• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Loxley

Coming back to the game after a seven month hiatus and finally getting both of my mains to 100. I'd forgotten just how much I enjoy playing my Monk. My trusty Paladin of ten years is still my go-to character, but the Monk is a really nice, fast alternative.

So, i see the token keeps getting more expensive. You think it will come back down with Legions releases? Im not sure if i should blow my wad now or wait and see what happens.

Daniel R

A little over a month ago I started keeping track of how much gold I am making with all my 30 garrisons. Half of them are just now coming into full production due to the the gearing of followers.

It seems that I generate about 1 million gold per month.
Gold missions seem to average about 500 gold per day and character.
I have enchanting hut on 19 characters which create a lot of shards. It is "free" gold because I buy the dust from the trading post.
I do not farm kazzak for the felblight, nor do I do old raids for gold.
One big pile of gold comes from the 675 mission rewards. Champions honor goes for around 12 k, Medallion of the legion and Elixir of the rapid mind for 3-5 k.

What do I spend it on?
2x tokens per month @62 k each.

Some battle pets to counter the dailies in the garrisons (I built lvl 3 menagerie on all 30 chars during this month). It is surprising how many blue battle pets you get from the daily quest, I would guess its more than 50% of the time. To sell them all is another matter.

Robin64

Finally done with the Legendary ring. Can't say it's been a fun journey, though the little bits outside of the raid grinding were neat. With no gear left to get in there, and my lack of doing normal raiding, my Hellfire Citadel days are finally over. Roll on Legion!

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I managed to get legendary cloaks on 3 characters and I can't even be bothered to finish a ring on one. There is just zero motivation or incentive.

Sigh. I really hope Legion is more appealing and worthwhile than WoD turned out to be.

Jag

A little over a month ago I started keeping track of how much gold I am making with all my 30 garrisons. Half of them are just now coming into full production due to the the gearing of followers.

I have enchanting hut on 19 characters which create a lot of shards. It is "free" gold because I buy the dust from the trading post.
One big pile of gold comes from the 675 mission rewards. Champions honor goes for around 12 k, Medallion of the legion and Elixir of the rapid mind for 3-5 k.

What do I spend it on?

Some battle pets to counter the dailies in the garrisons (I built lvl 3 menagerie on all 30 chars during this month). It is surprising how many blue battle pets you get from the daily quest, I would guess its more than 50% of the time. To sell them all is another matter.

Impressive, but is it fun? Because it sounds like work. Boring work.

cdyhybrid

Switched my DPS spec over to Unholy last night and did some mount farming. Would have spent some time in the target dummy really nailing down the priority, but I was drunk so it would have been a waste of time 😅 I missed the extra movespeed from Unholy Presence.

Fjordson

What do I spend it on?

30 Garrisons??? Goddamn! I'm barely able to keep up with my single one.

I managed to get legendary cloaks on 3 characters and I can't even be bothered to finish a ring on one. There is just zero motivation or incentive.

Sigh. I really hope Legion is more appealing and worthwhile than WoD turned out to be.

I missed an Archi kill on our usual raid nights and I'm still not sure I want to bother pugging it on normal because of how unappealing the prospect of doing it with randoms is.

I missed an Archi kill on our usual raid nights and I'm still not sure I want to bother pugging it on normal because of how unappealing the prospect of doing it with randoms is.

I've found that heroic pugs are more successful than normal ones generally, because of the higher ilvl/aotc requirements I guess. Admittedly I haven't tried normal arch since they removed mechanics from it.

I have 4 garrisons and that's enough for me. Sure more = more gold, but it already feels like a chore sometimes

I know that feeling. I raid Mon and Tues (which I enjoy) and the rest of the week I can barely make myself log in daily to do 3 garrisons. People with double digit garrisons is just insane to me =X

Daniel R

Impressive, but is it fun? Because it sounds like work. Boring work.

Well, yes and no. I hope they nerf garrison gold to the ground in Legion but I have already figured out ways to make thousands of gold with the garrisons each day even if they remove the gold missions.

If you don't raid with a guild you've got to find something else to do in game to have fun.
I have started farming mounts (at 230+) and doing Ashran for the pvp gear and achievements associated with the garrison pvp building .

Apart from levelling, optimizing stuff in-game interests me. So I've always read up on ways to make gold and doing it more efficiently.
Doing RAF for the RAF-mounts with my fiancee also provided us with a lot of characters (she also has 30 lvl 100s).

I could definitely pay for my two accounts with RL money but making so much gold I feel like I could use those 300 euros a year for 5 full-priced PS4 games instead.

StMeph

Doing RAF for the RAF-mounts with my fiancee also provided us with a lot of characters (she also has 30 lvl 100s).

I'm surprised there aren't more RAF mounts in circulation since it's basically now like buying a Store mount. There's the up-front cost of $20 for the WoW license, plus two tokens, but one is essentially subsidized since you get that month back on your main account.

Daniel R

I'm surprised there aren't more RAF mounts in circulation since it's basically now like buying a Store mount. There's the up-front cost of $20 for the WoW license, plus two tokens, but one is essentially subsidized since you get that month back on your main account.

Which is why I will likely get the last 2 RAF mounts I don't have by buying them for effectively 62 k each + the cost of a battlechest.

Fjordson

Man Naval missions are even duller than the regular follower missions...

