kind of want the Legion CE since it's 20% off on amazon prime, but that would be mean waiting until it gets delivered to play on launch day. I'd feel like a sucker if I both order the CE and purchase digitally just so blizzard can "refund" the standard edition key back to me to inevitably give away.

20% off is a decent deal. The problem with buying it physical on Amazon is you won't get early access to the DH.

Shahadan

About the 100 boost, how does it handle professions?

Is it still "be lvl 60 and your professions get upped to max" like the 90 boost?

It's a pretty pointless bonus, the catch-up mechanics are as such that you can get any profession to 700 pretty quickly if you don't want to level a toon to 60 before boosting it.

Tarazet

Outlaw is one of the most appealing specs to me in Legion, but it's been so long since Rogues have felt like a popular class with universal appeal. I'm interested to see how this stuff pans out, but I have a hard time seeing very many people gravitate towards Outlaw when Demon Hunters are around as a fresh melee spec. Could be totally wrong though.

Legion seems like it has a great potential to really sway the popularity of classes. I expect Monks to become even less common. They are the least played class on both NA and EU and their popularity will only shrink with the tepid reaction to their changes. Hunter also might finally lose its number one spot, though their lead over other classes in North America is pretty substantial, but with Paladins and Druids positioned behind them it seems like it could happen very easily, because I expect growth for both of those classes.

They can't all grow though. There's been a lot of positive reactions to just about every class. In PTR dungeons I can say it has been all Druid all the time. The fact that class buffs are so scarce now means that class stacking isn't going to be punished as much.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
They can't all grow though. There's been a lot of positive reactions to just about every class. In PTR dungeons I can say it has been all Druid all the time. The fact that class buffs are so scarce now means that class stacking isn't going to be punished as much.
I've definitely seen negative reactions to some classes, and I think when the expectations for what a class should be capable of are redefined there will be some amount of dissent. This is why I expect blowback on Hunter, where the changes have not only been met with negative reception, but the game is attempting to move away from the level of safety allowed to what Hunters were as their toolbox began to nearly overflow with defensive options for both themselves and their pets. People moving from WoD start Hunters with Aspect of the Fox to Legion start Hunters will find themselves in for a pretty rude awakening. Wouldn't be surprised to see Priest shrink either. Disc seems like a mess.

Top Bottom