• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
ZIz3u9H.png

Interesting. I'm cautiously optimistic that they will deliver what they announced so far.

Tenebrous

The problem with selling your account now is that it's also your Diablo, Starcraft, Hearthstone, and Overwatch account.

Yup. D3+RoS Para 500+, SC2 + HotS, HS with quite a few cards, 12 level 100s on WoW with 20k Achieves plenty of unobtainable pets/mounts/factions & 24 maxed professions.

It's just a shame. I'd get rid of it all for a decent price if I could, but my idea of decent is probably nowhere near that of someone else.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Also wondering if there's any chance at all for a surprise unveiling of new races at Blizzcon. Longshot at best, but that'd be sweet.

Zero percent chance, if for no other reason than that the features trailer already exists. I'm sure there will be a lot of new info at blizzcon, probably a lot of actual details of things they were vague or uncertain about at Gamescom. Profession changes, dungeon relevance, more artifacts and class order locations.

komplanen

Does anyone have a brief summery of what was promised in WoD that we didn't get?

Farahlon
Karabor/Bladespire
Iron Docks quest hub (https://twitter.com/Bashiok/status/568125120562094081)
Tanaan Jungle
Trial of the Gladiator
Battle Pet Breeding/Epic Pets
Multiple garrison features: the ability to put your garrison is various locations, renaming your epic followers, garrison Trophies for killing rares/elite mobs in Draenor, Building Garrison Defences
Diablo 3-style transmog system (it was being worked on as at November 2013)
PvP Spectator Mode (confirmation needed)
Fixing Stormwind
Blood Elf Models (delayed till 6.1)
Heirloom Tab (delayed till 6.1)

Found that list online. Actually it is quite a bit now that I look at it.

Farahlon
Karabor/Bladespire
Tanaan Jungle
Trial of the Gladiator
Multiple garrison features: the ability to put your garrison is various locations, renaming your epic followers, garrison Trophies for killing rares/elite mobs in Draenor, Building Garrison Defences
Fixing Stormwind

Karabor & Shattrath being cut still hurts the most. I was expecting atleast one more raid tier before we got the next expansion. Tanaan is massively disappointing as well, it feels empty compared to the island.

I thought they revealed quite a bit, a lot more than they thought. Going in I thought we were only getting a 5 min trailer with some features demonstrated, and more at Blizzcon.

LIttle over 2 months isn't so far away for Blizzcon. I'm juggling 3 MMO's (WoW, FFXIV & SWTOR) right now so I'm not so content starved.

I like the speculation that the Warrior artifacts weren't shown because
Varian might die and we get his sword.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Karabor & Shattrath being cut still hurts the most. I was expecting atleast one more raid tier before we got the next expansion. Tanaan is massively disappointing as well, it feels empty compared to the island.

Yeah I am really unimpressed with Tanaan as well. It just doesn't feel like a place worth being; you are only there to get your dailies done as quickly as possible and leave. It is perhaps the most theme-park area in the whole game. The entire island is just cut up in to individual apexis quest zones, none of which feel particularly interesting or unique.

It's weird, because although Timeless Isle didn't seem to have a whole lot of content on paper, it was still a place that people liked to just hang out at and do whatever. It actually felt like a single cohesive location. Tanaan doesn't.

Anoregon

Illidan is never surprised by duplicity.

ZenaxPure

It's weird, because although Timeless Isle didn't seem to have a whole lot of content on paper, it was still a place that people liked to just hang out at and do whatever. It actually felt like a single cohesive location. Tanaan doesn't.

TI was designed as a sandbox zone, Tanaan wasn't (blizz said this themselves). There just isn't any replayability there like there was on TI. A big part of that is from the reward structure which imo is still awful now a month later. Apexis crystal generation sucks compared to timeless coins. The major rare spawns on TI gave a ton of coins where as the major rare spawns in Tanaan drop literally 0 crystals. The lesser rare spawns in Tanaan only drop around 40ish which means you need to kill over 100 if you want to buy a single 650 loot token, who is realistically going to spend time doing that?