I'm assuming they get better rewards eventually? All my ships are epic, yet the only rewards I'm seeing are Oil, XP and / or baleful gear that I don't need.

Robin64

Man Naval missions are even duller than the regular follower missions...

I'm assuming they get better rewards eventually? All my ships are epic, yet the only rewards I'm seeing are Oil, XP and / or baleful gear that I don't need.

If you get the Ghostly Spyglass, you can get missions which give heirloom rings.

Also, get two ships with fishing nets and blood elf crew and run the oil rig over and over again. There's a chance you can get that sea turtle mount.

Fjordson

If you get the Ghostly Spyglass, you can get missions which give heirloom rings.

Also, get two ships with fishing nets and blood elf crew and run the oil rig over and over again. There's a chance you can get that sea turtle mount.
Oh sweet. Just picked up the ghostly spyglass from the Tanaan rare.

Hey WoW-GAF, I have one question - does Blizz usually give their previous WoW expansions for free to existing players when they launch new expansion? Or do they give them away for free if you buy the new expansion?

I remember getting Mists of Pandaria for free sometime around the launch of Draenor, but I'm not sure if that was one-off thing, or something Blizz does regularly with new expansions.

Robin64

Hey WoW-GAF, I have one question - does Blizz usually give their previous WoW expansions for free to existing players when they launch new expansion? Or do they give them away for free if you buy the new expansion?

I remember getting Mists of Pandaria for free sometime around the launch of Draenor, but I'm not sure if that was one-off thing, or something Blizz does regularly with new expansions.

Yep, this is the case. When Legion comes out, WoD will be part of the base WoW set.

I can't even imagine how Blizzard can hope to rectify the gold influx that Warlords made possible. I mean, it's always been there, but Garrisons just took it to a ridiculous level.

Robin64

Legion will have to massively nerf Garrisons if they don't want us to continue using them for easy money. Not sure what they'll do.

I mean even if they completely removed Garrisons from the game the damage has already been done. Anyone who skipped or tapped out of Warlords early will be facing a huge economic disadvantage gold-wise if they return for Legion (let alone the difficulties a legit new player would face). Now obviously that principle has always been true for MMOs (you play more you get more), but I don't think magnitude of the disparity has ever been this large, mostly because of how easy it is to do via garrisons.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Legion will have to massively nerf Garrisons if they don't want us to continue using them for easy money. Not sure what they'll do.

I bet class halls will be a better source of gold. Like pre-nerfed garrison gold missions level.

idlewild_

I just got around to completing the AH in my garrison. I can't believe I waited this long, it is so convenient and even feels faster and more responsive. Going to have to build this on my AH alts too.

strafer

Those leaked WARCRAFT stills tho

0507_9klgh.gif

Robin64

I was just thinking, I hope Class Halls still have invasions and bosses attacking them. Then I got excited thinking how those would work. Because they'll be attacking just one class, they could be really tuned to need the abilities of the class they are attacking.

Scourge boss attacking Light's Hope where paladins have to use Turn Undead a lot, and an apocalyptic moment where they all have to bubble, etc. Or a rogue Blue Dragon attacking the mages where he buffs himself a lot and the mages have to spellsteal all his shit.

Could be really damn fun.

Well it's looking like Halloween killed tonight's raid. We currently have a bench of like 1-2 (lost a handful of people relatively recently) and we're gonna be out something like 4-5 tonight.
aaaah.gif

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
It's going to be ugly.

I just don't see how they could have stopped the bleeding given the Tanaan/HFC raid patch re-subs would have been apart of the 5.6 million number, There's not enough there to keep people subbed and there's going to be the usual end of expansion sub loss in addition to the bleed.

I think it'll all depend on what numbers there is for the WoW faithful, the players who are always going to be subbed, whether it's significant enough to keep it falling too low.

I also don't see how they're going to retain players even beyond this. The expansion is probably no earlier than March ( a couple weeks earlier for the pre-patch) and that's being optimistic. Realistically it's could be June... And that valor patch isn't going to bring droves of players back or keep a large enough group playing.

Edit: I'm just glad Blizzcon is a few days after so I can have something to help keep me optimistic about the game's future.

Syf

Banned
I think below 5 mil for sure, maybe dipping around 4. Don't see any reason why the numbers would be anything but down, and maybe significantly, since the Q2 results.

ZenaxPure

I also don't see how they're going to retain players even beyond this. The expansion is probably no earlier than March ( a couple weeks earlier for the pre-patch) and that's being optimistic.

Makes me wonder if they will tie beta access to the sub in some way to try and keep some numbers up.

Also wonder if they will do something similar to the annual pass again. Overwatch is coming at some point even though it's not entirely clear how they plan to monetize the game. Also SC2 is coming out after blizzcon but not sure SC has much pull tbh.

But yeah, fully expecting another loss here. No sympathy from me either, they've done almost nothing in WoD worth dropping real cash on for the sub. I will say I think the last minor patch fixed a lot of issues I had with 6.2 and the next patch will be fixing some more, but, it's not the kind of stuff that is going to help with subs.

Lomax

The brilliant thing that Blizzard did with the token is they got all that money up front, but all those subscriptions will be reported over a much longer amount of time. Just think how much lower their sub numbers would be now without it.

Top Bottom