• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
yeah of course i know of the upcoming trimming and it sounds like pally gets hit pretty hard. to be fair, the first few bgs i played..all in the boosted greens.. holy felt pretty good. i mean after this many years of pvp healing its just the same shit regardless of class, but it did feel good to be a bit closer to the frontline, not having to run around as much as i would on sham or priest.

pally/hunter/druid are the three classes ive never really touched so i wanted a class that can heal/tank/dps for legion. druid isnt fun to mog so pally it was. all i see is people bitching about ret though which makes me sad. though i dont think i ever accepted lolret as viable since vanilla.

I have the same issue as Lomax. I had to just move WoW off my SSD because I ran out of space with the 20gb pre-patch download. I'll move it back after the patch comes out, I guess.

Khezu

Speaking of the Shipyard and Garrisons.

Googling the class order halls, it seems they are pretty much Garrisons?

Anyone have any significant impressions on them?

I really don't want to do that mobile phone BS again for another expansion.

Tenebrous

They are Garrisons, and they're pretty much damn near required, especially towards the start of the expansion. My level 107 just got two missions - One for 165 AP, and one for 150 AP... Too much to ignore.

phierce

They are Garrisons, and they're pretty much damn near required, especially towards the start of the expansion. My level 107 just got two missions - One for 165 AP, and one for 150 AP... Too much to ignore.
Just out of curiosity, how much AP have you gotten (or what level is your artifact) at 107?

ampere

They have some Garrison-y missions, but a lot fewer.

It's less bad

biaxident

So come 7.0 follower upgrade item stacks (war ravaged weaponry and such) sell for 1s. But they still come in the old salvage crates (I have like hundreds each on all characters), so is it worth opening the crates now or better to wait for 7.0 which I was planning to do since they auto transmog.

Invert

Neo Member

Yup

I bypassed Garrisons as much as I could, but Order Halls seem much more involved (required) from what I remember in Warlords. Garrisons felt like needless busywork whereas Order Halls are more apart of your characters progression. In order to unlock your third Relic you have to complete the order hall questline. In order to increase your artifact power gains you have to research artifact knowledge.

When you first start powering up your artifact weapon it will feel pretty smooth up until the unlocks cost 1000. After you hit 1000 it will jump up to ~6800. Artifact knowledge helps smooth that out. That being said I personally feel like the Order Halls are less bothersome due to how it directly effects the progression of your character. But you can definitely tell that some of the things you have to do are put in place to slow you down.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I mean, you have a portal to them. They're obviously going to be important, but I haven't seen anything about crafting or gold making requiring them.

Man you get AP's from them?

Ugh.

It gives them a purpose. In Warlords, other than maybe 1 mission a week they were pretty damn optional, and a majority of the missions were non-sense boring crap. Oh yea, I really want to come back every 3 hours to send out followers to get 25 garrison resources or 100g.

f0rk

I'm 3 bars into 108, and I'm around half way towards my 9th artifact talent point.

Probably an obvious question, but you can put the points into any artifact regardless of the spec your playing at the time right?

I'm not sure whether to stick with my Warlock or level a healer ready for Legion. I'm thinking Paladin but it having to manage two sets of gear for soloing as Ret and Holy would be annoying.

Probably an obvious question, but you can put the points into any artifact regardless of the spec your playing at the time right?

I'm not sure whether to stick with my Warlock or level a healer ready for Legion. I'm thinking Paladin but it having to manage two sets of gear for soloing as Ret and Holy would be annoying.

The items that grant AP always go into your currently equipped artifact. So yeah, you can bank them if you want.

TheYanger

The class order halls are different from garrisons in many key ways, the actual interface used to operate your order hall table is obviously the same, but someone that is level 107 sending 2 missions out is hardly the same as what garrisons had wrong with them.

A) Those 105 artifact power rewards are hardly 'required' - that's actually damn near nothing. By the time you hit 110 you'll be nearing on your 14th artifact rank. At that point it starts costing thousands per point. Your 14th point costs more than 1-13 combined, in fact. So, no, they're not actually necessary like you're saying.

