• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Milennia

blizzcon this week, hoping for some good news regarding the beta and new patch date (being a week after the con hopefully, my ring is nearly max already and i have been BIS for about 6 weeks now).

i dont have much to do in the game that would actually make a difference currently since im essentially finished with content outside of farming each week for this expansion.

really need this blizzcon to be strong for WoW and i dont have much of a reason to believe it wont be, so heres to that.

ampere

It took me 5 years to get the Qiraji mount and I did a LOT of archeology, even had realm first achievements in the profession.

Took me all of Cata, but yea that grind sucked.

Hmm, can't decide what mount grind to focus on next. Shaohao rep for the Golden Cloud Serpent, Archaeology on my Mage for the Qiraji mount and Vial of the Sands, or Alani crystals.

I recommend not doing Alani, and just try to buy it off someone in trade. Usually only goes for 15-20k

Want to see more of the relic system, namely the warrior, ele shaman and druid weapons.

Also class changes for everybody. The no class questions seems offputting though. Hoping for an elemental rework and some arms changes.

cdyhybrid

Want to see more of the relic system, namely the warrior, ele shaman and druid weapons.

Also class changes for everybody. The no class questions seems offputting though. Hoping for an elemental rework and some arms changes.
No class questions because a lot is probably still up in the air. Last I heard the alpha build had DKs in a spot that would be unpresentable to the public. Supposedly some big changes coming to some classes.

ZenaxPure

I haven't played an MMO seriously since tapping out of WoW, but I was amazed at how much I abhorred traditional questing after getting exposed to public questing. It's just so much more intuitive and immersive. I mean yeah, once you understand the 'cycle' it feels a little gamey, but it just makes it so much easier to explore and jump in and out of stuff. I still enjoy a good linear quest-line, but that's not really where MMOs shine in the first place.

For me I prefer just normal ass traditional questing but after I do that once I pretty much never want to do it again (on alts and such) I'd like to see public questing in the game but not as a replacement for normal quest chains and such.

Milennia

oh man i cant wait to see these class changes....

my main class is in a near perfect spot for me right now sans 1 spec which im sure will get some sort of a rework or internal passive buff as they usually do each expac.

i will be pretty pissed if they just take the path of changing shit for the sake of change.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I like how the Q&A is FINALLY pre-approved questions instead of the awkward-fest at the mics like it is every year.

It's a little telling that they decide to do it this year though. I can't imagine the people getting up to the mic would be particularly nice this year.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The Beginning, eh? I guess they're really eyeing this to be a franchise. I hope it does well but I'll be surprise if it either doesn't tank or does very unimpressive numbers.

It's a little telling that they decide to do it this year though. I can't imagine the people getting up to the mic would be particularly nice this year.

They'd have to hide Holinka in a panic room.

[edit]

From Reddit.

3Q7be0B.jpg

Fjordson

I'm hyped for the Warcraft movie. Duncan Jones directing, ILM effects and Ramin Djawadi on the score are all good signs that they're taking this seriously. lmao @ the orange and blue on the poster though. I've read entire articles before about Hollywood's weird obsession with the orange/blue contrast on movie posters.

I don't know what the wow community's expectation is for the movie (I'm sure it's negative on the forums) but I'm pretty hyped for it, even if turns out to be trash I think it will still be stupid fun for me.

Battle.net busted for anyone else right now? According to twitter there seems to be some problems, but I can't even get on the battle.net site to post a trace.

I don't know what the wow community's expectation is for the movie (I'm sure it's negative on the forums) but I'm pretty hyped for it, even if turns out to be trash I think it will still be stupid fun for me.

Wicked CGI and a corny-ass story. That's about all I expect from a film about Warcraft.

Syf

Banned
Nice. Happy to be wrong, lol. I expected much worse. Blizzard MAU up 50% y/y is great to see too. Now deliver us something great with Legion. :)

Couleurs

I'm pleasantly surprised the bleeding stopped this quarter. I can't imagine a significant amount of people would resubscribe already just because of the announcement of an expansion that was likely a year away, so I figure it's either that we are down to the "hardcore" (for lack of a better word) subscribers who will stick around no matter what, or a bunch of people stockpiled WoW tokens when they were introduced and just don't bother to unsubscribe when they aren't playing.

ZenaxPure

I'm pleasantly surprised the bleeding stopped this quarter. I can't imagine a significant amount of people would resubscribe already just because of the announcement of an expansion that was likely a year away, so I figure it's either that we are down to the "hardcore" (for lack of a better word) subscribers who will stick around no matter what, or a bunch of people stockpiled WoW tokens when they were introduced and just don't bother to unsubscribe when they aren't playing.

I dunno about that honestly. There is for sure probably a core number of people that will play no matter what but just looking at history there is no guarantee that number is 5.5 mil. The year long no content lull in Cata still kept 9 mil subs and the year+ lull in MoP kept 7.5 for the majority of it. WoD has 5.5 during its lull and that lull is still in the early stages.

Am really curious about the token theory though. Despite subs not dropping much if you look at the warcraft realms activity chart the amount of people actually logging in and playing over the past couple of months has had a noticeable drop. Obviously that data isn't fully encompassing since it is collected through an optional addon, but, it has always mostly lined up with sub data in the past.

