• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Tacitus_

Yeah I main a warlock but do a heroic clear with alts on my DK and man, everything is so much more laid back/stress-free/relaxed as a DK @_@. Spread some diseases, hit some buttons, stay locked on to the boss' ass *yawwwwn.

Yup, I think our melee only handles interrupts. And even then they whine that ranged should do that too ._.

Gotta tunnel that boss even harder I suppose.

Yup, I think our melee only handles interrupts. And even then they whine that ranged should do that too ._.

Gotta tunnel that boss even harder I suppose.

To be fair, fuck Ancient Harbinger and the tiny fucking hitboxes on everything to do with Velharl, because you are not allowed to move in melee range :(

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Don't know about WoD but going from melee to ranged in SoO mythic(original heroic) was a fucking joke

ranged 8mechanics? lol what mechanics?

The problem with that is they keep adding melee and not adding ranged. The classes added to the game have melee only for their dps specs: Death Knight, Monk, and now Demon Hunter. They're even converting a Hunter ranged spec into a melee spec in the expansion (Survival).

It's more of a design issue than anything. Of course people will flock to new classes. It's on Blizzard to make sure they don't over-saturate melee. Demon Hunter should have a ranged spec regardless of lore, just to help the melee issue.

My Mythic raid group has an issue of having too many melee this expac. We have not benched anyone because of it, but it has caused us problems in some cases.

Oh, so it's an issue of there being too many melee classes rather than them being subpar. Doing random Google searches on it, the way people talked made it sound like they just aren't good enough for it, with the exception of Death Knight, apparently.

cdyhybrid

Oh, so it's an issue of there being too many melee classes rather than them being subpar. Doing random Google searches on it, the way people talked made it sound like they just aren't good enough for it, with the exception of Death Knight, apparently.

No, it's an issue with encounter design.

Fights are easier with more ranged DPS.

Tacitus_

:lol

The pendulum has finally swung the other way after 5 expansions.

Some time ago when we were doing Socrethar one of our warriors started saying "hey ranged, you should totally interrupt the boss in p2" and I just told him to fuck off in TS. We have ~5 melee generally and they can handle a simple interrupt rotation >_<

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Some time ago when we were doing Socrethar one of our warriors started saying "hey ranged, you should totally interrupt the boss in p2" and I just told him to fuck off in TS. We have ~5 melee generally and they can handle a simple interrupt rotation >_<

Yeah, ranged should interrupt the ranged adds so they can come into melee range.

It's one thing when people don't know the mechanics, but it's totally annoying when they then try to spread it to other people.

31/33 Tomes on my alt this week
sleeping.gif

Probably hop in LFR on Tuesday just to knock it out.

Tacitus_

Yeah, ranged should interrupt the ranged adds so they can come into melee range.

It's one thing when people don't know the mechanics, but it's totally annoying when they then try to spread it to other people.

Oh he knew the mechanics, he just wanted us to do it instead. I got pissed off because he wanted me to do it while I was on ghost duty.

JSoup

Banned
Ah, I think I get it. Sounds like the world bosses in Guild Wars 2. Almost every one of them is done with the majority of people going ranged.

Just experienced this. Giant group of people, only two melee among them. Melee holds boss while ranged peppers with assortment of abilities. Melee dies, ranged scatter like a flock of birds because none of us can take a hit to save our lives. Eventually someone revives melee, who then regains boss focus. Repeat three times.

Maddrical

Anyone able to recommend a social Australian guild? I've joined my mate's guild but they're pretty much all in limbo waiting for Legion so there's no one to even talk to, let alone group up with. I've only just gotten back into WoW properly after not really playing bugger all since TBC, with the exception of a bit of Cataclysm, and I've been really disappointed to see how anti-social the game has become. So I want a good, social guild to join.

EDIT: I'm on Horde, Thaurissan.

Any Warlock players here who still enjoy playing their Warlock?

Still the original hero class.

Warlock since 2007, still rocking here.

I just started listening to the Designer Notes podcast and finished the 3.5-hour interview with Rob Pardo. Lot of cool discussion throughout but there was a funny story about how each class would have its own individual designer and he had Warlock. And Warlocks ended up being so much more awesome than all the other classes that they had to have him take a pass at all the other classes to try bring them up to the same level of quality . I also didn't know that the now-current Focus system for hunters was actually his original design but they couldn't get it working right and so they just switched them to mana last minute.

