• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
All it takes is that first questline then running to the item, other than that the PVP one is really your only other option outside of dungeons/raids.

Yeah that one.

dont even need no questline, just ride in there from Talador, thats what I did on my lock/mage/shaman

Anyone happen to have a 7 day trial code? I buy all my Blizzard games digitally so I don't have any of the free codes that come with them unfortunately and I wanted to check my original WoW account tied to the same B.NET account to see what I have on those characters before I pay $25 to transfer them to my now main WoW account on the same B.NET one.

I don't think they really make those. All returning player trial stuff is tied to your specific account. You could politely ask for a day or two of gametime and they'd probably give it to you though.

Also, Elixirs of the Rapid Mind have gone up to ~15k on my server. I had 14 packed away, lol - if they all sold at that price it's 200kish.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
100 Hunter get.

Now my non 100's are easier to describe than my 100's.

85 Druid
80 Shaman
68 Rogue
17 Lock

Shahadan

So apparently Yrel was originally Maraad's dead wife in our timeline and in WoD their roles were reversed?

Wtf they cut a fucklot of things. Wonder what happened.

I understand his dying words and sacrifice better then.

Gotta log off and head to work, invasions have been great for leveling a toon from 1 to 100 in a short amount of time but I think I'm sorta done with them. Messy but fun, I just don't want to burn out on them grinding any other toons up, even though having a Shaman would be nice.

Gonna spend the rest of my shards on Felbat Pups to bank for later aince don't need anything else from the vendors. Just going to quest through Draenor, level my Monks professions for Legion and upgrade his garrison to a point. Inscription is pretty easy to level in WoD and has some great catch-up mechanics so it'll be worthwhile to upgrade the garrison herb garden and inscription hut.

Have fun grinding up all of your alts in the invasions you nutbars.

So apparently Yrel was originally Maraad's dead wife in our timeline and in WoD their roles were reversed?

I think Legion happened mid-way through WoD's development and they had to make a dramatic course change with the plot and villains. That's why the Iron Horde gets shoved out of the way so quickly and before you're even done the first zone Gul'Dan and the Shadow Council start to become the main antagonists.

Lomax

Anyone happen to have a 7 day trial code? I buy all my Blizzard games digitally so I don't have any of the free codes that come with them unfortunately and I wanted to check my original WoW account tied to the same B.NET account to see what I have on those characters before I pay $25 to transfer them to my now main WoW account on the same B.NET one.

You don't need game time to log in and look at your characters, you just can't play any of them above level 20.

Ashodin

Wow that totally changes his sacrifice then.

Shahadan

I think Legion happened mid-way through WoD's development and they had to make a dramatic course change with the plot and villains. That's why the Iron Horde gets shoved out of the way so quickly and before you're even done the first zone Gul'Dan and the Shadow Council start to become the main antagonists.

Not sure about that, all indicate Legion was planned for a long time and WoD was always supposed to be the link. If I remember correctly they even said super early that Grom was supposed to be the final boss and backpedaled cause people whined they didn't want to fight another orc.

Looks rather like bad team management, which Blizzard is famous for, as they've said multiple times they had to bring new people to the WoW team during WoD and probably wasted a lot of time training them.

can anyone help me out sometime tonight?

I'm doing invasions right now, but later I need some people to sign a guild charter for me on stormreaver server. I don't need you to stay obviously, I just need signatures. I can fly to valley of trials or wherever to have you sign for me

i need 3 sigs

Frostburn

You don't need game time to log in and look at your characters, you just can't play any of them above level 20.

By look I mean see their inventories, bank, transmog items, etc. I can see their current "looks" already and yeah they are all above lvl 20.

Mowgli

Banned
Hello WOWgaf I was wondering if any of you could suggest an easy way for a new player to get Gold to pay for their sub for the game. I have seen that if you pay for your first month usually you can subsidize the rest of your months with tokens and not really have to pay. Any and all help would be great.

Xeteh

can anyone help me out sometime tonight?

I'm doing invasions right now, but later I need some people to sign a guild charter for me on stormreaver server. I don't need you to stay obviously, I just need signatures. I can fly to valley of trials or wherever to have you sign for me

i need 3 sigs

If I'm around I can help.

Mage teleport should suffice if you've got draenor flying.

Fair enough.

Strimei

It was part of a large amount of what was cut/changed in WoD.

