• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Shahadan

I think the general internet chat stuff is just universally worse than before. People are now used to youtube comments and twitch chat so they have no restraint.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I think the general internet chat stuff is just universally worse than before.
This has been my feeling. I just turn off global channels in WoW. I know there will be nothing worth reading in them. I usually turn off guild chat if I joined a random one for the bonuses too. The small better pockets of the community kind of dispersed during WoD, at least for me, but they'll start to form again as people's interest in the game picks up for Legion. For most of the community it's just too easy to not care about anything that is going on, so people are even more inclined to be abrasive.

th3dude

Do any of you play on the same server/guilds?

Looking to casually start playing again and would be nice to have some folks to chat with. NA region.

th3dude

Why play a game with others if you're just going to set out to be an entitled, self-centered piece of garbage? That's what I don't get.

Huh?

Edit: I initially read your post as if you were replying to me, but you didn't actually quote me. Assuming you weren't talking to me and you were replying to the topic of nasty chat. Sorry!

LowParry

I never thought I'd have this problem with WoW but I really can't decide on what class to play for raiding. Game looks so fresh now. Decisions!

Huh?

Edit: I initially read your post as if you were replying to me, but you didn't actually quote me. Assuming you weren't talking to me and you were replying to the topic of nasty chat. Sorry!

Yeah, not to you, since you were saying the exact opposite, ha! Just a general sort of puzzlement based on what I've been experiencing.

biaxident

Didn't realize how many salvage crates I had...about 3k. I've opened about 1200 so far. Send all the boe's to an alt to sit in their mailbox so I can transmog everything at patch, and been getting about 1kg out of the follower items per 600ish crates. Mailing in total only costs about a few gold even though its a pain, with the 12 item limit. After I clear them all out I'll work on selling all WoD mats besides whatever I need to use for the daily CD on my lower professions, got a few still in the 400s but garrison prof cd's make em easy.

Tenebrous

It's
depressing
amazing how fast those damn salvage boxes can pop up. Then again, I got a Blackrock Bulwark in one of mine, so I can't complain too much.

Next 8 days for me are 16 HoF runs a day.

Do any of you play on the same server/guilds?

Looking to casually start playing again and would be nice to have some folks to chat with. NA region.

Some, but mostly we're pretty spread out and have each other on Battle.net to do cross-realm grouping if we feel like it.

This is the GAF Discord server I made though (quote to see invite link):

Where people can chat, form groups (mostly in Legion probably), whatever. We have about 13 people or so in there right now. I expect more of the casual WoW crowd to hit it up when Legion releases.

th3dude

Some, but mostly we're pretty spread out and have each other on Battle.net to do cross-realm grouping if we feel like it.

This is the GAF Discord server I made though (quote to see invite link):

Where people can chat, form groups (mostly in Legion probably), whatever. We have about 13 people or so in there right now. I expect more of the casual WoW crowd to hit it up when Legion releases.

Cool, thanks for the info. I forget about how the cross-realm stuff makes this much easier now. I'll hit you all up in Discord and get one some friends lists.

Thanks!

Tenebrous

I know my guild is moving from TS3 to Discord in the prepatch, so despite my wanting to avoid using it, I guess I've no choice... Maybe I'll pop on.

Anyone wanna raid Mythic HFC on the PTR? I wanna see how the difficulty is.

Fjordson

Didn't realize how many salvage crates I had...about 3k. I've opened about 1200 so far. Send all the boe's to an alt to sit in their mailbox so I can transmog everything at patch, and been getting about 1kg out of the follower items per 600ish crates. Mailing in total only costs about a few gold even though its a pain, with the 12 item limit. After I clear them all out I'll work on selling all WoD mats besides whatever I need to use for the daily CD on my lower professions, got a few still in the 400s but garrison prof cd's make em easy.
Is there a certain building or quest I need to unlock transmog items from the salvage crates?

