• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
So... when the expansion launches everyone needs to be in Dalaran and then warp it to the broken isles...

So your going to have thousands upon thousands of players standing in the same spot right as a server launches? Yeah nothing bad will happen with that at all XD

They've tested it 3 times now on the beta.

This launch will be ok.

Kuno

Go to Pandaria, drop the cata stuff. Or do invasions to level, but panda land is fun especially if you haven't done it.

100k is plenty haha.

Monks are cool, they're in a good place right now but not sought after more than other classes.

Inscription will be better in Legion due to the runes and stuff you can make for the specific content.

Leveling professions, fun stuff, mounts, etc

Thanks for the advice! Nice to know I should have plenty of cash for the time being. Monks seem interesting, but maybe I'll stick with what I know for now.

You can get either (or both) of those level 85 chars to 100 very quickly with the currently Legion invasions going on

I did try one invasion last night. Actually, hearing about the invasions is one of the things that got me interested in coming back. I died a few times (as Mage) because I'm so unfamiliar with my character.

Sölf;214733256 said:
If you just want to get really fast to the Legion content, use the current Invasions as they give really good EXP. I would recommend doing at least one invasion anyways, because they are the only thing (aside from Doomsayers and the Dark Whispers in Org/Stormwind) that will disappear in a week.

If you never quested through Pandaria and Draenor, do it. If one thing got consistently better with each expansion it's the leveling content. However, with all the reduced EXP you will outlevel the Pandaria zones. If you are interested in the lore you could do that later, but I really would recommend to quest through those zones at least once.

I'll definitely give Pandaria a try then. The setting seems cool. I have a couple of Heirloom items which should help level me a bit faster. I like how they handle these now, having them within my collection.

Your pocket gold could net you 2-3 free months of WoW

I did think about that, but then I'd be out of money! I think I'll have to feel it out and see how fast I can earn gold again. I was really playing the auction house a lot with Glyphs before I stopped playing.

With 100k gold you could have bought game time with it rather than real money I guess. (maybe not with long dormant acocunts? dunno)
Are you buying Legion? If so your best choice right now to reach 100 quickly is by doing the demon invasions on your map. You could be lvl 100 very quickly.
You might as well ignore everything else. You probably won't have the time to do it MoP+Draenor properly before Legion. But Pandaria was great ;(

I'm not sure I'm buying Legion, but I'm thinking about it. I want to get more time with the game again before I decide. But so far I'm liking it.

Sölf

I'll definitely give Pandaria a try then. The setting seems cool. I have a couple of Heirloom items which should help level me a bit faster. I like how they handle these now, having them within my collection.

Just know that even without heirlooms you will probably get 2-3 levels in the first zone nowadays, because the required EXP to level up have been nerfed (as they do after each expansion). So with heirlooms it could happen that you reach 90 (the max level in Pandaria) after 1 or 2 zones. xD

zeemumu

I did think about that, but then I'd be out of money! I think I'll have to feel it out and see how fast I can earn gold again. I was really playing the auction house a lot with Glyphs before I stopped playing.

I'm not sure I'm buying Legion, but I'm thinking about it. I want to get more time with the game again before I decide. But so far I'm liking it.

You could make that money back and likely won't need it if you've got flight training on your guys.

Kuno

Sölf;214735341 said:
Just know that even without heirlooms you will probably get 2-3 levels in the first zone nowadays, because the required EXP to level up have been nerfed (as they do after each expansion). So with heirlooms it could happen that you reach 90 (the max level in Pandaria) after 1 or 2 zones. xD

I guess that's okay... If I end up getting Legion I can get to the new stuff quickly while still seeing at least a little of the old stuff.

Another question: I see that Raids are available for matchmaking now. That was added a long time ago, but after I'd stopped playing. Are those preferred to queuing for 5-man dungeons now, or do people generally do both raids and dungeons regularly? And did they dumb down raid mechanics to account for uncoordinated randoms getting matched into them? I remember raids being super challenging.

Ashodin

I still need to go through Pandaria story-line wise. I remember reading the threads here about it from time to time and seeing that the story was at least good.

Sölf

I guess that's okay... If I end up getting Legion I can get to the new stuff quickly while still seeing at least a little of the old stuff.

Another question: I see that Raids are available for matchmaking now. That was added a long time ago, but after I'd stopped playing. Are those preferred to queuing for 5-man dungeons now, or do people generally do both raids and dungeons regularly? And did they dumb down raid mechanics to account for uncoordinated randoms getting matched into them? I remember raids being super challenging.

