• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Boogdud

This contest has not been going over well on reddit.

I don't know why people are upset.

I have your program installed on my computer, I open the launcher to play the game and see a link to a cool announcement, announcing a vague something awesome that will happen in 24 hours!

I click the launcher, to open their company webpage, which tells me a little more.

I check the company website ~24 hours later to see what exciting thing might happen.

I am told to use another service that I don't necessarily use or even want to use, to follow people I don't want to follow, in order to use yet another service/site (neither of which has anything to do with blizzard or wow) I don't want to use, in order to watch these people that I have no interest in during all hours of the day to get a clue in order to enter a contest to maaaaybe get a beta key *that I opted-in for ages ago*.

It's gold Jerry! GOLD

Seriously, why do they even bother letting people opt-in for beta when they seem to just give them to vendors/obnoxious streamers/web personalities and make me fish for them through them.

I'm waiting for the opt in screen to start having a checkbox for twitter and twitch at this point.

Lomax

So I made the mistake of posting in a certain mmochamp thread, and I thought I'd ask you guys:

Just anecdotally, did you or anyone you actually know (RL or b.net friends/guildies) end up unsubscribing from WoD due entirely or predominantly to not being able to fly? I find it utterly impossible to believe that the "noflynobuy" crowd is anything other than an incredibly vocal, but incredibly small minority. Out of all of the people I have played WoW with, I know literally zero who played WoD and even mentioned flying as a reason for unsubbing at any point since its launch. With all of the actual, content-related problems WoD had, I just can't believe that any meaningful amount of people decided "man this expansion is pretty shitty in almost every regard, but it would totally be worth playing if I was able to afk floating over my garrison than being on the ground." And I doubly can't believe that any meaningful amount of people can be intrigued and interested in Legion but decide not to buy it because of not being able to fly immediately.

I'm convinced that it's confirmation bias and echo-chamber nonsense. Now please confirm my bias by agreeing with me in this echo chamber.

Well considering Blizzard caved pretty quickly on the hard line and eventually put in flying, it's really impossible to get a real answer to your question. Given that the majority of the glamour mounts are flying mounts (and running around on the ground with them looks dumb), removing flying entirely always seemed stupid to me, and I'm glad the complaining made them change their mind. Delayed flying is fine, and I doubt many people aren't buying Legion in the beginning because there won't be flying (I'm not buying it because it's stupidly expensive compared to buying steam games and bundles). But if it takes until the very last content patch to get it, you're going to hear grumbling again. I love the account wide unlock though, every time I go back to Pandaria on an alt without flying there I curse a little.

ampere

Part 1 of Broken Isles Pathfinder is thus:

Fully explore all zones in Broken Isles
Complete the Broken Isles zone questlines
Complete your Order Hall questline
Complete 100 World Quests
Earn Revered with the six Broken Isles factions

All this can be done in 7.0 and doing so will award faster mount speed in the Broken Isles.

It's kinda cool that you get a perk from it even before flying is available. I can't find the % increase spell anywhere though.

The real time sinks for that are the last three, I'm sure I'll finish exploring all the zones and doing all the quests pretty fast.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Part 1 of Broken Isles Pathfinder is thus:

Fully explore all zones in Broken Isles
Complete the Broken Isles zone questlines
Complete your Order Hall questline
Complete 100 World Quests
Earn Revered with the six Broken Isles factions

All this can be done in 7.0 and doing so will award faster mount speed in the Broken Isles.

Account-wide again I assume?

So I made the mistake of posting in a certain mmochamp thread, and I thought I'd ask you guys:

Just anecdotally, did you or anyone you actually know (RL or b.net friends/guildies) end up unsubscribing from WoD due entirely or predominantly to not being able to fly?
No. In fact I thought it was pretty refreshing to use my ground mounts again. I love flying mounts but even I know their introduction back in TBC has pretty much ruined the game in terms of exploration and world pvp.

JSoup

Banned
Not surprised. Has Blizzard always had a hard-on for using streamers for promoting the game?

