• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

idlewild_

Where was that said?

It wasn't explicitly stated. At the reveal Chilton said that the DH starting quests take place 10 years in the past right before we invaded the black temple. Piecing together estimates from the books, WoD takes place ~5 years after BC.

Obviously they could retcon numbers somewhere, but looking at character models (e.g. Anduin,) suggests that quite a few years have passed.

cdyhybrid

Exalted with Frostwolves finally. Next closest rep to exalted is in Honored, so I think I might start selling my Medallions now.

Can I borrow someone on US-Horde later today (9/4) to help me kill the elite mobs in Gorgrond for the quest drops? Trying to farm them all up so I can pop an EXP pot and turn them all in at the same time.

I can't seem to solo them on my Rogue, even when using the Shredder =
Do those even drop without you companion there to help kill shit?

Another week, lost two rolls on tier pieces.

Can we just do away with set bonuses tied to loot drops? It seems like this whole expansion has been about fucking the player over with time gates as much as possible. I don't care that there is sets, but they've gotten to the point where you do garbage damage without them.

Rixxan

i see a ton of people buying or selling 2's carries now in trade, so i guess this is a thing?

i mean, i assume its just to get conquest because i doubt someone could carry someone to required rating - correct?

seems odd to me

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i see a ton of people buying or selling 2's carries now in trade, so i guess this is a thing?

i mean, i assume its just to get conquest because i doubt someone could carry someone to required rating - correct?

seems odd to me

People have always done that. Not sure what is new that is making people look more often

Aeana

So about a month ago, a friend and I returned to WoW for the first time since Wrath basically. As mentioned in the linked post, we started new characters and leveled from scratch. Had a really fantastic time doing that, and it was fun playing mistweaver monk since basically all I ever played in WoW before was priests. A LOT of priests. 7 or so priests over my time with the game starting at launch spanning different servers and periods in the game's life. I mean, I healed as druid, shaman, and paladin at points, but I always went back to priest.

We eventually reached 100 and started gearing up, and stepped into LFR. Now, I had already been kind of annoyed with mistweaver monk by that point, but in a raid I realized: I really don't like this style of healing. I don't like how they have to tag people with renewing mist to just to have any shot of doing AoE heals sometime in the future, and I didn't really enjoy managing chi, a few other assorted gripes.

So I decided to go ahead and use my free level 90 boost to bring up... another priest. Leveled that 1-60 and then boosted to 90 so I could have two professions auto-leveled to 600. Hit 100 on that tonight. I'm much happier now, I think priest's playstyles in discipline and holy both just suit me best in this particular game. I don't regret giving monk a shot, though, because I like seeing different ways to heal. It just wasn't for me, at least for now. I might revisit it later.

I'm leveling up a Mistweaver Monk and kind of miss my Resto Shaman. It's so weird how Windwalker and Brewmaster are insanely mobile but with Mistweaver you kind of have to pick an optimal spot to plant and just channel. It's really frustrating when you deal with overly mobile tanks who do massive pulls, frequently cut-off your line of sight on them and make your main healing ability useless half the time. I've got two rolls, with a short boost to movement speed after each roll, when those are down, I'm moving pretty slowly. At the point my toon is at, my MW monk is a pure healer. I don't really have an dps I can throw out in the middle of healing (yet? mid 40's).

With my Resto Shaman I have spirit wolf to keep up with a tank, a decent mix of instant and channeled heals and I can throw out dps and dps totems i between heals. I feel so much more mobile and struggle less to stay on top of the damage the party takes in and contribute a bit of dps with my Shaman.

Nudull

Banned
Pretty much did everything I needed to do this summer, and got nothing major lined up for the rest of the year, so I should have plenty of WoW time from here on. First thing I should do is focus on leveling everyone I needed leveled, though (boost or no boost).

Aeana

I'm leveling up a Mistweaver Monk and kind of miss my Resto Shaman. It's so weird how Windwalker and Brewmaster are insanely mobile but with Mistweaver you kind of have to pick an optimal spot to plant and just channel. It's really frustrating when you deal with overly mobile tanks who do massive pulls, frequently cut-off your line of sight on them and make your main healing ability useless half the time. I've got two rolls, with a short boost to movement speed after each roll, when those are down, I'm moving pretty slowly. At the point my toon is at, my MW monk is a pure healer. I don't really have an dps I can throw out in the middle of healing (yet? mid 40's).