Apathy

After some hundred or so pulls, my guild finally killed mythic gorefiend. I don't think I've hated a fight as much as this in a while. The stomach mechanic was interesting but everything on the outside is nothing short of a clusterfuck.

Just experienced this. Giant group of people, only two melee among them. Melee holds boss while ranged peppers with assortment of abilities. Melee dies, ranged scatter like a flock of birds because none of us can take a hit to save our lives. Eventually someone revives melee, who then regains boss focus. Repeat three times.

So you needed more melee to help out? Why weren't there any?

JSoup

Banned
So you needed more melee to help out? Why weren't there any?

I've only been playing for a few weeks, but from what I gather the game is ridiculously easier to play as ranged and you only really need a melee in your group when fighting bosses. Like, if the group I was speaking of was twice as big and was all ranged, the melee wouldn't have mattered at all.

Robin64

That feeling when Warglaives drop for the first time in your life and you're on a Paladin.
Mmm, orange quality 24g vendor trash.

Lomax

That feeling when Warglaives drop for the first time in your life and you're on a Paladin.
Mmm, orange quality 24g vendor trash.

Yup, same thing happened to me, two weeks in a row even. Had to pull out Jeeves to grab the first one out of my bank and vendor it before I could even loot the second one. Got the Sunwell bow the same week on the same character too. I'm glad they did away with legendaries as drops, even if the quests are grindy.

Dinjooh

For the past years time I've made most, if not all of my money on transmog items. Buying cheap and selling high, but for some reason the market has slowed a lot for me over the last couple of months, so I've been looking desperately for some other market to venture into to satisfy my gold craving needs.

That's when I stumbled into this reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/woweconomy/comments/3n58qy/garrison_builds/

In this post the author describes a way to make gold with absolutely minimal effort, once it's all set up of course.

So two weeks ago I decided to start leveling up all my alts. At this point I only had two characters at lvl 100, and a bunch of characters from 60 to 90. Levelling them was actually way faster than I thought. Heirloom head, shoulder, chest, cloak, leggings for 45% extra xp and pot from garrison for an additional 20%. All the while Darkmoon Faire was running for an additional 10%. 75% extra xp and rested XP for the most of the alts meant that treasure hunting was absolutely insane for amassing levels.

Now I've been doing this for two weeks, and white it's satisfying to rack in all those many many missions, I haven't actually made any profit yet - upgrading all those garrisons is an incredibly expensive effort. The last couple of days I've even begun to keep track of my characters in a spreadsheet, because logging back and forth all the time is cumbersome.

Have any of you tried to do something similar - or do you have any tips for how to optimize this 'build' ?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I have a full set of epic level 700 pvp gear now and I have barely logged into the game since the PVP season started. I just queue garrison missions every few days and log off. With having tons of alts I get tons of those 1000 conquest medals that pop up.

Reason #9283 why garrisons are stupid.

ZenaxPure

I have a full set of epic level 700 pvp gear now and I have barely logged into the game since the PVP season started. I just queue garrison missions every few days and log off. With having tons of alts I get tons of those 1000 conquest medals that pop up.

Reason #9283 why garrisons are stupid.

Geared up my rogue entirely with those medals as well except I just bought cheap ones people would put up on the AH.

I actually find it really hilarious because when people saw that the old apexis gear was going to cost gold during datamining of the patch there was a lot of whining over the game going pay2win yet when the patch came out and you are now literally able to buy fairly decent gear with gold (and gold with real cash obviously) not many people actually seem to give a shit.

Jag

Have any of you tried to do something similar - or do you have any tips for how to optimize this 'build' ?

That reddit build is pretty good and close to what I did with my army of 100s. Unfortunately micro-managing the Garrison for gold just wasn't fun for me (and we game for fun right?) and I recently unsubbed even though I was making more than enough gold to cover the monthly rent.

I'll be back before Legion, but I'm done with Garrisons.

Dinjooh

That reddit build is pretty good and close to what I did with my army of 100s. Unfortunately micro-managing the Garrison for gold just wasn't fun for me (and we game for fun right?) and I recently unsubbed even though I was making more than enough gold to cover the monthly rent.

