• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Yeah I hit Outland with characters I'm leveling and end up leaving them there for months at a time, even though it only actually takes a little bit of effort to grind your way through it. It's sad how all the BC nostalgia doesn't really help when it comes time to quest though Hellfire for the 50th time.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I know my guild is moving from TS3 to Discord in the prepatch, so despite my wanting to avoid using it, I guess I've no choice... Maybe I'll pop on.

Anyone wanna raid Mythic HFC on the PTR? I wanna see how the difficulty is.

I honestly am always surprised when I still see people using TS, even Vent. Everyone is on Mumble nowadays, and Discord is getting increasingly popular.

Rösti;209678176 said:
The updated maintenance text on the Battle.net launcher does not give much hope for a surprise release of the pre-expansion patch on July 12/13.

Hey man, they could be super efficient at releases now and don't need that much maintenance. ;)

Robin64

Anyone done normal dungeons on beta? I now have three to do as zone end quests and I get nervous about group content. Just wondering if they are easy or if they're hard because of balance problems right now or something.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Doesn't Blizzard normally announce when the pre-expansion patch hits? Just kind of biding my time now.

They've announced that it is "imminent" and that the current PVP season ends on the 19th. So it's either the 19th or the following week.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Doesn't Blizzard normally announce when the pre-expansion patch hits? Just kind of biding my time now.

What Anoregon said.

No official date, but generally speaking it's when the PvP season ends, which is the 19th.

Me and two buddies have to get around 55 Arena wins between now and then for the mount. We're middling around the 1650 rank right now.

Carl2291

As someone who is yet to get the legendary ring and working on it now, am I screwed? Will the questline be removed in the pre-patch?

Anoregon

As someone who is yet to get the legendary ring and working on it now, am I screwed? Will the questline be removed in the pre-patch?

You won't be able to start the quest in 7.0 anymore, but you should be able to finish it. At least prior to Legion launching.

Tenebrous

Anyone done normal dungeons on beta? I now have three to do as zone end quests and I get nervous about group content. Just wondering if they are easy or if they're hard because of balance problems right now or something.

They're easy with the premade 680 characters, and with a geared toon copied over from live, they're verging on soloable.

I honestly am always surprised when I still see people using TS, even Vent. Everyone is on Mumble nowadays, and Discord is getting increasingly popular.

In ten years, I've only ever seen one guild that used Mumble.

Entropia

No One Remembers
They're easy with the premade 680 characters, and with a geared toon copied over from live, they're verging on soloable.

In ten years, I've only ever seen one guild that used Mumble.

Really? Wow.

I think since... Wrath, 95% of the voice chats I've been on are Mumble with the other 4% being Vent, and 1% being TS.

I haven't come across any guilds using Discord, but in other games I've used it.

Rambaldi

We leveled my boyfriend's warrior from 56 to 90 on Saturday then my Druid from 61 to 90 yesterday using carefully timed uses of Rapid Minds and a lot of gold. But it was so with it.

Tenebrous

Really? Wow.

I think since... Wrath, 95% of the voice chats I've been on are Mumble with the other 4% being Vent, and 1% being TS.

I haven't come across any guilds using Discord, but in other games I've used it.

Maybe it's an American vs European thing? Not used Vent since TBC/Wrath. Used TS ever since.

We leveled my boyfriend's warrior from 56 to 90 on Saturday then my Druid from 61 to 90 yesterday using carefully timed uses of Rapid Minds and a lot of gold. But it was so with it.

Arcane mages through relevant dungeons makes it a blast.

Rambaldi

Arcane mages through relevant dungeons makes it a blast.

We had a lot of fun doing it! It was our birthday weekend (his is the 9th and mine is the 10th) and it was hilarious to see how many runs we could get out of each 15 minutes. I've never laughed so much with someone screaming GOGOGO at me.

Tenebrous

We had a lot of fun doing it! It was our birthday weekend (his is the 9th and mine is the 10th) and it was hilarious to see how many runs we could get out of each 15 minutes. I've never laughed so much with someone screaming GOGOGO at me.

Grats on getting old! My partner rarely plays games, but when she does, it's Diablo 3, and I kinda get like that at times... Oh well.

EU here, been using TS since... TBC I think?

I think I have, too... Honestly, it's hard to remember. TS & Vent are very similar in my mind when going THAT far back. I know I've used both, but I know for sure I've only used Mumble once.

me and my wife reupped our accounts this weekend after like a year of not playing. Seems like mostly the same, so i'm just working on pets.

The new patch seems kinda cool. we're expecting tuesday, right? Levelling a rogue right now and outlaw sounds alright

Also is there a bunch of new players? I know this isn't the best way to gauge, but in the dungeons i've done, maybe 2 -3 players each run are in greens/blues instead of heirlooms like the others.

