• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Don't worry ya'll, it's being made and uploaded approx. 1 day before Blizzcon goes live!

Robin64

KACiTK2.png

StMeph

Yeah, I'm slow on my WoW news after I let my sub lapse!

Next thing you're going to notice is that the Warcraft movie trailer is out.

who's doing the blizzcon OT`?
Shit, where's Yoshichan?

Rosti seems to have a pretty good foundation for one with all of the stuff he's already produced.

A Rosti + Yoshichan OT would be amazing though.

Edit:
Don't worry ya'll, it's being made and uploaded approx. 1 day before Blizzcon goes live!

Damn. Never doubt Yoshi's love-hate for Blizzard.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
studying for an exam that's due on friday + moving to a new crib + real life being hectic + Blizzcon thread

standard yoshichan life

look forward to the thread, this might be one of the best ones

Tacitus_

studying for an exam that's due on friday + moving to a new crib + real life being hectic + Blizzcon thread

standard yoshichan life

look forward to the thread, this might be one of the best ones

Will the new crib have a couch for long?
I'm sorry

Yoshichan

is that important?
To be on the OT-hype train? Normally, yes - but for you, I'll make something special... no avatar required

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be happy to help out with any graphics for the BlizzCon thread, Yoshichan, should you find yourself short on time.

Robin64

Got my Legacy of the Void pet in WoW, woo!

Also got Blizzcon 2015 (and LotV) stuff in Diablo III and SCII, too, so cool, wasn't expecting that this early.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
That virtual ticket is really expensive and don't give much, I don't understand the appeal I guess

It's 100% just for the ingame murloc for me. I've never wanted a blizzcon goodies or collectors edition until this one. The demon-fel-edgelord-grim-megadark motif really gets my motor running.

It's not like it's hard to find streams of stuff either, but they're also always fucking around in with it with background noise or putting text up and stuff.

ampere

The virtual ticket is well worth it if you're going to be watching most of the panels and contests. It's a high quality stream and there's a lot of content

If you just wanna see the details about Legion, you can just check MMO champ for free :p

Blizzcon crept up on me. Should I be keeping my hype in check?

Nah, this is like nerd christmas. Go nuts!

This has been a pretty ace week, joined my first guild, completed my Ele/Resto Shaman heirloom set, even upgraded two pieces up to 90, Blizzcon is happening in a few short days and I can watch it all as it happens.

I'm pretty excited about Legion mostly but I do hope they announce the third and final Diablo 3 expansion, or at least hint at it. Reaper of Souls and Loot 2.0 were so ace but the seasonal stuff hasn't been my jam.

Yeah third Diablo expansion would be a treat and the timing seems right. I'd love Druid from D2or a Shaman in the diablo world.

Playing my arms warrior on some fights in HFC, there's some easy changes they could make to smooth the spec out. Seems odd sweeping strikes is 15 dura and cd with it taking a gcd. Would it be so broken if sweeping strikes was just completely passive or a toggle? The rage spend on activating it seems meaningless. Also it's extremely frustrating to have ring cooldowns shared, basically no one holds it for <20% health. Having backloaded damage would be ok if fights had static length but as people get more and more geared that range of health gets a shorter amount of time and cooldowns don't line up exactly. I hope they address this & single target damage with Warriors in legion.

ZenaxPure

Wouldn't really get my hopes up for a D3 expansion announcement. Based on what they've said it seems like they'll just be talking about the next patch (which seems like it might have a new dungeon feature of some sort).

Not saying it's impossible but I am not expecting it myself.

JSoup

Banned
There is another topic kicking around about finally getting around remaking the original games and rereleasing them. So even if we don't get another D3 expansion, a D2 remake seems to be in the works.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
They had those assets added to the battle.net launcher for over a year now. I thought they were gonna announce re-released of that stuff last year.

Probably announce it on friday.

I think it's more just adding functionality to classic games that are already tied to our b.net accounts--Starcraft, Diablo 2 and Warcaft 3--and making them run (and be purchasable) through the new b.net client as well as making them play nice with modern OS's and resolutions.

I mean the job listing for this sounds like it's only targeting programmers...