Yes, they dumbed down the mechanics. LFR (Looking for Raid) is extremely easy and boring. It's fine to actually see the content if you have no access to a guild, but if you want engaging gameplay, LFR is the wrong thing to do.

Raids now have 4 difficulties: LFR (random matchmaking), Normal (Scales from 10-30 players), Heroic (scales from 10-30), Mythic (fixed 20). Normal is difficulty wise comparable to WotLK 10 man normal mode, heroic probably to 25 man WotLK normal mode and Mythic is just the hardest mode.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I'm sure this type of thing gets asked all the time, but here goes...

I haven't played wow since Cataclysm. I decided to get back in last night and plopped down the $15 for a month. Suffice it to say that I'm overwhelmed. They changed the talent system so much!

1. I have an 85 Mage and an 85 Priest. Should I just drop every old quest and go to... Pandaria? Should I just get Legion and jump to 100, or are the old quests still interesting enough to play through?
  2. I have about 100k gold between all my characters. Is that basically pocket change these days? Seems like a lot to me, but I don't know what the economy is like now.
  3. I've never tried a Monk either. Are they sought after for end-game content?
  4. My Priest's Inscription profession sure seems to have changed a lot. Is it as bad as it seems now? My bank was full of charred glyphs.
  5. What should I be spending my gold on to prepare these characters for Legion?

1. Honestly Pandaria and WOD are worth playing through once. Blizz's ability to tell an interesting story through the course of an entire expansion has been getting better and better since Cata. The worst that can be said about WOD is that each zone still falls into the "storyline ends in the dungeon" category. With this being said, if you get back on this week... with all 6 invasions going on a 2 hour timer, you'll be able to do 85-100 in probably 6 hours each. With heirlooms and potions even faster. So maybe leave one character at 85 to experience pandaria and WOD.

2. 100K gold is still way legit. In real world money, you're currently looking at three tokens to hit that ($60)

3. no idea on monkk

4. inscription is unknown at this moment. My priest is a scribe also. Glyphs have been changed so that each class has like 2-3 spells cosmetically changed by glyphs and nothing more.. there are also two relics for artifacts.. most of the stuff seems like it "could" sell at the beginning of the expansion but will become less desired down the road. the one exception being the new runes. they look to be largely targeted at progression guilds, though we'll have to see how they sell once the raids unlock.

5. umm.... the quick answer is nothing. I mean maybe get full hexweave bags.. but that's only 3K per character at worst. you can get ilvl 700 just from doing invasions for 85-100 and saving your chests until level 100. the long answer is.... get your characters to ilvl 700 and find someone to run you for a moose. :p

zeemumu

I still need to go through Pandaria story-line wise. I remember reading the threads here about it from time to time and seeing that the story was at least good.

I just recently saw it from the Alliance side. It's interesting to see the different points of view and your reasons for being there.

Theramore and Southshore hit the Alliance harder than I thought they did

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The Horde came off as the bad guys throughout all of Pandaria. Stupid Garrosh. I love the Pandaren recruitment scene. Varian is all like, "welcome, friends, to the Alliance!" While Garrosh is like "Yeah whatever, go sit in the back and help the war effort or get out"

Sarek

Character creation triggers my OCD so bad. I've spent the last hour trying to decide which shade of green my orc's skin should be...

Bigcanoe

Neo Member
Hey, anyone run into nausea, headaches, eye strain playing since the updates? I have been following a thread on WoW general about it. Its got me hesitant to re-up. Apparently they reduced the camera zoom, and added more "bounce", glow, spell effects, etc. And this is giving people motion sickness and other issues. Anyone run into this? Thanks!

Apathy

Character creation triggers my OCD so bad. I've spent the last hour trying to decide which shade of green my orc's skin should be...

aside from skin and face the rest dont matter as you can change it in game. lucky for me there is only 1 good female BE face so it makes that job easier, just need to decided how light skin i make her

Sarek

Hey, anyone run into nausea, headaches, eye strain playing since the updates? I have been following a thread on WoW general about it. Its got me hesitant to re-up. Apparently they reduced the camera zoom, and added more "bounce", glow, spell effects, etc. And this is giving people motion sickness and other issues. Anyone run into this? Thanks!

Haven't had any issues and tons of games give me motion sickness.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

LFR is basically the last portion of end-game for the "single player" game, yes. Yes the mechanics have been dumbed down.. and the mechanics that are there can largely be ignored. :( As long as you don't (mostly) stand in the fire, you'll win. In WOD they tried gently nudging people out of LFR by taking tier sets out of LFR... but that seemed to backfire.. people didn't feel nudged but punished.

