• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

So boosted my DK to lvl 100. Now just running through Draenor for the story bits and cashing in some gold, although it can sometimes be confusing as to where I am supposed to go.

I have got pretty much all the gear from the invasion events, sans the weapons. I tried my luck at solo'ing Heart of Fear and it didn't go too well. Then I look it up and there were already people solo'ing this at lvl 90 hah.

Is frost DK gimped at the moment? Or is it the overall lack of utility (lots of self heal and defense seems to be gone from the class or shifted over to blood/unholy) due to the spell pruning?

Nere

That depends on criteria, I suppose. In terms of actual landmass, Northrend is still the biggest expansion and it's unlikely any future expansion will take that crown. Legion does look to have a whole lot of content crammed into the Broken Isles, though, and if they deliver on their planned patch content it should end up with at least 3 distinct raid tiers as well as multiple dungeons (and quest/outdoor areas) added throughout.

Northrend is really double the size of the Broken Isles. 1 more zone would be really nice. It has the fewest zones out of all expansions so far. Only cata had also 5 but they redisgned all zones in azeroth.

Azzurri

Just a PSA if ya boost a character go run the dreanor scenario quest. It'll open the portal to ashran in Org or SW. Takes about 30min.

Landmass size is hardly relevant. Northrend has a fucklot of empty spaces.
How they use it is a better point of worry.

Northrend had a lot of great looking empty spaces, made it feel vast from the ground without feeling barren like tbc.

Should be the model to follow.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

You're certainly right, and they have definitely been making zones denser when it comes to how much relevant stuff is crammed into them. The worry then becomes them being too dense, which makes the zones feel less like actual parts of a world and just quest theme-parks.

JORMBO

Darkness no more

Empty space doesn't have to be a bad thing. It can add to the atmopshere of the zone. Deserts, snow zones, etc work nicely with open space.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
omg.. soloing in invasions during off hours is insane.. 15+ minute stage 3's that give me almost 3/4 of a level themselves..

Shahadan

Northrend had a lot of great looking empty spaces, made it feel vast from the ground without feeling barren like tbc.

Should be the model to follow.

I don't see why you can't make stuff seem vast without having useless empty space good for nothing.

And half of dragonblight, the tundra, and the peaks are basically empty. It kinda works with the theme of a northern arctic continent, but it's definitely not the model to follow, unless they come up with, I don't know, a sahara like continent at some point.

Edit: Definitely not saying every square meter should be filled with something, obviously

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I love Wrath but Dragonblight might be one of my least favorite zones in the game. I remember even liking it back in the day, but it has not aged well at all.

I don't see why you can't make stuff seem vast without having useless empty space good for nothing.

And half of dragonblight, the tundra, and the peaks are basically empty. It kinda works with the theme of a northern arctic continent, but it's definitely not the model to follow, unless they come up with, I don't know, a sahara like continent at some point.

Edit: Definitely not saying every square meter should be filled with something, obviously

I agree with the others. I don't need everything jampacked with shit to be fun. There are chunks of this game that do not have a lot in them but I think it's better for it. Northrend especially.

Zelias

Banned
I love Wrath but Dragonblight might be one of my least favorite zones in the game. I remember even liking it back in the day, but it has not aged well at all.
I was never that fond of Dragonblight in the first place, though most of Wrath's other zones still hold up for me. Except Borean. Seriously, fuck Borean Tundra.

Anoregon

But it had the Wrathgate cinematic though.

Saurfang jr going out like a bitch and Bolvar holding the line to eventually become one of the most powerful beings on Azeroth

Classic alliance favoritism ^ ^

Hey all! Thinking about starting back up and I was wondering if anyone could provide me some pointers on getting good at making gold (I was never any good at it). I'll be rolling a new toon from scratch. Thanks!

See that last part about Mythic + dungeons not having any kind of real lockout is what scares me. I raid in a semi-casual guild and the problem we've always had is that some members just don't have time to do extra things besides raid so the Valor system drove a wedge between many of our members because some of us had the time to do it and the will to do it even though we already outgeared that content for VP while several of those people didn't have the time to do so, which made the members who had the time to do so resent those that couldn't keep up and I could easily see a similar thing happening if these Mythic+ dungeons can provide raid level gear for everyone.