With my Resto Shaman I have spirit wolf to keep up with a tank, a decent mix of instant and channeled heals and I can throw out dps and dps totems i between heals. I feel so much more mobile and struggle less to stay on top of the damage the party takes in and contribute a bit of dps with my Shaman.

You won't ever be able to DPS effectively while you're in serpent stance. That's purely for healing. Crane stance does all right damage and has eminence healing (like atonement healing on discipline priest) but the amount of healing that does isn't very significant for most of the time you'll be leveling. It isn't until later when you get talents like pool of mists that it feels like it's actually able to sustain people, and even then you won't be able to use it to heal through constant damage... But it can be nice when you're cruising along, and touch of death heals for a crapton if you can get it off during crane stance.

I know the feeling about not feeling like you can keep up, but I think that's more just a symptom of the go go go mentality for low level dungeons and doesn't really carry into the endgame since people go slower.

As for keeping up with damage, I think MW monk is super good at single target healing, especially once you get your statue which will duplicate your soothing mist on whichever targets it feels need it, but AoE healing in 5-mans, ESPECIALLY before you get the pool of mists talent (gives renewing mist 3 charges), is the roughest thing I experienced. Always gotta make sure renewing mist is on people ahead of time, and then make sure you have enough chi to cast uplift. Lots of busywork.

Ark

So I decided to go ahead and use my free level 90 boost to bring up... another priest. Leveled that 1-60 and then boosted to 90 so I could have two professions auto-leveled to 600. Hit 100 on that tonight. I'm much happier now, I think priest's playstyles in discipline and holy both just suit me best in this particular game. I don't regret giving monk a shot, though, because I like seeing different ways to heal. It just wasn't for me, at least for now. I might revisit it later.

Holy shit. I had no idea about this. Hopefully that'll be the case for the level 100 boost in Legion.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
As for keeping up with damage, I think MW monk is super good at single target healing, especially once you get your statue which will duplicate your soothing mist on whichever targets it feels need it, but AoE healing in 5-mans, ESPECIALLY before you get the pool of mists talent (gives renewing mist 3 charges), is the roughest thing I experienced. Always gotta make sure renewing mist is on people ahead of time, and then make sure you have enough chi to cast uplift. Lots of busywork.
Certain specs just seem way more geared towards raid healing than five man dungeon healing. It's less of a problem on something like Priest, where having multiple specs available means I can choose Holy and make my life significantly easier in a dungeon, but can switch back to Disc when raiding becomes an advantage. Healing was already one of the areas of the game where I felt spec diversity was more noticeable, so I'm interested to see if or how things will advance from there in Legion. For something like Priest the disparity between the two specs in raids was so great that there's not much reason for people to pull out Holy in a raid. Somehow the easiest specs just tower over the others, which is one of the areas of the game that tends to bother me more.

Aeana

Certain specs just seem way more geared towards raid healing than five man dungeon healing. It's less of a problem on something like Priest, where having multiple specs available means I can choose Holy and make my life significantly easier in a dungeon, but can switch back to Disc when raiding becomes an advantage. Healing was already one of the areas of the game where I felt spec diversity was more noticeable, so I'm interested to see if or how things will advance from there in Legion. For something like Priest the disparity between the two specs in raids was so great that there's not much reason for people to pull out Holy in a raid. Somehow the easiest specs just tower over the others, which is one of the areas of the game that tends to bother me more.
Yeah, I was reading about how holy isn't really welcome in raids right now and it breaks my heart, because that was always my favorite. Back when I was playing heavily, holy had its place as the best AoE healer and so was always welcome.

And yeah I totally get why mistweaver is popular for raids, if you can stomach the constant babysitting of renewing mist... But I'm more concerned with having fun than topping the charts, and I don't plan to be a mega serious raider unless the cards just so happen to fall that way (I.e. I won't seek it out but I'd give it a shot if it came up). At least I have both leveled and I can eventually get both geared. With holy not being wanted and discipline being great but only one of them being needed at a time, that leaves some potential issues on the table I guess.

I hope Blizzard manages to find a way to make holy more attractive in Legion.

