• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Tenebrous

Paladins always feel sleepy until they get enough Haste. That's a common drumbeat in every expansion. Meanwhile everyone who rolls Death Knights to be overtuned for the lower gear levels is sad later on when they are no longer exceptional.

At least it looks like they'll be good at some point. Blizzard's recent band-aid fix to the RPDT system, the drastic change to Ignore Pain, and that buff/nerf of Inspiring Presence has me concerned that they're just fucking clueless at the moment.

Tarazet

At least it looks like they'll be good at some point. Blizzard's recent band-aid fix to the RPDT system, the drastic change to Ignore Pain, and that buff/nerf of Inspiring Presence has me concerned that they're just fucking clueless at the moment.

I can sum it up this way, doing more self-healing based on how much damage you have taken makes sense. Getting more mitigation after the big hit has already happened - which is the way Warrior seems to be set up in Legion - doesn't help at all.

Tenebrous

I did the most unscientific test yesterday.

I took my 743 (equipped) Warrior to the tanking dummy in the Garrison, and just let it swing on me for a bit. Once I'd taken 100% of my HP, I'd generated 35~ rage, which isn't even a half-powered Ignore Pain.

Yeah I know that's a stupid test that proves nothing, but I was just curious!

Tarazet

I did the most unscientific test yesterday.

I took my 743 (equipped) Warrior to the tanking dummy in the Garrison, and just let it swing on me for a bit. Once I'd taken 100% of my HP, I'd generated 35~ rage, which isn't even a half-powered Ignore Pain.

Yeah I know that's a stupid test that proves nothing, but I was just curious!

At least you can survive the dummy, he kills my 685 Druid in 30 seconds or less.

Jag

You could also just swap to balance if you get tired of Feral. It's supposed to be pretty good I think.

Question about how gear changes with spec change. I know if my agi gear has +int greyed out it will change to +int gear when I change to balance, but I've noticed other gear will also change that doesn't list other stats. How can you tell what will change?

Tarazet

Question about how gear changes with spec change. I know if my agi gear has +int greyed out it will change to +int gear when I change to balance, but I've noticed other gear will also change that doesn't list other stats. How can you tell what will change?

Currently jewelry, cloaks and trinkets are non adaptive. They have fixed main stats on them. In Legion I believe it will be cut down to only trinkets.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

The greyed out stat is the only thing that changes, and it only happens on armor. All leather and mail is agi/int, the active stat between the two just changes based on spec.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Feral was unappealing enough to play in WoD...but I think Preacher was pointing out just how outdated the spec felt as other melee stuff continued to move forward in Legion while it mostly stays the same. Still just don't really get how or why people gravitate to it, even if the new models are great.

Well considering how many people say Legion is 'rooning' their favorite specs, that should be a good thing, right?

iirate

Feral was unappealing enough to play in WoD...but I think Preacher was pointing out just how outdated the spec felt as other melee stuff continued to move forward in Legion while it mostly stays the same. Still just don't really get how or why people gravitate to it, even if the new models are great.

I like feral because it feels like one of the most elegant specs in the game. The buttons have clear purpose, there's not too many of them, and many are smartly contextual(mostly with old stealth abilities that were smartly rolled into other ones). At the same time, the spec has a ton of depth with regards to planning ahead and correctly snapshotting. I feel like it's a fantastic example of an easy to learn and hard to master spec.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think if I wind up playing my Balance Druid for Legion, I may have to go Alliance.

It's weird, I strongly dislike the Elf races but I can't buy a druid as anything but a Night Elf.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
A peculiar console variable added in Legion is one called CameraOverShoulder. This allows the end user to move the camera x distance right or left from the shoulder of the character. At the moment, the variable allows for rather high values (though seven digits crashed the game, and returned this:

errorxhs0e.png

Anyhow, here are some examples and artistic screenshots I took (on the PTR) using this variable. Note that the camera cannot penetrate certain structures, so sometimes it gets stuck (though you can get really great angles using that trick).

My character in this shot stands atop the clock tower in Stormwind, but with a value at 4096 the camera is actually placed in Wetlands (I think it's Wetlands anyway)..