B) You only have 6 champions at any given time. Compare this to 25 with your garrison hall. The micromanagement required to sustain your champions is very minor

C) Min/maxxing who you send on what is almost nonexistent, the ability to beat any mission is trivial and is helped by your non-champion troops, which give flat % bonus finish rates to any mission, they just don't counter negatives. Negatives now have actual penalties rather than just 'have to beat them' like the garrison table. IE: extra mission duration, extra cost, etc. This means you spend less time looking at a table figuring out who to send, you've only got like 3-6 troops to choose from anyway and you can just fill in with 30% throwaway units any time you want.

D) The amount of missions you get are miniscule, due to having less units partly. The problem with garrisons was never the basic gameplay of the table, that shit is fine, the problem was spending time interacting with it every 30 minutes to min/max the gains, sending dozens of missions at a time, levelling and equipping 20 guys, and most importantly a lack of world content to do - the table WAS your content. NBobody minded it in the beta for warlords because when you're levelling in the beta it's kind of a fun distraction, its problem wasn't apparent until you were max level with nothing else to do.

E) You do have to level your guys again - but it's VERY quick. I levelled a 103 follower (from my low level mission rewards) to 110 in just a handfull of missions. They have an ilevel but it's not a complex armor/weapon system, it's just "+5 ilevels" as an item you use on them. sometimes +10. Their equipment slots are for equipment that do ACTUAL things and are interesting, essentially replacing traits from the garrison table, instead these guys have like a class, an ability, a weird inherant trait, and equipment that you choose yourself. The level of interaction between it all is significantly less complex and it all means you spend less time min/max figuring out wtf to do with them and instead just...send them.

F) The amount of time you spend min/maxxing your table if you choose to, is literally juts logging in and looking at it when you log in. More than that is possible if you want, especially if you're playing 12+ hour days, but it's not necessary. I've spent more time doing my order hall questline than I have looking at the class hall table.

G) No buildings. No micromanagement of anything else. Literally just a table with a quarter as many champions.

And related to all of the above, I started to go in on it but I'll save the main point for last:
The garrison table itself was never a problem. It's a reasonable minigame that just took too much of the expansion's focus at the expense of player engagement elsewhere. I get that people see the table and go "OMG ITS GARRISONS AGAIN" but it's not, if you only ever played warlords like this:

Log in, go to your garrison, send some missions, go do world quests and dungeons and pvp and whatever else for the rest of your play session, MAYBE check on the garrison again before you log out if you've been on long enough

Nobody would have ever complained about garrisons, because what you did with them wasn't unfun trash.

That's what Legion is like. It's easy to tell what you should be doing next in your order hall, it's worthwhile because the reason you do it is to get more class quests and advance your storyline, not just to level your garrison up or whatever, and you spend the rest of your time out doing shit. You don't evne have enough resources at your order hall to want to afk there like in warlords, people will be in Dalaran , absolutely.

The artifact power gains from them aren't meaningless, but they're not any different than you get doing anything else (they scale with artifact knowledge), when you get one of those a day, MAYBE, it's a far cry from 30 missions with varying rewards.

EDIT: Here, I made a video of me start to finish logging into beta, going to my order hall, doing everything there you need to do for the day, and leaving. 75% of this video is me waiting for a fucking graphic of an object to load, because fuck my hard drive on beta apparently. https://youtu.be/yx3vKEi4E10 If this doesn't alleviate some concerns then nothing will, the two things are night and day. the end of the video is me going to dalaran to go out in the world and do those world quests.

biaxident

Minimal missions isn't all that bad, but I know most of us just have that predisposition to hate them cause of WoD. Still don't like the fact it's required to progress, just make it purely optional, have a different way to unlock that 3rd relic slot imo.

carlsojo

The class order halls are different from garrisons in many key ways, the actual interface used to operate your order hall table is obviously the same, but someone that is level 107 sending 2 missions out is hardly the same as what garrisons had wrong with them.

