• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I need some advice. I am leveling a 37 Fury Warrior and the urge to use my 100 boost is rising.

What would I be looking at if I were to do that? What would I need to catch up on? Are professions going to be worth doing in Legion? Would you advise this or against this? Just a little antsy before the xpac goes live and I don't know if I'll be able to grind through to 100 in time.

Tenebrous

I need some advice. I am leveling a 37 Fury Warrior and the urge to use my 100 boost is rising.

What would I be looking at if I were to do that? What would I need to catch up on? Are professions going to be worth doing in Legion? Would you advise this or against this? Just a little antsy before the xpac goes live and I don't know if I'll be able to grind through to 100 in time.

Getting to level 60 means when you use your boost you'll get two maxed out professions, so I'd at least grind for that.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Dire Beast whistle removal still pissing me off. Why not just make it quieter, why remove it completly. Theres zero feedback now when you use the skill

I just realized DH are the only ones who get a real leveling experience in legion, since they unlock a talent tier every couple levels, lucky them.

Dugna

hit 60 and you will have the majority of your abilities and you can fully lvl your profs....the only big changes to lvl 100 from 60 is like 4-5 abilities or passive things and thats it...

Kintaro

hit 60 and you will have the majority of your abilities and you can fully lvl your profs....the only big changes to lvl 100 from 60 is like 4-5 abilities or passive things and thats it...

Getting to level 60 means when you use your boost you'll get two maxed out professions, so I'd at least grind for that.

Thanks. Any advice on which professions to take up?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I have so many alts with level 0 profs, lol

Only my Priest has max profs. And I haven't played him since Pandaria

Tenebrous

Inexcusable with how easy WoD has made it to level professions. You can go buy max Alchemy & BS for <5k from the AH & level both up within an hour.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Reading up a bit on legendaries, it's actually very similar to Diablo 3's legendaries (another thing lifted from Diablo 3 for this expansion), there are a lot more slots with legendaries (wrists, boots, etc) but more importantly, some effects are so powerful that, like Diablo, you would want to actually spec and play around them.

Of course the problem (well, "problem) is that in Diablo they are quite common to get in general, and I doubt that's the case here.

Brewmaster is fucking fun. I don't know why I felt intimidated to tank in general and try the spec out for so long but damn I am glad I leveled a monk with these invasions. Windwalker and Mistweaver are specs I enjoy immensely as well. Definitely gonna get this to cap and main it in Legion. Fury/Prot Warrior will be my go to alt for sure, but Monk is what I wanna go with for Legion.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Inexcusable with how easy WoD has made it to level professions. You can go buy max Alchemy & BS for <5k from the AH & level both up within an hour.
I also rarely have more than 1k gold at a time

Ashodin

Reading up a bit on legendaries, it's actually very similar to Diablo 3's legendaries (another thing lifted from Diablo 3 for this expansion), there are a lot more slots with legendaries (wrists, boots, etc) but more importantly, some effects are so powerful that, like Diablo, you would want to actually spec and play around them.

Of course the problem (well, "problem) is that in Diablo they are quite common to get in general, and I doubt that's the case here.

I think legendaries with secondary effects are a GREAT idea for WoW. Allowing you to kit out a character to a particular playstyle is the type of customization the game needs. Not based around pew pew do more %, but "does this make the game more fun for me"

Xiaoki

Crafting professions can be important in Legion.

At level 110 you can make a full set of ilevel 815 gear. Which is very good when starting out. You can't just get level 110 and walk into Heroics in Legion.

Also, it lets you get a jump start on World quests. World quests that reward gear scale with your ilevel. If you are below ilevel 805 then they will reward ilevel 805 gear. If you are ilevel 805 then they will reward ilevel 810 gear and so on.

Lastly, you can upgrade the crafted set by disenchanting other crafted gear in Dalaran for Obliterum. Which will give your crafted gear +5 ilevel up to a max of 850.

So, crafting can be important in Legion. I hard core grinded skinning and leatherworking on my Demon Hunter in preparation.

biaxident

My issue with legendaries everywhere is that if you get unlucky enough to get the really bad ones first, it is going to be a thing where you can't get into a raid without a good legendary, it absolutely will be a thing. Some of the leg's are so powerful that it will be a big boost to whatever, so naturally a group will say "link what leg you got". I don't believe they are super frequent drops, you get them but if in the first 3 months of legion you only get 2 terrible ones, good luck. I love the idea of an item changing the playstyle, but this is wow, groups will make it required to have a good one sadly. Still remember the nightmare of gearscore back in wrath or cata.

