• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Wasn't really planning to do CMs but some people came back and wanted to do them all this week. Was pretty surprised that Skyreach wound up being one of the easiest.

So I am a very new player and I was wondering if I should use an addon while leveling or is that mainly more used for raids and such? If anyone has a recommendation on some updated addons that'd be sweet.

Robin64

So I am a very new player and I was wondering if I should use an addon while leveling or is that mainly more used for raids and such? If anyone has a recommendation on some updated addons that'd be sweet.

My personal opinion is that you should level without addons to begin with, and then see if you feel you are missing anything down the line.

phierce

Get elvui. Won't need anything else until you choose to raid.

After reading post after post of clueless person who boosted a character I really have to question the feature.

Now I'm sure the trial run stuff in Legion will help but right now it's just sort of a mess. Should come with a warning that it's more intended for veteran players.

Robin64

The Legion 100 trial stuff is sadly really undercooked. Only one spec per class is showcased, and even then it just shows you the first few abilities and then says "Now look through your spellbook for others, off you go!"

dimb

Elvui is a joke and a mess. Only thing I might recommend to new players is Deadly Boss Mods.

The Legion 100 trial stuff is sadly really undercooked. Only one spec per class is showcased, and even then it just shows you the first few abilities and then says "Now look through your spellbook for others, off you go!"

Huh. WELP. And I can't say I've tested the feature myself. Should take a look at it on beta.

Elvui is a joke and a mess. Only thing I might recommend to new players is Deadly Boss Mods.

ElvUI is okay. I'm using it on beta right now for a mostly all-in-one solution since it's functional outside a few bugs. For people that aren't experienced or aren't comfortable with setting up their own custom UIs, it does what might take me a dozen+ other addons to do.

phierce

ElvUI is okay. I'm using it on beta right now for a mostly all-in-one solution since it's functional outside a few bugs. For people that aren't experienced or aren't comfortable with setting up their own custom UIs, it does what might take me a dozen+ other addons to do.
Exactly why I recommended it to a new player.

Still shocked that I got in the beta after being resubbed for only 2 days after quiting 1-1-2015... I'm loving the boomkin 110 pvp in legion so I'll be staying subbed. Damage isn't balanced at all in arena at 110 though. =\ DH is a lot more fun than I thought it would be too.

Concept17

Hey WoW-Gaf,

I just started playing again. Last time I played was during BC, so the game is nearly entirely different to me. Have some questions...

How do Heirlooms work? You buy them for ~500g and just throw them on any character for extra xp while leveling? They seem to make all the difference when burning through dungeons, especially for tanks and healers.

Been playing the Monk, and it has made me not enjoy my other 2 previous favorites the Hunter and Shaman. They've changed a lot (and I see will be again in a couple days). When I rolled a hunter back in the day, I felt like I had a lot more mobility, and the combination of melee/range was great, but now the classes (hunter esp) seem watered down and require doing less to play. Am I just playing them wrong, or did they really change that much?

The server I'm on seems full of guilds that just recruit anyone and everyone, and then no one chats in them. Are there solid guilds to be found that remains active, or is that par for the course these days?

Is PvP worth doing before max level? Battlegrounds anyway?

I'm level 63 now, is there anything I should know as I get closer to 100?

Thanks!

If you're leveling a brand new toon in the first time forever and do not have another max level toon to funnel gold in to it, I would strongly, strongly suggest you do not focus on buying heirllooms. At all. You're going to need roughly 8460 gold for your licenses and right now Hexweave Bags are going for cheap (fluctuating as low as 600 gold) because everyone is trying to unload all of their Draenor crafts and mats in preparation for Legion and the AH is flooded at the moment. You probably won't get Draenor Pathfinder anytime soon, and it probably isn't worth trying to grind out at this point in time, but then you'll have max level flying for legacy content--useful for when you farm old raids for gold--and when you get Legion Pathfinder.

carlsojo

I thought it was fine. Did it on Warlock, saw the basics for the Affliction spec, checked out the order halll, got my first artifact weapon. Like I wasn't expecting it to tell me about how I can cast underwater breathing lol

Boogdud

So speaking of the 100 boost, we had a hunter in trashran that had on aspect of the stun. We had 6 hunters and eventually all of them started calling out 'not me'. Narrowed it down to one guy (probably 15 minutes of yelling now) who admits it's him and asks the raid how to turn it off...

Heirlooms don't really make much of a difference in dungeons when leveling early on-nothing hits hard and tanks do all the damage. DPS is mostly along for the ride, and you can roll through without needing heirlooms. They are more noticable if you level through quests but that's generally much slower than chaining dungeons in the dungeon finder.

