• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

Nere

I've been having fun lately just looking for Illusions tomes. Already had those that enchanters can create, but wasn't aware that there was even more outside of those sold by the trainer. Some sold by vendors, some given as quests, some dropping in raids. Quite a surprise!

Now if only Neltharion could drop Power Torrent, that would be nice. Thankfully his raid is not as long & annoying to do as Dragon Soul.

Wait what? Who is Neltharion if not Deathwing in Dragon Soul?

Jag

I've been having fun lately just looking for Illusions tomes. Already had those that enchanters can create, but wasn't aware that there was even more outside of those sold by the trainer. Some sold by vendors, some given as quests, some dropping in raids. Quite a surprise!

Now if only Neltharion could drop Power Torrent, that would be nice. Thankfully his raid is not as long & annoying to do as Dragon Soul.

Farmed some illusions as well. Can't get Power Torrent to drop either. Been trying on many characters every reset. Got Illusion Razorice off LK, but I think it's DK only.

I'm not going to bother with the WoD raid boss illusion because I can't go back into those raids again.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Farmed some illusions as well. Can't get Power Torrent to drop either. Been trying on many characters every reset. Got Illusion Razorice off LK, but I think it's DK only.

I'm not going to bother with the WoD raid boss illusion because I can't go back into those raids again.

Me neither. Although I'll probably do them in a few years when they'll be as easy to solo as Cataclysm raids right now, guess that will have to wait for the next expansion after Legion.

I'm assuming that with Legion, it's going to be the turn for Pandaria raids to turn into joke for (almost) everybody. :p

Man I really miss Demonic Circle.

Warlocks are no fun anymore.

But sir might I direct your attention to our incredibly well designed and thought out tier 5 talents? There you can find the amazing Demonic Circle along with two other abilities we used to be able to have at the same time. Praise be to Blizzard! Amen.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Man I really miss Demonic Circle.

Warlocks are no fun anymore.

Nonsense! We have the three most fun specs in the game! You can choose between the dynamic excitement of spamming a maintenance buff as demo, the compelling strategy of waiting for RNG to give you soul shards to actually do damage as aff, or speccing destro for even more RNG fun!

Why play a boring old mage where you can actually do damage with reasonable mechanics? pfft.

Chris R

Doing the 98 intro quest for the next expansion on my mage sucked lol

The Duel outside Org took me three tries to complete until I just picked the mage to duel instead of the first person I clicked on. The instances didn't go much better with my terrible items (MoP quest greens and blues)

But now that I'm 100, I got the gear from the vendor and some drops from the invasion chests. Just need to do a few more to get 700 across the board. Bummer no staffs drop, using a wand as my main weapon now for some dumb reason :(

But sir might I direct your attention to our incredibly well designed and thought out tier 5 talents? There you can find the amazing Demonic Circle along with two other abilities we used to be able to have at the same time. Praise be to Blizzard! Amen.

Haha, yeah, if only Dark Pact was not too good to ever not take.

Nonsense! We have the three most fun specs in the game! You can choose between the dynamic excitement of spamming a maintenance buff as demo, the compelling strategy of waiting for RNG to give you soul shards to actually do damage as aff, or speccing destro for even more RNG fun!

Why play a boring old mage where you can actually do damage with reasonable mechanics? pfft.

Never been a demo man, but I just find it hard to believe that we've gone from mop afflic/destro to... this.

On the other hand I did a bg on my ret and actually had fun, I think it's the first time I've had fun on my ret since Cata ended.

Bisnic

Are you saying all these black dragons look the same to you?

2db.jpg

Hixx

How do you reset the phase? Just log out when its almost done?

If you log out at any point in the invasion and log back in it will completely reset. You will not get the Stage Completion XP (for example if you logout during Stage 3, Stage 1 and 2 will not give you completion XP until the 1.5hr resets) but killing bosses and mobs still rewards full XP.

Zelias

Banned
Sölf;214562448 said:
You don't need the bow. It's ugly as hell. Seriously, it looks like a pipe. But the caster sword is pretty neat.
Kinda want it for completion's sake, though. It is super fugly though.

Rizzi

But if you play demo, you get to metamorphosis and turn in to a demon!
Wait, what do you mean that was taken away? Even though it canonically makes sense for a warlock to have it? Oh..

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Minimizes traveling. If you don't have flight yet, phase 3 is pretty inefficient.

yeah... doing stage 3 on a sub-60 sucks. at 60 it's mostly fine.