To me Tanaan just feels like a zone with one foot in each design philosphy without commiting to one. The structured aspects of it are terrible (apexis style quests means no setting/atmosphere/story like normal daily quests and they feel more like a slog + one time treasure hunt that is kinda fun but lasts only a couple of hours at most) and the few sandbox aspects the zone actually has doesn't offer enough rewards to make it worth your time.

Draxal

Yeah I am really unimpressed with Tanaan as well. It just doesn't feel like a place worth being; you are only there to get your dailies done as quickly as possible and leave. It is perhaps the most theme-park area in the whole game. The entire island is just cut up in to individual apexis quest zones, none of which feel particularly interesting or unique.

I just loved Jade Forest, and Timeless Isle was Jade Forest 2.0. Where Tanaan is just a weird mismash of conflicting ideas.

JSoup

Banned
I really feel like the fang drops from Saberon could use a boost. I just downed a group of 30 + 1 rare spawn, why did I get hardly 30 fangs?

Robin64

It doesn't help that Tanaan is all Fel shit in a dense dark jungle.

Yeah, I care about aesthetics, especially when I'm asked to be there every day.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Tanaan was a lot of fun for 3 weeks or so. I enjoyed hunting down all the rares, maxing the reps and collecting the treasures. After that there's nothing to do and it's not interesting enough to do over again on alts. It's definitely not enough content to hold us over as the last patch.

lazygecko

So how do you feel about the state of proffesions, apart from the garrison problems? I think they're way overdue for a substantial overhaul. For one, the interface is still precisely the same as it was in 2004 vanilla back when it was made for like 1024x768 displays. They should have done something about that long ago. The way you need to scroll all over the place, as well as shuffle around between different panels because you can't have several open at the same time (like prof windows and vendor windows) is just ridiculous.

They need to seriously rethink the way they are leveled as well. The catchup mechanics added in MoP and WoD mostly just feel like bandaid.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
But it's the Biggest Content Patch Ever™

That is probably true. Just a lot of the content (hey there, shipyard) wasn't really all that fun.

So how do you feel about the state of proffesions, apart from the garrison problems? I think they're way overdue for a substantial overhaul. For one, the interface is still precisely the same as it was in 2004 vanilla back when it was made for like 1024x768 displays. They should have done something about that long ago. The way you need to scroll all over the place, as well as shuffle around between different panels because you can't have several open at the same time (like prof windows and vendor windows) is just ridiculous.

They need to seriously rethink the way they are leveled as well. The catchup mechanics added in MoP and WoD mostly just feel like bandaid.

They said they would be making some changes to professions and the interface for Legion.

Certain addons fix this, but yeah.

And about Tanaan - I'm completely done with it outside of farming 5k claws which is just a chore.

Timeless Isle there's still half a dozen things for me to acquire at least. Albeit they're mostly 1% drops on rares that take an hour+ to respawn :(

Interfectum

Farahlon
Karabor/Bladespire
Tanaan Jungle
Trial of the Gladiator
Fixing Stormwind

The only big thing I can remember (and "promised" is inaccurate) is the Farahlon zone.

Grommash as the final boss.

Besides design decisions and whatnot, is there a technical reason why Blizzard is so slow at keeping WoW filled with new content on even a monthly basis? Why is there so much time in between patches now? Are their tools tough to work with and/or is their engine aging badly behind the scenes?

They claim the WoW dev team is bigger than ever but I don't really see where those man hours are going.

Artanisix

My biggest hope for Legions is that we go back to badass armor sets for challenge modes 8)

Challenge modes were my favorite part of WoD when I played. The weapon is cool, but armor sets are even COOLER. Unless we get a super cool artifact transmog for challenge modes.

omg...give me illidan warglaives for challenge mode and i'll be happy

Anoregon

Besides design decisions and whatnot, is there a technical reason why Blizzard is so slow at keeping WoW filled with new content on even a monthly basis? Why is there so much time in between patches now? Are their tools tough to work with and/or is their engine aging badly behind the scenes?

