• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Shahadan

That stupid blue piece of crap following me around all the time is what puts me off Frost Mage. I don't even know if the talent to remove that from the spec is still in, but I hope so.

But that's like half the reason to be a frost mage in the first place. :|

Robin64

But that's like half the reason to be a frost mage in the first place. :|

If I wanted a pet I'd play hunter or warlock. I like frost mage in other games, I like the fantasy, but that blue blob is a nuisance. Happy Legion still has the talent.

Nista

Well the tabard thing should only come later in an xpac life as catch up mechanic, not the primary mean to get rep. Having it at the start would just make people chain dungeons until they're done and then never again.

Yeah, but it's at least fairer to the squishier classes who can't easily farm the mana and do the Training scenario over and over for rep tokens. That's far more tedious and antisocial than helping people with dungeon runs.

Khezu

That stupid blue piece of crap following me around all the time is what puts me off Frost Mage. I don't even know if the talent to remove that from the spec is still in, but I hope so.

It is.

Personally I think they have it backwards though.

Water Elemental should go back to being a DPS cooldown, with a talent to make it perma.

Water Elemental's are iconic for mages, but it makes annoying sounds, and it is way too passive and useless to be a permanent thing.

Milennia

It is.

Personally I think they have it backwards though.

Water Elemental should go back to being a DPS cooldown, with a talent to make it perma.

Water Elemental's are iconic for mages, but it makes annoying sounds, and it is way too passive and useless to be a permanent thing.

frost mage doesnt need 2 press and forget cooldowns

Dungeons don't grant rep in Legion? That was one of the dumber things in WoD. Restricting rep gain to a periodic event, making them largely checkpoints for specific ilvl gear, not having transmog gear (regular gear versions of raid sets), rep or mounts to farm left them obsolete once people hit a certain ilvl. You had to build an inn to get dungeon quests and there were only a few quests tied to the early stages of the ring.

I spent more time in TBC farming dungeons for the White Hawkstrider and Raven Lord than I did playing all WoD dungeons combined.

I guess the periodic event might keep them sort of active longer but having stuff worth gaining from them would help viable for longer. I'm still playing through older expansions dungeons and simply will pass through WoD ones while leveling and that's it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Legion already has systems in place for dungeons to be played over and over with rewards that are more interesting than static rep grinds. If they gave rep too there'd be too heavy a focus on running dungeons.

Azzurri

You know what class looks really fun and powerful? Fire Mage. I mained a frost mage in Vanilla, and loved it. It looks like Legion Mages are really fun this time around.

erawsd

Dungeons don't grant rep in Legion? That was one of the dumber things in WoD. Restricting rep gain to a periodic event, making them largely checkpoints for specific ilvl gear, not having transmog gear (regular gear versions of raid sets), rep or mounts to farm left them obsolete once people hit a certain ilvl. You had to build an inn to get dungeon quests and there were only a few quests tied to the early stages of the ring.

I spent more time in TBC farming dungeons for the White Hawkstrider and Raven Lord than I did playing all WoD dungeons combined.

I guess the periodic event might keep them sort of active longer but having stuff worth gaining from them would help viable for longer. I'm still playing through older expansions dungeons and simply will pass through WoD ones while leveling and that's it.

Nah dungeons dont give rep. World Quests are where you'll grind out rep, which does include Dungeon based quests though.

Fjordson

Man sometimes I'm reminded of how I wish item lvl didn't exist. I'm 712, but I can never get into mythic dungeon groups.

Thought I might try to get one of those heirloom trinkets, but I forgot people just want mythic geared carries for any kinda content these days. Anything lower than that and you're getting turned away majority of the time.

Man sometimes I'm reminded of how I wish item lvl didn't exist. I'm 712, but I can never get into mythic dungeon groups.

Thought I might try to get one of those heirloom trinkets, but I forgot people just want mythic geared carries for any kinda content these days. Anything lower than that and you're getting turned away majority of the time.
Yeah I'm in the same boat. Granted I'm 697 right now but still I think I'm pretty much screwed now unless I find a guild who actually wants to do stuff.

Fjordson

Yeah I'm in the same boat. Granted I'm 697 right now but still I think I'm pretty much screwed now unless I find a guild who actually wants to do stuff.
It's incredibly annoying.

What's weird is I was able to pug everything in Mists save for Mythic Garrosh, but in WoD anything past heroic 5 mans have been a struggle to find a group for. Not quite sure why.

Tarazet

I might finally be able to stomach giving up enough mats to make the Sunstone and Jade Panthers. Farming Heart of Fear and getting piles of Trillium and Motes of Harmony, still having a capped Alchemist, Jewelcrafter and Miner/Smelter.. suddenly my decisions are looking pretty good!

