• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Oh christ, that's another horrific insult of 4.3 that I managed to forget (probably exactly because it was downgraded to an instance). Well of Eternity, a lake of immeasurable energy, a terrifying force that gave races of Azeroth sentience and destruction of which teared the ancient continent of Kalimdor asunder, sunk the cultural heritage of night elves and the glorious city of Azshara stretching at it's coasts and left permanent mark on the world with the fearsome Maelstrom, forever churning.

It's a small pond, barely wider than a large swimming pool. Zin Azshari truly most have been a sight to behold /s

Yeah that was kind of disappointing. The Sunwell was also pretty small too, big enough for Kil'jaedan to hang out in like a sauna, but I suppose the Sunwell was never meant to be huge.

Man I love Vashj'ir so much. All of the Cata zones are pretty fun to play through imo.

Man, I didn't like Vashj'ir at all. It seems most people are split on it.

Robin64

Didn't really like any Cata zones, bar Hyjal.

Vashj'ir was terrible as melee in a 3D space.
Uldum was far too much Harrison Jones comedy crap.
Deepholm had zero variety, just one big cave that went on.. and on..
Twilight Highlands was.. well that one was okay, just nothing special. Forgettable, I suppose.

And worse still, they were just all so distant from each other, Cata lacked a coherent whole.

Vashj'ir was great the first time, loved it, only got better the further you went, did it as a DK.

But never again.

Uldumn was perfect in almost every way imaginable.

Deepholm was meh, twilight highlands was meh and had like 700 intro quests just get to the damn place, hyjal, eh no real complaints.

RPGCrazied

Trying to see how far I can go soloing on my ilvl 650 BM hunter. Did every raid including Icecrown Citadel. Finally got that kingslayer title! And a cool 2 hander sword I hope I can mog on my DK with this new transmog thing in 7.0.

I really want to try Firelands, but I think that is when its starting getting hard. Though my pet never lost any life in any other raids so far.

iirate

Didn't really like any Cata zones, bar Hyjal.

Vashj'ir was terrible as melee in a 3D space.
Uldum was far too much Harrison Jones comedy crap.
Deepholm had zero variety, just one big cave that went on.. and on..
Twilight Highlands was.. well that one was okay, just nothing special. Forgettable, I suppose.

And worse still, they were just all so distant from each other, Cata lacked a coherent whole.

I agree on Uldum and the Highlands, and I think Hyjal is pretty dull beyond the first run, but I still love Vashj'ir and Deepholm. Vashj'ir certainly may have been helped by the fact that I ran it on many ranged characters before my first melee character went through.

Trying to see how far I can go soloing on my ilvl 650 BM hunter. Did every raid including Icecrown Citadel. Finally got that kingslayer title! And a cool 2 hander sword I hope I can mog on my DK with this new transmog thing in 7.0.

I really want to try Firelands, but I think that is when its starting getting hard. Though my pet never lost any life in any other raids so far.

You'll be fine, just kill facehunger or w/e first on shannox and then gib shannox before you resses and you have to do it again, rest is faceroll.

Also we have no idea if the new transmog thing will be cross character yet.

Fjordson

Seems like it. There's other zones I'd love to check out. We're talking about bringing up another character just so we can see other stuff. :\
Cata didn't hold my attention in the long run, but the new zones and the improvements to the old ones were really great. So many excellent questlines.

And the alts aren't a bad idea. Some of my alts have just been story alts really, to experience zones I hadn't before lol.

Man, I didn't like Vashj'ir at all. It seems most people are split on it.
Defiitely. My brother and other people I know who play didn't like it much. I thought it was great, though. Loved the look of it, the quests, random stuff like the giant whale shark. Just a cool area.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Man I love Vashj'ir so much. All of the Cata zones are pretty fun to play through imo.

I don't like Deepholm and Twilight Highlands at all besides the Iso'rath/Garona questlines

Vashj'ir on the other hand is easily in the top 5 zones of the game.