A) Those 105 artifact power rewards are hardly 'required' - that's actually damn near nothing. By the time you hit 110 you'll be nearing on your 14th artifact rank. At that point it starts costing thousands per point. Your 14th point costs more than 1-13 combined, in fact. So, no, they're not actually necessary like you're saying.

B) You only have 6 champions at any given time. Compare this to 25 with your garrison hall. The micromanagement required to sustain your champions is very minor

C) Min/maxxing who you send on what is almost nonexistent, the ability to beat any mission is trivial and is helped by your non-champion troops, which give flat % bonus finish rates to any mission, they just don't counter negatives. Negatives now have actual penalties rather than just 'have to beat them' like the garrison table. IE: extra mission duration, extra cost, etc. This means you spend less time looking at a table figuring out who to send, you've only got like 3-6 troops to choose from anyway and you can just fill in with 30% throwaway units any time you want.

D) The amount of missions you get are miniscule, due to having less units partly. The problem with garrisons was never the basic gameplay of the table, that shit is fine, the problem was spending time interacting with it every 30 minutes to min/max the gains, sending dozens of missions at a time, levelling and equipping 20 guys, and most importantly a lack of world content to do - the table WAS your content. NBobody minded it in the beta for warlords because when you're levelling in the beta it's kind of a fun distraction, its problem wasn't apparent until you were max level with nothing else to do.

E) You do have to level your guys again - but it's VERY quick. I levelled a 103 follower (from my low level mission rewards) to 110 in just a handfull of missions. They have an ilevel but it's not a complex armor/weapon system, it's just "+5 ilevels" as an item you use on them. sometimes +10. Their equipment slots are for equipment that do ACTUAL things and are interesting, essentially replacing traits from the garrison table, instead these guys have like a class, an ability, a weird inherant trait, and equipment that you choose yourself. The level of interaction between it all is significantly less complex and it all means you spend less time min/max figuring out wtf to do with them and instead just...send them.

F) The amount of time you spend min/maxxing your table if you choose to, is literally juts logging in and looking at it when you log in. More than that is possible if you want, especially if you're playing 12+ hour days, but it's not necessary. I've spent more time doing my order hall questline than I have looking at the class hall table.

G) No buildings. No micromanagement of anything else. Literally just a table with a quarter as many champions.

And related to all of the above, I started to go in on it but I'll save the main point for last:
The garrison table itself was never a problem. It's a reasonable minigame that just took too much of the expansion's focus at the expense of player engagement elsewhere. I get that people see the table and go "OMG ITS GARRISONS AGAIN" but it's not, if you only ever played warlords like this:

Log in, go to your garrison, send some missions, go do world quests and dungeons and pvp and whatever else for the rest of your play session, MAYBE check on the garrison again before you log out if you've been on long enough

Nobody would have ever complained about garrisons, because what you did with them wasn't unfun trash.

That's what Legion is like. It's easy to tell what you should be doing next in your order hall, it's worthwhile because the reason you do it is to get more class quests and advance your storyline, not just to level your garrison up or whatever, and you spend the rest of your time out doing shit. You don't evne have enough resources at your order hall to want to afk there like in warlords, people will be in Dalaran , absolutely.

The artifact power gains from them aren't meaningless, but they're not any different than you get doing anything else (they scale with artifact knowledge), when you get one of those a day, MAYBE, it's a far cry from 30 missions with varying rewards.

EDIT: Here, I made a video of me start to finish logging into beta, going to my order hall, doing everything there you need to do for the day, and leaving. 75% of this video is me waiting for a fucking graphic of an object to load, because fuck my hard drive on beta apparently. https://youtu.be/yx3vKEi4E10 If this doesn't alleviate some concerns then nothing will, the two things are night and day. the end of the video is me going to dalaran to go out in the world and do those world quests.

Thanks for this post, man. Very informative. Hopefully it will alleviate some people's fears.

phierce

Minimal missions isn't all that bad, but I know most of us just have that predisposition to hate them cause of WoD. Still don't like the fact it's required to progress, just make it purely optional, have a different way to unlock that 3rd relic slot imo.