I'm really looking forward to archaeology not being total shit in Legion.

Legion already has systems in place for dungeons to be played over and over with rewards that are more interesting than static rep grinds. If they gave rep too there'd be too heavy a focus on running dungeons.

Nah dungeons dont give rep. World Quests are where you'll grind out rep, which does include Dungeon based quests though.

So long as it's an improvement over what they did with WoD's dungeons. Timewalking was a great addition and had pretty decent rewards from gear catch-up to mounts to toys and old rep catch-up.

Ashodin

YES FINALLY OMG

pwXr547.jpg

Kard8p3

hmm, unsure of what to roll with, either rogue or ??. I have a 100 warlock but I was never super fond of him, and a few people are talking about how they're not super good, lmao.

Help me decide GAF

Lanrutcon

YES FINALLY OMG

pwXr547.jpg

What? Pathfinder? It takes all of 11 days, casual :p

hmm, unsure of what to roll with, either rogue or ??. I have a 100 warlock but I was never super fond of him, and a few people are talking about how they're not super good, lmao.

Help me decide GAF

So Warlocks aren't bad. Demo has issues, Affliction has the same design it's had for ages (and thus the same problems), and Destro looks to be the most functional of the three (but isn't that exciting). What everyone needs to keep in mind though, is that class balance is going to be a rollercoaster for the first month or three. Looking at the current numbers is very misleading.

Micapo

It is frustrating. I have 715 and get turned down quite often but a pretty easy solution is to create the group yourself and allow people with lower ilvl to join you. It's not like M dungeons are that hard anyway. Viva la revolucion!

Jindrax

Guys I wanna get into world of warcraft since I have waaaaaay too much free time so I have a few questions.

1 battlenetstore gives me two options, WoW for 15 bucks and pre-order legion.
Does buying that 15€ game give me everything besides the last expantion?

2. What's WOW battlechest I'm seeing that on a few other websites.

3. how long does it take to get max level?

4. Is starting playing this alone a bad idea? Should I try to convince some friends?

TheYanger

Guys I wanna get into world of warcraft since I have waaaaaay too much free time so I have a few questions.

4. Is starting playing this alone a bad idea? Should I try to convince some friends?

1. The battle chest is the same as any other copy of wow. Any copy fo the base game includes everything except Legion (even warlords).

2. See 1.

3. For a new player? eh, probably like 10 days of played time. (240 hours). Really just depends on how much you focus on levelling vs just doing what you want.

4. Up to you. There isn't any need to play with other people, doing dungeons is highly recommended but you can also matchmake with random folk for those. That said, making friends is probably important to enjoying it in the long run for most folk (I do know people that almost solely interact with nobody at all though).

How are people making these evaluations on various classes and specs? Have people hit a certain level with their artifacts and gear in the beta?

Raid testing bumps your ilevel up to a set poin t and unlocks all of the traits.

Also the pvp server premades have every trait unlocked.

Lanrutcon

3. As a complete newbie first timer? It completely depends on how frequently you get distracted by other activities. If your new to WoW I'd suggest you enjoy the journey and not rush to max level. Max level will be there waiting for you when you get there.

4. it's easy to find a guild. RL friends make the experience better, but the game has millions of people. You'll find somewhere to fit in.

1. Buying the base World of Warcraft game for 15 would give you everything up to the current expansion Warlords of Draenor (the current expansion.) You'll have to buy that before you buy Legion.

2. The Battle Chest is the base game.

3. All depends on how much you play but leveling in this game is a breeze. Depending on the player it can take a few days to a week and a half. You also get a free level 90 boost character that will get you straight into Warlords of Draenor content but I suggest leveling a character starting from level 1 so you can ease yourself in.

4. You can play the game solo. Of course max level is pretty much group content. Having friends doesn't hurt but it won't hinder your gameplay experience. I'd suggest finding a guild in-game that is welcoming to new players.

The character boost is now to 100 and you get one with a purchase of Legion. I'd suggest playing a class to 60 before using it, just to see if you like the class because you cannot undo a boost. You also get profession bonuses with a level 60 toon.

Shahadan

It's not long to get to current level, but Legion comes with a lvl 100 boost.

HOWEVER, the pre-Legion patch comes out later this month with a buttload of changes to every class (and tbh most likely to make them dull at low level) but also with some sort of trial so you can try a class before boosting.
So in any case I'll suggest waiting for that patch before boosting a character to level 100 to avoid wasting it on a class you won't like.

