• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

CHC

What worries me most about this expansion is just the tone of presentation. Continuing to hammer on about how epic WoD was and the new story will be, while not really acknowledging that people hate it and it's severely lacking content or meaningful motivations for players to get off their asses and do stuff. Any plans they have to fix perceived problems (like 5 man dungeons) are totally vague and uncertain, meanwhile it just doesn't seem like there will be any more content than has been the norm lately. And there seems to be no urgency with placating existing fans.... No patch coming for current players, so at LEAST six more months of HFC, probably a year really.

The only thing I think they approached with the right tone was PvP. They opened the presentation by talking frankly about the issues with PVP and then went into a new system that is extensively reworked and seems like a legitimate long term solution. Sure they took flak for cribbing Call of Duty but I won't fault that - that system is functional, proven, and a hell of a lot better than the inelegant mess PVP is today. This seems to be the one area they really focused on improving the game on a deep-down, infrastructural level, and I appreciate that no matter which route they go with it.

cdyhybrid

What worries me most about this expansion is just the tone of presentation. Continuing to hammer on about how epic WoD was and the new story will be, while not really acknowledging that people hate it and it's severely lacking content or meaningful motivations for players to get off their asses and do stuff. Any plans they have to fix perceived problems (like 5 man dungeons) are totally vague and uncertain, meanwhile it just doesn't seem like there will be any more content than has been the norm lately. And there seems to be no urgency with placating existing fans.... No patch coming for current players, so at LEAST six more months of HFC, probably a year really.

The only thing I think they approached with the right tone was PvP. They opened the presentation by talking frankly about the issues with PVP and then went into a new system that is extensively reworked and seems like a legitimate long term solution. Sure they took flak for cribbing Call of Duty but I won't fault that - that system is functional, proven, and a hell of a lot better than the inelegant mess PVP is today. This seems to be the one area they really focused on improving the game on a deep-down, infrastructural level, and I appreciate that no matter which route they go with it.

Yeah, I would have liked more info on learning from the mistakes of WOD, but I didn't expect it at the announcement. Was hoping that would be what the Q&A this morning was for, but...yeah.

Hopefully we hear more at Blizzcon.

Khezu

Those helms sold poorly because they are fucking ugly, and don't go with any other gear.

They just make you look like an asshole.

They were pretty over priced too.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Impossible, but ideal.

Best we can hope for (in my opinion) is a Diablo 3 expansion announcement and a new Annual Pass.

i wonder how its going to work with the coins if thats what happens. hopefully there isnt some weird fine print that says you have to pay for the year with money

Tenebrous

i wonder how its going to work with the coins if thats what happens. hopefully there isnt some weird fine print that says you have to pay for the year with money

I'd tell them to fuck off and refuse to buy the D3 expansion. My 12 months sub has earned them more coin than any other 12 month sub, so the idea of being cut off from the deal is just bullshit.

I've enjoyed WoD tremendously while leveling up and continued to even when I initially hit the level 100 cap because I went for the Loremaster and Exploration Achievements in Draenor. I didn't do any dungeons while leveling up/questing because of how borked the leveling curve is in this game. As a new player I find it really strange that you can out-level the questing zone you are in and not have to complete it to move on.

If I had hit the level cap months before the 6.2 content patch came out I dunno what I would have done. I don't like fighting anything in the PVE anymore, it's a waste of time that nets you pretty much nothing. I've been collecting all of the treasure chests with maps bought from Warspear/Ashran but it's mostly just xmogs, toys and pets at this point. There's nothing really useful in most. In the Tannan Jungle stuff at least drops Aepexis Crystals (or whatever) so you get something out of the fight but it still feels tedious and unrewarding to slog through fights now. I would probably feel more inclined to actually fight stuff in the PVE if everything dropped the crystals now or just had a chance to and they dropped more gold.

I dunno if just chasing gear on my warrior is what I'm interested in doing, I dunno if I wanna go through LFD and then LFR (as a dps, hour long queue times) or join a guild and try to do those proper. Leveling up my garrison is expensive and time consuming, the time gates on everything are really starting to bother me now that my garrison is level 3 and I have the shipyard on top of it. Several cow clickers to worry about now, I think.

