• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

Zelias

Banned
Usually we stay in there and let the gaming side have their own OT full of people saying how much happier they are since they left their ex-girlfriend WoW but are still stalking their facebook posting about it.
Yeah, I'm fine with letting gaming side have their shitpost central so long as we can get on with discussing the game and chatting in this thread.

Edit: Reading through the last page... my DK has Blacksmithing/Enchanting. Odd combo I know but with the Blood of Sargeras stuff is it still viable in Legion?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
US token prices are dropping. It's at 33,888 gold now.

Also, the OT title needs to be "Demonic presence at unsafe levels"

It's funny... weren't people saying a month ago that token price would instead go up as we get closer to Legion? Seems to be doing the opposite...

Sarcasm

Crafting requires a new material called "Blood of Sargeras". It's BOP. You get it from crafting professions, rarely from world quests, fishing and there's an enchant that gives your kills a tiny chance of dropping it.

The only 2 crafting professions you can realistically run on a single character in Legion is Tailoring/Enchanting.

I think Blood of Sargeras is BOP, so you might want to do gathering and tradeskill on the same character.

So the only way to get this blood is by crafting items in the crafting profession or the gathering skill?

Sarcasm

You don't get the blood from crafting. But you can get it from running dungeons.

I am really confused as that goes against what they said. So would I be fine going JC and Enchanting? My druid is mining and herbs.

Or should just drop herbs and get JC on him. And go..tailoring or something with enchanting?

erawsd

I am really confused as that goes against what they said. So would I be fine going JC and Enchanting? My druid is mining and herbs.

Or should just drop herbs and get JC on him. And go..tailoring or something with enchanting?

The blood of sargeras comes from dungeons, world quests, gathering, and order hall missions. So you have plenty of opportunities to get them regardless of what profession set up you pick.

Lanrutcon

Legion |OT| Khadgar is a Shit Wizard

+1

What's the problem with Warlocks? Honest question. I've been considering playing mine as my main in Legion, but haven't done anything with it yet and I'm curious.

Affliction has iffy aoe, slow ramp up, no burst, no stuns, bad resource generation and for all that, doesn't exactly explode the DPS charts. But I like it :(

Primary method of BoSarg acquisition is gathering professions, but it's not your only option. I listed a bunch but forgot dungeons.

Trickster

How exactly does proffessions work in Legion?

I've heard people say just being skill level 1 is fine. But also that you should be level 100 or 300.

Robin64

How exactly does proffessions work in Legion?

I've heard people say just being skill level 1 is fine. But also that you should be level 100 or 300.

You can be skill level 1 to make things, but being higher "makes you more efficient"

You need the higher skills to make world quests appear on the map for that prof.

Trickster

You can be skill level 1 to make things, but being higher "makes you more efficient"

You need the higher skills to make world quests appear on the map for that prof.

So really I should honestly be max level in my professions to get the max out of them?

lazygecko

I think the old skill levels are tied to how many mats you need to make things now. The higher your skill, the less mats you'll need.

Dot50Cal

Banned
What's the problem with Warlocks? Honest question. I've been considering playing mine as my main in Legion, but haven't done anything with it yet and I'm curious.

All 3 specs in MoP were amazingly fun to play and rewarding. All of those playstyles have been completely changes in large mechanical ways by this point. I don't know a single warlock who didn't like what they did with all the specs in MoP, so its very disappointing to lose those playstyles even further (it began in WoD).

Off the top of my head..
-Destruction no longer has a Fire and Brimstone which lets all of your spells AOE at the cost of secondary resource.
-Your secondary resource (burning embers) has been lazily changed to soul shards which is what all the other warlock specs use.
-Green fire animations for spells have not been updated and use the old animations instead of new ones that the standard spells use.
-Rain of Fire was changed in WoD to no longer generate burning embers

In MoP, Destruction was an AoE monster, it was very fun to gather a huge mob pack and AoE them all down with self sustaining secondary resource generation via Fire and Brimstone and Rain of Fire.

I can't speak much to Demonology but:
-No longer have awesome Meta Demon form (which changed colors to green when you obtained green fire).
-Now has horrible 10 second long maintenance buff for demons which are only out temporarily for 8~10 seconds.