Tenebrous

me and my wife reupped our accounts this weekend after like a year of not playing. Seems like mostly the same, so i'm just working on pets.

The new patch seems kinda cool. we're expecting tuesday, right? Levelling a rogue right now and outlaw sounds alright

Also is there a bunch of new players? I know this isn't the best way to gauge, but in the dungeons i've done, maybe 2 -3 players each run are in greens/blues instead of heirlooms like the others.

A week Tuesday - The 19th.

What level was this at? Levels 1-20 are free to play, so there's quite a few players there without the means to afford Heirloom gear.

Rambaldi

Grats on getting old! My partner rarely plays games, but when she does, it's Diablo 3, and I kinda get like that at times... Oh well.

Ha! Thanks. We both turned 31 so we are feeling it. Thankful we both love gaming so we can play together often. I definitely prefer this kind of birthday to one where you wake up hungover.

ZenaxPure

They feel like any other normal mode dungeons to be honest, done a few dozen now and I've only wiped one time ever because of a bad tank.

A week Tuesday - The 19th.

What level was this at? Levels 1-20 are free to play, so there's quite a few players there without the means to afford Heirloom gear.

damn, thought it was this tuesday :( oh well, will give me another week to level up my dudes

wailing caverns and SFK make sense then, but still saw some guys in BFD and Stockades in regular gear.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
can you freely transfer gold between horde and alliance yet? its always the reason I dont start a horde character everytime im subbed ;_;

th3dude

I hear you. I was feeling that way until I found my current guild. I've given up trying to report people and I just generally leave public chat. What faction are you? Are you looking for a more casual guild or a raiding guild? The people I raid with are quite nice (we're horde and usually have our raids up on OpenRaid, we raid Tues/Thurs) and, for the most part, fairly mature.

WoW is always better with a good group of people (IMO), so I can definitely understand your hesitation to come back since that can be hard to find. If you're interested in raiding, OpenRaid is a pretty good way to get a feel for different guilds/raid groups before deciding on a server/guild.

I'm US horde and just thinking about starting to play casually again. Got a few characters at 90-100 right now. Looking for more noobs/casuals?

This looks awesome. I'll definitely be going for this.

ampere

can you freely transfer gold between horde and alliance yet? its always the reason I dont start a horde character everytime im subbed ;_;

No, but all the Auction Houses are cross faction now so you can use em to send gold cross faction with the AH cut (15% I think)

You still need 2 accounts to do it though, I'm sure someone around here could help if you need

TheYanger

Most pugs and guilds I run into use mumble, since cata ish (I've gone to LOTs of pugs at that), prior to that vent was like 95% of everyone, and then I've known a few that've used TS over that time. I don't know anyone that uses discord besides casual guilds. idk they're all fine, I have them all installed for various groups.

Entropia

No One Remembers
On a similar note, I was reading a thing on /r/wow saying "Use Discord!!!"

One of the first things I thought of when I was looking at it, was how the hell are they making money off Discord? It doesn't seem like a long term viable product if all those features are free.

The privacy policy on our H&C site was written for our previous product, which was an iPad game called Fates Forever. We are currently writing a new one specifically for Discord. The gist is, perhaps unsurprisingly, that we collect information because it’s literally impossible to operate an internet service without collecting information. We are not in the business of selling data - we intend to sell customizables like stickers and skins directly to our users.

Respect

We have any gaffers in beta that have resonably tested pvp/arena? Thoughts? Certainly appears to be the most focus they have had on pvp for an expac since arena's were introduced.

I also heard, no more healer in 2v2 arena, is that right?

EDIT: I know tanks are ridiculous right now in pvp atm.

im leveling my first wow character and with RAF it was great

i'm like 68 now without RAF for about 15 levels and it stinks :(

60/70 is the oldest and worst part of the game tbh

Yeah I hit Outland with characters I'm leveling and end up leaving them there for months at a time, even though it only actually takes a little bit of effort to grind your way through it. It's sad how all the BC nostalgia doesn't really help when it comes time to quest though Hellfire for the 50th time.

Seeing so many people bag on The Burning Crusade makes me sort of sad. If I could flex level from the Belf and Draenei starting areas right into Hellfire Peninsula, I would. The quest design isn't inspired by today's standards but I like the hubs, hoovering up 10-15 quests and hammering through them all in short order. I like the quests with the rare drops where you actually compete against other players to complete them. Plus the zone design in TBC features some of the most unique zones in the game.

Just creat an insane listing for a common item for the sum of gold you wish to transfer with the new toon on the different faction. Get someone you trust to help you. Give them the gold to make the purchase on the AH for you. They buy the item, you've "transferred" your gold cross-faction.