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/posting.html?id=15000XZ

RESPONSIBILITIES
Make gameplay first again on modern operating systems.
Create conditions for experiences that look as good as they play.
Own implementation and curation of features new and old.
Combat hacking to improve multiplayer.
Diagnose and fix all the things: crashes, deadlocks, overflows, heap corruptions, etc.

REQUIREMENTS
Expert knowledge of C / C++
A minimum of 5 years’ development experience
Experience debugging unfamiliar code
Passion for games
Excite us

PLUSES
Experience debugging Win32 or OS X game software
Experience using Visual Studio or Xcode
Experience with x86 assembly

But they do have some spruced up assets for Dota...err, Warcraft 3.

Yoshichan

halp

in how many hours exactly (from now) does the Blizzcon opening ceremony start? It says FRIDAY 20 CET

i'm dead tired and i'm not on my computer so any help would be awesome :)

edit: also, CONGRATS cdyhybrid!

ampere

halp

in how many hours exactly (from now) does the Blizzcon opening ceremony start? It says FRIDAY 20 CET

i'm dead tired and i'm not on my computer so any help would be awesome :)

edit: also, CONGRATS cdyhybrid!

11:00 a.m. PT on Friday, November 6, 2015, that is 33 hours and 15 minutes from this post

edit: yea I was wrong, off by an hour. Fixed it

Shahadan

I wish they took the time to realize that raiding is in dire need of an overhaul.

I mean, the goal should be to encourage people to raid and make it easier for groups to invite people. In the current state of things, which are from another age, people are either scared to try because they will fail and because of that groups require people to be of an absurd ilvl and only invite experienced players, leaving the others in the dust.
All of that amounts to a very shitty atmosphere and experience all around.

I know, guild groups, blablablah, but it's not possible for everyone.

Codex is shit and no one wants to read it, and the idea that you should watch a video before stepping inside a raid was dumb shit 10 years ago and is not getting more modern now.
Even a very basic Proving Ground stuff allowing people to see what it's like without the pressure would be of some help imo. Or even make it a "video" like lorewalker cho's stories, or some sort of hologram showing boss capacities. Do fucking something.

Yoshichan

thanks a lot guys!

Thread will be up within 18 hours.

I wish they took the time to realize that raiding is in dire need of an overhaul.

I mean, the goal should be to encourage people to raid and make it easier for groups to invite people. In the current state of things, which are from another age, people are either scared to try because they will fail and because of that groups require people to be of an absurd ilvl and only invite experienced players, leaving the others in the dust.
All of that amounts to a very shitty atmosphere and experience all around.

I know, guild groups, blablablah, but it's not possible for everyone.

Codex is shit and no one wants to read it, and the idea that you should watch a video before stepping inside a raid was dumb shit 10 years ago and is not getting more modern now.
Even a very basic Proving Ground stuff allowing people to see what it's like without the pressure would be of some help imo. Or even make it a "video" like lorewalker cho's stories, or some sort of hologram showing boss capacities. Do fucking something.

I think part of the problem with raids and more casual players--and I am saying this as a casual player--is that none of the game leading up to the point where you start to raid really forces you to learn how to play the game all that well. Leveling-up content is brain dead easy and heirlooms make it even more brain dead. There's literally no challenge until you hit the end-game.

I took a break from WoW to try out Wildstar when it went f2p and there was a number of things I liked about WS. The player/enemy/npc ability anticipations/telegraphs being in every aspect of the game was huge for me. From trash mobs while you level up to dungeons to raids. From the moment you start to play the game it starts to hammer concepts about combat mechanics into the player's head. The training dungeon, Protostar Academy, is the first dungeon that opens up in Wildstar once you're able to start dungeon queuing. It painfully spells out what you need to do to not wipe and pass each phase. "Don't stand in the red" You can lead a horse to water but you can't force it to drink. Since it's unlikely Blizzard will drastically re-work WoW's combat system, perhaps bringing a raid tier more in-line with how they treat leveling up and dungeon content is the way to go. Make a casual raid tier that's super forgiving, allows you to learn the raid and its mechanics without any pressure but it doesn't reward you with super awesome gear.

Still, at the end of the day, the difficulty of PUG raiding/LFR is still partially a player created problem. The queue times can be unbearably long because of the classes players choose to play. There's a glut of dps players and not many healers and fewer tanks. Also getting the Mutes of Azeroth to group up and do anything--even casual leveling content so people aren't competing over limited resource points/kills/bosses--can be damned near impossible.