For Affliction, I did not play it much but in very late MoP we lost the ability to have our DoT's Snapshot (or was it WoD?) which killed a lot of the fun of that spec for me. Casting your DoT's when you had everything proccing could lead to some insane damage and you could soul swap that set of empowered DoT's around to multiple targets in multi-boss fights. It led to crazy insane DPS disparities between the best and worst players and I believe was instrumental in Blizzard deciding to remove DoT snapshots. You also used to be able to AoE pretty decently with Seed of Corruption, but its changed so it hits like a wet noodle now.

The fact that a lot of this coolness was taken away and given to another class (Demon Hunter) and they are touting this expansion as a return to "class identity" is a total slap in the face to Warlocks who already had their Class Fantasy taken away by Legion and WoD's changes.

Okay, rant over.

Mupod

Guess I'm pretty deep into WoW mode so I should finally get my old Warrior to 100. I haven't touched him since BC but he was a pretty serious alt since launch, I have about 75 days /played on him.

I dunno about these warrior changes though...I haven't tried Prot yet and I think I will tonight. I had some old argent tournament heirlooms lying around on another character so I might as well get some use out of the heirloom mass of mcgowan. What's with the 'upgrade level 1/2' on these, though? My only exposure to this leveling system was the invasion event weapon so I have no clue how I'd upgrade these heirlooms or what that would do to them.

Sarcasm

The blood of sargeras comes from dungeons, world quests, gathering, and order hall missions. So you have plenty of opportunities to get them regardless of what profession set up you pick.

+1

Affliction has iffy aoe, slow ramp up, no burst, no stuns, bad resource generation and for all that, doesn't exactly explode the DPS charts. But I like it :(

Primary method of BoSarg acquisition is gathering professions, but it's not your only option. I listed a bunch but forgot dungeons.

So is JC and Enchanting a good idea? My other 100 has mining.

Lanrutcon

Guess I'm pretty deep into WoW mode so I should finally get my old Warrior to 70. I haven't touched him since BC but he was a pretty serious alt since launch, I have about 75 days /played on him.

I dunno about these warrior changes though...I haven't tried Prot yet and I think I will tonight. I had some old argent tournament heirlooms lying around on another character so I might as well get some use out of the heirloom mass of mcgowan. What's with the 'upgrade level 1/2' on these, though? My only exposure to this leveling system was the invasion event weapon so I have no clue how I'd upgrade these heirlooms or what that would do to them.

A level 0/2 heirloom provides stats and bonuses from levels 1 to 60.
A level 1/2 heirloom is 1 to 90.
A level 2/2 heirloom is 1 to 100.

You can upgrade them with items bought for difference resources. Timewalking token, gold, Darkmoon faire tickets and Champion Seals (I think). Check in the UC if you're Horde, or in IF if you're Alliance.

So is JC and Enchanting a good idea? My other 100 has mining.

Should be fine: Your Miner can supply your JC with everything but BoSarg, which your Jewelcrafter can get from dungeons, world quests and the enchant.

Personally I gave all my characters without a gathering profession Fishing as well, just in case that turns into a great source of materials.

Kain

Legion |OT| Vol'jin got robbed

Legion |OT| Melee are legion

Legion |OT| Blizzard can't win

Legion |OT| THERE'S JUST TOO MUCH STUFF TO DO

Legion |OT| We promise this time there will be content. Promise ;)

Sarcasm

Should be fine: Your Miner can supply your JC with everything but BoSarg, which your Jewelcrafter can get from dungeons, world quests and the enchant.

Personally I gave all my characters without a gathering profession Fishing as well, just in case that turns into a great source of materials.

I don't think you get a free boost on it right? (Fishing).

I have that maxed on my horde druid.

mileS

So I have the classic General title on my horde warrior, which means I have access to the high warlord weapon mogs. Something about them is really really buggy as far as using the skins on different characters. When I first logged back on after the xmog changes I figured I wouldn't even be able to use the skins on other characters at all, but I tried anyway. Which lead to lots of testing across 12+ characters on both alliance and horde.

