• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

I recently levelled 1 to 60 on a PvP realm. I had one encounter with an enemy player at the Stonetalon entrance, and then one more in Felwood. That was it for my entire journey. Sad times.

I just did the same on Sargeras. Took like ~8 hours. After 15 I never touched a quest again. Just as it should be. Questing is terrible.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I know one thing for sure
warlords-of-draenor-back-to-work-1.jpg

I'm not doing it week one again for this next expansion

Feel like it's time for them to make a new faction of enemies. Sha were a nice attempt but they came back to old gods.

It doesn't even have to be anything cosmic or a deity. I kind of liked fighting the Iron Horde, they really didn't need to bring Demons back into the fray. I liked the original premise of the expansion where each clan had a distinct identity.

ZenaxPure

Feel like it's time for them to make a new faction of enemies. Sha were a nice attempt but they came back to old gods.

It doesn't even have to be anything cosmic or a deity. I kind of liked fighting the Iron Horde, they really didn't need to bring Demons back into the fray.

Yeah this is what I've been saying forever, give me new stuff blizz! I enjoyed all the new races/enemies of Pandaria but they were still woven into existing lore (which makes sense honestly considering the history of the planet with the sundering and all that). But what it really did is make me realize more than anything I just want to see some entirely new enemies that aren't tied to existing lore in any way possible.

Iron Horde never did anything for me because of how incompetent they were. Literally their only major accomplishment was destroying Nethergarde Keep and taking over Dreadmaul Hold. The moment we enter the portal we begin kicking their ass harder than we have ever kicked the ass of any enemy prior.

Yeah this is what I've been saying forever, give me new stuff blizz! I enjoyed all the new races/enemies of Pandaria but they were still woven into existing lore (which makes sense honestly considering the history of the planet with the sundering and all that). But what it really did is make me realize more than anything I just want to see some entirely new enemies that aren't tied to existing lore in any way possible.

Iron Horde never did anything for me because of how incompetent they were. Literally their only major accomplishment was destroying Nethergarde Keep and taking over Dreadmaul Hold. The moment we enter the portal we begin kicking their ass harder than we have ever kicked the ass of any enemy prior.

The new faction wouldn't even have to be naturally inclined toward evil for me. I liked stuff like the Arrakoa and the Ethereals that were just sort of there, having their own agendas. Maybe a consortium of new races we're fighting for a resource that we need. Or just make us the sort-of bad guys for the expansion, doing shit we think is good but then learning that it's more morally grey. Just something that is a break from demons and corruption.

The titans shit is fine but they've been teasing us since vanilla with that shit. Remember staring at the gates of Uldum for years? And then it sucks? Resurrect Sargeras and let's go. Bring Khaz and Amun in and let's go. No more of this old god tentacle monster shit.

Shahadan

The titans shit is fine but they've been teasing us since vanilla with that shit. Remember staring at the gates of Uldum for years? And then it sucks? Resurrect Sargeras and let's go. Bring Khaz and Amun in and let's go. No more of this old god tentacle monster shit.

Uldum didn't suck though. And lorewise there was a huge deal in there.

Also, many storylines we had since vanilla or war3 are coming to an end or at the very least a big development in Legion and people are already whining it's lazy fan service. :lol:

"lol blizzard is so afraid for their subs they're now checking boxes"

Uldum was just the place where the wind monsters were because Deathwing said so. All the titan stuff in there is fluff, the new races are throw away, nothing happens there. Ulduar is much better in that sense but anything outside of Algalon is bleh.

Level 100, do a couple of weeks worth of dailies for 3 Tanaan reputations, get loremaster, explorer, find a bunch of treasures and do the old apexis dailies.

So, still then same.

How many weeks is the grind now? I'm pretty much at lore master, half way done with apexis and done with treasures.

Shahadan

Uldum was just the place where the wind monsters were because Deathwing said so. All the titan stuff in there is fluff, the new races are throw away, nothing happens there. Ulduar is much better in that sense but anything outside of Algalon is bleh.

wat. The huge titan machine allowing reorigination of the world is not a small detail. It was the reason the region was hidden in the first place. It's my favorite cata zone precisely because there is a lot going on and the cata storyline is hiding deeper and more interesting stuff.

