• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

Tarazet

Sölf;214816602 said:
I am waiting for the "WoD was great, I wasn't forced to play 24/7" posts that will come a few weeks after release.

If nothing else, WoW has always been completely overwhelming and unreasonable in terms of the sheer amount of content there is to complete. Draenor is the first time they got that wrong, but Legion is completely on the opposite side of the spectrum. It's designed to make completionists die of sleep deprivation.

Ark

If nothing else, WoW has always been completely overwhelming and unreasonable in terms of the sheer amount of content there is to complete. Draenor is the first time they got that wrong, but Legion is completely on the opposite side of the spectrum. It's designed to make completionists die of sleep deprivation.

I really hope this is the case. I miss the sheer amount of stuff there was to do in Wrath.

Sarcasm

So, I'm thinking about coming back. I've a hunter level 71 and a 85 death knight both on the German server nethrazim...anyone here playing on that server? Should I get on another server and use the lvl 100 coupon I get with my collectors edition so I can play with EU wow gaf?

Help me wow gaf. I don't want to come back and be so lost that I insta-quit :D!

DOn't think you need to move servers unless you want to be in the guild. You can group up.

If you're grouped with someone you'll be able to see them in almost every zone, do dungeons/raids together, quests, pvp etc. The only thing you won't be able to do with people from different servers is trading items/gold, and joining the same guilds.

Also anybody play on US but in like +8 timezone-ish?

Zelias

Banned
Yeah there's always tons of old content I've never gotten around to doing. Part of me wishes for more scaling stuff though so I don't just steamroll it all the time.

Legion being the polar opposite of WoD is fine by me, since it doesn't look like they're repeating the mistakes of early Mists.

Apathy

Had to use my boost on my warlock because I could not take doing invasion grinding anymore but I did it, a full stable of level 100's

Aeana

I expect that this expansion's content is going to take me a very long time. I've never been as busy with work and family during previous expansion launches.

Ark

collecting logs for the unreal tournament...:)

The worst thing is that I never did farm any of the mounts from that place so I need to go back and do all the seals for those 11 mounts... At least I'm exalted with them on my old main though.

Robin64

Just totally in love with the notion of being able to log on and instantly find something casual to do which will have increased my power in some way by the end of the night.

The complete opposite of logging on in WoD and going "..so, guess I'll install FFXIV again."

Kuntz

Wow today feels like christmas. My guild has become empty so I decided to launch a funny message to recruit fellow old, casual, chill people who don't raid and i got 3 new members in the span of 1 hour.

This could make legion even better, playing with likeminded people.

Magnus

So how do you guys map all your various abilities to the keyboard? I'm curious.

Over the years I've hotkeyed various parts of my action bars in ways that make sense to me, but I'm realizing are actually pretty clunky, so I'm looking to try and streamline things to make me more effective in combat.

As a Shadow Priest, despite Legion pruning, there are still like 20+ things I want to have hotkeyed and ready in battle:

Vampiric Touch
Mind Blast
Mind Flay
SW: Pain
Mind Bomb
PW: Shield
Mind Sear
Shadow Mend
Void Eruption/Bolt
SW: Death
Fade
Mindbender
Dispel Magic
Purify
Mass Dispel
Dispersion
Levitate
Vampiric Embrace
Shackle Undead
Mount

I have 1-5, G, T, Q, E, and then Shift+ those keys hotkeyed for the various abilities above. I have F hotkeyed to OPIE so that I can pull up other things (like quest items and professions) pretty quickly.

What do you all do?

Shahadan

6 months ago I was excited to play Legion using the Storyline addon but since they still have not fixed it I guess I'll have toi deal with the regular quest UI then. Boo.

th3dude

So, I'm thinking about coming back. I've a hunter level 71 and a 85 death knight both on the German server nethrazim...anyone here playing on that server? Should I get on another server and use the lvl 100 coupon I get with my collectors edition so I can play with EU wow gaf?

One thing I'll say - while a bit boring, the current Legion invasions (live until Legion drops next week) are a great way to level and gear characters to 100 (700 ilvl).

Ridli

So I'm curious about how rusty I am. What kind of DPS should someone w/ invasion blues (ilvl 700-ish) be expecting?

I'm ending up with anything between 40-50k on ret pally, and my caster alts all feel terrible around 20-30k. Stuff takes forever to die. How far from baseline is this b/c I feel like I'm not doing any damage and I must be missing something pretty major.

Shahadan

Come back asap and do the invasions to get those characters to level 100 in probably less than a day. 5 days left!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
6 months ago I was excited to play Legion using the Storyline addon but since they still have not fixed it I guess I'll have toi deal with the regular quest UI then. Boo.

fixed what? because im using it right now, whats broken about it in legion?

