• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Isn't the whole deal with them surrounded by Norse mythology?

The whole deal with them always seemed Viking/Valhalla inspired and as such their class hall.

Grom Hellscream is the Orc Warrior deal. Weapons of great power is the warrior fantasy. Smashing heads is the warrior fantasy. I've never heard vikings mentioned previously in any quests related to warriors.

Robin64

The whole deal with them always seemed Viking/Valhalla inspired and as such their class hall.

It wasn't until Legion. There's been nothing else before now that connected WoW's warrior class with those things, really.

cdyhybrid

The Vrykul were kinda the original Warriors, I suppose.

The Warrior class hall is kinda like the WOW version of Skyrim's Sovngarde, which is kinda cool.

Ashodin

Grom Hellscream is the Orc Warrior deal. Weapons of great power is the warrior fantasy. Smashing heads is the warrior fantasy. I've never heard vikings mentioned previously in any quests related to warriors.

They gotta make shit up like they had to do with the artifact weapons

I'm fine with that, it fits in with the world too instead of like meh here's some training hall

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
looking at the store ads this weekend.. target and best buy will both have Legion on sale on Monday. So it looks maybe like Blizzard is doing what they did with Overwatch... will be nice for people who ordered the CE and don't want to go through the BS blizz is suggesting "buy two copies, get two copies!!!"

Entropia

No One Remembers

I think the problem is that all classes have the same class hall when they can be somewhat thematically different.

Warriors for example: Fury and Arms could probably fit together, but Protection is a whole other beast. I could see Vykrul being with Arms and Fury. But Protection? Nah, that doesn't seem Vykrul'ish to me.

Priests are another example; Disc and Holy fit well together, but Shadow not at all.

Tacitus_

Anything I should change?
Just gonna do some dungeons, no raids.

I'd get the leap talent over the thunderclap one, but that's just personal preference as I've never needed the extra range on thunderclap. And I'd rate Shockwave higher for controlling packs in dungeons.

Robin64

In the case of very mixed classes, such as priest, there are quite distinct areas of the class hall itself that represent those differences. I think it works quite nicely.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think the problem is that all classes have the same class hall when they can be somewhat thematically different.

Warriors for example: Fury and Arms could probably fit together, but Protection is a whole other beast. I could see Vykrul being with Arms and Fury. But Protection? Nah, that doesn't seem Vykrul'ish to me.

Priests are another example; Disc and Holy fit well together, but Shadow not at all.

Shadow should have been split into its own class a while ago. As opposed as some people might be to that. The fact that Warlocks got old god and sha themed sets just because they didn't want to run off the holy/disc style priests from their tier set says that to me. The whole lore perspective of Affliction Warlocks have seemed out of character to me since like Wrath. It just doesn't fit the Warlock class to me anymore based on what Blizzard shows as their idea of a warlock. It's much more akin to what they think of a shaodw priest but then all of their priest lore is usually focused on holy.

Ashodin

Shadow should have been merged into its own class a while ago. As opposed as some people might be to that. The fact that Warlocks got old god and sha themed sets just because they didn't want to run off the holy/disc style priests from their tier set says that to me.

not like you can see anything with shadowform anyway

The whole deal with them is "every race is assumed to have a standing army, so warriors make sense"

The way they get there is different though for sure. Alliance footmen are trained soldiers with swords and shields and armor

Orc grunts used big ass axes and dressed basically like barbarians.

In wc3, 1 grunt would crush 2 footmen and have health to spare. Grunts don't give a shit about Vikings

Outlaw rogues are basically pirates now. Subtlety and assassination are still classic shadowy rogue archetypes but loud pistol pirate guy is kinda at odds

All of druids are good. Mages, locks, any the like I think also have enough similar flavor in the specs that it makes sense to share.

I think hunters actually have a lot of distinction now. Marksman are more like old night elf sentinels. Beast master is like rexxar, survival is some other nerd. i don't think the style they're going fit with marksman would be hanging out with other hunters in any way

Magnus

....I dunno. I kind of LOVE that my main class has these two fundamentally opposed aspects to it, in Holy and Shadow. I love that I can draw on both to adventure throughout the world. That's kind of become the priest class fantasy to me.

I'd definitely love a holy offensive caster, though....haha.

I wish there were a way to turn Shadowform's visual effect off on command. The glyph barely does anything.

Tecnniqe

Banned

It wasn't until Legion. There's been nothing else before now that connected WoW's warrior class with those things, really.