I'll be back before Legion, but I'm done with Garrisons.

Yea i'm afraid I'll fall into that trap aswell, but as of right now I'm enjoying it. I'm doing it mostly to pay for my own subscription and helping my girlfriend pay hers. If I can do that, with a minimal time investment - i'm happy.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
My garrisons are set up like that. They bring in a lot of gold. My sub is payed for far into next year because of that. A few months ago I got tired of logged into all the alts and doing garrison stuff so I normally only log in 1-3 times a week now to queue missions. I rarely touch any profession stuff anymore. It just got too tedious.

cdyhybrid

For the past years time I've made most, if not all of my money on transmog items. Buying cheap and selling high, but for some reason the market has slowed a lot for me over the last couple of months, so I've been looking desperately for some other market to venture into to satisfy my gold craving needs.

That's when I stumbled into this reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/woweconomy/comments/3n58qy/garrison_builds/

In this post the author describes a way to make gold with absolutely minimal effort, once it's all set up of course.

So two weeks ago I decided to start leveling up all my alts. At this point I only had two characters at lvl 100, and a bunch of characters from 60 to 90. Levelling them was actually way faster than I thought. Heirloom head, shoulder, chest, cloak, leggings for 45% extra xp and pot from garrison for an additional 20%. All the while Darkmoon Faire was running for an additional 10%. 75% extra xp and rested XP for the most of the alts meant that treasure hunting was absolutely insane for amassing levels.

Now I've been doing this for two weeks, and white it's satisfying to rack in all those many many missions, I haven't actually made any profit yet - upgrading all those garrisons is an incredibly expensive effort. The last couple of days I've even begun to keep track of my characters in a spreadsheet, because logging back and forth all the time is cumbersome.

I've done that. It just adds up slowly but surely, and the more 100s you have the better. The big fish is Blingtron's Secret Vault - a 1000g mission (which turns into 4000g if you have the proper Treasure Hunter followers). I also farm old raids for mounts, and 25H Cata raids drop ~130G per boss (plus whatever you get for vendoring the loot).

I've done that. It just adds up slowly but surely, and the more 100s you have the better. The big fish is Blingtron's Secret Vault - a 1000g mission (which turns into 4000g if you have the proper Treasure Hunter followers). I also farm old raids for mounts, and 25H Cata raids drop ~130G per boss (plus whatever you get for vendoring the loot).

I only have 5 100s and only log in once a day to start my garrision missions. I havent actually calculated the exact amount, but Id guess i make 45k gold a month just off of the gold. That does not include gold from selling off items, salvage yard, or anything else. I havent actually "played" wow in like 2 months, but since I make more gold than it costs to play for 5 minutes of work, i keep going at it. I kinda burnt myself out grinding mounts pretty hard for a few months. I quit 3 weeks into farming Mimi.

cdyhybrid

I only have 5 100s and only log in once a day to start my garrision missions. I havent actually calculated the exact amount, but Id guess i make 45k gold a month just off of the gold. That does not include gold from selling off items, salvage yard, or anything else. I havent actually "played" wow in like 2 months, but since I make more gold than it costs to play for 5 minutes of work, i keep going at it. I kinda burnt myself out grinding mounts pretty hard for a few months. I quit 3 weeks into farming Mimi.

Yeah, I'm slowing down a bit too, since my DK is now pretty much fully geared in Tanaan stuff. Just going to finish up my legendary ring and then we'll see what I do (probably keep farming mounts, maybe look for a casual 2-night raiding guild). I mix in DOTA/Diablo 3/Hearthstone/Smash Bros. to change it up so I don't burn out.

Legendary ring #2 get (and upgraded for the week). Alt DK is now 713 iLvl and nearly has better gear than my main (at least for Frost). Might look for a more serious guild on the weekdays for her, especially so I don't have to stack raids one after the other on Friday/Saturday. Though it looks like I'll have a job interview here tomorrow or the next day, so if I get that and have a work schedule I'll have to see what fits.

Dinjooh

Girlfriend is doing the same thing as I am, though only with 3 characters and Blingtron has already popped for her...

Though it looks like I'll have a job interview here tomorrow or the next day, so if I get that and have a work schedule I'll have to see what fits.