Originally, Shadowmoon Valley had a different plotline overall, though we don't know most of it. The reason we know this is because back in early alpha dataminers were able to find the overview maps of pretty much every zone (even those that were just basically grey untextured blobs) and Shadowmoon Valley had a different layout. Memory serves, most of the places that are draenei towns on live were actually either destroyed by the Iron Horde or Iron Horde camps (for example, the town, whose name escapes me, that is to the northwest of Karabor, was a massive Iron Horde habor/landing spot). There was also a charred scar of sorts through the zone to the front of Karabor.

The fight at Karabor was roughly cut in half. Maraad would have gotten injured at some point in SMV (memory serves, this is still referenced in live questing, though its not said from what). There was a Gilnean presence in the zone as well, complete with Tess Greymane herself there. They were looking for reagents to help with the Worgen curse which was apparently not quite as controlled by the ritual (done in worgen starting zone) as previously thought, and seemed to be a way to explain why the Worgen had been pretty much non-existent, story-wise. The worgen were also involved in the search for Yrel's sister, and Yrel didn't quite trust them.

Yrel and Maraad's story continued in Gorgrond, which was also massively changed, and unfortunately remained gutted (its one of the reasons why Gorgrond has such a slapped together "story" and why it has so many bonus areas). Originally, Alliance-side (not quite sure for Horde), you were basically traveling around the zone in a caravan sorta thing with Maraad, Yrel, those two dwarves, and a Rangari or two. Somewhere along the way, Yrel would be kidnapped, driving Maraad to rage. We would rescue her, and if memory serves Maraad seems to hint at...something, having happened, but I don't believe its ever said what (this was extremely early in the alpha and at the time people were still theorizing that Yrel may've been Garona's mother or something to that effect, due to Garona's relationship to Maraad. So...yeah...).

Horde-side, what I do know happens in Gorgrond is Doomhammer is more involved (I'm not sure if he's even involved at all in Gorgrond, I don't have any Horde alts). From what I remember, it was meant to help set up his eventual heel-turn in Talador, but instead that's just left in the air.

Also speaking of Gorgrond, the zone was shaped quite differently, with the Iron Docks positioned on the eastern coast instead of the northern, and the Grimrail train had an actual presence in the zone, going all over the place. In the ensuing reshaping, the train was pretty much wiped away and the docks moved.

Talador had some changes but not too many, as I recall. I think the nature of the Iron Horde's supposed superweapon changed, though, which is a pity because what they ended up with was rather dumb (just another one of those cannons they had, nothing more).

Spires had a few changing things, mostly due to the final decision about whether or not garrisons could be placed in other zones. I'm not really sure if Nagrand had any changes at all.

No recollection about FFR either.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Where did you find this out?

I'd love to see a compilation of cut stuff from WoD.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
can we take a second please, and talk about the fact that when warriors leave their class order hall, they come flying crashing down to earth like its motherfucking dragonball Z or something?

Strimei

Noticing three invasions now on one continent. That's new I think.

It went to three invasions at a time last Tuesday. I imagine it'll jump to four next week.

shit I knew the train was supposed to actually be in the zone proper

Also Spires of Arak is the dopest zone in Draenor come at me bros

The Arakkoa quest chain is godlike

Yup, I was really disappointed that they changed their mind about it. The tracks went literally everywhere, it would've been so neat.

I have no complaints about Spires myself, though I wish Taylor hadn't died. Overall its my second favorite zone (SMV being my favorite).

Corsick

It went to three invasions at a time last Tuesday. I imagine it'll jump to four next week.

Yup, I was really disappointed that they changed their mind about it. The tracks went literally everywhere, it would've been so neat.

I have no complaints about Spires myself, though I wish Taylor hadn't died. Overall its my second favorite zone (SMV being my favorite).

Now the limiting factor is how long you take to do them before the last one (4th one) expires I'd think.

Strimei

The reason we know this is because back in early alpha dataminers were able to find the overview maps of pretty much every zone (even those that were just basically grey untextured blobs) and Shadowmoon Valley had a different layout. Memory serves, most of the places that are draenei towns on live were actually either destroyed by the Iron Horde or Iron Horde camps (for example, the town, whose name escapes me, that is to the northwest of Karabor, was a massive Iron Horde habor/landing spot). There was also a charred scar of sorts through the zone to the front of Karabor.

Found the map:

405690.jpg

As you can see, alpha-Shadowmoon Valley is positively devoid of Draenei towns. Only places that really count are the rise that would become Socrethar's Rise and I guess you could count the observatory.

Tacitus_

It's sorta interesting how little you actually fight against the Iron Horde, at least on the Horde side. You generally spend the zone going against the local wildlife / faction, maybe ~10 quests vs the Iron Horde and then do a scenario vs the Iron Horde at the end.