Kintaro

Crafting professions can be important in Legion.

At level 110 you can make a full set of ilevel 815 gear. Which is very good when starting out. You can't just get level 110 and walk into Heroics in Legion.

Also, it lets you get a jump start on World quests. World quests that reward gear scale with your ilevel. If you are below ilevel 805 then they will reward ilevel 805 gear. If you are ilevel 805 then they will reward ilevel 810 gear and so on.

Lastly, you can upgrade the crafted set by disenchanting other crafted gear in Dalaran for Obliterum. Which will give your crafted gear +5 ilevel up to a max of 850.

So, crafting can be important in Legion. I hard core grinded skinning and leatherworking on my Demon Hunter in preparation.

Well then! Thanks for the tips! All of you. I appreciate it.

For the most part, yeah. They probably fall under "Lawful Evil" on the classic d&d style scale, what with their adherence to Sylvanas.

That's how I view them but I've been trying to rationalize them as being "good" in my mind.

Pandaren should have been Alliance only, but I'm pretty sure Blizzard just wanted to focus their efforts into a single race for MoP after the problems with Worgen/Goblins. Are undead evil? For the last few expansions they have largely been fighting against greater threats, so they are a boon to Azeroth. I would say that the other races should not really put much trust into the Forsaken though, especially with the direction the story is leading them.

Pandaren definitely should have been Alliance only. Having one neutral race is cool, though.

Blood Elves/High Elves would have been a better choice for that race...

Yeah, I can't help but think of the pandaren as an Alliance race. Especially because of how much more welcomed they are during their beginning scenario with King Varian as opposed to Garrosh who didn't seem to care for them at all.

Speaking of which, both of those pandaren intros should probably be changed now lol

Maddrical

Question for all you tanks out there: how is it? I haven't tanked an instance since TBC where my main was a Warrior, and I loved it. Since then though, I lost a lot of free time and cared a lot less about the game so I went to DPS, dabbled a bit in healing too (which I loved). With Legion coming up, I resubbed and I've been getting my Hunter ready, however I've been talking to my mate about getting a 5-man group together to do mythics and such, since I doubt I'll be raiding. I kinda want the extra challenge of tanking instead of standing back and doing damage, as I've always preferred the core roles of tank/heal over DPS. I'm mainly interested in plate wearers, so out of the 3, any recommendations of the most fun? Don't really care about being the very best if it's boring, I'd rather a fun spec.

Also, what were the beta impressions of mythics like, if they were in the beta? I do hope they're challenging, I didn't do any in WoD so I'm unsure.

Speaking of pandas, got my Horde monk to 70 tonight. Don't think I'll be hitting 80 before I head to bed as the experience gain has significantly slowed at this point, even with actively farming mobs solo, but this is probably the fastest I've leveled a toon. Overall Invasions have been great for me.

Speaking of which, both of those pandaren intros should probably be changed now lol

The Pandaren introduction, be it Horde or Alliance, occupies a specific place in time, like the two Dalarans, so it probably won't be changed. I mean the Horde intro cinematic to Mists of Pandaria intro has Garrosh and Nazgrim in it. They're not going to change that.

Maddrical

Speaking of pandas, got my Horde monk to 70 tonight. Don't think I'll be hitting 80 before I head to bed as the experience gain has significantly slowed at this point, even with actively farming mobs solo, but this is probably the fastest I've leveled a toon. Overall Invasions have been great for me.

How long has it taken so far? Are you just farming invasions? I heard someone say they've leveled 3 or 4 toons to 100 from invasions only which is pretty nuts.

Dugna

The weirdest zone intro is Twilight highlands on the horde side, You get the quests done for your supposive peaceful warchief now but then get on the zep to twilight highlands and garrosh is on a ship killing a dragon and making friends with the dragonmaw. Then the quest says to return to the warchief being garrosh in that instance but then you turn it into voljin/whoever it's now and they call dragonmaw an asset. Even though Dragonmaw were basically eradicated after SoO and Blackrock spire....with Zaela dying and all that.

I seriously think Garrosh was meant to stay warchief into WoD and more, but people just couldn't stand a warchief being somebody besides thrall so they had to write him being a piece of crap for green jesus.

SolVanderlyn

HOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHIT

HUUUUUGE STORY BEAT FROM LEGION

At least if you're a lore nerd like me, otherwise it probably won't appeal to you too much

spoilers

http://i.imgur.com/r13OniH.jpg

Speech upon clicking: It's just Calia now...