Heirlooms don't really make much of a difference in dungeons when leveling early on-nothing hits hard and tanks do all the damage. DPS is mostly along for the ride, and you can roll through without needing heirlooms. They are more noticable if you level through quests but that's generally much slower than chaining dungeons in the dungeon finder.

yeah the main benefit is getting like +50% xp and outlevelling a dungeon before you finish it on your first run

Somewhat related, are they doing the standard expansion patch thing of "xp needed from 90-100 is decreased by x amount?" I dunno if they've posted official patch notes or if its already known.

Got a druid that I want to get to 100 before the expansion but if it'll be quicker to wait i'll just wait and play a different guy

Jag

So speaking of the 100 boost, we had a hunter in trashran that had on aspect of the stun. We had 6 hunters and eventually all of them started calling out 'not me'. Narrowed it down to one guy (probably 15 minutes of yelling now) who admits it's him and asks the raid how to turn it off...

It's gone in one day. We lost full time cheetah too which sucks.

biaxident

Thank you so much! i wasnt expecting a reply. I will check it out tonight.

No problem, after the whole nostalrius thing I looked into the private stuff, looked into kronos and remember seeing a video about a tbc one and just had to find it. I believe its kara and heroics pre nerf atm, maybe gruuls just got added.

Azzinoth

Neo Member
Yes, the prepatch does. The new Legion honor system is level 110 only though.

Thanks. Guess I'll spend what I have left for more pvp xmog gear.

Anyone else going to rock survival hunter come Tuesday?

Yeah. Haven't done any research on what it's like so I'm hoping it's good surprise. Tho I play hunter mainly to get the range dps experience. Not too attached to the idea of melee with him unless it clicks with me and I really like it.

biaxident

Anyone else going to rock survival hunter come Tuesday?

I tried it out a bit, doesn't feel awful, but yeah enhance, fury, dk's just felt a lot better. I thought they should have gone more all in using bombs, traps, and turrets which would have fit the engineer survival fantasy. Gimme a machine gun turret and gyrocopter flying through dropping bombs. It's similar to what preach said in his preview vid. Go all in on the fantasy or bust.

Tarazet

Unholy...

I think he means a class with a pet that can take aggro off of you.

I was watching my significant other play a Demo Lock on beta. We took a break to eat, and he stayed in game. I said, "Hey, it looks like a bear is eating your demon." But the demon was just stubbornly staying at full life. It was displaying "absorb dodge parry" and never taking any damage at all. Literally an insurance policy against wife aggro getting you killed by pats.

dimb

I think he means a class with a pet that can take aggro off of you.
Yeah, just the level of control and interaction with the actual pets being summoned make Unholy typify "pet class" for me in Legion.

So I used LFR and "raided" for the first time tonight, because fuck it, why not. Turned out I had queued for the very last fight in HFC, it was a total shitshow buuuut kinda fun. Glad I had thumbed through the adventure's guide a bit before hopping in, so I at least had an idea of what was going on. I could see why an experienced player may dislike that though, it was such a gongshow. People not killing the Doom Spirits and the banishing thing were kinda funny.

Milennia

So I used LFR and "raided" for the first time tonight, because fuck it, why not. Turned out I had queued for the very last fight in HFC, it was a total shitshow buuuut kinda fun. Glad I had thumbed through the adventure's guide a bit before hopping in, so I at least had an idea of what was going on. I could see why an experienced player may dislike that though, it was such a gongshow. People not killing the Doom Spirits and the banishing thing were kinda funny.

im glad you finally decided to step into that part of the content

in my opinion raiding is why this game even exists at this point

cdyhybrid

So gold missions go away Tuesday but no Demon Hunters for like 4 weeks.

I wonder if I can stretch out cleaning out all the transmog shit in my banks for four weeks.

im glad you finally decided to step into that part of the content

in my opinion raiding is why this game even exists at this point

Kinda wished I had given it a shot sooner but I'll make sure to do so in Legion. At this point it's just content tourism to see what I missed out on while I leveled alts and junk.

Tenebrous

You are the 1%. 90% don't bother looking, and 9% don't know the AG exists.

the meese sales are amazing right now btw, made a cap tonight alone

Blehh, my guildies all flaked out. Don't even have the inventory space for Heart of Fear farming anymore, so I've been doing AQ20 runs on my Druid instead.

Robin64

I always quickly check the DPS section before every boss, even in dungeons. It takes two seconds, might as well. It's crazy more people don't, because it's basically "Do this to win", and people like to win.

Top Bottom