I agree that there should be an easier route with less pressure to learn the raid while playing. Like you would have to have queued through the training wheels version of a rid before going into LFR proper. But even if there's a proving ground, a new casual raid tier or whatever, you're still going to have to come up with a 25 player group and I'd argue that's a bigger problem than the difficulty of the content. Maybe when someone goes to create a toon they provide some information/metrics about how many DPS. Heals and Tanks there are on a given server? Suggest that someone try out a class that can spec into tank/dps or heals/dps to alleviate queue times later in the game.

I was thinking about getting RoS on PS4, but if a third Diablo III expansion is that inevitable...

Lmao, my bad. Would love for three expansions though, curious why more popular games don't just adapt the Street Fighter & MMO model where they build on the games through expansions for years on end. Then you don't have to worry about adoption rates for new games when you already have an established player base. I guess yearly installments are similar for single player games though, I just like stability from one game. I'd love to see a warcraft 3 expansion even though FT was like 10 years ago. Then again it's much easier to squeeze money from something like HS so I could see Blizzard shifting gears to more projects like that.

Wouldn't really get my hopes up for a D3 expansion announcement. Based on what they've said it seems like they'll just be talking about the next patch (which seems like it might have a new dungeon feature of some sort).

Not saying it's impossible but I am not expecting it myself.

Yeah I'm treating it as a nice surprise. If they wanted another expansion I think this would be the prime time to do it rather than let the player base slump for another year. It's about the same time between D3 launch and RoS. May 2012 -> March 2014 -> Q1/Q2 2016

cdyhybrid

The problem with making a raid difficulty for newcomers that doesn't punish them for missing mechanics is that if screwing up the mechanics doesn't punish you, the vast majority of people won't bother doing them. Players are lazy and will take any shortcut they can.

See also: LFR

PUGs requiring TIAFC to do normal Hellfire Assault is dumb, yes, but there's nothing Blizzard can reasonably do about that. Start your own group, join a guild, or use OpenRaid.

That said, I agree with the above post that raid-like mechanics should be present throughout the leveling experience. You see a little bit of it in the mobs on the Timeless Isle, but it needs to be much more common.

ZenaxPure

That said, I agree with the above post that raid-like mechanics should be present throughout the leveling experience. You see a little bit of it in the mobs on the Timeless Isle, but it needs to be much more common.

MoP as a whole had plenty of enemies with "don't stand here" mechanics but none of them really did any damage outside of rare spawns (which were awesome and it's a shame they abandoned that style of rare spawn).

Personally what I've always wanted to see them do is add like a heroic mode questing experience. Not sure how much effort it would be to implement but I think there is actual value in adding a solo phased quest experience with scaling mobs or capped ilvl and the setup is more akin to a dungeon where named enemies have mechanics that can kill you if you don't pay attention and normal enemies are strong enough that it punishes gathering up everything you can and just AOEing it down.

I'd like to believe in my heart of hearts that if hunters had a place they were on their own and used barrage without thinking of positioning first and were punished for it they would actually be able to learn from that experience and apply it to group content.

StMeph

I'd like to believe in my heart of hearts that if hunters had a place they were on their own and used barrage without thinking of positioning first and were punished for it they would actually be able to learn from that experience and apply it to group content.

How many QQ/nerf threads were there about the original Hunter solo quest from Molten Core for the bow? How many threads for Kanrethad/green fire? What about Proving Grounds?

Some people refuse to learn anything and just want it easier. The worst are the ones proclaiming it's impossible when there's evidence of people doing the exact same thing with intentionally handicapped gear or abilities.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
How many QQ/nerf threads were there about the original Hunter solo quest from Molten Core for the bow? How many threads for Kanrethad/green fire? What about Proving Grounds?

Some people refuse to learn anything and just want it easier. The worst are the ones proclaiming it's impossible when there's evidence of people doing the exact same thing with intentionally handicapped gear or abilities.

That one guy who killed Karenthad naked except for a ilevel 550 wep or something.

ZenaxPure

Let people whine, I think proving grounds for healer/tank have been a great thing overall. My heroic dungeon experience in WoD early on was pretty good and most of my complaints were always with bad DPS which is no surprise given how bad the DPS proving ground is.

Top Bottom