I agree though there should have been a titan raid there to allow a heavier focus, but they probably didn't want to do ulduar 2

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
How many weeks is the grind now? I'm pretty much at lore master, half way done with apexis and done with treasures.

It's about 2-3 weeks of doing the tanaan dailies every day to hit revered with two of them. The third can be ground out in much less time.

CassSept

wat. The huge titan machine allowing reorigination of the world is not a small detail. It was the reason the region was hidden in the first place. It's my favorite cata zone precisely because there is a lot going on and the cata storyline is hiding deeper and more interesting stuff.

I agree though there should have been a titan raid there to allow a heavier focus, but they probably didn't want to do ulduar 2

It feels like it was completely glossed over. If you focus you will remember that there was some titan weapon there indeed but it was barely a footnote in the expansion, not a real threat.

Uldumn was the best cata zone, and still one of my favorite zones in the game, stop hating yo.

The team is considering allowing players to transmog their Mists of Pandaria legendary cloak and Warlords legendary ring, as they were available for a limited time. They want to avoid a situation like everyone farming Warglaives for transmog.

I'm not sure I understand, why would you transmog a ring? You can't even see them.

"lol blizzard is so afraid for their subs they're now checking boxes"

Illidan, Demon hunter, Dalaran, usable ashbringer/doomhammer etc, they're 100% just checking the fanservice boxes.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Illidan, Demon hunter, Dalaran, usable ashbringer/doomhammer etc, they're 100% just checking the fanservice boxes.

Artifacts are the only thing that really feel like out-of-left-field fanservice, Demon Hunters were an inevitability and always the most sought/likely class to be added next, and Blizzard hasn't been that canny about how likely it is that we will see Illidan again.

Probably the proc effect.

Oh, well the proc looks pretty lame anyways, not worth going to back to farm it for transmog I guess.

Man they really they screwed the pooch with the legendary this time, a ring which you can't even see, with no passive visual, boring active visual, activated 2m CD shared with the raid.

Most underwhelming shit they could have possibly come up with, even the mop meta gem thing was cooler.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

But the old gods are the most interesting and mysterious part of it all.

Titans are sort of cut and dry.

I personally want to start going to more different planets, but that would certainly mean more Burning Legion adventures

ZenaxPure

It feels like it was completely glossed over. If you focus you will remember that there was some titan weapon there indeed but it was barely a footnote in the expansion, not a real threat.

Was doing some reading up on HoO because of this thread (and the fact I really just enjoyed the shit out of that dungeon) and apparently at some point blizz clarified that the dungeon is actually the device Algalon was going to activate from Ulduar for his re-origination. One of those things that isn't explicatly spelled out in the game but makes logical sense given what happens in there (the HoO quest chain ends with Braan accidentally activating a re-origination).

I mark it down as one of those things that should have been handled better. I like Uldum but there are some things about that zone I would have changed, namely toning down the comedy bits of the zone with Harrison (as that is seriously like half the zone).

Artifacts are the only thing that really feel like out-of-left-field fanservice, Demon Hunters were an inevitability and always the most sought/likely class to be added next, and Blizzard hasn't been that canny about how likely it is that we will see Illidan again.

Yeah Metzen has been talking about bringing Illidan back for years now. Not sure I would consider it fan service as much as I would consider it Metzen-service. As for Demon Hunters there is an interview from just a couple of days ago where they said they wanted Demon Hunters in the game all the way back in TBC but couldn't fit it in. Legion is the first time it makes sense to add them since the class always matches the theme of the expansion.

Shahadan

-Illidan is fan service yes and was teased for years. It's dumb but whatever.
- Dalaran is just a reused asset to save time, nothing fan service in there.
-Demon Hunter was supposed to be added since BC and it's part of the lore. Becoming a playable class was inevitable. I don't know why delaying a class until the lore allows it to make sense and re-appear is "fan service" Seems the opposite to me.
-"etc" doesn't exist
-artifacts are in the game since before vanilla, they just never implemented the idea. There was a color for them, and they promised people could someday wield ashbringer and co at the time. they just never did it. Now that there is a reason to wield those powerful artifact instead of their respective owners, they're doing it
-Turalyon and Alleria? Teased since BC that they were in the twisting nether or some shit, everyone has been supposing for years that they would come back once the legion arrives on azeroth

My point is, people classify as fan service stuff that have been around for a decade and were obviously only happening once the legion comes back.
The worst part is a lot of people are claiming the legion coming back on azeroth is now fan service, despite wanting it for years and being the whole point of the warcraft storyline.

