• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Rixxan

Recently reinstalled and having a good time, I have a pretty beastly rig and it's pretty nuts to see how big a FPS hit I take in warspear relative to literally everywhere else in game

I mean it's obvious as to why but still I don't recall Dalaran or other hubs having the same like, ratio of performance drop

The goody bag contents often sell for more than the price of an actual blizzcon ticket, but only if you can be assed to up up with the BS of selling those things online. It's a bag of crap, but it's an expensive bag of crap. I imagine now that anybody can buy it that the price won't be quite the premium it was in previous years. The con merch shop sells more interesting stuff tho.

Since I'm not looking to raid with my lvl 100 Fury Warrior, I'm leveling up a resto shaman for Legion, is there any point in continuing on with level up my garrison buildings or shipyard? I don't really see any point to it, just logging in to send followers and ships (I fucking hate the shipyard) out on missions, gathering ore and herbs or time gated resources from buildings isn't any fun. I don't even know if I want to bother with Tanaan for Draenor Pathfinding with the rep grinds and garrison campaign left to do.

The fun in WoD sort of ended when I completed all of the questing, now I just mostly use the warrior to solo old raids looking for specific mounts.

I think the question you should ask is can the fans and devs move past Warcraft 3? The answer, so far, is no.
MoP was actually the expansion where they did, with nothing connecting it to Warcraft 3 except the tenuous connection of MU Grom's redemption is what began to fuel Garrosh's pride. Then they ran for their security blanket in WoD.

Tarazet

I finally joined the Loremaster club. I started playing late in Cataclysm, did all of the Pandaria and Draenor content at launch, and with the current lull felt like it was time to experience what the game was about. I wasn't disappointed. I especially enjoyed Dragonblight, Winterspring, Tirisfal Glades, Vashj'ir, and the Dread Wastes. I also felt like generally, the zones in Northrend that were designed with flying in mind, and scaled appropriately, felt far more impressive than the more technically polished zones in Pandaria or Draenor which had you on the ground.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I finally joined the Loremaster club. I started playing late in Cataclysm, did all of the Pandaria and Draenor content at launch, and with the current lull felt like it was time to experience what the game was about. I wasn't disappointed. I especially enjoyed Dragonblight, Winterspring, Tirisfal Glades, Vashj'ir, and the Dread Wastes. I also felt like generally, the zones in Northrend that were designed with flying in mind, and scaled appropriately, felt far more impressive than the more technically polished zones in Pandaria or Draenor which had you on the ground.

I liked the way that Northrend handled flying.

The 70-76(78?) zones were designed with ground mounts in mind, but still a huge scale that flying would make it more convenient. Whereas Stormpeaks and Icecrown were designed that they had to be done with a flying mount.

I think Blizzard should take that approach with Legion. I'm not sure if they've gone into which zone is which level, but I could see some zones like that. High Mountain, for example could be half done on ground, but the other half requires you to fly around a lot.

Who knows.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I liked the way that Northrend handled flying.

The 70-76(78?) zones were designed with ground mounts in mind, but still a huge scale that flying would make it more convenient. Whereas Stormpeaks and Icecrown were designed that they had to be done with a flying mount.

I think Blizzard should take that approach with Legion. I'm not sure if they've gone into which zone is which level, but I could see some zones like that. High Mountain, for example could be half done on ground, but the other half requires you to fly around a lot.

Who knows.

Unlikely. They seem pretty set on doing the Pathfinder route; you hit 110, get loremaster and explorer achievements (with some other stuff) and then you can fly.

What? No it wasn't.

What?! :\

I don't want to get super into something that happened 20 years ago, but the shift from macro to micro was very unpopular among the hardcore WC/WC2 crowd. We went from your typical C&C focus of maximize resources, pump units, to very small skirmishes with a tight group of units (due to much more strict population restrictions) and usually a hero class. Not to mention the feel of WC3 was obviously more mainstream to appeal to kids while 1/2 were much grittier and more grounded in dark fantasy. I very distinctly remember the sour taste in peoples' mouths at LANs, but it was very obvious that WC3 is what opened the flood gate for more people to get into RTS and the lore. 3 definitely nailed the ui.