Robin64

I don't get why hundreds of people are still hanging around the new vendor in Dalaran. Either you buy something and leave, or you can't afford anything and leave. It's not like standing there accumulates currency.

strafer

I don't get why hundreds of people are still hanging around the new vendor in Dalaran. Either you buy something and leave, or you can't afford anything and leave. It's not like standing there accumulates currency.

I had a special spot in Dalaran that I stood basically 24/7 in wotlk. Now I only go there to buy some gear for my 80 twink.

lazygecko

With how they've introduced talents for alternate gameplay styles, like Gladiator for prot warriors, I hope they can implement a legit way for Holy to play offensively as shockadins.

dimb

With how they've introduced talents for alternate gameplay styles, like Gladiator for prot warriors, I hope they can implement a legit way for Holy to play offensively as shockadins.
Nobody wants anything like Gladiator. It's actually something I wish they would just remove from the game. More than that, an offensive style just seems like it would fit Disc better.

lazygecko

I was under the impression that Gladiator was popular enough among warriors. And shockadins existed before as a hybrid build back in the old talent system. I don't see the issue in having these things exist as optional branches for the specs. Offensive 1h+shield and plate casters are fun concepts that I think deserve a chance. IIRC unholy death knights were originally going to be casters but it was scrapped.

I'm with you there. Restoration Shaman is my main and I love healing as a Shaman.

timmy

So I just got to level 100 on my priest. I did a few things and it seems like 200 other things opened up. It feels a bit intimidating to be honest. I have a few questions. I am not too interested in dungeons or raiding right now. I mostly want to make gold, level professions, and see the world content before Legion.

1 - Just in general, is there an agreed-upon thing that is best to focus your initial attention on? I have Nagrand and Tanaan opened up. The former seems like a really fun zone and the latter seems a bit tough right now.

2 - Are there any garrison structures that are considered "best" to have? I reached level three, and really all I seem to be using are the profession buildings.

3 - Is there a certain faction that is best to focus on for gearing up?

cdyhybrid

Probably waiting in queue for another dungeon :p

So I just got to level 100 on my priest. I did a few things and it seems like 200 other things opened up. It feels a bit intimidating to be honest. I have a few questions. I am not too interested in dungeons or raiding right now. I mostly want to make gold, level professions, and see the world content before Legion.

1 - Just in general, is there an agreed-upon thing that is best to focus your initial attention on? I have Nagrand and Tanaan opened up. The former seems like a really fun zone and the latter seems a bit tough right now.

2 - Are there any garrison structures that are considered "best" to have? I reached level three, and really all I seem to be using are the profession buildings.

3 - Is there a certain faction that is best to focus on for gearing up?

1) You can finish the quests in Nagrand if you want to see the "lore". But generally the end-game zone is Tanaan, the rewards you get there are better than anything you'll get outside of raiding.

2) You generally want a Salvage Yard, Barracks, and War Mill/Bunker for ideal follower improvement. For your other two small slots, you can build your profession buildings for extra work orders if you're going to actually use your professions. Medium slots, generally an Inn/Tavern for gold missions and a Barn for generating Savage Blood to sell if your primary aim is to make gold. The Barn will also give you feasts/fur/hides if you want/need them. You can substitute a Trading Post if you need GR or want an AH in your garrison. You can substitute a Glad's Sanctum if you're going to PVP.

3) Not really, just do quests in Tanaan. You'll want to complete the Master Relic Hunter Achievement ASAP for the Harrison Jones follower (if he isn't in your garrison that day, use the group finder to find someone who has it).

dimb

I was under the impression that Gladiator was popular enough among warriors.
It's really not. Like, really, really not. It's an incredibly spammy spec that offers nothing of value so it sees no play. It is easily among the lowest played specs in terms of tracked logs in raids. If you multiplied the tracked Gladiator Warriors in logs by 100 they would still be outnumbered by Fury Warriors. If you check tracked communities for Warriors like MMOChampion, here are the thread page counts post 6.0:
Arms: 146.
Fury: 217
Gladiator: 31

Trying to cram an entire spec into one talent choice instead of giving it its own tree is nightmarish, and has negative repercussions on standard Protection Warriors.

