• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

Rizzi

Actually worse in 5-mans than raids due to the focus on trash/AoE, which (at least aff and demo) are terrible at.

Destro is a reasonably effective spec. It's not super fun and still has some significant issues (RNG mastery is seriously wtf and chaos bolt is way too weak) but it excels at encounters with 2+ permanent targets due to havoc and overall at least doesn't feel broken.

I was the only warlock (main, at least) left among my friends. As it stands now, I'm going to be DK next week.

I'm playing my mage. It's amazing how all three specs aren't a horrible mess, and are all fun in their own ways.

The current version of Demo is almost like intentionally the worst imaginable version of the "master summoner" theme they could have gone with. Both thematically and mechanically. "whats the coolest way to show off your mastery of demonic control? uh, imps. sure. lots of imps. and I guess some dogs too, Oh, and keep having to buff them over and over! Who cares about the dozens of bigger, cooler demons"

F-, BLIZZARD. SEE ME AFTER CLASS.

I wanted demonology to be good so badly. The best artifact in the game (to me) and I love pet classes, but it's just not very fun at all.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
So if I understand this right, not a single spec of warlock is worth it right now? What about just soloing or 5 mans? Or even that will fail so bad, you'll go back to another caster?

so to go back to blizzard's recent mantra...

"no spec/class right now is TERRIBLY underpowered compared to anyone else"

Demonology pre-patch has been "fine". I mean the rotation is still janky.. but damage is there. I am still showing up on DPS meters in LFR above the afkers and baddies. I haven't tried affliction or destro.. but as I understand it demo is currently low man in DPS.

99% of wow class/spec conversations go something like this

"My spec is the fucking worst... blizzard completely fucked them up...."
played ideally the spec is like 4-7% off of the class' top spec. played normally much less than that.

still very playable.

with that being said... most (including myself) have never forgiven blizz for letting lock drop from the top spot in cata, and never getting it back there... despite specs like fire major, being at or near the top for 4 expansions now, spriest being at or near the top for 3 expansions, MM hunter, etc.

with that being said.. the rotation is pretty stupid. nothing you summon lasts for more than 6-12 seconds, thus basically being a "buff" that you have to "summon" over and over again. AND you have to buff the "buff" (aka summon).

I mean blizz has the blueprint for doing demonology right.. they CREATED the fucking blueprint. Necromancer in D2 or Witch Doctor in D3... both of those classes would fit the demo lock PERFECTLY. But blizz is too worried maybe (system performance??) of having like 2-4 characters in a raid each with like 4-6 pets out all of the time. I am guessing at least.

Lanrutcon

maining demo during WOD and vanilla.. it wasn't really fine in WOD. arguably it was more a mess than it is now. The spec had very little truly defining it, the rotation was lame and a little cumbersome, and it's place on dps meters was average. Now if a spec is iconic and or rotation is fun, DPS meters can bit me.. but to not have fun playing the class AND to get benched for progression despite having great gear..

I agree that the spec is at least looking to start being headed in the right direction. the rotation is still lame and damage still sucks (not literally... but you won't be topping meters), but at least the spirit of the class is headed in the right direction. They just need to fix the abilities do it truly feels like you are commanding a horde of demons.. not refreshing 6s or 12s buffs as they fall off. and whoever decided that buffing your buffs was a good idea (demonic empowerment) needs to be put in charge of cleaning the bathrooms for a month straight.

I mean from a functional point of view. Demonology in WoD worked from a numbers standpoint, even if it was a bit of an acquired taste.

Now? Now it's slow and shallow with shitty numbers.

It got massively gutted from Alpha and presumably they didn't have the time to make it coherent. In looks alone though it's one of my favourite zones in Draenor, behind Spires and SMV.

My favourite thing that I've found so far is the Laughing Skulls village, Broken Horn, up behind the Iron Docks and Black Rock Foundry. There's a path near the entrance to Grim Rail Depot that leads north to it. It's got named npcs, an inn you can set your hearth to, a weapon repair vendor and you just never go to it. Unless this is tied to the Laughing Skulls rep you get from a garrison trade post.

borghe

I mean from a functional point of view. Demonology in WoD worked from a numbers standpoint, even if it was a bit of an acquired taste.