Luckily we got SC which was the perfect balance of army/unit management, and what 3 really should have been. I assumed Blizz knew they went too far away from RTS with 3 and that's why they never bothered going back for a 4.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I don't want to get super into something that happened 20 years ago, but the shift from macro to micro was very unpopular among the hardcore WC/WC2 crowd. We went from your typical C&C focus of maximize resources, pump units, to very small skirmishes with a tight group of units (due to much more strict population restrictions) and usually a hero class. Not to mention the feel of WC3 was obviously more mainstream to appeal to kids while 1/2 were much grittier and more grounded in dark fantasy. I very distinctly remember the sour taste in peoples' mouths at LANs, but it was very obvious that WC3 is what opened the flood gate for more people to get into RTS and the lore. 3 definitely nailed the ui.

Luckily we got SC which was the perfect balance of army/unit management, and what 3 really should have been. I assumed Blizz knew they went too far away from RTS with 3 and that's why they never bothered going back for a 4.

I honestly haven't liked an RTS as much as I loved Warcraft 3. Definitely was a fan of micro management over macro management.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Unlikely. They seem pretty set on doing the Pathfinder route; you hit 110, get loremaster and explorer achievements (with some other stuff) and then you can fly.

True. I can appreciate the idea to an extent. But I like the idea of the later level zones needing flying.

Which is irritating as fuck to me. It's just grind grind grind.

I'm still shocked they reversed their decision though. You can tell parts of draenor weren't flight ready because they're like "We're cleaning some of it up now". I think inputting flying really messed with their development time table and it was cut to save time rather than this "moment to moment" game play bullshit they've trotted out.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Which is irritating as fuck to me. It's just grind grind grind.

I'm still shocked they reversed their decision though. You can tell parts of draenor weren't flight ready because they're like "We're cleaning some of it up now". I think inputting flying really messed with their development time table and it was cut to save time rather than this "moment to moment" game play bullshit they've trotted out.

It almost sounds like they had zero intention of adding flying into Draenor. Post from Lore last night stating that Sept 1 could change (which I have no problems with and that will generally always be the case.) But it does go to show you that with the amount of fixing and bug examples, that it really did look like flying wasn't supposed to be a thing in this expansion.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/18596063318?page=3#52

Shahadan

It almost sounds like they had zero intention of adding flying into Draenor. Post from Lore last night stating that Sept 1 could change (which I have no problems with and that will generally always be the case.) But it does go to show you that with the amount of fixing and bug examples, that it really did look like flying wasn't supposed to be a thing in this expansion.

Well obviously. They just never had the balls to say it but it was obvious.
They always forget to remember their "lies". Like when they said Tanaan was finished but delayed at launch, and then 6 months later said work began on it after launch.

I understand them though, they can never say anything without dumbshits losing their minds.

Yeah, that's what I mean. They said flying would happen but they never intended it to be something that was there. And I believe the idea to remove flying was for two reasons; first it would save time. This is the lightest expansion ever and it feels like they cut corners EVERY WHERE. If not having flying meant they could get the expansion out the door faster then they were going to do it. And two: the developers really are out of touch.

I had hoped they wouldn't cave with the whole flying in Draenor.

Why?

Shahadan

Flying is a terrible idea from a design perspective and makes everything dull anyway. I wish they could have stuck to their idea and maybe added it in the patch just before Legion or something.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Flying is a terrible idea from a design perspective and makes everything dull anyway. I wish they could have stuck to their idea and maybe added it in the patch just before Legion or something.

It entirely depends on its implementation.

They've changed the design and implementation of it almost each expansion

1. Flying at max level only (BC, MoP) - Max level raids required flying (i.e. TK)
2. Flying granted during leveling process (Wrath) - zones and raids required flying (Icecrown, Stormpeaks, Naxx)
3. Flying from the get go (Cata) - Leveling zones required flying to get around
4. No Flying (WoD Launch) - Everything could be reached via the ground
5. Flying at max level and requiring exploration (Post-WoD, Legion) - Everything can be reached via ground, flying granted to make things easier

I'm not sure how I feel about flying overall, but if the zones are created with no flying in mind then it's not an issue. Would flying have made things more convenient at times in WoD? Definitely. But at no point did I ever feel that my experience was ruined because of lack of flying.