Ashodin

It's sorta interesting how little you actually fight against the Iron Horde, at least on the Horde side. You generally spend the zone going against the local wildlife / faction, maybe ~10 quests vs the Iron Horde and then do a scenario vs the Iron Horde at the end.

Yep, definitely felt very cut. They likely stopped working on WoD after launch and let the other teams go into autopilot

I mean it's all the better now because we have tons of shit coming and they've settled into something better with this new setup they've got

(and world quests will be much better and easier to implement)

Strimei

Huh, that's kinda surprising, the Iron Horde is pretty involved in SMV, though I guess that also depends on if you count Ner'zhul and his clan a part of it (since they want to actually join and all).

Blizzard was dumb with the development of WoD and somehow didn't think that people would get tired of orcs before it was too late. They admitted this, even, in the devblog about Nagrand, and so that's partly why some of the massive changes happened, trying to diversify things. Points for trying at least, but one would think they'd have thought about "what if people are tired of fighting orcs?" when planning a whole expansion involving ORCS!

At the least, they're aware of this "_____ fatigue" idea now, its one of the reasons why they're making Legion so diverse, and partly why, they said, they decided to drop Thal'dranath for patch content, as it'd just be Legion-infested Night Elven areas, and we've got a few of those already on the mainland Broken Isles.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The amount of shit that was planned for WoD and then cut is insane.

WoD was a disaster from day -0, I wonder what the hell was going on for things to turn out the way they did.

Tacitus_

Yep, definitely felt very cut. They likely stopped working on WoD after launch and let the other teams go into autopilot

I mean it's all the better now because we have tons of shit coming and they've settled into something better with this new setup they've got

(and world quests will be much better and easier to implement)

My personal theory is that they went "hang on, too much orcs" and over corrected. Like they're now doing with the patch zone in Legion.

Strimei

My personal theory is that they went "hang on, too much orcs" and over corrected. Like they're now doing with the patch zone in Legion.

As I said above, that is actually exactly what happened, by their own admission.

Legion has some safeguards built in though, thank god, due to the diversity of the area already.

Tacitus_

As I said above, that is actually exactly what happened, by their own admission.

Legion has some safeguards built in though, thank god, due to the diversity of the area already.

Hunh, seemed too neat to come up with myself.

What I like about Legion is that the zones tie pretty neatly to you know, the Legion. They are either directly in the zone, they've got some minions in the zone (such as satyrs) or the guys we are fighting want to join the Legion.

SolVanderlyn

I actually really like WoD conceptually, best expansion since Northrend idea wise. But the cut stuff easily makes it the worst expansion. Garrisons locked to one zone, no faction capitals, can't go inside Shattrath, obviously gutted (not even changed) storylines, wonky plot, major lore characters go out like wet farts (Doomhammer), it was obviously planned to let you fly from the beginning and then changed, Tanaan Jungle not at launch and Farahlon just forgotten, Orcs Orcs Orcs Orcs Orcs, Iron Horde gets changed because too many Orcs and now we have GREEN ORCS AND ARCHIMONDE AGAIN!

Zones are amazingly beautiful and the framework for the story, as well as lore cameos, is fantastic. The leveling experience was great, too - choosing different buildings and getting different questlines based on the buildings, great storylines (even if changed), bonus scenarios, it was all fun stuff. It's obvious that the yearly expansion philosophy drained them way too hard.

Apathy

was at 80 yesterday and now just need one more set of 3 invasions to get my shaman to 100. Crazy, althought I think it would have been faster to do the bonus objectives with the potions

Shahadan

Where did you find this out?

I'd love to see a compilation of cut stuff from WoD.

From various dataminers talking about alpha stuff. Long story short Maraad was losing his way cause of what happened to Yrel in the main universe VS on draenor, wanting to use the Light for revenge and stuff, frightening Yrel and thaelin.
Maraad is still seen as rather angry on Live btw, though nothing is made of it.

Otherwise yeah, stuff that was cut:
- Gorgond had the train tracks all over the place, which would have made for a great unique zone. The grimrail dungeon makes no sense on live :lol:

-Tess Greymane (Genn's daughter) was supposed to search for a cure with some worgens in SMV but that was cut and she was replaced by Fiona. Ironically Blizzard said at the time they thought worgens would distract from the draenei story. Lol.

-Early tanaan jungle map was really different and supposed to be at launch. Still looked boring though.
-Zangar Sea was supposed to be a small zone. Draenei were supposed to discover shamanism there iirc in the original lore

-we were supposed to be able to choose a zone for our garrison. Talador's alliance garrison looked cool. I'm still not sure how that was supposed to work. Maybe the Legion scaling system was supposed to be used on Draenor but not finished in time? Or just mobile garrison :lol:

-There was artwork of a fungus infected whale raid boss
-I seem to recall artworks of giant dragonflies supposed to be mounts? Not sure.