Fjordson

Outland still looks amazing and has plenty of lore I like, but on average it has the weakest quests right now imo. Blizz has gotten better and better at leveling each expansion starting with Wrath and I'd put Outland behind the old world zones as well thanks to the Cata revamp.

Anoregon

Legendary ring expiration clarified in today's Blizz post:

You’ll also no longer be able to start the quest line for your Legendary ring—and if you aren’t already on Chapter II or later, the quest will be removed from your quest log.

So as long as you are actually at the first raid step (Abrogator stones) you should be ok, I think?

strafer

Bad play Blizz, you shouldn't remove quests that's in your log. Let people complete it.

I remember people completing the priest staff quest and Warlock mount quest in wotlk because they kept it in the log.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Bad play Blizz, you shouldn't remove quests that's in your log. Let people complete it.

I remember people completing the priest staff quest and Warlock mount quest in wotlk because they kept it in the log.

They did it last expansion.

I don't see a problem with what they are doing.

Shahadan

I think the point in doing this is that they don't have the time to complete it in the first place

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Their solution to the racial imbalance is so hands in the air pathetic.

A rank 1 horde and alliance player can theoretically have such a delta between them it isn't even funny, yet the rewards will be the same. So sad.

I haven't completed a single ring quest because I didn't raid at all in WoD. I don't mind that they're removing that quest from the logs of several of my toons. If I wanted that legendary, I should have bothered to complete the questline at least once on one of my toons during WoD.

It's an MMO, I accept that there are certain events and items that are time sensitive to an expansion.

TheYanger

I mean, they gave notice as early as possible (months and months ago), and the only quests being removed are people that are so far back that it's statistically impossible for them to finish in time. Those people are being saved from killing themselves trying to finish a ring they'll never get. I suppose you could argue they'll still get the later step rings but not the orange one, but oh well.

They did confirm today that the BoA heirlooms from mythic dungeons are available until Legion launch. So get on getting those if you haven't!

It certainly took me awhile to get them all.

Tenebrous

Just finished Maw of Souls... Final boss ends pretty abruptly, and the first two boss fights are amazingly boring on normal (maybe on heroic/mythic they're better?), but it was still decent fun.

Lomax

Removing the ability to get the rings and cloak is fine, but removing the quest lines entirely is stupid. I didn't play during MoP and there's a whole interesting storyline out there that is just gone for me because I wasn't playing then (what's worse is the breadcrumbs that lead you to start it and then it just stops for no reason, and content like Ordos that is still there but can't be touched). It isn't evolution of content, it's just arbitrary removal. And no, going and digging up youtube videos isn't the least bit interesting because it's not even remotely the same experience as playing through it. Remove the rewards, remove the achievements, but leave the quests in place for those that come along later and want to see what it was like.

Though it seems clear at this point that Blizzard wants WoW to exist basically in a vacuum for each expansion, with each one essentially it's own game with self contained features and the like. Anything that requires or even implies carryover has been nerfed as best as they can.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Removing the ability to get the rings and cloak is fine, but removing the quest lines entirely is stupid. I didn't play during MoP and there's a whole interesting storyline out there that is just gone for me because I wasn't playing then (what's worse is the breadcrumbs that lead you to start it and then it just stops for no reason, and content like Ordos that is still there but can't be touched). It isn't evolution of content, it's just arbitrary removal. And no, going and digging up youtube videos isn't the least bit interesting because it's not even remotely the same experience as playing through it. Remove the rewards, remove the achievements, but leave the quests in place for those that come along later and want to see what it was like.

Though it seems clear at this point that Blizzard wants WoW to exist basically in a vacuum for each expansion, with each one essentially it's own game with self contained features and the like. Anything that requires or even implies carryover has been nerfed as best as they can.

You get a reward for playing during a certain time, it's something that just about every MMO has done. It's kinda crappy to reward the people who play for one month with the same stuff as veterans and consecutive subscribers. Why be a repeat customer if you can just come back whenever you want?

And I don't really know what you mean by the carryover being nerfed? Was there ever something that did carry over like the Legendary Cloak/Ring and Heirloom Weapons/Trinkets? If anything they've added stuff.

TheYanger

If you want to see the content then play it when it's there. You're right, watching a youtube video isn't the same. Know what else isn't the same? soloing all that shit 2 expansions later. So what's the difference? I mean you can sub for 1-2 months near the end of the xpac and do it in its entirety if you want to. As much as the storylines for both of these legendaries helped tell a related plot to the main one and tie an overarching theme accross the expansion's raids, it also isn't required to make sense of the stories themselves. Like, yes you missed some cool stuff with gul'dan, khadgar, garona, etc, that sucks. But it doesn't make the basic story of Warlords any less understandable or anything. Same for Mop.

These legendaries serve as an incentive to play for the entire expansion, it seems fine that they also serve as a reward for doing it.

Top Bottom