One thing I do like about Vashi'jr is that it's so huge it is practically 3 zones. Wish more zones were like that other then the split up Plaguelands and Barrens

RPGCrazied

And can I say the Lich King has a crazy ass knock back. It killed me the first time, 2nd time I just put my back by the throne and it just knocks me a few inches. This fight seems like it might be hell with melee.

cdyhybrid

And can I say the Lich King has a crazy ass knock back. It killed me the first time, 2nd time I just put my back by the throne and it just knocks me a few inches. This fight seems like it might be hell with melee.

It's easy. Don't stand in shit in phase 1 and kill the ice orbs before they get to you in phase 2.

Fjordson

It's been a while since I've done the fight, but I think the knockbacks are the shadow traps he lays down on the ground. The black circle things. LK himself won't knock you back if you avoid those.

_DrMario_

Speaking of reading quests and stuff I feel like I had a life changing experience with WoW the other day when I discovered the Storyline addon. I always read quest text but the UI for interacting with characters has always been pretty terrible (and it's amazing how it hasn't changed after 10 years). The addon changes it to something you'd be more familiar with if you've played nearly any other video game with text only dialogue. Obviously if you are the kind of person who just picks up a bunch of quests real fast without reading them it's just going to slow you down but that is certainly not how I quest so it's been an awesome experience. Looking forward to using it in Legion assuming the addon works properly in 7.0

Dude I just re-subbed today with the goal of leveling a couple characters with no heirlooms and strictly through quests so I could finally read all the little stories Blizzard as written in the game. This is perfect.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i like vashjir as well, but the 3rd zone was kind of underused although it may have been the most interesting looking.

it was too front-loaded.

the 3D space was "fine" -- it was a little wonky but my main problem was they didnt label things on the map correctly so it was hard to find a couple of quest hubs since there was no flight point going to it

JSoup

Banned
It's easy. Don't stand in shit in phase 1 and kill the ice orbs before they get to you in phase 2.

Even easier, stand on the stairs to the throne for the entire encounter. So long as you're not too close to the field, the knock back will do damage but not knock you back. Depending on your class, it's either a matter of eating the damage or zerging through it.

Nokterian

Speaking of reading quests and stuff I feel like I had a life changing experience with WoW the other day when I discovered the Storyline addon. I always read quest text but the UI for interacting with characters has always been pretty terrible (and it's amazing how it hasn't changed after 10 years). The addon changes it to something you'd be more familiar with if you've played nearly any other video game with text only dialogue. Obviously if you are the kind of person who just picks up a bunch of quests real fast without reading them it's just going to slow you down but that is certainly not how I quest so it's been an awesome experience. Looking forward to using it in Legion assuming the addon works properly in 7.0

Installing goddamn blizzard learn from this!

I adored Deepholm. Good visual diversity, good use of three dimensional space, strong storyline that connected the lore of Cataclysm together and the effects of Deathwing in both the new and old zones. It was a much longer zone than it appeared to be but there was a lot going on, I seldom felt bored.

Ultratech

Vashj'ir was a pretty interesting zone, though I could see how melee guys would hate it.

Quests weren't all that bad either save for a few sets.

But the only thing I hated was the buggy final quest and the cliffhanger that the zone ends on that's never been resolved. :(

But since we're talking about Cata zones, here's my thoughts:

-Hyjal: So. Many. Quests. Some annoying ones in there too. I don't hate it, but I don't really like it either.
-Deepholm: As noted, there's a lot more going on than at first glance, which was pretty neat. Wasn't too bad.
-Uldum: Has some pretty fun quests, but like Vashj'ir, it kinda feels unfinished in spots (like the Ramkahen questline).
-Twilight Highlands: This one actually starts out crappy (lots of stupid intro quests), but gets a bit better as you go along. Pretty neat towards the end when you start making your way towards the Bastion of Twilight.

TheYanger

Had a pretty good time just now. We went into End Time as level 87s and everyone left after the first part, so we decided to duo well of eternity and the part after that. Some pretty close shaves, but really fun.
I like the idea of End Time a lot, fun bosses. and Well of Eternity is a really slick dungeon.