Strimei

Hunh, seemed too neat to come up with myself.

What I like about Legion is that the zones tie pretty neatly to you know, the Legion. They are either directly in the zone, they've got some minions in the zone (such as satyrs) or the guys we are fighting want to join the Legion.

I'm honestly just happy we're no longer fighting orcs and the primary aesthetic is no longer crude iron bolted onto crap.

After that long Siege and then WoD, I was getting mighty tired of that. Yeah, the Legion also uses dark metals but its still different and we're also bringing in the vrykul, Night Elves and all too, thank god.

Tacitus_

I'm honestly just happy we're no longer fighting orcs and the primary aesthetic is no longer crude iron bolted onto crap.

After that long Siege and then WoD, I was getting mighty tired of that. Yeah, the Legion also uses dark metals but its still different and we're also bringing in the vrykul, Night Elves and all too, thank god.

Now it's all dark red and black or green and black.

Strimei

Now it's all dark red and black or green and black.

Its different enough, I'll take it, heh. Plus there are some Night Elven themes (the armor sets, cloth-wise at least, look pretty sweet). And I can't wait for Suramar.

Unrelated, but I finally went and bought a carry for Heroic Archimonde to get the mount. Amazing how fast we brought him down, but I guess it makes sense at this stage of the game. Didn't win anything though, sadly.

May plunk down some more gold next week for another try, I want the cloth shoulders off of him. Lord knows I don't spend gold on anything else, might as well.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Stuff changing is fine. Shadowmoon Valley in its current iteration is easily the best zone in the game for me. It really feels like a homeland for draenei, and its probably the best mix of open and closed space in the game, where you get these really immense fields that run up against these dense forests. It's really unfortunate that Karabor did not get to be fully fleshed out, because the amount of detail surrounding it is just incredible, and beyond the stuff I've seen in Legion even.

Gorgrond is obviously a different story where stuff just does not come together. When you compare it to the narrative delivery in the other Draenor zones it's really a headscratcher. There's really nothing to tie players to the zone.

Sölf

I opened 126 chests today, 63 of each type. I got a single 720 item out of that. At least all other slots were 710. But still. :(

Tecnniqe

Banned
Whats the % on 710 and % on 720?

Also can you get rings/trinkets in 700 from the boxes?

So far I've only been able to purchase them but they are unique equip it seems.

SolVanderlyn

Zangarmarsh, Sholazar Basin, and Spires of Arak are my favorite zones visually by far. I have a soft spot for all kinds of Elven zones, though, so I'm HYPED for Suramar.

Nere

Based on what we have seen or if you have played the beta like I did, your feelings and prediction where do you think Legion will fall when ranking the expansions, after it is over not only at launch? I think blizzard got their shit together and will deliver a really good expansion, not as good as tbc and wrath but better than the rest. What do you think?

Sölf

Dread Wastes. Or generally everything that is dark and undead and menacing. I like those. Ghostland was probably my favorite zone aestetic wise for a long time.

SolVanderlyn

Based on what we have seen or if you have played the beta like I did, your feelings and prediction where do you think Legion will fall when ranking the expansions, after it is over not only at launch? I think blizzard got their shit together and will deliver a really good expansion, not as good as tbc and wrath but better than the rest. What do you think?
Almost certainly the best modern WoW is going to be. Whether it lives up to BC/Wrath remains to be seen.

WoD is such a mixed bag for me. I definitely played it the least of any expansion. I basically leveled up, did LFR Highmaul a few times and quit. At the same time I definitely appreciate the advances Blizzard made in zone design and storytelling.

By the way, finding rare pets in Pandaria is really cool! I haven't actually found any yet, but tracking them and sending out flares is a neat idea. Pandaria is so beautiful...

Nere

Almost certainly the best modern WoW is going to be. Whether it lives up to BC/Wrath remains to be seen.

WoD is such a mixed bag for me. I definitely played it the least of any expansion. I basically leveled up, did LFR Highmaul a few times and quit. At the same time I definitely appreciate the advances Blizzard made in zone design and storytelling.

By the way, finding rare pets in Pandaria is really cool! I haven't actually found any yet, but tracking them and sending out flares is a neat idea. Pandaria is so beautiful...

Yeah as many flaws as WoD has it is the only expansion in which I like all the zones. Legion is the 2nd aswell, Legion's zones are really good albeit few.

SolVanderlyn

Grizzly Hills was just Canada with Dwarves. Nothing special about it

Top Bottom