It's lame as hell I can't smelt True Steel Ingots. I have gathered the mats from the world and my mines, I have enough mats to craft that I could order the full plate mail set from my Smith or pay a blacksmith to do it but I'm gated by the Garrison Smith because for some fucking reason I can't smelt my own Draenor ores.

I think I'll just level up another class to 100 for Legion. Maybe an Orc Warlock because the class area sounds so awesome and so I can be a unique snowflake in the sea of Belf Demon Hunters.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Worst case scenario my playtime in Legion will be the same as WoD:

-Do 1 playthrough as Horde and 1 as Alliance
-Obtain Loremaster of the continent
-Check out the initial raids and dungeons
-Leveling an alt (in this case, a DH)

After all that is done i will stop playing and will only go back about 2 major patches later.

Tenebrous

Worst case scenario my playtime in Legion will be the same as WoD:

-Do 1 playthrough as Horde and 1 as Alliance
-Obtain Loremaster of the continent
-Check out the initial raids and dungeons
-Leveling an alt (in this case, a DH)

After all that is done i will stop playing and will go back about 2 major patches later.

I guess you've never returned to WoD.

Tenebrous

Adding a new class is the perfect time for Blizz to address account wide reputations.

I can see why it might be awkward (some quests give you shit loads of rep but only up to a point, do those on multiple toons and ta-da exalted with the most time consuming factions in 24 hours), but this really is something I'd love to see. Rerolling and missing a few titles I can live with, but 80+ exalted factions? Eh, that's harsh.

doublefrost

Neo Member
Trial accounts/starter editions are free.

Use them to grab some names on your server and just delete the characters when the extra slot comes for your main.

V-Faction

Going over some old .txt files of mine where I fanmade some Spells/Abilities of a potential Demon Hunter class (also a Tinkerer class) has made me realize... they could totally go with 3-specialization on the DH if they gave it some thought. And one of those could've definitely been a healing spec.

But what has me most excited is reworking the class specs like Survival Hunter, Marksman Hunter, Demonology Warlock (kinda have to), Fire Mage, to give them a better style. I've been a big proponent of having 4-specs on classes to fulfill just such a undertaking. If they can pull it off... it'll be like getting a "new" class to play around with.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
One of my characters got a "300% XP for 15 minutes" potion from a garrison mission. I thought it sounded a bit useless. I then logged on my alt who was just hitting Gorgrond and had an idea. Since the zone has so many bonus objectives I went around and cleared them all minus 1 kill. I then popped the potion, circled through them again to finish off the last kill.

Took me from level 94 to almost 98. I think I may buy another potion and do the same in Talador to hit 100. Nice and quick. I'm also going to get 2 of them to stash away just incase demon hunters start at 95 and need to do some Draenor zones.

Rixxan

can anyone recommend a safe site to purchase a character from? i have friends on another server so i would most likely need to rename, server transfer, (account transfer?)

ampere

Adding a new class is the perfect time for Blizz to address account wide reputations.

I think a solution is to stop adding "Get X reps" achievements and just add new ones for the reps within an expac.

can anyone recommend a safe site to purchase a character from? i have friends on another server so i would most likely need to rename, server transfer, (account transfer?)

There isn't a safe way to do this, and if you have problems you'll be SoL since Blizzard won't help you. Why not consider just using a level 90 boost and leveling to 100?

Rixxan

I think a solution is to stop adding "Get X reps" achievements and just add new ones for the reps within an expac.

There isn't a safe way to do this, and if you have problems you'll be SoL since Blizzard won't help you. Why not consider just using a level 90 boost and leveling to 100?

i guess i could do that, i just feel weird having such a blank character (no achievements or mounts or titles or anything)

i used to be glad in wotlk, on my original account with tons of progress. i sold a couple years ago - feel weird starting over but i guess it makes the most sense

What I'd really like to see out of an expansion is massive realm merging to something like Guild Wars 2 levels. Inter server guild play.

I'm doubtful this will happen, atleast not on a complete level because of the money they get from transfers. Still they've been doing more and more cross realm things over the years.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Well, this is at least a bit reassuring

I believe the map on the website is outdated, and the map in the gamescom presentation is correct. There's a zone there.