My character here was in Vashj'ir, but the camera is somewhere in Eastern Kingdoms (I can't tell where exactly as textures don't load sometimes using this variable).

Dalaran above Karazhan. It's being attacked by the Legion, hence the ship.

Dalaran (Karazhan), as seen from above.

Paladin order hall.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Well considering how many people say Legion is 'rooning' their favorite specs, that should be a good thing, right?
With how many specs were half busted or completely unbalanced the number of legitimate claims to specs being ruined seems pretty low. With survivability being nerfed it's sort of inevitable that people would feel like their spec was ruined.
I like feral because it feels like one of the most elegant specs in the game. The buttons have clear purpose, there's not too many of them, and many are smartly contextual(mostly with old stealth abilities that were smartly rolled into other ones). At the same time, the spec has a ton of depth with regards to planning ahead and correctly snapshotting. I feel like it's a fantastic example of an easy to learn and hard to master spec.
It's hard to not see the specs limited toolset hamstringing it. Not many different playstyles and the bleed/buff maintenance of Feral isn't all that universal. Options for altering playstyle are limited, and unlike some other classes they don't have another melee damage spec to swap to if the fight conditions are unfavorable. The idea of maintaining Savage Roar in a Mythic dungeon is legitimately one of the most unappealing prospects across all the damage specs I can think of.

That sucks. They really should have added bad luck protection for those

Yeah, it blows. I wouldn't mind that much if I knew they wouldn't disappear after Legion launches but I'm pretty sure they will be unobtainable at that point. I am fine with stuff being hard to get I have no problem with stuff taking time or any of that but this is just bad.

There is sooooo little downside to hunters in WoD. They can move while channeling (!), whenever they want (!), much to the envy of every other ranged dps in the game. They have pets to help them tank/dps/solo content, they are one of the few classes that can viably solo some MoP content. They have multiple traps for control of an area, they have multiple escapes, they can fuck up, pull everything and shift their aggro to another party member. I don't know what the downside to a hunter is on live, beyond the stigma of the class.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
There is sooooo little downside to hunters in WoD. They can move while channeling (!), whenever they want (!), much to the envy of every other ranged dps in the game. They have pets to help them tank/dps/solo content, they are one of the few classes that can viably solo some MoP content. They have multiple traps for control of an area, they have multiple escapes, they can fuck up, pull everything and shift their aggro to another party member. I don't know what the downside to a hunter is on live, beyond the stigma of the class.

They also have zero damage ramp-up, they start doing high DPS on pull and never fall off and they have one of the best single target slows in the game.

It's telling of the development team that they looked at Hunter's spec throughout this entire expansion and said 'yeah they're fine'

iirate

It's hard to not see the specs limited toolset hamstringing it. Not many different playstyles and the bleed/buff maintenance of Feral isn't all that universal. Options for altering playstyle are limited, and unlike some other classes they don't have another melee damage spec to swap to if the fight conditions are unfavorable. The idea of maintaining Savage Roar in a Mythic dungeon is legitimately one of the most unappealing prospects across all the damage specs I can think of.

The spec certainly isn't perfect, and I agree with everything here, but I also think that because of these issues, feral has more to potentially gain from the new talent system than most other specs, which makes it a shame that we probably won't see more design iteration for them this expansion.

Azzurri

I kinda wanna faction change from Alliance to horde (belf, I know, I know, but if they ever make male orcs not hunch I would pick). Seems like Horde always wins in BGs too.

Tarazet

The spec certainly isn't perfect, and I agree with everything here, but I also think that because of these issues, feral has more to potentially gain from the new talent system than most other specs, which makes it a shame that we probably won't see more design iteration for them this expansion.

You can already make Savage Roar passive with a glyph if you want to, but at a substantial DPS loss unfortunately.

Rogues complained when they had active SnD and when they had passive SnD. Now Roll the Bones has started the controversy all over again.