Sölf

I bind horrible. I basically only use the number keys and Alt + number keys. Normal attacks are near one another (the DK has for example Obliterate, Frost Strike, Howling Blast and the Scythe on 2-5), near that are AoEs I don't use that often (or can spam on 5-7 or something similar) and Alt + Number are stuff like CDs or Interrupts - basically things I don't have to spam or can only use every few minutes.

Also, my Mount is on Alt + 1 or even on 1 on my DK. People laughed at me for that. But I can play like this. And it's been there since... well, basically Classic. xD

Sarcasm

What do you all do?

Like you practically.

• WS forward and back
  • AD strafing left & right
  • Q
  • E
  • 1-6
  • Shift+1-6
  • Alt+1-6
  • Mouse Up
  • Middle Click
  • Mouse Down
  • 4 side buttons

Haven't used yet, but shift+ side buttons.

I expect that this expansion's content is going to take me a very long time. I've never been as busy with work and family during previous expansion launches.
Me too.

I just got my September work schedule and after the Labour Day weekend(which I have off) I am working 6 days per week for the whole month. The aforementioned long-weekend will probably be spent at the family cottage(sans internet access, so no WoW there), assuming the weather is nice.

All this means I'll have little time for WoW -- maybe an hour a day after work if I'm lucky, and a few hours on Sundays. On the bright side, I won't blow through levelling in a week :p

lazygecko

1-4 for main attack abilities, or some for insant heals for healer specs. 5 is always an interrupt.

Q is either an offensive dispel for caster classes, or a ranged pull for melee classes like warriors or demon hunters.

Shift+Q is for targeted cc like polymorph, hex or repenteance.

E is usually for AoE cc like psychic scream and earthbind totem.

X is usually for a mobility spell, like blink or ghost wolf. Shift+X is for additional mobility/utility stuff like slowfall.

B and Shift+B for defensive cooldowns.

G is for defensive stuff that usually has a shorter cooldown, like power word shield.

Shift+G is for main offensive cooldowns/macros.

Shift+(whatever key is left of 1 on your keyboard layout like tilde or ½) is for bloodlust/heroism/time warp.

F1 and F2 are for fast and slow heals respectively. F3 for defensive dispels. F4 is for more special heals like chain heal. F5 is for resurrection.

Numpad 0 is the mount button.

I also have Shift/Ctrl+1-5 binds but I don't really have any core principles for those after all the ability pruning. Used to be that I had them for buffs and stuff.

I also use the third and fourth mouse buttons for autorun and toggle run/walk.

A lot of these have existed since TBC for me. But it was only during MoP that I got rid of the 6-9 keybinds.

Rizzi

Just totally in love with the notion of being able to log on and instantly find something casual to do which will have increased my power in some way by the end of the night.

The complete opposite of logging on in WoD and going "..so, guess I'll install FFXIV again."

Likewise.

Mupod

Over the years I've hotkeyed various parts of my action bars in ways that make sense to me, but I'm realizing are actually pretty clunky, so I'm looking to try and streamline things to make me more effective in combat.

As a Shadow Priest, despite Legion pruning, there are still like 20+ things I want to have hotkeyed and ready in battle:

I do feel like it's good to think this kind of thing through once in a while so maybe writing it out will help me come up with some better ideas.

On my DK I currently have so many empty bar slots I dunno what to do with them, even with pet controls (I've never played a pet class before). I have some finger combinations that might seem awkward but they are muscle memory for me and faster than reaching across the keyboard. For example, across all characters in all games Alt+Q is always my 'spell interrupt' and I can't change it at this point. I'm also very used to death grip being on shift-R so I didn't change it. Shift-E is whatever disease I'm using in blood/unholy.

For a while I spoiled myself in other MMOs with a Razer Naga. But that thing died in a year so I went back to a mouse that will actually last. The G400s is no MMO mouse but it has enough buttons to live with.

Tilde is voice comms. I try to keep most of my common 'rotation' abilities bound to the two mouse side buttons and shift+side buttons. Cooldowns and/or potions also go on the mouse. Things I always want to be able to hit while moving, basically. My basic Unholy set of moves for example is mouse 4 to build festering wounds, mouse 5 to burst them and generate power, shift+mouse 4 for death coil and shift+mouse 5 for death strike. On Blood I move Death Strike to shift+mouse4 because of its role in the rotation takes up the same kind of space in my head as coil does.

I bind Q, X, R and E to other common abilities, I mentally associate them with things like Charge, Taunt, Moonfire, Healing Touch etc. I kind of forget what I have them on with my various DK specs. In Blood I have strangulate and dark command on Q and E, with gorefiend's grasp on R. I put any 'final' active talent for all specs under X, like val'kyr or bonestorm.

I use 2-4 for common things as well. 1, 5, and T for slightly less common abilities. I think right now I'm only using about half of those so I have room for change.