(Regarding the Thal'Dranath zone southeast of Broken Shore)

Also, in another recent tweet it was mentioned that they are pretty much intentionally keeping the lid on anything that might end up cut to avoid disappointment, so that can be extrapolated at least to imply that artifact, new pvp, and profession changes are fairly set in stone.

One of my characters got a "300% XP for 15 minutes" potion from a garrison mission. I thought it sounded a bit useless. I then logged on my alt who was just hitting Gorgrond and had an idea. Since the zone has so many bonus objectives I went around and cleared them all minus 1 kill. I then popped the potion, circled through them again to finish off the last kill.

Took me from level 94 to almost 98. I think I may buy another potion and do the same in Talador to hit 100. Nice and quick. I'm also going to get 2 of them to stash away just incase demon hunters start at 95 and need to do some Draenor zones.

And this is when you realize that you have no Garrison resources on the character and can't upgrade to level 3 to access Tanaan. I really don't know why people recommend this method if you seriously intend to play the character immediately and it hasn't been rotting at 90-something for months with a boatload of Garrison resources already. Unless that happens to be your case, then fine I guess.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
And this is when you realize that you have no Garrison resources on the character and can't upgrade to level 3 to access Tanaan. I really don't know why people recommend this method if you seriously intend to play the character immediately and it hasn't been rotting at 90-something for months with a boatload of Garrison resources already. Unless that happens to be your case, then fine I guess.

Just hit 100. 91-100 took around 3 hours. It was fun seeing how fast I can do it.
I need about 1800 garrison resources for T3. It is my 8th 100 so I am not really in a rush to get to Tanaan.

I wish they would do battle ground bonuses again, I think I've won one game with my Blood Elf Fire Mage (got 300 points!), so it's this uphill push chipping away the price of my battle chicken 25 honour points a loss.

I have XxIllidanxX on every server

What about xXxIllidanxXx?

Also, in another recent tweet it was mentioned that they are pretty much intentionally keeping the lid on anything that might end up cut to avoid disappointment, so that can be extrapolated at least to imply that artifact, new pvp, and profession changes are fairly set in stone.
Thal'Dranath coming in 7.2.

Ryaaan14

Banned
U silly people with Illidari names

Can't wait to name my DH

u0cp67cl.jpg

Peachpies

They added a trade-able item that gives 1000 resources so he could buy that if he was short on resources

ampere

Won't be bad when they finally add flying. Then vignette gathering will be quick

JSoup

Banned
And this is when you realize that you have no Garrison resources on the character and can't upgrade to level 3 to access Tanaan.

And that's when you realize there are 3000+ garrison resources just sitting out there in treasure format and can be gathered in about two hours.

What's the going rate for accounts these days anyway? I sold my first one during cata and I'm tempted to sell up this one. We're talking ~ 16k achievements and 270ish mounts.

Edit: not in a 'omg expansion looks bad selling my account now GG Blizz' kinda way, just that the way I play these days I can't really keep up with achievement hunting/mount farming so might as well cash in and start a fresh account that reflects what I have time for.

Zelias

Banned
And that's when you realize there are 3000+ garrison resources just sitting out there in treasure format and can be gathered in about two hours.
Yup, this is what I did with my Shaman. Didn't take long to get the resources required for the level 3 garrison.

I have four alts currently at 91, parked at their garrison to accumulate resources anyway heh.

Tenebrous

What's the going rate for accounts these days anyway? I sold my first one during cata and I'm tempted to sell up this one. We're talking ~ 16k achievements and 270ish mounts.

Edit: not in a 'omg expansion loos bad selling my account now GG Blizz' kinda way, just that the way I play these days I can't really keep up with achievement hunting/mount farming so might as well cash in and start a fresh account that reflects what I have time for.

I'd be tempted to do this, but I don't think I could ever get my perceived value for it... Or anywhere near.

Robin64

The problem with selling your account now is that it's also your Diablo, Starcraft, Hearthstone, and Overwatch account.

Fjordson

Hope that's true. I like what they've showed, just hoping it all makes it to live servers.

Also wondering if there's any chance at all for a surprise unveiling of new races at Blizzcon. Longshot at best, but that'd be sweet.

Cider X

I haven't played since February when my laptop died, but I'm thinking of resubbing for a month. Has the next PvP season started and are they using the system where I can buy the old iLvl 650 PvP gear for honor again?

Top Bottom