So in Legion, if LFR is as far as you want to go, then yes that is the end, so to speak. If however you want more of a classic wow challenge, that's where Normal raids and higher, and Mythic dungeons come in. None of those are queueable. Fortunately with the new LFG tool, you don't need a guild, but you DO still need the skill/progression you would use in a guild group. Use the group finder, apply to a group, get picked and do the content. They even changed Master Looter... it has many pissed off.. but in the case of Group Finder.. a leader can't pick master looter unless the group is 80% guildies.. so I am guessing most groups in group finder will be personal loot.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
aside from skin and face the rest dont matter as you can change it in game. lucky for me there is only 1 good female BE face so it makes that job easier, just need to decided how light skin i make her

face is the thing that matters the least tho.

#helms4life

zeemumu

The Horde came off as the bad guys throughout all of Pandaria. Stupid Garrosh. I love the Pandaren recruitment scene. Varian is all like, "welcome, friends, to the Alliance!" While Garrosh is like "Yeah whatever, go sit in the back and help the war effort or get out"

The Horde side came off as conquerers. They were very "join us or gtfo" with the Pandaren and didn't really hide the vicious nature behind the idea of peacekeeping. They were really only on Pandaria in the first place to chase the Alliance.

The Alliance were friendlier towards the natives and had the mission of saving Anduin, but the anger at Garrosh's actions led to some pretty vicious behavior. It was very "we're not monsters. The Horde are the true monsters!" while shooting unarmed horde swimming to shore to surrender.

The only absolute from that was fuck Garrosh

Panthers

The Horde side came off as conquerers. They were very "join us or gtfo" with the Pandaren and didn't really hide the vicious nature behind the idea of peacekeeping. They were really only on Pandaria in the first place to chase the Alliance.

The Alliance were friendlier towards the natives and had the mission of saving Anduin, but the anger at Garrosh's actions led to some pretty vicious behavior. It was very "we're not monsters. The Horde are the true monsters!" while shooting unarmed horde swimming to shore to surrender.

The only absolute from that was fuck Garrosh

I can imagine any Pandaren who joined the Horde to have a sudden realization what a huge mistake they made when one of the first things they have to do is kill their former leader

Kuno

Sölf;214737642 said:
Yes, they dumbed down the mechanics. LFR (Looking for Raid) is extremely easy and boring. It's fine to actually see the content if you have no access to a guild, but if you want engaging gameplay, LFR is the wrong thing to do.

Raids now have 4 difficulties: LFR (random matchmaking), Normal (Scales from 10-30 players), Heroic (scales from 10-30), Mythic (fixed 20). Normal is difficulty wise comparable to WotLK 10 man normal mode, heroic probably to 25 man WotLK normal mode and Mythic is just the hardest mode.

That's pretty different than what I remember, especially having three difficulties. Guess I'll have to try them and see. But first I need to relearn how to actually play my characters again :|

1. Honestly Pandaria and WOD are worth playing through once. Blizz's ability to tell an interesting story through the course of an entire expansion has been getting better and better since Cata. The worst that can be said about WOD is that each zone still falls into the "storyline ends in the dungeon" category. With this being said, if you get back on this week... with all 6 invasions going on a 2 hour timer, you'll be able to do 85-100 in probably 6 hours each. With heirlooms and potions even faster. So maybe leave one character at 85 to experience pandaria and WOD.

2. 100K gold is still way legit. In real world money, you're currently looking at three tokens to hit that ($60)

3. no idea on monkk

4. inscription is unknown at this moment. My priest is a scribe also. Glyphs have been changed so that each class has like 2-3 spells cosmetically changed by glyphs and nothing more.. there are also two relics for artifacts.. most of the stuff seems like it "could" sell at the beginning of the expansion but will become less desired down the road. the one exception being the new runes. they look to be largely targeted at progression guilds, though we'll have to see how they sell once the raids unlock.

5. umm.... the quick answer is nothing. I mean maybe get full hexweave bags.. but that's only 3K per character at worst. you can get ilvl 700 just from doing invasions for 85-100 and saving your chests until level 100. the long answer is.... get your characters to ilvl 700 and find someone to run you for a moose. :p

Leaving one character at 85 to experience Pandaria and WoD, and leveling one to 100 this week with Invasions seems like a pretty good idea.

I hope Inscription becomes useful because I really don't wanna level another profession :p

LFR is basically the last portion of end-game for the "single player" game, yes. Yes the mechanics have been dumbed down.. and the mechanics that are there can largely be ignored. :( As long as you don't (mostly) stand in the fire, you'll win. In WOD they tried gently nudging people out of LFR by taking tier sets out of LFR... but that seemed to backfire.. people didn't feel nudged but punished.