G-Unit

GUYS tips on making gold while we wait for legion plz, i have 460k, i just want to make 30k monthly so i pay my monthly bill.

Thanks

cdyhybrid

GUYS tips on making gold while we wait for legion plz, i have 460k, i just want to make 30k monthly so i pay my monthly bill.

Thanks

Level 3 Inn/Tavern, Harrison Jones, spam Treasure Hunter followers on as many chars as possible.

If Felblight and/or Savage Blood are still going at a decent price, farm those.

Sell crafted item upgrade tokens if you do profession stuff still.

iirate

Yeah, I was reading about how holy isn't really welcome in raids right now and it breaks my heart, because that was always my favorite. Back when I was playing heavily, holy had its place as the best AoE healer and so was always welcome.

And yeah I totally get why mistweaver is popular for raids, if you can stomach the constant babysitting of renewing mist... But I'm more concerned with having fun than topping the charts, and I don't plan to be a mega serious raider unless the cards just so happen to fall that way (I.e. I won't seek it out but I'd give it a shot if it came up). At least I have both leveled and I can eventually get both geared. With holy not being wanted and discipline being great but only one of them being needed at a time, that leaves some potential issues on the table I guess.

Hey, I just thought I'd chime in as someone who generally tries to stay on top of the healer metagame(I was exclusively a raid healer from classic up until this expansion, where I started raid dpsing as well).

The good news is that holy priests are fine. They are versatile healers that are more than capable of pulling their weight in any raid in WoD. The bad news is that your mileage may still vary when trying to find a guild as one.

The truth is, there aren't bad healers in WoD. The neglected specs(holy priest, resto druid, sometimes mw monk) are all very capable. It's actually the specs that everyone wants that are in a bad place. Holy paladins, resto shamans, and disc priests are all bringing different things to the raid that threaten or break the current healing model(MW is being represented more as of HFC because their tier bonuses make them incredible in terms of raw throughput).

A raid healing team consisting of druids, monks, and holy priests would function just fine for the most part, but there's no point in having a well-balanced raid healing team when the guild can bring healers that do things too well, or have access to tools that healers shouldn't have.

Milennia

Well i am at that point where i have nothing to do for about 5 and a half days of the week because HFC farm is so quick now... i have literally just been finishing up some profession stuff i left behind.

its gonna be a loooong wait for blizzcon =/

I was under the impression that Gladiator was popular enough among warriors. And shockadins existed before as a hybrid build back in the old talent system. I don't see the issue in having these things exist as optional branches for the specs. Offensive 1h+shield and plate casters are fun concepts that I think deserve a chance. IIRC unholy death knights were originally going to be casters but it was scrapped.

I liked it, what killed it for me was the stigma behind it & making bonus armor items a priority didn't sit well with other tanks, also...

Unyielding Strikes is such shit gameplay.

Yeah this being the top dps choice is such shit. I'm sure there's people that desire having an off gcd skill you spam constantly (well at least when you have rage & like >3 stacks of the buff, so you can't just macro it to devastate), but it kills the spec for me. I like the shield slam damage increase talent but it's not competitive.

I'd like to see 2hand enhancement or Blood DK DPS come back some day as a fourth spec, but yeah, it makes balancing more difficult between the two. Hell, I'd like to DPS in bear form because being a bear is way more cool to me than cat form.

Wonder if Blizzard will eliminate it next expansion, they have been trying to narrow specs down to one weapon style.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Shaman healing, especially in Lich King, was something I could really get behind. Only time I ever raid healed too, being DPS for my serious raiding days in Vanilla. Don't like Druid heals at all. Only ever DPS'd and light 1-60 dungeon healed with a Priest. Never got around to Monk but I don't like the sound of any of the Monk's trees.

ampere

Nobody wants anything like Gladiator. It's actually something I wish they would just remove from the game. More than that, an offensive style just seems like it would fit Disc better.

I'd be interested in seeing how popular Gladiator is across the playerbase, but I don't think it's a great idea in hindsight. The talent is weaker than Fury for single target and weaker than Arms for AoE/Cleave, so there's never a reason to play it (assuming you try to min/max)

For example, Mythic Gorefiend has 3 Glad Warrior parses on Warcraft Logs. It has 246 for Fury and 650 for Arms. It simply is not used for challenging content.

Top Bottom