Now? Now it's slow and shallow with shitty numbers.

it was ok in WOD after Highmaul.. I mean strictly middle of the pack (it did insanely well during highmaul)

but yes I agree.. its rotation and ability set is currently really messy. Thematically in a good direction, but without either numbers or abilities to back it up.

srsly blizz.. just give us like 4-6 semi-permanent pets at a given time.

Nere

Come on guys you are exaggerating big time about warlocks, especially Anoregon. I have been playing demo during the prepatch and while the spec requires some changes it isn't like you make it seem to be. I played it for both dungeons and hfc and you can top the meters with it. You can spec for aoe with darkglare and hand of doom and do pretty decent aoe. You can spec for single target with soul harvest and demonbolt and also do decent dps. Yes casting demonic empowerement all the time isn't the best thing ever and I am sure they will fix it but stop behaving like its the end of the world.

Tacitus_

Tbh even if they'd make the rotation and ramp up time not shit for demo, it would probably be still kinda shit, just due to how bad the minion AI is. Should've just gone with a big, bad felguard like it's been.

Lanrutcon

Come on guys you are exaggerating big time about warlocks, especially Anoregon. I have been playing demo during the prepatch and while the spec requires some changes it isn't like you make it seem to be. I played it for both dungeons and hfc and you can top the meters with it. You can spec for aoe with darkglare and hand of doom and do pretty decent aoe. You can spec for single target with soul harvest and demonbolt and also do decent dps. Yes casting demonic empowerement all the time isn't the best thing ever and I am sure they will fix it but stop behaving like its the end of the world.

Actually, it is. Legion invading, you know. Read the pamphlets.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
"Topping meters" is the least of my concerns when it comes to Demo. I want a spec that doesn't boil down to summoning (incredibly weak) pets that have to be propped up by a casted buff. It's not a fun core to base a spec around.

borghe

casting demonic empowerment all of the time, and pets as buffs, is really all I am complaining about.

I mean my hunter is BM and my lock is demo... I seriously don't care about recount numbers. both have a great direction thematically, that ends up being really not fun to play (i.e. not engaging or interesting)

"Topping meters" is the least of my concerns when it comes to Demo.

exactly.. if it were fun to play, I couldn't care less about numbers. like enhancement shaman... now there's a fucking awesome rotation. and the grand daddy of all DPS rotations.. spriest. "almost there.... alllmooosstt there... VOID FORM GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO:"

Nere

"Topping meters" is the least of my concerns when it comes to Demo.

The only bad thing for demo is demonic empowerement and a bit too many cast times, the idea is good its just clunky executed, it isn't as garbage as you make it seem it is.

Tacitus_

The only bad thing for demo is demonic empowerement and a bit too many cast times, the idea is good its just clunky executed, it isn't as garbage as you make it seem it is.

So the gameplay is bad, the numbers are bad.. what do you think is good?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

Demonic Empowerment is the spec, though. It's the central theme the entire spec is built around: summoning minions that have to immediately be buffed. If that core mechanic is bad, then the spec is bad.

cdyhybrid

I think the #fantasy of Demo is pretty solid now, they just have to get the gameplay up to par. Gameplay should never be passed over for #fantasy.

borghe

yes. have all pets out either semi-permanent, or I like your idea with near-permanent but with different synergies, and make demonic empowerment like a 12-18 second buff that hits all of your demons. then keep stuff like demon bolt and hand of gul'dan (minus the summon part)

Tecnniqe

Banned
=)
I've made a Horde
BuLWahr.png

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Truth.

They'd have to take a long, hard look at Demonology to fix it, and they've had months. Now we're a week away from Legion and...I guess once we're raiding the poor fucks who invested their artifact power in Demonology will highlight exactly how bad the spec is.

And all the Shadow Priests and Fire Mages will laugh and laugh.

oh no, those overrepresented shadow priests. they might actually be useful at one tier of an expansion unlike the warlocks that were better than them for every tier of every expansion.

Anoregon

oh no, those overrepresented shadow priests. they might actually be useful at one tier of an expansion unlike the warlocks that were better than them for every tier of every expansion.

