• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
All gold missions will become garrison resource missions. All Treasure Hunter followers will become Extreme Scavengers.

I'm a little curious to see if they'll include JC dailies in that list. ~150-300 gold per day for minimum effort per character ain't bad, depending on your stockpile of ore.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Man, without even looking at the comments I knew exactly what people arguing against the silence penalty would be saying and i'm right on the money

'SJWs'
'RIP WoW. Legion ruined this game'
'Slippery slope'
'It's gonna get abused! Everyone has it out for me!'

Pomo

Man, without even looking at the comments I knew exactly what people arguing against the silence penalty would be saying and i'm right on the money

'SJWs'
'Slippery slope'

Yup. Had an LFR group earlier repeating these sentiments. Couldn't have been less surprised.

'SJWs'
'Slippery slope'

No surprise that people who want to freely clog the world with idiotic and stupid garbage are upset that they can no longer do that

Tarazet

That has less to do with skill than with someone who just shouldn't be there in a group at all. That's the kind of person who should be kicked.

How well does the game do at teaching you the class that you're playing, though? You get a quest to practice one skill at level 3 and that's it. If you're a Monk, you get some useful training on how to use your utility buttons, but otherwise, you get nada. All the Training Grounds do is present problems and hurl abuse at you if you fail. It's left up to the player to figure out how to accomplish the tasks, which is totally fine if you've already mastered the basics. But there isn't any good framework in which you are guided in how to play the game, in general, and more specifically your class.

Wouldn't it be better for the community of the game if the player base was better trained in how to play?

Lanrutcon

After my brief flirtation with PoE I'm ready for the pre-patch.

And the new silence mode sounds glorious. 70% of all WoW players are ass monkeys. Fact.

Tacitus_

I do mythic runs with my guild mates alts all the time. I was just making fun of my friend who had a fresh boosted character that had level 60 rings.

But it was my guild mates, the people I play with and are invested in. I would have no reason to do it for a complete stranger.

Are you saying you would be willing to bring 705s to your mythic dungeon runs when you got to 740 ilevel? For your 50th time running mythic dungeons, you wouldn't care about doing them slowly?

I can't really blame people who don't really have a frame of reference for this stuff, but saying people are jerks because they don't want to do charity runs all the time is a little off base.

Yes, you are being a jerk if you refuse to bring a 705 guy to mythic dungeons. They already overgear them by 20 ilvls.

Tenebrous

Yes, you are being a jerk if you refuse to bring a 705 guy to mythic dungeons. They already overgear them by 20 ilvls.

Considering they're designed foro people with 660-670 gear, it's a tad more than 20 levels.

I also disagree immensely. Why is it never mentioned that these people can just form their own groups? Perhaps, and this is just a theory, the reason that people think Mythic dungeons mostly consist of gear snobs is because the gear snobs are more motivated in character progression & forming groups in the first place.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I have run a lot of Mythic dungeons, and even if people outgear the content it doesn't really matter if they're bad at the game and don't know how to play their class. Most people who are ilevel 705 or lower at this point are people on alts that they don't know how to play, or bad players. There are people who stretch into ilevel 710+ that I have regretted inviting, so why take my chances on players even lower than that if I don't have to?

Boogdud

Considering they're designed foro people with 660-670 gear, it's a tad more than 20 levels.

I also disagree immensely. Why is it never mentioned that these people can just form their own groups? Perhaps, and this is just a theory, the reason that people think Mythic dungeons mostly consist of gear snobs is because the gear snobs are more motivated in character progression & forming groups in the first place.

My theory is this, formed from 10 years of personal experience on both sides of this issue. It's because most people that are more motivated by character (gear) progression and are forming groups (in a system that, let's face it, is designed for people that don't have easy access to do either of those things), are snobs. Plain and simple. The reason that people think that Mythic dungeons are full of gear snobs, is because they are.

There are a few, like Laughtrey don't even realize they're being one. Some don't like to be called snobs, but many really don't care. You're a pleb and you're wasting their time. A lot of the people I know would think they're doing a favor to humanity just being in a mythic dungeon helping a RL friend that isn't 30+ ilvls overgearing an instance, let alone some random.

You can say I just have a lot of elitist jerky friends, or have just seen a lot of the bad examples, which might be true. But they're also the reason that theory exists. Honestly it's one of the reasons I quit raiding and then wow all together for a long time. Sometimes it really changes people for the worst.