I think that requiring a certain playstyle but making it nearly impossible to execute without third-party add ons is pretty shit, and that's Feral in a nutshell. It takes a lot of practice to do it properly.

iirate

You can already make Savage Roar passive with a glyph if you want to, but at a substantial DPS loss unfortunately.

Both Savage Roar glyphs are gone IIRC. The one that didn't reduce its power but allowed a cast at 0 CP is missed, the other is obsoleted by SR being a talent now.

I think that requiring a certain playstyle but making it nearly impossible to execute without third-party add ons is pretty shit, and that's Feral in a nutshell. It takes a lot of practice to do it properly.

Honestly, I can't comment on this, because I can't imagine playing the game on a near optimum level without addons. I know it happens(arena tournament players can't use addons, right?), but it's far from the norm, and honestly, every spec has this problem to a great extent(even if it's even more pronounced for some).

I understand high-level feral play, but honestly play it very casually and just for leveling/dungeons. In those situations, the spec is fine, and even easier than some other specs IMO without addons.

TheYanger

People that bitch about 'maintainence buffs' when you've only got like one or two that are core to the class, I can't stand that shit. It's not any different than maintaining a dot or something, and as much as you can deride them as "Just keep them up, where's the gameplay!" you could do that about anything, those buffs impact your rotation and timing and as much as it's trivial to keep them up, it's still something people fail to do, and better players lose less dps doing so than worse players. /shrug.

Even the "oh maintaining roar in a 5 man sounds awful" argument:

It's harder, for sure, but again I played a rogue through all of vanilla and TBC where you did the same thing, it's not ACTUALLY very hard, it just impacts your dps a bit on fodder style trash, on legitimate trash it doesn't hurt nearly as much unless you guys stand around a ton between every pull. To me that's all part of the skill cap of the character though, min-maxing your output in variable situations. On a base level no class is hard to play, but in reality they're all hard to play because of things like that which require a more intrinsic knowledge of effective dps.

Peachpies

People that bitch about 'maintainence buffs' when you've only got like one or two that are core to the class, I can't stand that shit. It's not any different than maintaining a dot or something, and as much as you can deride them as "Just keep them up, where's the gameplay!" you could do that about anything, those buffs impact your rotation and timing and as much as it's trivial to keep them up, it's still something people fail to do, and better players lose less dps doing so than worse players. /shrug.

It's harder, for sure, but again I played a rogue through all of vanilla and TBC where you did the same thing, it's not ACTUALLY very hard, it just impacts your dps a bit on fodder style trash, on legitimate trash it doesn't hurt nearly as much unless you guys stand around a ton between every pull. To me that's all part of the skill cap of the character though, min-maxing your output in variable situations. On a base level no class is hard to play, but in reality they're all hard to play because of things like that which require a more intrinsic knowledge of effective dps.
Not everyone likes exactly what you like. Shocking.

Tenebrous

Remember when combo points didn't carry between targets & S&D lasted like, 17 seconds? Fun times.

frequency

Maintenance buffs are boring because the effect isn't as obvious or immediately felt. I'd rather my button presses feel more impactful.

Instead of pressing SnD every 36 seconds to keep a buff up I'd rather have some hard hitting ability to press every 36 seconds. It feels a lot better and has immediate feedback when I see a big number pop up on my screen.

That's why I don't like maintenance buffs.

TheYanger

Not everyone likes exactly what you like. Shocking.
Obviously, but when it's something that has been core to the class for a long time and it DOES have gameplay benefit, it seems silly to think it should change. I don't complain about how ret paladins paly just because I rolled a ret paladin alt when people that ACTUALLY play ret paladins play them because they enjoy that style.
Remember when combo points didn't carry between targets & S&D lasted like, 17 seconds? Fun times.
S&D Lasted like 30 seconds. 21 untalented, and the talent was 100% required for all specs, which bumped it to 30.

Maintenance buffs are boring because the effect isn't as obvious or immediately felt. I'd rather my button presses feel more impactful.

Instead of pressing SnD every 36 seconds to keep a buff up I'd rather have some hard hitting ability to press every 36 seconds. It feels a lot better and has immediate feedback when I see a big number pop up on my screen.