I am getting my paladin to 60 then just boosting. I can't do invasions anymore.. especially on sub-80s.

cdyhybrid

Wait, what do you mean that was taken away? Even though it canonically makes sense for a warlock to have it? Oh..
Demon Hunters have had Meta from the moment they were introduced :p

I don't want to continue on the "lets dunk on warlocks" train but I have 7 level 100s right now(3 through invasions) and as soon as I got to levelling my 90 lock I basically stopped playing. None of these specs feel good to play. Went from mage to him and I appreciate my mage so much more now

wasn't the reasoning that demo locks are masters of controlling and enslaving demons, not actually demons themselves?

I dunno...

borghe

I never found the metamorphosis mechanic that great..

but demo mechanics are currently pretty lame.. pets should last longer and demo enhance should apply to all active pets. right now the "pets" are basically buffs. I know they wanted it to feel like a pet class, but in no way does it. it basically just feels like buffs.

even worse is you're expected to buff your buffs.

I get where they were trying to go with it.. but by wanting to keep us busy at the keyboard, it just kind of turned into a mess both rotation and thematically.

Rizzi

Then maybe they shouldn't have written in warlock characters that were able to transform in to demons.
Illidan turned in to a demon by consuming the skull of Gul'dan. A warlock.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Then maybe they shouldn't have written in warlock characters that were able to transform in to demons.

and Illidan was a demon hunter. I don't remember Gul'dan ever turning into a demon in Warcraft 2

yeah but he was a demon HUNTER and you can play as them now so you can't let both do something cool.

FF11 ran into this when they gave white mages haste and stop and shit. Those are time mage abilities but someone needs em and we aren't gonna add time mages

Shahadan

Funny I remember people saying it made no sense for warlocks to get metamorphosis back then.

I think the current demonology is a step is the right direction, they should summon and use their own little army of demons, it's just no handled well imo.

Negator

If you log out at any point in the invasion and log back in it will completely reset. You will not get the Stage Completion XP (for example if you logout during Stage 3, Stage 1 and 2 will not give you completion XP until the 1.5hr resets) but killing bosses and mobs still rewards full XP.

Thabk you! Phase 3 farming sounds good on my level 85+ dudes.

Im kind of tired of Invasions at the moment, but I feel like there is nothing really worthwhile to do but level my alts.

Lanrutcon

Funny I remember people saying it made no sense for warlocks to get metamorphosis back then.

I think the current demonology is a step is the right direction, they should summon and use their own little army of demons, it's just no handled well imo.

Demonology was fine.

Warlocks got the shaft so that the edgelords could get their tattooed elves.

Current Demonology is a complete disaster.

Khezu

I tried to look at the positives of Blizz remove Meta for Lock thinking they would have really work hard to make Demo great since they were taking away something so significant.

But no, they half assed it as half assed as they could.

And then ruined Destro for no reason. Just because they could.

carlsojo

Demonology was fine.

I like the IDEA of being able to summon a ton of demons... the execution though

Destro I have no idea what they were thinking

Lanrutcon

Truth.

They'd have to take a long, hard look at Demonology to fix it, and they've had months. Now we're a week away from Legion and...I guess once we're raiding the poor fucks who invested their artifact power in Demonology will highlight exactly how bad the spec is.

And all the Shadow Priests and Fire Mages will laugh and laugh.

Tacitus_

Demonology was fine.

Nah, demonology was not fine. It was a confusing, clunky mess, though it would've been mostly fixed by just turning Metamorphosis to a cooldown instead of a stance. But they just made an even bigger mess instead.

carlsojo

Truth.

They'd have to take a long, hard look at Demonology to fix it, and they've had months. Now we're a week away from Legion and...I guess once we're raiding the poor fucks who invested their artifact power in Demonology will highlight exactly how bad the spec is.

And all the Shadow Priests and Fire Mages will laugh and laugh.

Well, I think what they would (should) do if they totally revamp a spec of any class is refund your artifact power, similar to how they refunded/reset your talent points when they've changed specs previously.

borghe

Demonology was fine.

maining demo during WOD and vanilla.. it wasn't really fine in WOD. arguably it was more a mess than it is now. The spec had very little truly defining it, the rotation was lame and a little cumbersome, and it's place on dps meters was average. Now if a spec is iconic and or rotation is fun, DPS meters can bit me.. but to not have fun playing the class AND to get benched for progression despite having great gear..