Shift 2-4 are for self buffs. Alt 1-3 used to be my 'stance' and 'form' buttons but I guess I don't have to worry about stances/presences anymore. Right now I'm using Alt 1-3 on my DK for pet controls, with 1 and R for the abomination's extra abilities (defensive buff and hook). Mounts are alt+4 for ground mount, 5 for air mount.

Thinking about it, I should set Death and Decay to something other than 4 or come up with some kind of mouseover cast macro. It's way too important to be even slightly awkward. No idea what most people do with it.

1-5 I have my most common abilities, everything else I click with my mouse.

Used to do keybinds for other things but I just can't be arsed putting in the effort to set them up these days...

FeD.nL

What do you all do?

ED: Move forward/backward
SF: Strafe left/right

Mouse 5: spam ability
Mouse 4: slightly less spammy ability

AWRG: Important rotation abilities
QT: Slightly less important rotation abilities

(Shift+)2345: Defensive CDs and other important CD stuff

I mainly play tanks.

Zelias

Banned
More a general rule than 100% accurate on all my chars but:

1-4: Main single target rotational abilities
QERF: Additional ST abiltiies and AoE
ZXCV: Movement, dispels, utility, heals
F1: Interrupt
F2-4: Offensive cooldowns
Alt+1-4: Defensive cooldowns
Ctrl+1-4: Other stuff

Robin64

1-5 I have my most common abilities, everything else I click with my mouse.

Used to do keybinds for other things but I just can't be arsed putting in the effort to set them up these days...

This is identical to my setup. 1 to 5 for common abilities, the rest for things like targetable spells or CCs or whatever. Right hand bar for stuff like mounts, class buffs, etc. Bottom right bar for HSes, group abilities, summons, all that stuff.

Magnus

Cool posts. You guys have made me realize I have tons of other keys to play with here (F1. F2, etc., Tilde, X, etc. - do I really need a button to sit down? Haha)

Also...I just fired up Legion beta to try out the artifact line for Shadow Priest. (may as well experience the story fully now so I can just zip through easily on launch day, bleary-eyed at 3am. hahahha)

The pimp-ass Shadow Priest that assists you in the tomb has the original Mind Flay animation from like Vanilla/BC. WTB!! :(

Jag

Cool posts. You guys have made me realize I have tons of other keys to play with here (F1. F2, etc., Tilde, X, etc. - do I really need a button to sit down? Haha)

Yeah, playing since launch and I'm so lame with keybinds. I use my number keys for abilities mostly, but not much else. I'm probably half clicker/half keybind.

Middle mouse is always mount because I farm more than anything else.

Rizzi

1-6 for my most used spells, Shift+1-6 for my spells with cooldowns, F1,F2 for my mounts.
Potions,trinkets and any super important cooldown spells are on their own bar off to the side so I don't hit them by accident.

Kuno

A few keybinds people forget about but are useful:

Shift + Mouse Wheel Up
Shift + Mouse Wheel Down
Ctrl + Mouse Wheel Up
Ctrl + Mouse Wheel Down
Alt + Mouse Wheel Up
Alt + Mouse Wheel Down

lazygecko

(F1. F2, etc., Tilde, X, etc. - do I really need a button to sit down? Haha)

X was the original sit button, right? I've had that on Page Down since forever.

I was thinking recently about making more keybinds for common emotes like /hello and /laugh to Ctrl+J/K/L and similar.

Sarcasm

You can also use macros to cut keybindings.

For example you can have the macro switch if you use a modifier.

#showtooltip
/cast [mod:shift] [Ability 1];Ability 2

You can use different modifiers instead of shift, ALT or CTRL.

So example take a druid. A guardian druid has this spell that increases physical absorption (ironfur)and a spell that increases magic resist (mark of ursal).

#showtooltip
/cast [mod:shift] Ironfur;Mark of Ursal

So it will show one by default, press shift it shows the other. You can shift click spells into macros to make it easy to get the ability correct.

Slathe

I have three 85s but haven't played since cata. What are these invasions and how do they get me to 100? How long does it take? Can I do them at 85?

I've been trying to figure out what features I've missed in the past four years but it seems like so much it'd be hard to start again.

Entropia

No One Remembers
uh

TKJKgBf.png

Yeah the thing that calls the blue posts is broken and just showing how long it's been since the post.

Mupod

Also...I just fired up Legion beta to try out the artifact line for Shadow Priest. (may as well experience the story fully now so I can just zip through easily on launch day, bleary-eyed at 3am. hahahha)

The pimp-ass Shadow Priest that assists you in the tomb has the original Mind Flay animation from like Vanilla/BC. WTB!! :(

For a long time I used to have my character panel on C because why not. But it's a good button to have at the ready - I use it for Autorun now and changed my char panel to G. In the days of 'way too many fucking buttons' I'll repurpose even those buttons to something else. I think Death Coil used to be C and self-coil for healing when in undead mode was shift-C.