I've probably opened thousands over the course of Warlords and I've never gotten anything. Just generic greens, the occasional blue and junk.

biaxident

Is there a certain building or quest I need to unlock transmog items from the salvage crates?

I've probably opened thousands over the course of Warlords and I've never gotten anything. Just generic greens, the occasional blue and junk.

No that's them, just greens that have transmog looks, you can tell which ones are good just based off the TSM price but I will still end up vendoring like 95% once patch hits.

ampere

Not enough manpower for that. Just report them.

This. It works, they do take reports seriously. Just too many players to actually monitor stuff actively

"Livestream of YouTube comments" is exactly right. Well said. I've ignored a bunch of people, and reported several, but yeah, it doesn't seem to make much difference. And it's not just kids, unless the people talking about one person's upcoming 40th birthday were all lying.

I keep getting guild invites (I guess that's a standard thing now once you log in?), but I can't imagine joining any guild, much less one whose only criteria for entry is "welp, you managed to log in." At this point, I don't think I'll get the new expansion. I was gonna fool around and see if I felt like coming back, but I can't see staying.

Maybe there's a casual friendly guild a GAFer is in that you could join. The game is fun if you can find some decent people to play with. I'd be happy to throw you an invite when I resub next month

Jag

Re: the trade chat stuff, I'm on Whisperwind.

I'm on alliance whisperwind. We have a small guild now that's not very active (used to be a big raid guild), but you are more than welcome to join. Trade chat is typically quiet but every few hours the trolls get going and it's trash, then it quiets down again.

"Livestream of YouTube comments" is exactly right. Well said. I've ignored a bunch of people, and reported several, but yeah, it doesn't seem to make much difference. And it's not just kids, unless the people talking about one person's upcoming 40th birthday were all lying.

I keep getting guild invites (I guess that's a standard thing now once you log in?), but I can't imagine joining any guild, much less one whose only criteria for entry is "welp, you managed to log in." At this point, I don't think I'll get the new expansion. I was gonna fool around and see if I felt like coming back, but I can't see staying.

I hear you. I was feeling that way until I found my current guild. I've given up trying to report people and I just generally leave public chat. What faction are you? Are you looking for a more casual guild or a raiding guild? The people I raid with are quite nice (we're horde and usually have our raids up on OpenRaid, we raid Tues/Thurs) and, for the most part, fairly mature.

WoW is always better with a good group of people (IMO), so I can definitely understand your hesitation to come back since that can be hard to find. If you're interested in raiding, OpenRaid is a pretty good way to get a feel for different guilds/raid groups before deciding on a server/guild.

ampere

More trade chat advice:

You can type /leave trade to leave the channel, or you can put it in another tab (I do this). That way you only see it when you need to make a post or something

Trade chat is pretty shit on almost every server

Dinged 110 after about 1 day, 6 hours. Though probably at least 8 of that was messing around with UI/being AFK/etc.

Still not done with Highmountain though, and there's an area or two in Stormheim I missed. Live will certainly be a bit faster, knowing the quest beats beforehand. If you're not leveling a demon hunter, definitely get a water strider/have water walking and a couple stacks of goblin gliders. They make getting around so much easier.

Didn't touch any dungeons and haven't worked through Suramar yet. Suramar is a 110 zone, but doing dungeons would definitely add time to the leveling process. I also worked on the order hall campaign fairly extensively which you may or may not do immediately depending on how fast you level - that added time as well.

But in summary: leveling will take about a day or so, a few days of heavy play if you do every quest/bonus objective.

TheYanger

Leveling is too fast once again ;(

It's really not. nobody likes levelling, it's outdated as a concept. Making the content useful for more than just that is a far better goal. Back when levelling 'took longer' (this is purely vanilla, fwiw, everything else has been close enough to each other) it was because the quests were padded as fuck, you didn't do more quests, in fact you did far less, but instead of respecting your time with 'kill 6 mobs' it's 'kill 30 mobs' or 'get a bear ass that has a 2% drop rate' or 'fly to the moon and back'.