I agree that the spec is at least looking to start being headed in the right direction. the rotation is still lame and damage still sucks (not literally... but you won't be topping meters), but at least the spirit of the class is headed in the right direction. They just need to fix the abilities do it truly feels like you are commanding a horde of demons.. not refreshing 6s or 12s buffs as they fall off. and whoever decided that buffing your buffs was a good idea (demonic empowerment) needs to be put in charge of cleaning the bathrooms for a month straight.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Nah, demonology was not fine. It was a confusing, clunky mess, though it would've been mostly fixed by just turning Metamorphosis to a cooldown instead of a stance. But they just made an even bigger mess instead.

Yeah, I wasn't in love with WoD's version of Demo and was really looking forward to the new pet-focused version in Legion. I assumed they would actually make a fun, effective spec, because the idea behind it was very cool. Needless to say I am disappointed.

It really is a shame that Blizzard is so averse (or unable?) to enact significant mechanic adjustments to classes and specs in anything other than the X.0 expansion pre-patches. Demo needs some serious work if it's going to be a worthwhile spec at any point in Legion, and its core mechanic (demonic empowerment) basically needs a total rework.

Like, I can't say this enough: Demonic Empowerment is bad. It is straight up bad game design. It's a failed design choice and they need to accept this so that they can start fixing the spec.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

I always hated meta on warlocks, it never made sense to me. You summon and control demons, youre not one.

Bisnic

So if I understand this right, not a single spec of warlock is worth it right now? What about just soloing or 5 mans? Or even that will fail so bad, you'll go back to another caster?

Negator

I knew the warlock was in a bad situation but damn it looks grim in here.

I know a few warlocks in my guild that are giving up on it.

Anoregon

So if I understand this right, not a single spec of warlock is worth it right now? What about just soloing or 5 mans? Or even that will fail so bad, you'll go back to another caster?

Actually worse in 5-mans than raids due to the focus on trash/AoE, which (at least aff and demo) are terrible at.

Destro is a reasonably effective spec. It's not super fun and still has some significant issues (RNG mastery is seriously wtf and chaos bolt is way too weak) but it excels at encounters with 2+ permanent targets due to havoc and overall at least doesn't feel broken.

I knew the warlock was in a bad situation but damn it looks grim in here.

I know a few warlocks in my guild that are giving up on it.

I was the only warlock (main, at least) left among my friends. As it stands now, I'm going to be DK next week.

Affliction and destruction seem fine. I did quite a bit of soloing in the beta as both and never had any issues.

Shahadan

I agree that the spec is at least looking to start being headed in the right direction. the rotation is still lame and damage still sucks (not literally... but you won't be topping meters), but at least the spirit of the class is headed in the right direction. They just need to fix the abilities do it truly feels like you are commanding a horde of demons.. not refreshing 6s or 12s buffs as they fall off. and whoever decided that buffing your buffs was a good idea (demonic empowerment) needs to be put in charge of cleaning the bathrooms for a month straight.

Basically this.

When they first talked about new Demono I thought it would be about summoning different demons on different timers and using their synergy somehow while you buff them.
That's kinda what they did but in the worst way possible :lol:

I expected more something along the lines of "two different kinds of demons present at the same time gives this benefit or that effect, select one demon and buff it to extend its duration to capitalize on this" but that's probably farfetched.
The idea that the demons have no sort of impact onto one another is weird to me. That's not what an army is. They feel like separate trinket effects rather than a cohesive entity. Yes they all have a utility but I think ti's a shame they could basically be replaced by 5 imps of a different color and that wouldn't change much.

Anoregon

Basically this.

When they first talked about new Demono I thought it would be about summoning different demons on different timers and using their synergy somehow while you buff them.
That's kinda what they did but in the worst way possible :lol:

I expected more something along the lines of "two different kinds of demons present at the same time gives this benefit or that effect, select one demon and buff it to extend its duration to capitalize on this" but that's probably farfetched.
The idea that the demons have no sort of impact onto one another is weird to me. That's not what an army is. They feel like separate trinket effects rather than a cohesive entity. Yes they all have a utility but I think ti's a shame they could basically be replaced by 5 imps of a different colors and that wouldn't change much.

The current version of Demo is almost like intentionally the worst imaginable version of the "master summoner" theme they could have gone with. Both thematically and mechanically. "whats the coolest way to show off your mastery of demonic control? uh, imps. sure. lots of imps. and I guess some dogs too, Oh, and keep having to buff them over and over! Who cares about the dozens of bigger, cooler demons"

F-, BLIZZARD. SEE ME AFTER CLASS.

Top Bottom