Z works too for occasional things.

How people can use numbers past 5 for regular actions I have no idea. Do you have basketball player hands, what the fuck. Not even going to start on clickers.

In the days where I had to tank in heroic dungeons where CC was important I used to bind my markers to the numpad, I rarely want to take my hand off my mouse but that's usually fine. / * - + for example. However I feel like it's a good idea to have a Skull mark bound to something close at hand. Maybe I'll put that on Z.

A few keybinds people forget about but are useful:

Shift + Mouse Wheel Up
Shift + Mouse Wheel Down
Ctrl + Mouse Wheel Up
Ctrl + Mouse Wheel Down
Alt + Mouse Wheel Up
Alt + Mouse Wheel Down

in the vanilla days I actually scrolled my action bars for things like super long cooldowns (retailation, battle rez) and professions. I weaned myself off that horrible practice but still do it for profs. Seems like a great idea though, I'll consider it for trinkets in Legion.

Somnia

I have three 85s but haven't played since cata. What are these invasions and how do they get me to 100? How long does it take? Can I do them at 85?

I've been trying to figure out what features I've missed in the past four years but it seems like so much it'd be hard to start again.

The Invasions show up on the Map, there are 6 going at all times right now on 2 hour timers. You can easily level up to 100 doing them at 85. Just go in and kill mobs from phase 1-2 and then relog and do phase 1-2 again. Since all 6 are going at once though you could probably just finish them to get both chests. Can't recommend what to do there.

You can quickly get to 100 though and get full ilvl 700 gear. I recommend not opening any of the chests from till level 100 though.

lazygecko

For a long time I used to have my character panel on C because why not. But it's a good button to have at the ready - I use it for Autorun now and changed my char panel to G. In the days of 'way too many fucking buttons' I'll repurpose even those buttons to something else. I think Death Coil used to be C and self-coil for healing when in undead mode was shift-C.

Z works too for occasional things.

I've rebound the character, LFG and spellbook/profession windows to J, K, L respectively. Non-ability keys like that usually get relegated to the right side of the keyboard, safely away so I won't hit any of them by accident in a tense moment.

Z has always been my pvp trinket bind.

You can also use macros to cut keybindings.

For example you can have the macro switch if you use a modifier.

You can use different modifiers instead of shift, ALT or CTRL.

So example take a druid. A guardian druid has this spell that increases physical absorption (ironfur)and a spell that increases magic resist (mark of ursal).

So it will show one by default, press shift it shows the other. You can shift click spells into macros to make it easy to get the ability correct.
Oh, that's very cool! I'll have to play around with that when I get home tonight. Thanks!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

at 85... you only have a week left.. If you have the gold.. I seriously suggest getting heirlooms.. I think that's 45% XP bonus. with full heirlooms I went from mid-80s to 100 in about 4-5 hours of /played.

unfortunately it seems a lot of players have backed off on invasions, on top of with six invasions up the number of participants is half of what it was last week per invasions.. so right now an invasion seems to take about 20-25 minutes (someone can chime in)

so at roughly a level per invasion at full heirlooms (and going after EVERY BOSS YOU CAN in stage 3) you're looking at probably 5-6 hours 85-100.

edit - and yes, don't open ANY CHESTS OR DO BROKEN SHORES QUESTS until 100. Opening chests and doing broken shores at 100 guarantees a minimum ilvl of 700. doing any of that at even 99 is 685 ilvl I believe.

ampere

I like the thread that was posted in, where they're insisting that druid didn't need changing.

Meanwhile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCRjacOkqsg

Mythic geared tanks will always be stupid OP in world pvp though

Switched my DK over to Blood last night, got 100% geared out from Invasions. I haven't tanked in an MMO since EQ1 lol have always healed or DPS'd since Kunark in EQ1.

I was going to jump into some Warlord dungeons last night to get my feet wet, but held off. Nervous about tanking for my first time lol

Just go for it. Worst thing that happens? You mess up and learn from it

Just stay humble, read guides, figure things out as you go. I've been tanking in WoW for almost a decade and there's still a bunch of stuff I could do better

Magnus

Does anyone remember the trick for disabling specific sound files? I did it once to remove the crackling fire effect for Ashes of Al'ar, and I need to do it again (now that I have a clean install), as well as for the awful twinkling sound effect for Body of Soul. I can't hear that shit every 6 seconds.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so 6 days before Legion, any must have mods you guys recomend? not big UI stuff, im happy with the GW2 UI, thinking more quality of life stuff

Robin64

I don't change my UI or use raiding/dungeon helpers or anything like that.

WoD needed Master Plan, but don't need that anymore.

I do use a mod called Hide Cleanup Bags Button which does what it says on the tin. I hit that more than once and caused chaos before.

The new transmog setup also encouraged me to install mOnArs WardrobeHelper.

Top Bottom