That's why I don't like maintenance buffs.

Ok? So apply the same logic to dots, do you then play a warlock and demand that dots are boring and should be changed? They serve very similar functions.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Oh are we talking about how fun maintenance buffs are? Legion Demonology has one that you cast at least twice every 12 seconds. It's totally super fun.

Lanrutcon

Maintaining buffs/debuffs is always fucking stupid. Just make the duration on everything 5 minutes so we're not forced to install weakauras and shit.

frequency

Ok? So apply the same logic to dots, do you then play a warlock and demand that dots are boring and should be changed? They serve very similar functions.

Uh... You always seem so hostile towards... everything.

1. DoTs feel significantly different than maintenance buffs to me. I see the direct feedback when I cast them in the form of number streams above my target. Increased attack speed or damage from maintenance buffs are hidden within the normal numbers so I don't feel that immediate impact. So I find them less satisfying.

2. No. I don't demand anything be changed. I was just stating why I'm not a big fan of maintenance buffs. If you love them, good for you?

Tenebrous

S&D Lasted like 30 seconds. 21 untalented, and the talent was 100% required for all specs, which bumped it to 30.

I thought it was 17 untalented in TBC? Rogue was my 5th or so alt, so I'm cutting myself some slack on that.

Maintaining buffs/debuffs is always fucking stupid. Just make the duration on everything 5 minutes so we're not forced to install weakauras and shit.

Naw, keeping enrage up on a Fury warrior is cool.

Khezu

Speaking of cool Troll things, it's nice they added in Ghost Raptor form for Shamans.

But at the same time, they used like a vanilla Raptor model as the base, so it's super ugly, making me never wanting to use it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
People that bitch about 'maintainence buffs' when you've only got like one or two that are core to the class, I can't stand that shit.
Why pretend that it's fun? These things should change over the years. There is nothing inherently wrong with a self-buff, but when the window is too long it's just going to be an ability that's mandatory without really delivering feedback. Savage Roar is one of the most egregious examples of being a buff that you only notice when it's missing.

Maintenance style buffs carry other problems by introducing long static path to ramp up. Early resources wind up being dedicated to nothing else than establishing that a character is powerful enough to function around where other classes preform. It becomes an arbitrary gate for doing anything else, which is especially harmful to a spec as resource limited at the Feral Druid. This is a problem for DoT classes too...and guess what has both? The Feral Druid.

If WoW's DoT classes actually built to something it'd be fine, but they don't have the highs you get on something like FFXIV's Summoner, where the DoTs feel more like enablers rather than just ticking damage sources.
That was neat. Seems like the Dwarves might have some of the strongest lore out the Alliance races heading into Legion given what's happening.
I wish, but it's Night Elves and nothing else is even close.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
This seems quite cool, great for more value during the weeks leading up to Legion launch:

To clarify, the return of Magni, Khadgar's visit to Karazhan, the Council of Six, the defense of Dalaran and summoning of Alodi events will take place during the weeks leading up to Legion's launch. Each week, more of the story will be revealed.

Players logging in after Legion's launch will see what you see when you start a new character on the beta today. You will progress from the Broken Shore, through the aftermath and introduction of the Illidari, then immediately get a missive from Khadgar telling you that Dalaran is about to teleport.

Players that missed these stories as they were played out in-game over the pre-launch weeks can request to see them from Archivist Elysiana in Dalaran at any time.
Source: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/20745036344#3

ZenaxPure

I guess this kinda confirms DHs won't be available immediately on pre-patch, but maybe a week or two after at the earliest.

Eh like I mentioned last time this came up the final quest you get as part of the demon hunter quest experience is basically the same quest you get as non demon hunter classes, which all takes place directly after the Broken Shore event. It wouldn't make any sense for demon hunters to be active until around the same time that scenario is on live servers unless they went in and completely redid the end of that questing experience.

I'd expect the class to go live when the scenario goes live or shortly after.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Magni returning and some of the other stuff in the alliance has been the first time I've been interested in the Alliance side of the story in quite some time. I always liked Moira's parts in MOP.

Top Bottom