If I had to choose how flying is implemented, I would choose what they did in Wrath. Make the first zones be completely ground designed, but have the later ones be designed with flying in mind.

Ark

It's funny. Being limited to ground mounts makes the game feel more 'alive' to me, but at the same time I feel less like the 'hero' I'm supposed to be by not flying around on my proto-drake.

WoD not having flying was the best design decision of the whole xpac. We were going back to a different time in lore and a different time in WoW. I still can't believe how many people whined about that shit.

iirate

WoD not having flying was the best design decision of the whole xpac. We were going back to a different time in lore and a different time in WoW. I still can't believe how many people whined about that shit.

I was and still am completely fine with "no more flying". The only thing that irked me about the situation was not having a way to "use" or show off our flying mounts at all anymore.

Honestly, if we could set the mount we wanted to use at FPs, or if Blizzard would allow flying outside of major cities and hubs, but no mounting once you're in the world, I'd prefer a more grounded game(especially if they still occasionally made a flying zone actually built for the mechanic).

It wasn't "no more flying" it was you can't fly in this particular xpac zone. The end. You could still fly anywhere else. Plenty of people still hang out in SW if you want to idle slightly above the mailbox on your ashes mount screaming 'look at my rng.'

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I feel like it's still a massive issue that the default WoW ui isn't good enough. I just got my new computer built and WoW runs fucking great, but I didn't save my WTF folder and I have to set up all my mods again for every character. And I can't help but think, 'why aren't moveable/customizable action bars a default in WoW, why isn't there a better in-game option than MasterPlan, why isn't the cast bar customizable?'

etc etc. They do a good job of integrating some addons into the default game, but I just hate how much shit I have to update and keep track of(granted it's a lot easier now than it used to be)

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

I don't even really have a strong opinion on it, but it definitely bothers me how a loud, small majority make it seem like not being able to fly is the biggest, most important issue facing WoD. It's not even in the top 10. People need to get a fucking grip.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I feel like it's still a massive issue that the default WoW ui isn't good enough. I just got my new computer built and WoW runs fucking great, but I didn't save my WTF folder and I have to set up all my mods again for every character. And I can't help but think, 'why aren't moveable/customizable action bars a default in WoW, why isn't there a better in-game option than MasterPlan, why isn't the cast bar customizable?'

etc etc. They do a good job of integrating some addons into the default game, but I just hate how much shit I have to update and keep track of(granted it's a lot easier now than it used to be)

It is hilarious how untouched the base UI is since the game launched. They've added features for sure, but it seems to be missing a lot of proper customization out of the box.

iirate

It wasn't "no more flying" it was you can't fly in this particular xpac zone. The end. You could still fly anywhere else. Plenty of people still hang out in SW if you want to idle slightly above the mailbox on your ashes mount screaming 'look at my rng.'

Expansions like WoD make SW roughly as relevant as Darnassus. Also, you don't need to put up a strawman to validate if you think flying in WoW was a mistake(I'd even agree - it never should have happened).

I hate mount farming, and I just won't do it for raid mounts(I've done it for exactly one dungeon mount). That said, my main's flying mount is important to her character, as a member of the Sha'tari Skyguard, and if her nether ray is forever grounded, that's pretty sad. All I was asking was for it to be usable at flight points, something that doesn't mess with any "no flying" rule at all.

Whatever you think, there are flying mounts in the game that don't make sense on the ground and are important to people. That is why this change required more thought than Blizzard seemed to give it.

UI improvements might cost us a raid tier. Just think, all that time spent on creating a better UI might push the expansion back more. Nobody wants a two year wait!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Do we even know what the digital goodies are this year? I feel like the Blizzcon gifts have been pretty disappointing and mostly just pets now.

Murloc costumes and Blizz Bears they ain't
Warrior class hall will be in the eye of that cyclone in the middle of Westfall.

If the Warrior Class Hall isn't Fray Island, they fucked up.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Do we even know what the digital goodies are this year? I feel like the Blizzcon gifts have been pretty disappointing and mostly just pets now.