I might actually spend a good amount of time with Shadow as an alt in Legion. I've been leveling one via invasions and really enjoying it.

borghe

??? spriests have been way above locks since panda. as I said above.. spriest rotation is genuinely fun. make it even more fun by picking kamikaze spriest (150% faster insanity generation. then die)

Lanrutcon

I am happy that the sPriests are getting their time to shine :) fun spec, probably the most daring talent (you know the one) that Blizzard have ever let go live.

Nere

So the gameplay is bad, the numbers are bad.. what do you think is good?

I didn't said the numbers are bad and I only said demonic empowerement gets a bit repetitive the rest of the spec is solid.

Demonic Empowerment is the spec, though. It's the central theme the entire spec is built around: summoning minions that have to immediately be buffed. If that core mechanic is bad, then the spec is bad.

They just have to play a bit with the duration of the pets and DE.

vocab

shamans and Spriests should be top dps. They scaled so poorly for who knows how long. Mages deserve to be in the bottom all expansion.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so when I hit 98 from invasions I can / should do broken shore as that also gives a buckload of xp?

Apathy

shamans and Spriests should be top dps. They have been both laughable as shit for who knows how long. Mages deserve to be in the bottom all expansion.

I doubt blizzard would ever ever ever let mages be at the bottom. Hell, having them at 2 might be too low for blizzard.

so when I hit 98 from invasions I can / should do broken shore as that also gives a buckload of xp?

You can, but it's not that much xp.

Lanrutcon

shamans and Spriests should be top dps. They have been both laughable as shit for who knows how long. Mages deserve to be in the bottom all expansion.

Hate to break it to you, but Fire Mages will be top 3. The spec is nuts, and is going to scale very well with crit.

Mages have, and will always be, Blizzard's chosen sons.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I doubt blizzard would ever ever ever let mages be at the bottom. Hell, having them at 2 might be too low for blizzard.

You can, but it's not that much xp.

hmm. I was thinking it would take me straight to 99 or something lol >_> oh well

vocab

Hate to break it to you, but Fire Mages will be top 3. The spec is nuts, and is going to scale very well with crit.

Gear dependent spec as always. Nothing has changed. All of modern blizzard philosophies have failed.

??? spriests have been way above locks since panda. as I said above.. spriest rotation is genuinely fun. make it even more fun by picking kamikaze spriest (150% faster insanity generation. then die)

They were terrible in Mop. They couldnt compete with locks in ToT with the god trinket. And in SoO affliction was pulling 1-2 million sustained dps in a bunch of fights.

Also Spriest aoe is boring. Really the only thing I hate about the spec.

Zelias

Banned
I am happy that the sPriests are getting their time to shine :) fun spec, probably the most daring talent (you know the one) that Blizzard have ever let go live.
I'm kinda amazed (in a positive way) that Surrender to Madness made it to live. Mained a Shadow Priest for a while and I'll definitely be checking it out come Legion. The Old God fantasy is also far more interesting than Shadow Orbs because shadow.

Also 4 alts to 90 through invasions. Getting close! Think I'll be glad when I stop doing invasions lol

Somnia

I'm having such a hard time deciding what to main come Legion.

I normally heal and decided to change things up in my return to WoW. Debating between Unholy DK, Marksman Hunter and Havoc Demon Hunter.

Kind of between the Hunter and Demon Hunter right now, having the most fun with them by far.

Xeteh

I'm having such a hard time deciding what to main come Legion.

I normally heal and decided to change things up in my return to WoW. Debating between Unholy DK, Marksman Hunter and Havoc Demon Hunter.

Kind of between the Hunter and Demon Hunter right now, having the most fun with them by far.

You just want to play anything with Hunter in the name.

Mitch

Banned
I am extremely pleased with sPriest right now.

The rotation and ramp up is fast paced. Big fan of the removal of shadow orbs. Going into PvP and straight up dominating everything is great as well. It's almost too easy to hit top damage and KBs.

I've mained one since Naxx in WoTLK and don't see that changing any time soon.

cdyhybrid

I am extremely pleased with sPriest right now.

The rotation and ramp up is fast paced. Big fan of the removal of shadow orbs. Going into PvP and straight up dominating everything is great as well. It's almost too easy to hit top damage and KBs.

I've mained one since Naxx in WoTLK and don't see that changing any time soon.
Their Artifact is really cool too.

Top Bottom