Tacitus_

I was being somewhat generous...

Who's saying they can't form their own groups? I'm just saying that if you need to have your pugs overgear a dungeon by 40 ilvls instead of 20, you're being a jerk. They don't even really have any mechanics you can trivialize with that sort of gap. Like for example, on mythic Archimonde, having enough gear to do p1 with one Doomfire heilps mmensely. If you kill Warlord Zaela before she takes off... you shave ~40 seconds off your kill. Whoop-de-doo.

Tenebrous

I was being somewhat generous...

Who's saying they can't form their own groups? I'm just saying that if you need to have your pugs overgear a dungeon by 40 ilvls instead of 20, you're being a jerk. They don't even really have any mechanics you can trivialize with that sort of gap. Like for example, on mythic Archimonde, having enough gear to do p1 with one Doomfire heilps mmensely. If you kill Warlord Zaela before she takes off... you shave ~40 seconds off your kill. Whoop-de-doo.

You also shave 10 minutes off each dungeon. Do an 8/8 run, and you're saving in excess of an hour.

Shit, even if you just save 5 minutes per dungeon, that's still 40 saved.

My theory is this, formed from 10 years of personal experience on both sides of this issue. It's because most people that are more motivated by character (gear) progression and are forming groups (in a system that, let's face it, is designed for people that don't have easy access to do either of those things), are snobs. Plain and simple. The reason that people think that Mythic dungeons are full of gear snobs, is because they are.

There are a few, like Laughtrey don't even realize they're being one. Some don't like to be called snobs, but many really don't care. You're a pleb and you're wasting their time. A lot of the people I know would think they're doing a favor to humanity just being in a mythic dungeon helping a RL friend that isn't 30+ ilvls overgearing an instance, let alone some random.

You can say I just have a lot of elitist jerky friends, or have just seen a lot of the bad examples, which might be true. But they're also the reason that theory exists. Honestly it's one of the reasons I quit raiding and then wow all together for a long time. Sometimes it really changes people for the worst.

Well what does that make the people who are in lesser gear & unwilling to find/form groups of people similar to themselves & instead prefer to complain about not being able to get into groups above their status?

Like yourself, I've been on both sides of the fence over the past decade. Gone from Karazhan groups requiring a Tier 4 set bonus to not being accepted for Wrath heroic farms. To having the GS for ICC25 to being rejected on my hunter alt for VoA...

Over that time, I figured it out... If the requirements are too high, I can make a group with lower (but still suitable) requirements & do just fine that way. I never complained about Tier, gearscore, or iLvl requirements - I made my own group, and 99% of the time, shit went fine.

How well does the game do at teaching you the class that you're playing, though? You get a quest to practice one skill at level 3 and that's it. If you're a Monk, you get some useful training on how to use your utility buttons, but otherwise, you get nada. All the Training Grounds do is present problems and hurl abuse at you if you fail. It's left up to the player to figure out how to accomplish the tasks, which is totally fine if you've already mastered the basics. But there isn't any good framework in which you are guided in how to play the game, in general, and more specifically your class.

Wouldn't it be better for the community of the game if the player base was better trained in how to play?

I agree with you - but I don't think this is just a WoW problem, it's often a game design problem, period. Some games scaffold lessons in really well. Some don't. With a game like this, I think the combination of constant changes in an effort to both balance and stay current, and the assumption that people will be metagaming and doing work outside the game space anyway, combines to form a system that does not do much to teach players their roles within the game itself. On top of that, you have a zerg mentality in dungeons that doesn't give anyone without experience the chance to mess up, much less to look around and experience dungeons at all -- which is the result of most people being on alt #5293502 while leveling and who cares at this point about that lower level stuff -- so there's just no way in game to make allowances. But separating people would result in nightmarish queue times, too.

Tacitus_

You also shave 10 minutes off each dungeon. Do an 8/8 run, and you're saving in excess of an hour.

Shit, even if you just save 5 minutes per dungeon, that's still 40 saved.

No way you're shaving 10 mins off a mythic dungeon with that. With 700+ you're running them with almost HC pace anyway...
If you want to do all of them in one round, sure, I understand why you'd want to shave a couple minutes off each one. But for a single dungeon? Nah.