Playing solo is fine (and more fun imo <_<)

Tecnniqe

Banned
As a new player I suggest leveling the vanilla way, from 1 and up.

After the revamp you unlock talents as you level and have a better flow of understanding how things work and as such will give you pointers to how the class plays out with the selected spec :) not to mention ease into game mechanics.

And don't boost until you hit 60, as you can max professions when you boost at 60 for free!

Robin64

As an old-school player I still like to level things up from. I enjoy the experience anyway, but I do also like being given new abilities one by one, slowly, and not being given the entire toolkit and told to figure it out.

But then I enjoy the questing/levelling process more than endgame anyway, though that might change with World Quests.

Lanrutcon

No way is that doable in 11 days ffs, unless you play 10 hours a day. The rep grind and lack of dailies to gain the rep in the first place takes ages. Good job on achieving it though, enjoy the freedom of flight.

Apologies. It's 12 days.

The rep grind is over in 12 days. The other cheevos can be comfortably done with a few hours play each of those 12 days.

Shahadan

As an old-school player I still like to level things up from. I enjoy the experience anyway, but I do also like being given new abilities one by one, slowly, and not being given the entire toolkit and told to figure it out.
Yeah but that was before. I miss unlocking new spells ;(

Interfectum

But then I enjoy the questing/levelling process more than endgame anyway, though that might change with World Quests.

Agreed.

I think boosting from level 1 is a mistake because you don't get any attachment to your character. Everything feels unearned. I'd def tell everyone to at least level to 60, get a feel for the class and skills, gain some attachment to what you are playing, grab two professions, then boost.

My plan right now is to level a few classes to 60 and see if any appeal to me more than the ones I currently have at max (DK, Hunter, Druid) and boost the one I like best. Currently working on Mage and Shaman. Considering Warrior. Leveling is the most fun part of the game. :D

Tarazet

WoW for 15€ on the website gives you all of the expansions. Preordering Legion is an extra and gives you a free level 100 boost. If you've played MMO's before, such as Final Fantasy XIV or SW:ToR, you'll find that you're in familiar territory as they are essentially WoW clones. Having that familiarity would largely negate the issues that come with, say, Refer a Friend, or the substantial experience buffs that you get when playing a Monk.

If you haven't played MMO's before, it's a fairly steep learning curve and there is a lot to the game that veteran players take for granted. In 2010 it was reported that only 30% of players in WoW ever made it past level 10. That's around the same time that I started myself. The game can seem rather primitive, tedious, and daunting, especially if your first exposure to it is, say, the Night Elf starting zone, or the maze that is Stormwind. It can take a while to warm to it, especially if you chose a class that doesn't shine when leveling up. I chose Balance Druid, which is a spec that feels horrible and gutless if not well geared, so I didn't have a great time at first. It took me a while to warm to the game.

The first time through WoW I didn't go into a single dungeon, and I think I was better off for that. They're a good tool for an experienced player to bypass the early content, and later on, you can buy adaptive "heirloom" gear that give you both substantial experience gains and appropriate stats to smash through any dungeons in your level range easily. But if you are still learning the game, you're essentially going to be getting a free carry and not learning anything of much use, because you don't have to deal with the mechanics when bosses are dead in 5 seconds.

Tenebrous

No way is that doable in 11 days ffs, unless you play 10 hours a day. The rep grind and lack of dailies to gain the rep in the first place takes ages. Good job on achieving it though, enjoy the freedom of flight.

It's doable in <24 hours if you have some spare gold.

Explore & Loremaster in <10 hours is easy. Securing Draenor is a few hours doing missives. Master Treasure Hunter is an hour or two with an addon. Tanaan Diplomat is just buying up Medallions.
Yep I just bought Medallions & got exalted with all the factions for no effort. Easy game.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
From Dalaran above Karazhan on the PTR:

Archmage Modera has HD human female base I believe, Jaina is a custom model. Blizzard should definitely consider updating Jaina's model, she doesn't even have eyes.

There was a similar issue with Anduin in Mists of Pandaria. There his character had no eyeballs and he didn't blink (Jaina blinks though). Anduin's model in Legion I believe features eyeballs.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
How are people making these evaluations on various classes and specs? Have people hit a certain level with their artifacts and gear in the beta?

Yes, you can level to 110 in the beta.

Not to mention the raid testing lately has been pretty good with scaling accurately.

It's really important to just play what you want to play and what you find fun gameplay wise and ignore simcrafting. Unless you're in a guild that has people playing all ranged specs or all melee specs with alts, you don't really need to worry about it, everyone will have their niche.

Top Bottom