Best of luck!

That's interesting. I have a similar set up to the reddit poster.

What are the abbreviations on your spread sheet? What do they stand for?

Dinjooh

That's interesting. I have a similar set up to the reddit poster.

What are the abbreviations on your spread sheet? What do they stand for?

DW:Dwarven Bunker
BR: Barracks
LFI: Lunarfall Inn
PR: Profession
SH: Storagehouse
SY: Salvage Yard
TH: Treasure Hunter
GR: Garrison Resources

And since I posted that earlier I spent some time getting the shaman to level 100 aswell.

Next up - Death Knight! (Never tried those - pretty excited)

Edit: Figured it out.

I've only been playing for a few weeks, but from what I gather the game is ridiculously easier to play as ranged and you only really need a melee in your group when fighting bosses. Like, if the group I was speaking of was twice as big and was all ranged, the melee wouldn't have mattered at all.

And we're about to get another melee class, lol.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
From press release today:

Oct 13, 2015

SANTA MONICA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Activision Blizzard, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI) intends to release its third quarter 2015 results after the close of the market on Tuesday, November 3, 2015. In conjunction with this release, Activision Blizzard will host a conference call that will be broadcast over the Internet.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

1:30 p.m. Pacific Time (4:30 p.m. Eastern Time)

To listen to the call, please log onto:

http://investor.activision.com/events.cfm

Or dial:

U.S. and Canada: 800-344-6491

International: 785-830-7988

Passcode: 521129

Anyone planning to dial in to the call should RSVP to Pam Beaver at:

E-mail: PBeaver@activision.com

A presentation corresponding with the conference call will be available in Adobe Acrobat format at http://investor.activision.com/events.cfm. A replay of the call will also be available approximately three hours after the call's conclusion and archived for one year in the Investor Relations section at www.activisionblizzard.com.
Source: http://investor.activision.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=936316

Three days prior to BlizzCon 2015 we will get updated subscription numbers then. Morhaime may provide some hints on what to expect on BlizzCon too.

JSoup

Banned
For the past years time I've made most, if not all of my money on transmog items. Buying cheap and selling high, but for some reason the market has slowed a lot for me over the last couple of months...

Might have something to do with a D3-like transmog system being announced.

Fjordson

Got Draenor flying this morning!

Had fun going for it actually, especially all the stuff in Tanaan. The zone reminds me a bit of Timeless Isle with all the elites running around. Though I'm a bit lucky that I focused on questing when I initially leveled to 100. Made getting loremaster easy since I only had to finish one last questline in Nagrand.

Also had a question about follower missions. How does one unlock missions with better rewards? Is it based on the item level of my followers? Or is it my item level? Or something else entirely?

cdyhybrid

Got Draenor flying this morning!

Had fun going for it actually, especially all the stuff in Tanaan. The zone reminds me a bit of Timeless Isle with all the elites running around. Though I'm a bit lucky that I focused on questing when I initially leveled to 100. Made getting loremaster easy since I only had to finish one last questline in Nagrand.

Also had a question about follower missions. How does one unlock missions with better rewards? Is it based on the item level of my followers? Or is it my item level? Or something else entirely?

Your follower's item level and your item level.

phierce

I have 3 rings 750+ and my main's ring is like 8 kills away from max, but I'm finding it harder and harder to get the motivation to log in even just to kill Archi =/

Sad days.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Hit level 100 on my UD Warrior last night! Going to try out Gladiator stance, I really like the premise of it but heard it's not great DPS/performance wise.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Sooooooooo
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/19913791/patch-623-preview-10-14-2015

Gift of the Grove Warden
Soon, players who dare to face the fearsome might of Archimonde will receive an added bonus. For a limited time, defeating Archimonde on Heroic difficulty or higher will reward players with a mysterious fragment of dark power that begins a quest. When you bring this fragment to the druids of Moonglade, you&#8217;ll learn a little more about what&#8217;s in store for Azeroth, and the druids will give you a majestic Grove Warden mount in thanks for your efforts. This quest won&#8217;t be available forever&#8212;our current plan is to retire the quest in an update some time before Legion&#8217;s launch, so grab some friends and head to Hellfire Citadel while you can.

Also new arena season, and more time walking dungeons.

Top Bottom