Tenebrous

Is this site working for anyone?

http://maldy.net/

No way you're shaving 10 mins off a mythic dungeon with that. With 700+ you're running them with almost HC pace anyway...
If you want to do all of them in one round, sure, I understand why you'd want to shave a couple minutes off each one. But for a single dungeon? Nah.

Doesn't seem too outrageous to me. If you put a mythic raider in 700 gear, the difference in time would probably be lower than a normal player in 700 gear. Honestly, 10 minutes doesn't sound like too much of a stretch to me... In a group of 700 players, I'm doing at least 40-50% of the damage as a tank. In a 740 group, I'm usually top 3, sometimes 4th. It's a big difference.

Would be a cool experiment to try before the prepatch goes live. I've not done mythics in months (both rings are 795), so yeah, maybe...

Dinjooh

Is this site working for anyone?

http://maldy.net/

Doesn't seem too outrageous to me. If you put a mythic raider in 700 gear, the difference in time would probably be lower than a normal player in 700 gear. Honestly, 10 minutes doesn't sound like too much of a stretch to me... In a group of 700 players, I'm doing at least 40-50% of the damage as a tank. In a 740 group, I'm usually top 3, sometimes 4th. It's a big difference.

Would be a cool experiment to try before the prepatch goes live. I've not done mythics in months (both rings are 795), so yeah, maybe...

I have some really shitty alts you can experiment with, no problem bro.

Tacitus_

Doesn't seem too outrageous to me. If you put a mythic raider in 700 gear, the difference in time would probably be lower than a normal player in 700 gear. Honestly, 10 minutes doesn't sound like too much of a stretch to me... In a group of 700 players, I'm doing at least 40-50% of the damage as a tank. In a 740 group, I'm usually top 3, sometimes 4th. It's a big difference..

I do alt runs semi-regularly, ilvls ranging from 680 to 710 and we complete the dungeons in <15 mins. We're not doing them in 5 minutes with a full main group.

Jag

Got into the Legion Beta apparently. Just showed up in my launcher.

Demon Hunters are LIT.

I don't want in at this point. Really. I'm not compulsively checking my launcher or anything....

I also don't have a problem with high level raiders only wanting other high level dudes to smash through 5mans at light speed. Lower level groups are easy enough to form and the truth is they will take longer to get through and may have some wipes. That's the price for being lower geared. You are not entitled to a carry.

Robin64

I also don't have a problem with high level raiders only wanting other high level dudes to smash through 5mans at light speed. Lower level groups are easy enough to form and the truth is they will take longer to get through and may have some wipes. That's the price for being lower geared. You are not entitled to a carry.

One wipe. Because then everyone leaves.

Back in my day, we'd wipe 50 times on Heroic Magister's Terrace, and we were happy!

Boogdud

One wipe. Because then everyone leaves.

Back in my day, we'd wipe 50 times on Heroic Magister's Terrace, and we were happy!

Seriously, lol.

It pretty much goes back to the old 'cross realm completely ruining the community' notion. It is difficult to argue against it though. People are basically anonymous ilvls, nobody gives a crap about forming a party, you're barely a number. Especially when at the first sign of adversity people just kick/leave and fish for another (insert) immediately. At this point they might as well just have AI followers you can select an ilvl and do a dungeon yourself.

I can remember the names of a lot of people I ran dungeons with in vanilla/tbc. Most of which haven't played for several years. I probably couldn't tell you one name in the last 100 dungeons I've run in the last few expansions. Hell, I probably couldn't even tell you the server they were on, or what class they were.

It's a double edged sword. It's really nice finding a group fast and making it convenient. But it really killed the community.

CassSept

Eh, WotLK had piss easy heroics before LFG was introduced.

People mostly ran easy heroics in TBC for badges too.

TBC had some really hard heroics, but I don't think I ran the likes of Shattered Halls beyond getting attuned for Kara/SSC/TK.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still wondering what content will be available day one of the Legion pre-expansion patch. Just the class changes seem quite dull, hopefully something Legion related will be available, maybe the Broken Shore scenario.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Eh, WotLK had piss easy heroics before LFG was introduced.

People mostly ran easy heroics in TBC for badges too.

TBC had some really hard heroics, but I don't think I ran the likes of Shattered Halls beyond getting attuned for Kara/SSC/TK.

Yeah, me and my buddys ran WOTLK heroics constantly for shits and giggles or because we needed to, etc. etc.