It just reminds me of the raiding Wrath model with 10/25 being separate lockouts, it made most people try and run both to get as much gear as possible which lead to a lot of burnout as well as hurt feelings for those who couldn't participate in the smaller raid. I'm all for the idea that the more you play the more you can progress your character in certain ways but I do worry that this will just end up causing a bigger divide between those who have a lot amount of free time to play and those who don't. I do hope that eventually they do have some kind of lockout either daily or weekly or something to that effect, otherwise I know several people in my guild are going to run those dungeons for days to get all the gear they want and will end up resenting those who haven't been able to do so.

Hey all! Thinking about starting back up and I was wondering if anyone could provide me some pointers on getting good at making gold (I was never any good at it). I'll be rolling a new toon from scratch. Thanks!

Just starting off with a new character get gathering professions and sell the ore/leather/cloth/herbs you get as you level on the auction house, even on dead servers materials almost always sell really well. Once you've got a decent amount of gold learn about your servers auction house as much as you can, keep tabs on certain items and prices they sell at (certain addons can help with this) and learn to play it. Buy low/sell high that kind of thing, its can be risky and takes time to really learn what will sell at what prices but thats the easiest way to really make money in the game besides just farming. Just be smart about it, don't put all your money into one product by buying it out you could easily get screwed over super quick doing so.

This is pre-legion however, once legion comes out the meta and the marketplace will massively change for the first few weeks.

borghe

it gives it a more realistic feel. the real world.. and the best fantasy worlds, don't have busy action every square foot. Sometimes you just have beautiful views that serve no other purpose than to be beautiful views.

it's unquestionably the big open area in Hillsbrad that allowed South Shore vs. Tarren Mill all those years ago. Having it busy would have prevented that. Same with XR and Ratchet.

M.D

Levleing tailoring just to make bags seems like a waste of time to me. They should be cheap at the auction house and they're too big anyway now that transmogs are added in a collection. There is basically nothing left to be kept in bags aside from potions.

Also boosting a monk is kinda a waste as well imo since they're the fastest class to level cause they have a daily quest for 50% more xp for an hour or so. And with invasions...but if you really don't want to do that process I understand :p

Both solid points.
I did try Elemental Shaman on the PTR and thought it was awesome, maybe I should use the boost on that and level up the Monk with invasions, there's still a chance I won't get to tank for my guild...

The only bummer about that is I don't have a level 60 Shaman to boost professions with

Ashodin

See that last part about Mythic + dungeons not having any kind of real lockout is what scares me. I raid in a semi-casual guild and the problem we've always had is that some members just don't have time to do extra things besides raid so the Valor system drove a wedge between many of our members because some of us had the time to do it and the will to do it even though we already outgeared that content for VP while several of those people didn't have the time to do so, which made the members who had the time to do so resent those that couldn't keep up and I could easily see a similar thing happening if these Mythic+ dungeons can provide raid level gear for everyone.

It just reminds me of the raiding Wrath model with 10/25 being separate lockouts, it made most people try and run both to get as much gear as possible which lead to a lot of burnout as well as hurt feelings for those who couldn't participate in the smaller raid. I'm all for the idea that the more you play the more you can progress your character in certain ways but I do worry that this will just end up causing a bigger divide between those who have a lot amount of free time to play and those who don't. I do hope that eventually they do have some kind of lockout either daily or weekly or something to that effect, otherwise I know several people in my guild are going to run those dungeons for days to get all the gear they want and will end up resenting those who haven't been able to do so.
Sounds like you need either a better guild or a better group.

Those hardcore players will always clique up and leave others behind, it happens in every guild.

MuggerMD

Banned
This thread is probably getting hit with a ton of potentially returning players so Ill be another one;

Thinking of returning, got a Mac and PC. In the past I played primarily on a PC but I thought I may try my iMac.

Any feedback on the benefits of one versus the other? I play priest and I used a handful of third party add ons in the past (can't recall any of their names)

Both my iMac and PC should run it fine from a hardware standpoint. The PC is a little beefier.

borghe

I primarily play Mac and there is zero issue. I run on a Hackintosh with a 770ti and the game tries setting me to average graphics.. but I set it to ultra and have no problems with usually 60fps. Not sure what you have in your iMac but it should be fine.

cdyhybrid

Just starting off with a new character get gathering professions and sell the ore/leather/cloth/herbs you get as you level on the auction house, even on dead servers materials almost always sell really well. Once you've got a decent amount of gold learn about your servers auction house as much as you can, keep tabs on certain items and prices they sell at (certain addons can help with this) and learn to play it. Buy low/sell high that kind of thing, its can be risky and takes time to really learn what will sell at what prices but thats the easiest way to really make money in the game besides just farming. Just be smart about it, don't put all your money into one product by buying it out you could easily get screwed over super quick doing so.