So in Legion, if LFR is as far as you want to go, then yes that is the end, so to speak. If however you want more of a classic wow challenge, that's where Normal raids and higher, and Mythic dungeons come in. None of those are queueable. Fortunately with the new LFG tool, you don't need a guild, but you DO still need the skill/progression you would use in a guild group. Use the group finder, apply to a group, get picked and do the content. They even changed Master Looter... it has many pissed off.. but in the case of Group Finder.. a leader can't pick master looter unless the group is 80% guildies.. so I am guessing most groups in group finder will be personal loot.

For me, LFR seems appealing because I wasn't able to experience many raids towards the end of my time with the game. I was in a raiding guild in Vanilla WoW and completed Molten Core when the cap was level 60. Still have my Azuresong Mageblade from back then. I didn't raid much after Vanilla though.

Is there a downside to personal loot? Does having a Master Looter guarantee better drops or something?

cdyhybrid

That's pretty different than what I remember, especially having three difficulties. Guess I'll have to try them and see. But first I need to relearn how to actually play my characters again :|

Leaving one character at 85 to experience Pandaria and WoD, and leveling one to 100 this week with Invasions seems like a pretty good idea.

I hope Inscription becomes useful because I really don't wanna level another profession :p

For me, LFR seems appealing because I wasn't able to experience many raids towards the end of my time with the game. I was in a raiding guild in Vanilla WoW and completed Molten Core when the cap was level 60. Still have my Azuresong Mageblade from back then. I didn't raid much after Vanilla though.

Is there a downside to personal loot? Does having a Master Looter guarantee better drops or something?
Personal Loot doesn't let people ninja shit for themselves or their friends.

Doukou

I thought you could change the face now in the barber shop.

Ashodin

Now this is a Legendary

QUVd9ic.gif

M.D

Does anyone have good Weakauras for Brewmasters? Preferably something that shows the amount of Stagger damage you currently have

Magnus

This guy is doing non-stop moose runs from 8:30PST well into the night for NA/Oceanic Alliance players. Took me less than 15 minutes this morning before I went to work. He doesn't charge for it, and he plans to do this every day until Legion launches.

I don't understand how this is possible. Do he and his guild just have an endless supply of alts with fresh raid IDs to bring people to? Or wait...raid IDs are a thing of the past maybe....like, can the same characters rejoin several versions of the same run in one week and have new characters join them to get the Moose?

Shahadan

Leveling professions is nothing nowadays. You can go from 1 to 700 using only Draenor materials and I think craft things from 1 as well in Legion.
Last week I did leatherworking and engineering from 1 to 650/700 in less than one hour by buying WoD materials at the auction house

cdyhybrid

I don't understand how this is possible. Do he and his guild just have an endless supply of alts with fresh raid IDs to bring people to? Or wait...raid IDs are a thing of the past maybe....like, can the same characters rejoin several versions of the same run in one week and have new characters join them to get the Moose?
Heroic and below are loot lockouts, not instance lockouts.

Lanrutcon

Leveling professions is nothing nowadays. You can go from 1 to 700 using only Draenor materials and I think craft things from 1 as well in Legion.
Last week I did leatherworking and engineering in less than one hour by buying WoD materials at the auction house

Nooo no no. Crafting professions are instant. Gathering professions are still time consuming.

Try speed leveling Mining. ha HA! You can't. There is no way.

Shahadan

Nooo no no. Crafting professions are instant. Gathering professions are still time consuming.

Try speed leveling Mining. ha HA! You can't. There is no way.

That's what I was saying yesterday. You don't really need them maxed though. I'm doing Mining on two alts this week, pandaria is full of nodes.
Best thing would be jsut doing garrison chores each day, but that's a bit late for that I guess.

Lanrutcon

That's what I was saying yesterday. You don't really need them maxed though. I'm doing Mining on two alts this week, pandaria is full of nodes.
Best thing would be jsut doing garrison chores each day, but that's a bit late for that I guess.

I think (think) that if you have 300, you're good.

Zelias

Banned
It's been weeks and still people pile all their dps onto invulnerable invasion bosses.
Yeah, you'd think people would learn that those dreadlords walking around with a very visible shield and hostile guards all around them are, in fact, shielded.

Then again, it's the WoW community.

Shahadan

Yeah, you'd think people would learn that those dreadlords walking around with a very visible shield and hostile guards all around them are, in fact, shielded.

Then again, it's the WoW community.

I keep seeing people claiming the boss is bugged :lol:

Top Bottom