Shahadan

It's really not. nobody likes levelling, it's outdated as a concept. Making the content useful for more than just that is a far better goal. Back when levelling 'took longer' (this is purely vanilla, fwiw, everything else has been close enough to each other) it was because the quests were padded as fuck, you didn't do more quests, in fact you did far less, but instead of respecting your time with 'kill 6 mobs' it's 'kill 30 mobs' or 'get a bear ass that has a 2% drop rate' or 'fly to the moon and back'.

What? Many people love leveling especially the first time. That's like 90% of my enjoyment of the whole xpac. Raiding and doing nothing for a year+ is the outdated concept.

Just make it so you get an experience buff for rerolls and doing it again is faster.

Vanilla was too long and boring though, I agree.

You say this, but there is a seemingly OVERWHELMING amount of stuff to do at 110 right now

Yeah that's true this time at least and I'm looking forward to it.

Leveling is too fast once again ;(

You say this, but there is a seemingly OVERWHELMING amount of stuff to do at 110 right now, particularly compared to WoD. Leveling time is fine. I don't want to spend days and days doing "busywork" to get to the meat of the game which is end-game. But speaking of that - the end-game is pretty drawn out right now from what I can tell, even for people that aren't going to be raiding (or raiding much.)

Now sure, I'm pretty much just figuring it all out from scratch which is harder, I'm sure there'll be guides telling people what they should do by launch to min/max. But yeah, loads of stuff and I haven't even touched dungeons, let alone raids. Just getting on the pre-raid gear treadmill by itself will be several weeks worth of heavy play.

And you can't even jump into heroic dungeons right away, let alone mythics. I'm only 783 iLvl after doing (most of) the 4 main questing zones. I'm assuming I have to quest through most of Suarmar/do 110 dungeons to hit the 810 required iLvl for heroics. Or world quests which you have to do some questing in Suramar for to unlock regardless.

Edit: Sorry if the post doesn't flow completely, responding to the latter post as well here editing stuff in.

Lanrutcon

So what's the new grind if leveling is a non-point? Artifacts? Professions?

Also: anyone have a link to the Legion flying cheevo as it stands at launch?

Shahadan

I don't know why anyone wants WoW's leveling to be slow in 2016 especially with scaling zones.

Yeah why would people wish the part they enjoy the most was longer. Dumb guys it's current year amirite?

These devleopers sure are wasting their time focusing their effort crafting zones and questlines.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yeah why would people wish the part they enjoy the most was longer. Dumb guys it's current year amirite?

These devleopers sure are wasting their time focusing their effort crafting zones and questlines.
It's too bad you can't do any of those zones or questlines on alts. And it's a shame the game locks you out from doing them when you hit max level.

Shahadan

It's too bad you can't do any of those zones or questlines on alts. And it's a shame the game locks you out from doing them when you hit max level.

Are you dense on purpose again? I'm talking about first time leveling. I get to enjoy it once every two years FFS. A buff for rerolls or exp potions like WoD is more than welcome to me. It's really like playing a rpg for the first time. How hard is it to understand? When the adventure is over, the fun is mostly gone.

I don't like having to do everything for the third time on alts and I'm sure I'll be bored as fuck having to unlock suramar to progress again.

On another topic, I didn't know you could kill Lady Vashj before she activates her shield. Wtf. SO much time saved.
Edit: And still no pet =_=

Lanrutcon

I miss MMOs where your character level actually indicated progress, actually. In WoW your gear score is a hundred times more telling. Might as well just remove the standard level indicator and have us level from ilevel 1 to ilevel 900.

Shahadan

Finally got all the pets from the Hyjal raid. I never have to set foot in there again! Good times.

Tbh I admire people who did it every week until they got them all. I gave up and bought the last 2 I was missing after a month.
I liked it back in the day but it's the most boring stuff to do now.