THIS IS ARTHAS' SISTER CALIA MENETHIL. She starts the Priest artifact quest.

The Pandaren introduction, be it Horde or Alliance, occupies a specific place in time, like the two Dalarans, so it probably won't be changed. I mean the Horde intro cinematic to Mists of Pandaria intro has Garrosh and Nazgrim in it. They're not going to change that.

Oh, I didn't think about it like that. Makes sense.

Doukou

They did change panda intro(at least for alliance). You no longer do the little boxing fight and it ends after talking to the king.

ampere

Any advice on which professions to take up?

For a Warrior I'd recommend Mining/Blacksmithing -> craft plate armor for you and to sell. If you have no intention to make armor, you could try Mining and Engineering (can make neat tools like a loot boomerang).

How long has it taken so far? Are you just farming invasions? I heard someone say they've leveled 3 or 4 toons to 100 from invasions only which is pretty nuts.

Mostly just invasions. I have had these two days off so I could actively go to almost every invasion. Mostly played through them, but I afk'd through a bunch while doing other things yesterday. You get better exp solo'ing mobs now than you do afk'ing. I have full heirlooms, I'm not using pots/RAF but I have been using Enlightenment and infrequently doing dungeon queues during invasion downtime because they're pretty much instant as a Brewmaster. I was 14 yesterday morning, I'm 73 now and will probably be 75 when I log-off after this next batch of invasions.

I know people have leveled to cap faster, so it's not wholly remarkable or anything but normally I'd be roughly 30 levels lower by now with straight dungeon queuing and have a heck of a lot less gold. Invasions have been pretty good. 75 to 85 will probably be a bit of a slog, but MoP quest exp is pretty solid, 85-90 should go quickly and Draenor Pathfinder will make 90-100 fly by.

Kain

You'll see when they kill Aggra and this girl appears to console the green big guy

How old is Thrall's baby? I can't wait until he's the new Warchief.

Don't worry, when they need him to grow up he'll take the potion of rapid growth Anduin took and he'll be ready. Then during his teenage rebellious years he'll become an emo warlock, to the dismay of his super shaman daddy, and we'll have to babysit the kid until someone knocks some sense into him (probably Saurfang the awesome) and he'll end up being a priest. And nothing goes according to plan for poor Thrall, as always.

Xeteh

I know people have leveled to cap faster, so it's not wholly remarkable or anything but normally I'd be roughly 30 levels lower by now with straight dungeon queuing and have a heck of a lot less gold. Invasions have been pretty good. 75 to 85 will probably be a bit of a slog, but MoP quest exp is pretty solid, 85-90 should go quickly and Draenor Pathfinder will make 90-100 fly by.

I got my Shaman to 100 today and I was doing invasions then goign to Draenor and looting treasures. With heirlooms and the +20% potion from the garrison I went from 98-100 in about an hour.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
There's some crazy bug right now for leveling 98-100. Or even just clearing invasions in general.

Once you hit 98, pick up the quest before you take the boat over. Org/SW, wherever your city is. You end up getting food/armor/damage buffs. The damage one is a random holy damage proc. I've been 2 shotting mobs for the last hour. Even 25% health of the final boss per proc. It's insane. It only took 21 minutes to get from 98 to 99 just by clearing as much as I could during stage 3.

Try it out. Only works if you haven't started the initial legion quest. You can keep the quest and never finish it and just keep picking up the buffs. This will probably be hotfixed real soon. Luckily I'm about to hit 100 lol

Xeteh

There's some crazy bug right now for leveling 98-100. Or even just clearing invasions in general.

Once you hit 98, pick up the quest before you take the boat over. Org/SW, wherever your city is. You end up getting food/armor/damage buffs. The damage one is a random holy damage proc. I've been 2 shotting mobs for the last hour. Even 25% health of the final boss per proc. It's insane. It only took 21 minutes to get from 98 to 99 just by clearing as much as I could during stage 3.

Try it out. Only works if you haven't started the initial legion quest. You can keep the quest and never finish it and just keep picking up the buffs. This will probably be hotfixed real soon. Luckily I'm about to hit 100 lol

You don't even need to be 98. I'm not sure what the level is but you can get it far earlier if the area where those buffs are is in the proper phase. I've got it on my 75 Rogue right now.

2M3rxqO.jpg

Ashodin

You don't even need to be 98. I'm not sure what the level is but you can get it far earlier if the area where those buffs are is in the proper phase. I've got it on my 75 Rogue right now.

Did you group with someone in the phase to get the buff? I have a 76 priest I'd love to power level with this tech.

Top Bottom