Murloc costumes and Blizz Bears they ain't

As the trend has been since 2009 - it's a murloc battle pet skin. Illidan this time, of course. Not sure what the goodies are for SC2/D3/HS/HOTS

As the trend has been since 2009 - it's a murloc battle pet skin. Illidan this time, of course. Not sure what the goodies are for SC2/D3/HS/HOTS

Probably another player portrait (SC2) banner emblem (D3) custom card back (HS) and whatever low-effort shit they can pour into HOTS.

It's been unexciting for the last several blizzcons, gone are the days of murloc suits.

Robin64

It's gonna be a couple of portraits for SC2, a portrait frame and pet for D3, a card back for HS, and a mount for HotS. Maybe even something for Overwatch that you get when it launches.

No, I don't know that, but I'd bet all my money on it.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Probably another player portrait (SC2) banner emblem (D3) custom card back (HS) and whatever low-effort shit they can pour into HOTS.

It's been unexciting for the last several blizzcons, gone are the days of murloc suits.

It's gonna be a couple of portraits for SC2, a portrait frame and pet for D3, a card back for HS, and a mount for HotS. Maybe even something for Overwatch that you get when it launches.

No, I don't know that, but I'd bet all my money on it.

Well yeah, what else can they throw in for those games? Just a matter of what they'll look like.

I mean, we all knew WoW was getting a skinned Murloc battle pet based on whatever the expansion was, right?

Robin64

Well Diablo III could have some awesome transmogs, Hearthstone could have a unique hero skin, there are "bigger" things they could do.

ampere

There's already nothing new to do until Legion, why wait at this point?

Nere

I agree with you it gave a new feeling in the zones and made exploration much more rewarding.

Anoregon

There's a thread on mmochampion about who could take over as the Forsaken leader if Sylvanas ends up dead by the end of Legion, and someone brought up an idea that I actually like a lot: Tirion Fordring.

We know he almost certainly dies during the Broken Shore intro event and flavor text on the Ashbring customization/power screenshots from the reveal. What if Sylvanas gets to his corpse and raises him? He would know that he is no longer worthy of Ashbringer, as the light burns all undead, so he would not try to get it back from the player ret pallys. He was going to become the new Lich King before Bolvar stepped in, so there is precedent for him being willing to take over a wayward faction of undead. He is also likely highly respected by the Forsaken (as much as they can respect anyone living), as he was the primary force behind the destruction of the Lich King, who was their most hated enemy. The act of dying and being raised could alter him enough that he would feel more duty to the forsaken than to the alliance, and he was already neutral anyway. It totally works.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The weird part is that I've never bought a ticket virtual or otherwise to Blizzcon and yet I feel like I saw the trailers for the next expansions the same day and not even that long afterwards.

There's a thread on mmochampion about who could take over as the Forsaken leader if Sylvanas ends up dead by the end of Legion, and someone brought up an idea that I actually like a lot: Tirion Fordring.

We know he almost certainly dies during the Broken Shore intro event and flavor text on the Ashbring customization/power screenshots from the reveal. What if Sylvanas gets to his corpse and raises him? He would know that he is no longer worthy of Ashbringer, as the light burns all undead, so he would not try to get it back from the player ret pallys. He was going to become the new Lich King before Bolvar stepped in, so there is precedent for him being willing to take over a wayward faction of undead. He is also likely highly respected by the Forsaken (as much as they can respect anyone living), as he was the primary force behind the destruction of the Lich King, who was their most hated enemy. The act of dying and being raised could alter him enough that he would feel more duty to the forsaken than to the alliance, and he was already neutral anyway. It totally works.
I can't wait until Jaina takes the Lich King's power from Fordring while he sleeps and becomes the Lich Queen.

cdyhybrid

I'd be down with that. Forsaken paladins?

Ashodin

So Ashbringer. Tirion gonna die? Dudes an old man.

Would be sad tho, he was great in WotLK.

I think I would like to see Lady Liadrin challenge you for the Ashbringer because she thinks she's more worth it. Could be cool.

I want cutscenes that show the artifact off.

Seems like right at the start broken shore will have Ashbringer and Doomhammer. Varian gets to keep his swords because omg lore! Those swords are tied to his being.

Anoregon

Seems like right at the start broken shore will have Ashbringer and Doomhammer. Varian gets to keep his swords because omg lore! Those swords are tied to his being.

Unless he dies. With Anduin's increased prominence, it is certainly possible.

Top Bottom