At least since last Summer when they started adding streamer content links to the bnet loader. People complained, the comment back was "that's nice, you're wrong".

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Luckily (I guess?) Amazon prime 20% discount makes the physical CE essentially the same price as the digital, so it's a pretty easy purchase.

But then you have the fuckery of having to double dip for early demon hunter access or midnight launch if that's super important to you. You end up getting a CD key back, but still kind of a pain.

Luckily (I guess?) Amazon prime 20% discount makes the physical CE essentially the same price as the digital, so it's a pretty easy purchase.

But then you have the fuckery of having to double dip for early demon hunter access or midnight launch if that's super important to you. You end up getting a CD key back, but still kind of a pain.
I don't know why they didn't end up doing some sort of pre-order key for retail/online stores. All of us physical CE folk get left out of the early Demon Hunter access.

Just gonna grab the regular digital myself, as I did for Mists and Warlords.

The mount is nice, but I can always upgrade later to buy it if I want to.

Midnight access is usually pretty important to me, and I need early access to Demon Hunter since I'll be main switching. Not that the starting experience takes long - maybe 2 hours, but setting up all the professions/bags/etc. will require some time.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Just gonna grab the regular digital myself, as I did for Mists and Warlords.

The mount is nice, but I can always upgrade later to buy it if I want to.

Midnight access is usually pretty important to me, and I need early access to Demon Hunter since I'll be main switching. Not that the starting experience takes long - maybe 2 hours, but setting up all the professions/bags/etc. will require some time.
Yeah I'll probably main switch too since Warlock looks RIP in Legion :/

Hoping I can do all the pre events and quest line with the DH too.

Fjordson

Yeah, I hopped on the Prime discount for the physical CE. I haven't bought one since Wrath, but I miss the boxes tbh.

But not being able to hop on at midnight definitely sucks. Not sure how it would work logistically, but really wish they could somehow activate your account if you had a physical copy on the way.

ampere

Digital Deluxe edition doesn't seem super worth it.

Just 20 bucks for an kinda cool mount.

I had it pre-ordered and decided to refund it awhile back. Probably just going to get the plain digital version for the DH early access, but the pet is adorable so idk.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Yeah I'll probably main switch too since Warlock looks RIP in Legion :/

I'm more disillusioned with the classes prospects for Legion on a daily basis. Destruction looks reasonably effective, but is also not all that exciting. It's crazy how much they seem to have botched Demo, though. They took something that sounded amazing thematically and just fumbled the execution so hard. One of your main rotational abilities (Summon Dreadstalker) isn't even worth casting unless you have specific talents and artifact traits because its damage is not worth the cast time or soul shard cost by itself. The spell you cast more than any other save shadowbolt/Demonbolt (and it's probably pretty close) is just a short-duration pet buff that you have to cast after literally every pet summon (at least twice ever ~12 seconds). The ramp up time is probably the worst of any spec in the game and is exacerbated by the fact that you start every encounter with 1 soul shard by default.

Basically it's just a whole lot of "Blizzard, why did you choose to do this?" There's a lot about Legion I am looking forward to but I'm pretty irritated at the current state of warlocks and Demo specifically, and I was actually really looking forward to the new direction of the spec.

Lomax

Glad you posted about this background download, or I would have wondered where in the hell 20 GB of my almost full SSD had disappeared to.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I'm more disillusioned with the classes prospects for Legion on a daily basis. Destruction looks reasonably effective, but is also not all that exciting. It's crazy how much they seem to have botched Demo, though. They took something that sounded amazing thematically and just fumbled the execution so hard. One of your main rotational abilities (Summon Dreadstalker) isn't even worth casting unless you have specific talents and artifact traits because its damage is not worth the cast time or soul shard cost by itself. The spell you cast more than any other save shadowbolt/Demonbolt (and it's probably pretty close) is just a short-duration pet buff that you have to cast after literally every pet summon (at least twice ever ~12 seconds). The ramp up time is probably the worst of any spec in the game and is exacerbated by the fact that you start every encounter with 1 soul shard by default.