Well if you ignore half the quests in the zone (involving harrison jones and bronzebeard) taking you on an adventure to uncover uldum's secret, and then stopping the world from being reduced to its primary organic material, destroying the weapon and instantly make a desert green, then yes, probably.

ampere

Isn't putting things in the expansion that players will be excited about the whole point?

I mean the story is pretty cheesy no matter how you look at it anyway. Though I am not a fan of bringing back "dead" characters, and this whole "demons can't die" thing is very bland.

Shahadan

Though I am not a fan of bringing back "dead" characters, and this whole "demons can't die" thing is very bland.

This will come back to bite their ass, and it was handled very poorly. You could tell no one had any idea about it.
I wouldn't be surprised if they never even thought about the Legion itself. This is almost litterally the first information we get about them.
Also the whole summoning/invading thing never makes sense. Why can't they enter azeroth? How are they even accessing worlds? Why would they only send small forces/demons?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
-Illidan is fan service yes and was teased for years. It's dumb but whatever.
- Dalaran is just a reused asset to save time, nothing fan service in there.
-Demon Hunter was supposed to be added since BC and it's part of the lore. Becoming a playable class was inevitable. I don't know why delaying a class until the lore allows it to make sense and re-appear is "fan service" Seems the opposite to me.
-"etc" doesn't exist
-artifacts are in the game since before vanilla, they just never implemented the idea. There was a color for them, and they promised people could someday wield ashbringer and co at the time. they just never did it. Now that there is a reason to wield those powerful artifact instead of their respective owners, they're doing it
-Turalyon and Alleria? Teased since BC that they were in the twisting nether or some shit, everyone has been supposing for years that they would come back once the legion arrives on azeroth

My point is, people classify as fan service stuff that have been around for a decade and were obviously only happening once the legion comes back.
The worst part is a lot of people are claiming the legion coming back on azeroth is now fan service, despite wanting it for years and being the whole point of the warcraft storyline.

That is the exact point. It's a little weird that people don't seem to see it staring them in the face like that.

They didn't make the expansion everyone wanted/wants until their subscriber numbers are dropping like a rock.

Legion would've been a much better followup to Cataclysm. MoP and WoD really make no sense to ever need to exist.

Why did they make monks before demon hunters? Who was asking for Monk?

This will come back to bite their ass, and it was handled very poorly. You could tell no one had any idea about it.
I wouldn't be surprised if they never even thought about the Legion itself. This is almost litterally the first information we get about them.
Also the whole summoning/invading thing never makes sense. Why can't they enter azeroth? How are they even accessing worlds? Why would they only send small forces/demons?

You can tell you never played WC3 when...

Demons are ephemeral beings in the regular world. Their 'souls' have been tied to the twisting nether forever. Especially the nathrezim, who are a step below most of the powerful demons.

And they can't enter Azeroth at will (besides killing the plot instantly) because they require an immense source of power and a summoner the more powerful the demon. Sargeras required the well of etnernity, Archimonde required Kel'thuzad and the book of medivh, Kil'jaeden used the Sunwell.

CassSept

Well if you ignore half the quests in the zone (involving harrison jones and bronzebeard) taking you on an adventure to uncover uldum's secret, and then stopping the world from being reduced to its primary organic material, destroying the weapon and instantly make a desert green, then yes, probably.

I did this chain once 5 years ago, sorry, but the lore behind it didn't stand out. It felt like a huge reference to Indiana Jones and nazis (A TURKEY NAMED GOBBLES) and not much more, including the climax which reminded me of Raiders climax. They should have not hid such crucial lore details behind what amounts to a Blizzard-style comedy chain quest.

I usually remember individual zones plotlines and if you asked me a few hours ago what Uldum was about I would have said some Tol'vir war and Indiana Jones spoof and I almost always read quest texts. As indicated by this thread, I wasn't the only one who didn't catch it either.

Yeah metzen has said repeatedly since like 3-4 years ago they were looking to bring back Illidan.