Even since WotLK I've had the feeling they've had some sort of Viking/Valhalla thing going on. Might just be me tho. Not played them but the gear and the NPCs and such from that expansion just made me connect them to the same group.

Oh well, I think its cool.

The whole deal with them is "every race is assumed to have a standing army, so warriors make sense"

The way they get there is different though for sure. Alliance footmen are trained soldiers with swords and shields and armor

Orc grunts used big ass axes and dressed basically like barbarians.

In wc3, 1 grunt would crush 2 footmen and have health to spare. Grunts don't give a shit about Vikings

I guess so.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Just think about this

431px-Thrall-Art.jpg

ArtfactDoomhammer-Header-080515.jpg

Makes sense
300px-Fordring_Ashbringer.jpg

mograine.jpg

Ashbringer-Default-Gold-Style.jpg

Yep
Garona_Alex_Horley.jpg

300px-Anguish_and_Sorrow.jpg

Ok sure I guess

latest

I'm sorry, who?

Not this guy
gorehowl.png

or this guy
varianwhole.jpg

or even this guy?

Not to mention Frost DK artifact, Destro Warlock artifact, Balance Druid artifact

Some new lore needs to be made, obviously. And they did that with stuff like Shadow Priest's artifact, the Monk artifacts, the Survival artifact. But there's several notable warriors and weapons in WoW. In an expansion about becoming this great hero following in the footsteps of an expeptional peer of our class, past nad present, the idea that warriors are given Vyrkul weapons from some characters that we've never known and never have had any association with is a dumb pick. They are, by far, the most disappointing artifacts to me.

Except Prot's. Though it's kind of weird to associate Deathwing with a protection warrior. I wouldn't have minded his mace for an arms artifact though they'd probably doll it up.

erawsd

World quests are basically quests that pop up randomly within the world. Could be hourly, every two to three hours, daily, weekly, it's random.

They've over 1000 of these in the game that will show up from time to time, and they're aiming for them to be so random that people will rarely see the same one twice, unlike dailies.

You see them on your World Map and can go to them to complete them for extra bonuses and such.

Unfortunately, I dont think that is an accurate description. There are actually like 300-400 and you'll get plenty of repeats. It seems Blizzard tries to keep up an equal distribution in each zone, so there are probably 60 spawning per day and they are furthered divided by common, rare, epic, so some have much higher spawn frequency than others. After a week or two you've likely seen the the common ones more than a few times

Jag

Yeah, you can do anything at profession level 1. Apparently there is also a book that you can buy from vendors for 1k that lets you relearn all the recipes you lost if you take back an old profession iirc.

Research this first because I think it only applies to recipes learned in Legion.

I'm also Engi/Alch and while it will suck on my main, my alts will feed my habit once I get a steady flow of materials coming in.

Isn't the Arms artifact the sword of the first human king?

yeah, and the sword/shield was used by a vrykul king, but it's formed from a scale from deathwing before he was deathwing.

Not that warriors have a connection to neltharion really but it's at least old lore related

ampere

Wow I feel super unprepared for the expansion reading stuff here. You can start in any zone? World Quests? I don't even know what's happening.

I'm with you in just that I don't know what a "world quest" is. To me that sounds like a quest you find out in the world... AKA a normal quest. I haven't looked it up though lol

World quests are like dailies that rotate daily, so you aren't doing the same thing over and over. There's a large pool of them

Ashodin

Unfortunately, I dont think that is an accurate description. There are actually like 300-400 and you'll get plenty of repeats. It seems Blizzard tries to keep up an equal distribution in each zone, so there are probably 60 spawning per day and they are furthered divided by common, rare, epic, so some have much higher spawn frequency than others. After a week or two you've likely seen the the common ones more than a few times

Okay there's over 500 currently but they'll likely be adding more and more as time goes on. It's not going to be a static thing.

Xeteh

Research this first because I think it only applies to recipes learned in Legion.

I'm also Engi/Alch and while it will suck on my main, my alts will feed my habit once I get a steady flow of materials coming in.

Yeah, I could be totally wrong so don't take it as truth, its been a while since I looked things up.

Fjordson

Class halls as a major feature is a bit of a bummer for DKs because they already have one...I actually don't know what they're doing with Acherus in Legion other than that it's supposedly moving to Icecrown. Wouldn't that be kind of weird since it's just around the corner from old Dalaran?