They claim the WoW dev team is bigger than ever but I don't really see where those man hours are going.

Blizzard seems to have some severe organizational/structural issues that are seriously bogging down their content development. It is likely that there is next to no autonomy, and that every little change or addition likely requires multiple levels of approvals and evaluation. This would certainly make the actual speed at which new content can be created and iterated on extremely hamstrung.

There's really no excuse at this point. The industry is full of online games with exponentially faster rates of content releases. Blizzard really has to figure their shit out.

Entropia

No One Remembers
My biggest hope for Legions is that we go back to badass armor sets for challenge modes 8)

Challenge modes were my favorite part of WoD when I played. The weapon is cool, but armor sets are even COOLER. Unless we get a super cool artifact transmog for challenge modes.

omg...give me illidan warglaives for challenge mode and i'll be happy

I'm afraid I may have some bad news for you;
http://www.mmo-champion.com/content...-Blue-Posts-Pet-Battle-Bonus-Event-Legion-Art
The team likes challenge modes and wants to try and make them more accessible. They aren't guaranteed to be added to Legion.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Blizzard seems to have some severe organizational/structural issues that are seriously bogging down their content development. It is likely that there is next to no autonomy, and that every little change or addition likely requires multiple levels of approvals and evaluation. This would certainly make the actual speed at which new content can be created and iterated on extremely hamstrung.

There's really no excuse at this point. The industry is full of online games with exponentially faster rates of content releases. Blizzard really has to figure their shit out.
It really either boils down to this or their budgets have been slashed to nothing. It's the only way i can reconcile how terribly sparse wod was with content.

Anoregon

It really either boils down to this or their budgets have been slashed to nothing. It's the only way i can reconcile how terribly sparse wod was with content.

I don't think it is budgetary. The primary aspect of a budget for game development is employee pay, and short of accusing Blizzard of straight-out lying, they have had an ever-increasing WoW dev team since before WoD was announced.

Artanisix

"I'm afraid I may have some bad news for you;
http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/5073-Dev-Interviews-August-6-7-Hotfixes-Blue-Posts-Pet-Battle-Bonus-Event-Legion-Art"

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Tenebrous

Survival Hunters will be a melee class with pet going forward.
Beast Mastery Hunters will fight at range with a pet.
Marksmanship Hunters will fight at range with no pet.
Demonology Warlocks will also be getting some bigger changes, focusing more on their demons.
Demonology Warlocks will be refocused on summoning and controlling demons rather than having Metamorphosis dominate. Other specs will still have access to demons.
Discipline Priests

Disc Priests are going to be a much more offensive healer after another pass on Atonement which will make it more interactive.
They will still have heals and PW:S, but they will sustain their healing through doing DPS.
Closer to 50% damage and 50% healing spec.
In the past, when Atonement was popular you would just spam Smite and Holy Fire all fight long and use the smart healing, which wasn't very interactive. This time, you may throw out some single target heals giving players a buff. Next time you Smite, people who have that buff will get your healing, and you will have to refresh the buff periodically.
These changes should fix the absorb heavy nature of Discipline Priests.

Holy Priests will still be all about healing.

Fair play, these all look like really positive changes.

Anoregon

I hope the changes to Discipline pan out. That sort of spec sounds a lot of fun, but Blizzard has yet to really make it work with previous versions of Atonement or monk Fistweaving.

I only like CMs for the rewards. Actually doing them is not that enjoyable IMO. But part of that is being in a big raiding guild and not necessarily having a tight-knit group to do them with. Also being a less desirable spec.

Aeana

Huh.
I don't know much about the current state of healers in the game, since I just returned and hadn't played since Wrath, but does that mean there won't be any preventative healers in the game now?