I'll admit I am sort of guilty of this, I extended my sub until mid-2017 when tokens were 18-19k a pop but when D3 season 4 started I only logged on WoW like twice over the course of the first month. The headless horseman infinite sadness event is what finally got me back into the habit of at least logging in once per day to do all my garrison shit (since despite all the nerfs the gold is still really good for how little effort you have to put in). That has lead to me just playing more often in general as well. Did a bunch of timewalking on my druid alt last week and have been doing a lot of arch lately since we can fly now.

Sub thread of doom and gloom on gaming side is all too predictable.

But I don't have the time or energy to get into debates.

Am I playing less right now? Yeah. I pretty much just log on to raid. Would I be playing at all if not for the token? Probably not. Am I curious to see what else new has been cooked up for Legion at Blizzcon this week? Yes.

I've said it before, but I've invested enough into the game that I don't know if I could truly give it up completely, so long as there is new content every now and again. It's just the droughts that suck.

StMeph

In typical investor mentality, it's never about what sub numbers/revenue you have, it's about how much you've grown it. So 5.5 million might be enviable by any other game's standards, but people only remember how WoD drove the number back over 10 million. From there, 5.5 million looks awful.

But HTC just announced the same thing. They're going to stop giving guidance on earnings, and it seems like Blizzard's doing the same thing for subscriber numbers. In some ways it makes sense, because providing it is stacked against the company. If it's good, people expect more, and if it's bad, people overreact. It's a losing move.

Trokil

Banned
I understand them, but losing half of your playerbase in a few month may be a good indication that something went wrong. Of course Blizzard never ever makes any mistakes, but it was at least an interesting indicator.

Loxley

I'll repost this here since it seems a lot of people still haven't seen it. Back during Comic-Con Legendary released a fully interactive, 360-degree Gryphin fly-through of Stormwind City from the film.

Warcraft: Skies of Azeroth

If you're watching it on a PC, you can use the WASD keys or your mouse to look around the city. On a phone or tablet? Just move it around - it's pretty freaking cool. Wanna make it even more epic? Time it with the Stormwind theme.

Entropia

No One Remembers
So, what are people hoping for at BlizzCon? (Anything!)

1. Overwatch release date
2. Legion release date
3. Legion beta announcement
4. Diablo 3 expansion
5. Hearthstone 'expansion'

WoW specific things:
1. More lore info
2. Dungeon / Raid info
3. Profession changes (i.e. not what WoD did. I liked what they did in Wrath and Cata)
4. Elemental Shaman re-work
5. Whatever unannounced feature they talked about
6. New / Removed Stats (i.e. no tertiary stats)
7. No more Warforged gear
8. New battlegrounds
9. New skins/themes for existing battlegrounds

ZenaxPure

Pretty sure that is a green orc at the end of that trailer!

Mostly want Legion info myself, what their plans are for endgame activities this time around and curious to see if there are any major features they haven't talked about yet. Also hoping they talk about the transmog system some, I want to know if it will work similar to the D3 one.

Other than that I hope there is at least something about the next D3 patch, want to see some more of those sets they are redesigning.

Loxley

1. Overwatch release date
2. Legion release date
3. Legion beta announcement
4. Diablo 3 expansion
5. Hearthstone 'expansion'

WoW specific things:
1. More lore info
2. Dungeon / Raid info
3. Profession changes (i.e. not what WoD did. I liked what they did in Wrath and Cata)
4. Elemental Shaman re-work
5. Whatever unannounced feature they talked about
6. New / Removed Stats (i.e. no tertiary stats)
7. No more Warforged gear
8. New battlegrounds
9. New skins/themes for existing battlegrounds

Yep, you pretty much covered everything.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know what typeface is used for the "Con" part in the BlizzCon logo?

I need a flat vector version of it for a thing, but it looks like I will have to create it myself as Blizzard's PR manager didn't respond to my request.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member

Stuff I'm excited to see or hope to see/have answered.

1. Overwatch - Release date, is there an open beta + date, any new levels or characters,other info that we don't about.
2. Legion beta date and release date/time frame. A cool new trailer.
3. Diablo 3 plans. Would love to see a new expansion announcement.
4. Warcraft movie trailer that's more than just flashing-by shots.

Wow
1. End-game content plans. What are we actually going to be doing at max level? Would like to see quest hub/zone examples. Surely apexis areas can't go ahead as they are.
2. Adventure Mode - if it exists what is it. Is it similar to the D3 system? Does it send you back into the old world to do random quests/events etc? Was this the feature the 2 devs were excited about?
3. Changing/new class spec info. Demon hunter, melee hunter, disc priest, demo lock, shaman overhaul? etc.
4. More info on pvp spec. Don't think we'll see anything else pvp related, think the boat may have sailed regarding new bgs and arenas for Legion. I think this is the big pvp feature.
5. More info on class halls. Examples mainly, I'd love to see what other places look like. I hope they can confirm whether we can talk to the opposing faction when inside.
6. Show me Dalaran for a few seconds so I can see what may have changed.
7. Transmog wardrobe UI.
8. How professions are being planned. Example quests etc

1. I hope they don't spend a lot of time on Artifact weapons. It'd be neat to see more weapon examples but I just know they'll linger on it too long.
2. I hope they don't re-announce everything they already talked about like last year...
3. I hope the QA isn't filled with idiots asking already answered questions and joke ones.

New battleground "skins" could be cool. Like seasonal ones. A snowy Warsong Gulch etc. Could freshen up some of them.

Mainly I just love the spectacle of it all. I can't imagine an interesting Blizzcon without WoW.

Top Bottom