If the class halls ='d garrisons AND yielded the same gold, I would welcome it with open arms. That said, I'm happy it's not the same.

ampere

Yeah, people are over exaggerating how bad it is, but I understand being frustrated and not trusting the devs after WoD. They really have to re-earn people's trust and actually provide steady content over the course of Legion.

Khezu

I guess it's nice it's no that bad, I just find it weird that it exists in any form what so ever.

The backlash against Garrisons was so strong I figured they would have cut anything similar in concept.

Instead it almost feels like they are doubling down because people didn't like it.

There is nothing positive about this form of gameplay, there is no fun what so ever. It's the worst kind of grinding. I don't even get that nice feeling of watching numbers go up, or wining something from a Gacha like in other mobile experiences.

TheYanger

I guess it's nice it's no that bad, I just find it weird that it exists in any form what so ever.

The backlash against Garrisons was so strong I figured they would have cut anything similar in concept.

Instead it almost feels like they are doubling down because people didn't like it.

There is nothing positive about this form of gameplay, there is no fun what so ever. It's the worst kind of grinding. I don't even get that nice feeling of watching numbers go up, or wining something from a Gacha like in other mobile experiences.

I and most anyone else you talked to when Wod beta was going on thought the garrison table was a reasonably fun little mini game, I prefer it to say, pet battles for example.

ampere

Talking smack about pet battles!?

:p

I love the collection aspect of pets, but I think the battles are just OK and not amazing. Leveling them is a bit too grindy as well.

Tarazet

There's a load of people in my Brawler's Guild right now, all trying and failing to beat this guy.

Nobody even gets close. :\

I got Ahoo'ru down earlier tonight, took me ~10 tries as a 696 Balance Druid. The first time I got all of the angels to drop his stacks and got him on the screen by himself, I hit my cooldowns, used Drums and he went down easily. There was an Affliction Lock doing it with me and it took him a lot longer, but he did eventually get it done.

Afterwards, I did the bosses for the Now You're Just Showing Off achievement and they were all easier than Ahoo'ru.

Strimei

There are people who actually like the garrison mission system. I'm one such, though I'll definitely agree it was a bit too much in WoD. But I still enjoy sending units out on missions and such, if you can believe it. I start to think up storylines for them and backgrounds and nerd out.

I'm also not surprised that it came back in some form. Blizzard reuses systems where possible and useful. The system itself is quite useful and they've tailored it to be better in Legion.

erawsd

I leveled up to 110 on beta and my experience is true to what Yanger has said. Yes youll want to engage with the OH but its pretty innocuous.

The key distinction is that the OH is entirely complementary. If you arent out in the world questing, gathering/crafting, and running instances you wont get anywhere and you will have very little in Legion.

To put the AP mission into perspective: It would net me 2800AP and itll take ~6hrs to complete thanks to the 20% speed bonus I have. Meanwhile, there are currently 8 World Quests available that reward everything from 2800-5200 AP and will take 5mins each to complete. Or I can hop in a quick dungeon run and get around 7000AP. The Gold and Rep rewards fall into a similar space. You can make 500g in 11hrs.. or just do a handful of world quests and make 3x that in 30minutes.

The cache is the only worthwhile reward. However, unlike WoD, it isnt just a box you open with free loot inside. Instead, you get a quest item from completing the mission that tasks you with going into a specific dungeon/raid and killing a boss to get the cache. So to get the actual loot you gotta do more than just "play a facebook game".

Shahadan

The problem with garrisons certainly wasn't the mission table. People complained about the chores they "had" to do every day like the garden or mines, orders and how they affected crafting and the economy.

Missions can be cool. I know for sure I logged in only because my missions were up a lot of times.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
so I tested out the waters on buying gold legit (i.e. wow token) when I first came back from the movie... apparently I should have bought more. prices have dropped almost 10K since then. It would seem likely that between the movie and the expansion lots of people are coming back and grabbing some quick cash. damn.

don't hate me. I have way more money than time to grind out gold. �� But almost 50K for $20 was way better than almost 40K.

the garrison backlash actually wasn't for anything you mention. It was for

a) gatherer's bitching that Blizz just killed their economy while
b) non-gatherer's bitching that Blizz is "forcing them" to login every day.