Seems like it. There's other zones I'd love to check out. We're talking about bringing up another character just so we can see other stuff. :\

Why not just go back a do them? Nothin stopping you, and the content is piss easy even at level.

cdyhybrid

Thinking about leveling up my Warlock so I can have a tailor to make bags for my DH (plus my Warlock was my very first character, created at 9am on release day in Vanilla). He's 91 at the moment.

I know we have some great raiding Warlocks here, give me the lowdown ;) Looks like Aff is the go-to spec at 100 right now? What about for leveling up?

Kangi

Thinking about leveling up my Warlock so I can have a tailor to make bags for my DH (plus my Warlock was my very first character, created at 9am on release day in Vanilla). He's 91 at the moment.

I know we have some great raiding Warlocks here, give me the lowdown ;) Looks like Aff is the go-to spec at 100 right now? What about for leveling up?

What spec to level with is really a matter of preference, though I prefer Destruction for versatility: Chaos Bolt to quickly take down tougher enemies, Havoc for multiples, Fire and Brimstone for very powerful AoE, and Ember Tap for great self-healing.

Affliction's the best for raid DPS, yeah. Its single-target damage is crazy, but note that its AoE isn't that great. Seed of Corruption is kind of weak and multi-DoTing isn't what it used to be, whereas Destruction can AoE Chaos Bolt.

Demonology's just pretty garbage right now.

Aeana

I like the idea of End Time a lot, fun bosses. and Well of Eternity is a really slick dungeon.

Why not just go back a do them? Nothin stopping you, and the content is piss easy even at level.

Mainly because quests disappear from the map once they're outdated.

Tacitus_

Destructiooooon!

You can level as whatever you want, but I've done it as destruction for the past few expansions. Shadowburning + Chaos Bolt makes you speed through mobs. At top, it's Affliction / Destruction depending on encounter.

Draxal

I always go Hyjal, but I don't mind Vash'jir.

Problem I have with Cata is how disjointed the zones are from each other, there's not a natural progession like there's in every other expansion.

Alex

Vashjir was the only zone I liked in Cataclysm. I'd usually do Hyjal after because it was easier to power level through but Vashjir was the only one I had fun in.

I liked quite a bit of Pandaria questing, they had a lot of fun and funny parts and they took a lot more liberty with the writing, which I normally detest post-BC/LK. Although I thought the dungeons were pretty awful all around in Pandaria, they had some good ideas and some cool scope but that also slows them down and makes them annoying to repeat.

Draenor questing was more interesting in terms of mechanics (garrison followers, treasures, etc) and flow but I didn't really have a single zone I can say I really liked. It all felt kind of tedious past the strong intro. Somehow they managed to make Nagrand an even bigger pain in the ass.

catdps.jpg

This image will never, ever be not funny to me.

Alex

This image will never, ever be not funny to me.

It was funny then and it's funny now. The only thing that's not funny are all of the people who copied it over to every class on every MMO that exists and every last one of them miss the point when doing so.

Now people try to put literal class guides in it while filling it with squiggly lines and fucking memes.

EmiPrime

It was funny then and it's funny now. The only thing that's not funny are all of the people who copied it over to every class on every MMO that exists and every last one of them miss the point when doing so.

Now people try to put literal class guides in it while filling it with squiggly lines and fucking memes.

Yeah I raided as cat druid on one of my alts in early WOTLK (when that image was made) and it required so much concentration. Nothing before or since then can compare, the skill cap was ridiculous.

Khezu

I remember liking doing low level BGs around vanilla/BC, mostly because the ability pool classes had was smaller and less chaotic.

Haven't done PVP at all past TBC.

ZenaxPure

I've never understood it but they've always been around. Remember friends running Deadmines over and over in Vanilla to get a Cruel Barb for rogue twinks

Yeah, some people just love it. I've always found it fascinating myself. Especially in TBC/vanilla before heirlooms were a thing it was amazing the amount of time/work/gold people would put into getting BiS level 19 gear. Some of that is still around even now and is still crazy to me.

Top Bottom