Also: anyone have a link to the Legion flying cheevo as it stands at launch?

First:

Broken Isles Pathfinder

Second:

Leveling isn't really any different than it's been for the past 3+ expansions. Artifact Power and unlocking all the traits there is what you're gonna be grinding for the most part.

Professions have these quests associated with them and getting better, more efficient recipes from quests/reputation/etc. It's a throwback to the pre-WoD professions, though expanded somewhat. Seems good, but maybe annoying for alts if you want to try and be self-sufficient --- at least early on you won't easily have maxed/efficient professions on characters besides your main, so be prepared to cough up for consumables and gear that your main doesn't cover.

And character level is arbitrary. It gets into deep game design talk for how the system is setup. Personally, the way WoW handles it is fine. Going to say, a Runescape-esque level system doesn't appeal that much when I can show off gear, achievements, and/or mounts as indicators of progress.

dimb

A days worth of meaningful leveling content seems like a good amount to me. Beyond that you have the unique quests for each class/spec and Suramar, which is clearly a huge focus for questing content and it comes after you hit level cap.
It's artifacts. Powering them up is a long term objective.

Robin64

Tbh I admire people who did it every week until they got them all. I gave up and bought the last 2 I was missing after a month.
I liked it back in the day but it's the most boring stuff to do now.

To be fair, I was doing it for the rep too, having not done it back in the day. I happened to get the final pet on the run I hit Exalted, so it all worked out quite well. If I had been Exalted for a while, I'd pony up the cash.

So I still need to run, let's see.. Dragon Soul for all three mounts, Four Winds for that mount, Firelands for both mounts there.. Oh and bloody Tempest Keep for that mount. I won't bother with the MoP stuff til I am 110.

Thanks.

Have any of you lucky Beta people done the Legion's version of the Aviana's Feather quest? How soon can a person go get it?

It's in Highmountain, but a bit out of the way. Haven't gotten it myself, but this video shows it off. Doesn't work quite like Aviana's Feather. I'll repeat myself though, if you're not playing a Demon Hunter, for sure bring goblin gliders.

TheYanger

I miss MMOs where your character level actually indicated progress, actually. In WoW your gear score is a hundred times more telling. Might as well just remove the standard level indicator and have us level from ilevel 1 to ilevel 900.

Your level has never meant anything since like, maybe EQ? Where it took a very long time to level, and even that went down over time as people got better at the game. Wow felt casual as fuck when it came out.

The reality is most of these games become less and less about levelling over time because levelling takes you out of the zone of what the game is about most of the time. It feels meaningless in comparison.

You don't have to be low level to enjoy quests, go do quests ffs. The xp bar slowly climbing is trivial and pointless, in Legion you've got an artifact xp bar that basically enver ends if that's your jam.

I prefer quest content to exist because it's interesting content, not to be as padded as possible to make it take 10 days instead of 10 hours to do the same amount of shit. For perspective, Legion has like as many quests as all of Vanilla had.

If anything, I think the dynamic level range scaling in legion represents something closer to where the next games in the genre will be: Scaling content but with cohesive storylines to follow. Not random bullshit like guild wars 2, not scaling you down when you go to low level zones, but a removal of levelling completely, content being completed because it gives you some other form of power (be it gear, unlocking skills, whatever) and a largely dynamic overworld. Legion feels fantastic compared to everything else, pick a zone, follow the questlines, do them all as you want to without feeling "Oh, I hit 92 I better leave this zone". I's liberating to not give a fuck about that.

dimb

Pre-patch isn't going to come before the PvP season ends. Has to be the 19th.

Ken

im leveling my first wow character and with RAF it was great

i'm like 68 now without RAF for about 15 levels and it stinks :(

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
The updated maintenance text on the Battle.net launcher does not give much hope for a surprise release of the pre-expansion patch on July 12/13.

Top Bottom