The other part being that blizzard killed the capital city aspect.. as there was very little reason to ever regularly be in one. combine that with dwindling sub numbers (although granted not right at the start of WOD) and much of the world felt barren after a short time including capital cities.

but whatever. garrisons offered some fun, a change of pace, etc.. for an expansion. hopefully no harm no foul. But Legion "looks" like they took the aspect of garrisons that people liked (missions) and ditched the rest (now a capital city again, shared gathering nodes in the world, gatherers having mostly exclusive access to gathering, etc)

Respect

Hopped on the PTR to check out the pre-patch changes for WW monks...convinced me to come back for legion. Feel like most of the issues have been addressed and it feels alot more like it did at the the end of Mists than WoD (From a PvP perspective at least).

/Hyped

Also was curious, does GAF have a guild?

Dumping all of my WoD crafting mats on the AH. I should have dumped them earlier before the markets tanked.

I think there are a few people still running outdated TSM operations because people are still buying herbs and crap in mass quantities. One guy bought almost 20,000g worth of savage bloods from me. What are you going to do with all those savage bloods in the next couple weeks buddy?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Talking smack about pet battles!?

:p

I love the collection aspect of pets, but I think the battles are just OK and not amazing. Leveling them is a bit too grindy as well.

I love the warcarft 2 music they use. I'm actually looking forward to the coming pet battle event this week to level some dues up. Triple xp is serious business.

Lanrutcon

Blizzard need to stop implementing shit they don't plan on taking forward. They should have gone all in on Garrisons, made them expandable customisable player housing that serve as big fancy trophy cases for all the shit you've accomplished in WoW from Vanilla.

No-one liked their half assed copy paste implementation, and now we have Garrison-lite on the horizon.

Bet everyone a buck that Artifacts only last an expansion.

Shahadan

I'm starting to get worried about tomes of illusions on my server. People don't seem aware of them for now and materials are cheap as fuck at the AH.

I watched the AH closely for a few days and for example there was only 8 sha crystals there at 14 gold a piece :lol:

Maybe I should just buy everything and put it back for 500 gold a piece to artificially inflate the prices so people will buy my tomes for a few thousands. Hmm.

ampere

Bet everyone a buck that Artifacts only last an expansion.

They're only supposed to last this expac...

The point is that you get to keep the appearances that you unlock and use them later on

I'm starting to get worried about tomes of illusions on my server. People don't seem aware of them for now and materials are cheap as fuck at the AH.

I watched the AH closely for a few days and for example there was only 8 sha crystals there at 14 gold a piece :lol:

Maybe I should just buy everything and put it back for 500 gold a piece to artificially inflate the prices so people will buy my tomes for a few thousands. Hmm.

I collected the mats to make 1 of each for myself awhile back, decided it was too much effort to buy more and try to sell them. Could be very profitable though

Shahadan

I collected the mats to make 1 of each for myself awhile back, decided it was too much effort to buy more and try to sell them. Could be very profitable though

I decided not to bother at first but I realized I had the mats to make many of each of them from leftovers across my 10 characters for zero effort, so now I kinda want to make money :lol:

Problem is, if the mats are like 500g total at the AH, why would people bother to buy an expensive tome instead ;(

Peachpies

Dumping all of my WoD crafting mats on the AH. I should have dumped them earlier before the markets tanked.

I think there are a few people still running outdated TSM operations because people are still buying herbs and crap in mass quantities. One guy bought almost 20,000g worth of savage bloods from me. What are you going to do with all those savage bloods in the next couple weeks buddy?
How much were you selling them for?

If you sold them for less than 50g a piece you made a mistake. As that's vendor price. Even exactly at 50 or slightly higher I would buy for tomes, though probably not 20k worth.