I do think they're doing a lot of fan service though. The emerald dream stuff seems out of left field, I thought they specifically wrapped that storyline up in a book about Malfurion.

I don't get the TBC 2.0 complaints though, if anything WoD is TBC 2.0. We're not on Draenor anymore and we're dealing with the legion attacking us.

komplanen

Trying to think what faction/race/class to return as but the first step of choosing a server seems kinda hard to begin with.

realmpop.com comes super handy but numbers aren't everything...

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I don't get the TBC 2.0 complaints though, if anything WoD is TBC 2.0. We're not on Draenor anymore and we're dealing with the legion attacking us.

I never understood this feeling. TBC was about going into a broken world dominated by demons, it was different than the classic fantasy setting, while WoD was about...Orcs.

TheYanger

http://www.wowprogress.com/realms/rank/us is what I'd use. it's only counting people with raid kills, but in reality those are the people that are engaging wtih the game and economy more anyway (The pvp community is significantly smaller and I'd just check arenajunkies there, I know they always gravitate towards a couple of servers on the same battlegroup).

Score is basically how many/how good the guilds there are in terms of progression, but pop will show you how many people are doing anything at all. (IE: Stormrage alliance is way more populated than Frostmourne Alliance, but frostmourne has a higher score because the guilds there are flat out better). You just want a highish pop server with a decent amount of guilds for your faction.

Trying to think what faction/race/class to return as but the first step of choosing a server seems kinda hard to begin with.

realmpop.com comes super handy but numbers aren't everything...

At this point play whatever is fun to you. They're giving out a lvl 100 boost and it's almost pointless to decide at this time because we haven't seen the class changes they have planned for Legion.

They barely mentioned info on melee hunter at Gamescomm, I'm sure they've got a ton to talk about at Blizzcon. The whole motif this expansion seems to be about playing out class fantasies.

Trying to find a balanced pvp server is a hopeless effort. World pvp isn't as great as it used to be before flying mounts, it will usually amounts to level 100s ganking people at hellfire and hyjal. I'm enjoying alliance on stormrage.

TheYanger

With OpenRaid do you have to show up consistently every week or do you just sign up whenever you feel like it?

Openraid is just signups. It's a great site. I used to use it to get into flex groups easily on my alts last xpac. The in game group finder diminishes it a tad for on the spot group filling, but it's gotta be good for finding scheduled runs still.

Anoregon

I got my standard WOD key refunded after buying the CE last month. I'd like to sell it for $10 under MSRP. Any takers?

I just noticed this post, and one of my buddies bought WoD for full price last night.

Oh well!

So is OpenRaid really something worth checking out?

With OpenRaid do you have to show up consistently every week or do you just sign up whenever you feel like it?

You don't have to do anything you don't want to, you select the raids yourself and the leader approves or rejects you. If you find a good group, you can just keep them on battle.net and add them as a friend on raider finder and keep joining their group.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So is OpenRaid really something worth checking out?

I like it. It's usually much more reliable than Group Finder or the old OQ system because the person leading the group actually knows what to bring normally. It's good for finding stuff you need weekly. Like that's how I got my DK's mythic/heroic MSV transmog

Anoregon

Eh, WoD felt more like Cata 2.0 with cartoonish evil cast of villains and everything being HARRDCORE and BADASS.

SAVAGE SAVAGE SAVAGE SAVAGE SAVAGE SAVAGE SAVAGE SAVAGE SAVAGE

I'm back in hard. Can't stop thinking about WoW. I bought WoD but never got to max level. I bet there's enough content for me to enjoy beofre Legion. Got my Shaman up to 98. Are they any good?

Anoregon

I'm back in hard. Can't stop thinking about WoW. I bought WoD but never got to max level. I bet there's enough content for me to enjoy beofre Legion. Got my Shaman up to 98. Are they any good?

Ele was awful then amazing then average now I think it's kind of crappy again?
Enhance has been medicore the entire xpac I think, but has great AoE.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Enhance has been medicore the entire xpac I think, but has great AoE.

It was really strong on certain fights in the first tier because of the buffs to fire nova make it stack. Enhance will never be a priority to them anymore. Not since Cata. Doubly so with Demon Hunters around.
I wish I didn't enjoy it so much.

Top Bottom