Basically it's just a whole lot of "Blizzard, why did you choose to do this?" There's a lot about Legion I am looking forward to but I'm pretty irritated at the current state of warlocks and Demo specifically, and I was actually really looking forward to the new direction of the spec.
Yeah but then again SPrist seems like a better affli than affli locks right now.

Honestly it's such a mess of a class I don't even know if it's good or bad but all round it's all boring no matter the spec now.

Tacitus_

Well... shit. I was thinking of hopping to the beta at some point to test demo but that took the wind out of my sails.

Azzurri

As soon as I saw what Destro looked like a few months back I decided to roll a Rogue. At least it seems like all three specs are pretty viable in PvP and PvE; although you would never guess that reading the beta class forums threads Lol.

ampere

Destro's artifact though...
/drool

And the floating head thing for Demo is nice too. As for gameplay... I never play Locks so it might suck.

Strimei

So now it seems the pre-patch has been removed from the background downloader.

Get the feeling someone at Blizzard flipped a switch before they should've.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
So now it seems the pre-patch has been removed from the background downloader.

Get the feeling someone at Blizzard flipped a switch before they should've.
They're not sitting on a final PTR build so it didn't make a lot of sense...

I bought my Moose run on Friday for 25k.

I'm like 2k gold away from making my money back. It's the fastest I've ever made gold in WoW, I figured it'd take me a month.

I guess I should try to make money more often.

Khezu

Kinda sad that weird catman form Druids have is going away completely for Legion.
I know Druids loathed it, but I liked the way it looked.

I would say it should come back as a minor glyph or something, but Blizzard hates anything remotely interesting or fun.

Robin64

When everyone said the pre-patch was available, my bnet client wouldn't download it. Now people say the patch has stopped being sent out, mine has started downloading it.

Nista

It's kinda cool that you get a perk from it even before flying is available. I can't find the % increase spell anywhere though.

The real time sinks for that are the last three, I'm sure I'll finish exploring all the zones and doing all the quests pretty fast.

Getting revered with all factions will take quite a while with the way that they've nerfed the Nightfallen rep gains into the ground. I really wish we had dungeon faction gains with tabards or championing to make people want to run more heroics, there's going to be a lack of tanks and healers again once they have the ilevel off of world questing to move to mythics.

Strimei

How's Mage doing in Legion beta?

I haven't done too much in beta (I don't want to burn myself out there. I'm already sick to death of the Broken Shore scenario after running it a dozen or so times) but I have leveled a bit as an Arcane Mage and for the most part feels about the same as on live.

Bit annoying to have Supernova be one charge, though, and, least last I tried it (its been a little while, life's been busy), it hit like a wet noodle. Been trying to get Blizzard's attention about it.

I'm happy that, at least, the artifact ability, Mark of Aluneth, was changed to sticking on the target, because it was real annoying to use otherwise. Even though that meant it lost the slowing component, its much better now.

Milennia

How's Mage doing in Legion beta?

Arcane and fire are in a good place, frost is a mess that changes each build at this point.

Go to altered-time.com for all the mage information

Ive done all the raid testing and leveled 2 mages so far in legion and im not unhappy, most of my complaints have been addressed outside of legendary effectiveness
(speaking in terms of fire and arcane, as i said frost is a mess)

Shahadan

Getting revered with all factions will take quite a while with the way that they've nerfed the Nightfallen rep gains into the ground. I really wish we had dungeon faction gains with tabards or championing to make people want to run more heroics, there's going to be a lack of tanks and healers again once they have the ilevel off of world questing to move to mythics.

Well the tabard thing should only come later in an xpac life as catch up mechanic, not the primary mean to get rep. Having it at the start would just make people chain dungeons until they're done and then never again.

Robin64

That stupid blue piece of crap following me around all the time is what puts me off Frost Mage. I don't even know if the talent to remove that from the spec is still in, but I hope so.

Top Bottom