I actually liked the progressive currency system that Wrath had.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Rösti;209962401 said:
I'm still wondering what content will be available day one of the Legion pre-expansion patch. Just the class changes seem quite dull, hopefully something Legion related will be available, maybe the Broken Shore scenario.

I mean the class changes aren't exciting, but there such a change that people need to get a feel for their class again.
Plus there's the new transmog system, so people are going to be running old instances in droves to unlock those appearances.

Entropia

No One Remembers
New transmog system is hitting then? Shit, that's awesome.

Yeah dude. Me and some friends have been running old raids in preparation. My bags are already thirsting for space. :(

It's actually funny how much money some people are going to make vendoring all that stuff they don't need in their bags anymore.

Fjordson

Yeah, I've been the same way ever since they announced that. Especially on my Warrior since he can equip basically everything. Been running a ton of old raids so he has a mountain of shit to add to the wardrobe.

Man I'm so hyped for that. I'll finally have the Ahune scythe for characters other than my dormant priest. Yass.

Shahadan

Rösti;209962401 said:

I've been saying for a while I don't understand why people are hyped for the date and for "draenor ending and things to do!"

We'll get less things to do if anything since garrison will be dead ;(

Class changes is a big deal, but I'm certainly not looking forward to people whining for weeks that wow is dead and their class sucks because of the pruning.
They won't even realize they're missing their artifact spell which should be a part of their rotation.

We'll be bored an hour after the patch hits. I'll try to fill my collection tabs I guess.

ZenaxPure

I mean the class changes aren't exciting, but there such a change that people need to get a feel for their class again.
Plus there's the new transmog system, so people are going to be running old instances in droves to unlock those appearances.

Yeah class changes + transmog system is enough for me. Going to be doing a loooooot of old content. That alone will probably keep me busy until the expansion to be honest, I have enough alts that the weekly lockout timers don't matter much. Also will be running dungeons because there are a lot of unique armor/weapons from those as well.

Also have to do a lot of bag management at some point. Even ignoring the thousands of crates I need to open I have a bunch of bags, banks, and void storages I need to clean out which is going to take a while.

Actually pretty funny because even though garrisons will be dead I am still expecting a nice surge of gold after the patch just from running raids/dungeons and cleaning inventories.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Yeah, I've been the same way ever since they announced that. Especially on my Warrior since he can equip basically everything. Been running a ton of old raids so he has a mountain of shit to add to the wardrobe.

Man I'm so hyped for that. I'll finally have the Ahune scythe for characters other than my dormant priest. Yass.

Just to make sure to clarify - your warrior will only unlock plate gear appearances and any other weapons it can equip. You can't unlock cloth appearances on your Warrior.

Shahadan

Your warrior can only unlock plate appearances ;(
They did that so people would not massively prefer questing (or anything really) with a plate wearing class to unlock everything.

Edit: beaten

-Mikey-

So, with the new transmog system appearances will be account wide or still character specific to a single item? Hope that question makes sense.

Entropia

No One Remembers
So, with the new transmog system appearances will be account wide or still character specific to a single item? Hope that question makes sense.

Account wide.

If you unlock a cloth item on your priest on Server A, then your mage (if it's at or above the level of the item) on Server B can use its appearance.

Just reactivated after being out for roughly over a year and now I'm totally lost. Going to garrison it up until the patch hits based off of everyone's feedback, auction anything that I can, and sell gear that I won't be using. Time for a clean slate!

Interfectum

Just reactivated after being out for roughly over a year and now I'm totally lost. Going to garrison it up until the patch hits based off of everyone's feedback, auction anything that I can, and sell gear that I won't be using. Time for a clean slate!

dont sell gear yet, some of that might unlock for transmorg. just hold on to everything until pre-expansion patch.

Fjordson

Just to make sure to clarify - your warrior will only unlock plate gear appearances and any other weapons it can equip. You can't unlock cloth appearances on your Warrior.
Your warrior can only unlock plate appearances ;(
They did that so people would not massively prefer questing (or anything really) with a plate wearing class to unlock everything.

Edit: beaten
Shit. Weapons I'm good though right?? Like staves?

If he can't unlock staves I'm gonna be depressed.

Jag

Opened up over a thousand boxes on several toons. Mail system overloaded. All alts full. Formed a 2nd guild bank it's overflowing. Blizz plz.

Top Bottom