Anoregon

Huh.
I don't know much about the current state of healers in the game, since I just returned and hadn't played since Wrath, but does that mean there won't be any preventative healers in the game now?

They are still going to have PW:S, but it looks like it won't be their primary mechanic anymore. I would assume the overall strength/effectiveness will be reduced.

CHC

The only thing I can imagine is a lot of fucking around (in terms of management) in the studios. As in, spend X months working on this feature, followed by "ah what are we doing!?" moments where most of that work is scrapped and remade, etc. I think they still strive for perfection internally, but it leads to a lot of redundant work and crises of management. I think part of the problem is that WoW lacks a central focus right now, and thus work is kind of spread thin over a bunch of different areas. Garrisons, for example, probably took ENORMOUS amounts of work just to bend WoW's aging engine to do be able to accomplish base-building and management. Integrating all those new mechanics probably took forever and in the end they could have used that to make another raid or two. So in short, poorly managed direction of time would be my guess.

But again, I think it stems from the questions of what WoW is "all about" today. Is it about getting to the end and raiding? Is it about PvP? Base-building and casual management of followers? Or questing, with big cinematics and instanced content? They are spread very thin and that's part of the problem too.

Years ago these long waits were excusable because Blizzard released only really high quality, really passionately made content, but it's not OK anymore. The world has also changed - people aren't content to play the same raid for a year anymore, and that is a prime factor in the peaks and troughs model of subscription patterns.

Artanisix

"I only like CMs for the rewards. Actually doing them is not that enjoyable IMO. But part of that is being in a big raiding guild and not necessarily having a tight-knit group to do them with. Also being a less desirable spec."

Learning and executing CMs was more fun than anything else for me. There was something very captivating about being gear capped and figuring out the most efficient strategy for not just each boss but each pull.

Huh.

Shaman is still preventative. I just spam rain and tide everywhere and yolo chain heal hoping to at least get third on healing, first on overhealing.

TheYanger

Huh.

Disc is in a perpetual state of overpowered as fuck, there's no real way for the other healers to function well when that spec exists as it has for the past 6 years.

"I only like CMs for the rewards. Actually doing them is not that enjoyable IMO. But part of that is being in a big raiding guild and not necessarily having a tight-knit group to do them with. Also being a less desirable spec."

Learning and executing CMs was more fun than anything else for me. There was something very captivating about being gear capped and figuring out the most efficient strategy for not just each boss but each pull.

That's the part I enjoyed last expansion, but sockets and vengeance completely ruined them. This time out, idk I just never got into them in the first place. I think my biggest issue is that the basic strategies didn't change from last expansion, so it felt kind of worn. I spent SOOOO much time working on strats in mop and here it's like...the specifics are different but the generalities are all the same. It gets a bit worn to me. I do appreciate that to compete after the first few months I no longer need to go get a set of gear with 23 sockets on it.

Figure out what you need for mob count. Decide if it's worth invising past any major portions and still hitting that target, try to find any cheese that lets you do dungeon specific stuff. Once that's all sussed out you pull as much of the trash at the same time as you can manage, POSSIBLY with the boss. Not having vengeance makes it a bit more challenging (you can't just pull like 5 groups together and chain CDs while the tank solos it all) but it's still really similar. I appreciate the stuff in like Skyreach for instance where personal play has a large effect on things, flash bangs and lots of mobs that are good to interrupt, chakrams, lots of things to look out for in a tense situation. But most dungeons aren't quite like that.

RPGCrazied

Rogues might get the Dalaran Sewers as a class hall? The fuck? Did they forget they already have a kick ass place to put a class hall for rogues?

latest

Anoregon

Yeah that's kind of weird, it literally sounds like they actually forgot Ravenholdt is a thing.

What's the current flying grind now? Has the time been shortened? Thinking of taking a 7 day and seeing what I can do. All of my characters except 2 are at 90 and them being able to fly in Draenor would certainly help leveling them for Legion.

Top Bottom