As for starting zone, I'm completely blind on them. I mean...you can pick a starting zone? I'll decide when the time comes. I do think it's important to level quickly at the start so you can get ahead of the herd but I don't have as much free time as I did in my youth.
Archerus has been spruced up a bit for the class hall. It's still pretty cool imo.

But it's not in Icecrown. They parked that shit right outside Broken Isles for Legion. The whole idea of Archerus is kinda bad ass imo. Basically just a super powerful battleship lol.

The shared fantasy is that they're strong people that hit things in the name of hitting things.

They're mercenaries and grunts and warlords. Military people. It's not like a Draenei Paladin and a Human Paladin where you're talking different ideologies. Axes, swords, shields, spikes, iron, forges. Not that hard to base a hall around that.

Never once have I thought, 'man you know what would make my warrior cooler? if he was aspiring to be a race of nobody jobbers that weren't even good enough for their own raid 3 expansions ago'
Yeah, I guess this is how I feel kinda. Just felt weird seeing the Vrykul. They seem to minor up to now to warrant their role in the order hall. But maybe it'll make sense with some of the new lore.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I love the idea of Archerus as the class hall. A giant flying unholy portable death machine. If anything, I'm glad they're hopefully going to realize its potential as a flying fortress that was completely unique for a class to have when it first occurred.

My only complaint is I just wish it was much, much bigger.

Fjordson

I love the idea of Archerus as the class hall. A giant flying unholy portable death machine. If anything, I'm glad they're hopefully going to realize its potential as a flying fortress that was completely unique for a class to have when it first occurred.

My only complaint is I just wish it was much, much bigger.
Yeah exactly. The idea of the necropolis in general is cool so I'm glad they're using it.

FeD.nL

Regarding artifacts, on one hand I like the story behind the Silver Hand but on the other, why not design an epic quest that involves Uther. Like wasn't the whole thing behind his mace that there wasn't a Paladin worthy to carry it? Their mastery is called Lightbringer, they carry a book on the belt and get a 2h mace as their artifact weapon, yet Uther is completely out of the picture.

edit: And I think not using Teron Gorefiend for a DK artifact is dumb

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Gorehowl is left in Nagrand as a tomb to Garrosh

Plus it's too soon for someone to wield it, and it probably didn't really have "power" anyway

Neither did Doomhammer up til this point. Doomhammer was always a memento, a symbol rather than anything of note.

Ashodin

Neither did Doomhammer up til this point. Doomhammer was always a memento, a symbol rather than anything of note.

Probably charged up by Thrall using it all the time though around Aspects and the Maelstrom and god knows what else

Gorehowl just changed orc hands. that's it

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Regarding artifacts, on one hand I like the story behind the Silver Hand but on the other, why not design an epic quest that involves Uther. Like wasn't the whole thing behind his mace that there wasn't a Paladin worthy to carry it? Their mastery is called Lightbringer, they carry a book on the belt and get a 2h mace as their artifact weapon, yet Uther is completely out of the picture.

Uther has been dead for ages

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Probably charged up by Thrall using it all the time though around Aspects and the Maelstrom and god knows what else

Gorehowl just changed orc hands. that's it

Covered in the blood of demons, dragons, ogres, undead, etc

Probably absorbed some magic

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Data I cant tell if your bitching is legit or youre just being carny because you are a wrestling fan :3

Ashodin

Covered in the blood of demons, dragons, ogres, undead, etc

Probably absorbed some magic

Man that blood just runs off like the axe is coated in windshield fluid hahaha

But yeah perhaps. Also if it stays there in Nagrand maybe somehow Malchezaar finds it and that's how it ends up in Kara!!!!

FeD.nL

Uther has been dead for ages

Well he has been showing up as a ghost, has a grand tomb and this:

Hammer of the Lightbringer
The two-handed hammer’s shaft is polished mahogany, while the head is adamantite. A silver hand emblem rests in a bed of gold design on either side. This mighty weapon was forged when Archbishop Faol created the Knights of the Silver Hand, and the archbishop bequeathed it to the order’s first Grand Master — Uther the Lightbringer. A group of paladins recovered the hammer after Uther’s death, but none has thought himself worthy of carrying the legendary weapon.

Like it's just perfect in terms of this expansion with reforming the order by the player. Prot pally's already have a titan weapon why did Holy also have to use the exact same lore. It just feels like a cop-out tbh.

Top Bottom