This is pre-legion however, once legion comes out the meta and the marketplace will massively change for the first few weeks.
That sounds like an issue with the personalities in your guild, not with the system.

If you're actually semi-casual a few extra ilvls aren't going to matter.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
and now in obvious to everyone but to me transmog news, you can buy past season PVP sets with gold just like you can buy tiers, you just have to find the correct vendors.

and some look damn nifty. Welp, time to look around

and now in obvious to everyone but to me transmog news, you can buy past season PVP sets with gold just like you can buy tiers, you just have to find the correct vendors.

and some look damn nifty. Welp, time to look around

All the ones I found were selling them for Marks of Honor, a pain in the arse currency to get if there ever was one.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
All the ones I found were selling them for Marks of Honor, a pain in the arse currency to get if there ever was one.

yeah I just checked the MoP one and it wasnt for gold :(

the Dalaran sets were tho

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Most of this stuff is still in the game or was never good for it. You miss the passive attack power ability? Okay...

None of the things I listed are usable for Fury PVE in Legion, which is what I play and I liked all of them, they were fun and made my favorite class that much better.

And how are any of the things I listed not good for the game?

Sarek

I was never that fond of Dragonblight in the first place, though most of Wrath's other zones still hold up for me. Except Borean. Seriously, fuck Borean Tundra.

I guess I'm one of the few who actually liked BT. The whole tundra theme was very unique, and I also liked the color scheme the zone had. Its still one of the best looking zones in the game in my opinion. In addition as Horde it was the first zone I saw in WotLK, and the zone did a great job making you feel like you had arrived in the cold and hostile northern end of Azeroth.

Rhaknar

theres no heroic tier 10 Mage belt (well, look alike). there is a normal version belt, but no heroic with the darker red. Fuck :(

Einchy

I believe it's how long it will take you to take a fully powered artifact weapon.
theres no heroic tier 10 Mage belt (well, look alike). there is a normal version belt, but no heroic with the darker red. Fuck :(

They did the same shit with the tier 10 Pally set, which is one of my most used transmogs. And it's not like the model doesn't exist, they just never bothered making it drop from a boss.

cdyhybrid

Number of weeks you will fully upgrade only your main artifact vs main artifact + off-spec

Unless i'm reading this wrong, if so i have no idea lol

Basically. It's pointing out that dumping all your AP into one Artifact isn't really going to get you a significant advantage over someone who isn't.

Milennia

Basically. It's pointing out that dumping all your AP into one Artifact isn't really going to get you a significant advantage over someone who isn't.

depends on spec and traits obviously, if someone is sitting at 24 on a dps artifact and you are sitting on 18 for tank and 1 major on dps you are going to get dunked

you just manage it in an intelligent manner, it varies from all specs and classes how much is worth putting into say a tank spec to not completely gimp your dps spec

not really a general statement that can be made for everyone

its pretty difficult to do it well but i really would not worry about it to an insane degree if you arent in a super hardcore group, even casual to semi casual players get artifact knowledge over time

Random question: In Tanaan when you talk to the NPC that let's you choose which garrison ability to use while there, is the third option listed as "The Mechashredder" or "Summon Mechashredder 5000?"

Sarek

The invasion XP is still extremely good. Just went from low 58 to almost 60 in 15 minutes, and that was without any rested XP. Just need to run as far away from others as possible to make sure you get full xp from all your kills.

cdyhybrid

depends on spec and traits obviously, if someone is sitting at 24 on a dps artifact and you are sitting on 18 for tank and 1 major on dps you are going to get dunked

you just manage it in an intelligent manner, it varies from all specs and classes how much is worth putting into say a tank spec to not completely gimp your dps spec

not really a general statement that can be made for everyone

its pretty difficult to do it well but i really would not worry about it to an insane degree if you arent in a super hardcore group, even casual to semi casual players get artifact knowledge over time

Well yeah, if you're putting more points in a tank Artifact of course you're gonna get smoked by someone who puts more in their DPS Artifact. I meant that it's showing that you can keep a second one moving along while still keeping pace with your main spec one.

As you said though, depends on the spec/weapon as well at times. Pushing for the gold trait that's one away is obviously going to be a bigger boost to your overall effectiveness than 3-5 offspec traits.

Einchy

Sadly there won't be another version of the movie, even though it seems Duncan wants to do one.

3kh9Wec.png

Top Bottom