Shahadan

I'm curren tly in dragon soul, some bug makes my server latency high as fuck and I'm whole minutes behind the actual fight, which has been over for 10 minutes. Someone killed deathwing and looted, but I'm still there.

At least I could go underwater and visit him a bit. His tentacles are not linked to his body ;(
I entered the hole in his chest, he has no heart. Poor guy!

Edit: now can't connect with any character. Great.

I recently came back to WoW after six years (long story...) and holy shit, you guys, I remember trade chat being a cesspool, but this is really something else. 3-4 people using it as personal chat, rampant racism, wild Trump stumping, rape jokes, violence, etc. And about half the parties I've been in have been as bad or worse - tanks rolling in without a weapon and missing armor, one dude with his RaF account dormant and on follow because fuck everyone else, right? A tank who kept wiping the party and finally admitted it was his brother's account and he had no idea what he was doing. Zero patience or chill - heaven forbid anyone need a five-second break.

I never loved the community, but this has just been really awful.

Robin64

Another week through Dragon Soul and I still don't have one of the three mounts that drop. I see others talking about so many 12-B drops.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I recently came back to WoW after six years (long story...) and holy shit, you guys, I remember trade chat being a cesspool, but this is really something else. 3-4 people using it as personal chat, rampant racism, wild Trump stumping, rape jokes, violence, etc. And about half the parties I've been in have been as bad or worse - tanks rolling in without a weapon and missing armor, one dude with his RaF account dormant and on follow because fuck everyone else, right? A tank who kept wiping the party and finally admitted it was his brother's account and he had no idea what he was doing. Zero patience or chill - heaven forbid anyone need a five-second break.

Wow I've never experienced closely to what you're saying. Shit.

phierce

Yeah...never really experienced anything of this level. Sure, asshole players will be assholes, but this is a lot of shit lol.

For the past few days, trade chat has been all BLM jokes and about how "black people create racism for themselves." Before that, it was vicious anti-Clinton/pro-Trump bullshit, the kind of stuff you see from anonymous Twitter accounts with Trump hat icons. Just really lowest common denominator troll shit. But the party stuff has been egregious, too. My husband re-upped his account too and he was tanking while I was DPS in a party and the healer sat down so he waited a second to go into the next boss in an instance. The healer, who had NO mana (was monk, doing DPS and heals), immediately started yelling GOOOOOO in chat and instigated a kick before he could even react. It was just bizarre. It's all been really bizarre.

Re: the trade chat stuff, I'm on Whisperwind.

Their experience is pretty close to what mine has been on Dalaran and Proudmoore. On Dalaran trade chat was a ceasepool filled with rampant racism, sexism, weird half-baked political arguements and just general awfulness, Horde or Alliance, and it's somehow worse on Proudmoore. It's likely because Proudmoore is the unofficial home of WoW's LGBT community so it attracts even more trolls than usual. Reporting doesn't seem to accomplish anything and there's too many people to ignore so leaving the general chat channels is the only viable solution.

I stopped doing group content on Dalaran because of many of the things they mentioned. I haven't encountered that same toxicity/random shittiness in group content on Proudmoore but I haven't been there very long and the guild I joined seemed to die right as I got in. Proudmoore's going to be my Alli server so we'll see how things go once Legion is out and things get more active.

I'm making Hyjal my Horde server and so far it's pretty quiet, even in the cities, which is kind of a nice change of pace. I don't know if that's due to the server population being low, the lull between expansions or a combination of the two but it's a nice change of pace. It's great not having a live stream of youtube comments constantly pumping vitriol into the bottom corner of my screen whenever I enter a city.

"Livestream of YouTube comments" is exactly right. Well said. I've ignored a bunch of people, and reported several, but yeah, it doesn't seem to make much difference. And it's not just kids, unless the people talking about one person's upcoming 40th birthday were all lying.

I keep getting guild invites (I guess that's a standard thing now once you log in?), but I can't imagine joining any guild, much less one whose only criteria for entry is "welp, you managed to log in." At this point, I don't think I'll get the new expansion. I was gonna fool around and see if I felt like coming back, but I can't see staying.

Top Bottom