A few examples.
-I can use the staff on my monk and druid.
-I can't use the 1h axe on my shaman but I can use the 1hand mace? Lol what.. Shaman can use the SoO heirloom 1h axe but not the warlord version.

A few more examples that are even more strange. Went to my alliance server and noticed I can use the 2h grand marshal mog on my dk, pally and so on. But I can't use the bow on my alliance hunter.

This clearly isn't just an example of 'I can only use the high warlord weapon transmogs of the actual weapons that my warrior can use' something is really buggy here and it is one of the things that I can see Blizzard never fixing.

Aeana

Usually we stay in there and let the gaming side have their own OT full of people saying how much happier they are since they left their ex-girlfriend WoW but are still stalking their facebook posting about it.

Yeah, I'm fine with letting gaming side have their shitpost central so long as we can get on with discussing the game and chatting in this thread.

Edit: Reading through the last page... my DK has Blacksmithing/Enchanting. Odd combo I know but with the Blood of Sargeras stuff is it still viable in Legion?
In that case, why even make a new thread?

Ark

Well I managed to get my old Paladin main to 100 this morning. Only issue is he's still horde while I switched to Alliance last year. I'm going to try out prot pally before Legion just to see if I prefer it to my prot warrior.

I highly doubt it, because my prot warrior is just so damn fun, but the prot pally artifacts are sooo much better than the warrior ones.

Lanrutcon

New thread could provide a really nice OP though, filled with links to guides, answers to common questions, explanation of Khadgar memes...

Sarcasm

Well I managed to get my old Paladin main to 100 this morning. Only issue is he's still horde while I switched to Alliance last year. I'm going to try out prot pally before Legion just to see if I prefer it to my prot warrior.

I highly doubt it, because my prot warrior is just so damn fun, but the prot pally artifacts are sooo much better than the warrior ones.

Play both sides who cares. Also..you seen the warrior hall? Pretty sweet. Check out what happens when they leave? =D

New thread could provide a really nice OP though, filled with links to guides, answers to common questions, explanation of Khadgar memes...

Just update the OP.

Mupod

A level 0/2 heirloom provides stats and bonuses from levels 1 to 60.
A level 1/2 heirloom is 1 to 90.
A level 2/2 heirloom is 1 to 100.

You can upgrade them with items bought for difference resources. Timewalking token, gold, Darkmoon faire tickets and Champion Seals (I think). Check in the UC if you're Horde, or in IF if you're Alliance.

They're all from the argent tournament I think. I remember doing that a shitload on my druid when it was current. Hopefully I can still upgrade them without having to go do jousting or whatever.

Reminds me, last night I was gonna go get the last ICC achievement (blood queen) for the mount - I have one half of it done on my druid and one half on my DK but you need to do both halves on one character. I got halfway to flying there and I was like 'WAIT A MINUTE' and dug through his nightmare of an inventory for the tournament teleport tabard. Although I missed the achievement by like .5 seconds, got the bite debuff at the exact second she died, dammit. At least it'll be easy to do on Tuesday but I'll want to level then, not do old stuff.

Also on the subject of druid DPS I was flabbergasted at what happened to moonkins. I get they wanted to simplify things but I really liked the eclipse mechanic. Definitely not gonna play that in Legion.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
How are Hunters in Legion? Considering boosting my Hunter (my first character! untouched since WotLK) to 100. Haven't played them in ages.

Overall they are fine. The new Surv spec is good damage and unique playstyle. BM is very simple and some folks are unhappy about that, but I still find it fun enough. I don't play Marks but I'm pretty sure it's doing well too.

Auctopus

I've seen some posted already but could someone link a decent "Things to keep in mind when playing Legion" type of video.

Something that makes sure you don't miss out on things that you'll need endgame etc. or stuff you wont wanna go back and grind for. A levelling guide I suppose.

Jag

Heard that having a water strider mount will come handy for Legion...with 0 in fishing, am I pretty much SOL to get one in time?

Some classes have water walking abilities or swim boosts as well. You can also buy some ww potions as well. For hunters, you can tame a water strider and it will let you walk on water.

Strider mount is the best, but there are things to help.

Aeana

Rösti;215056764 said:
I intend to make the Legion OT a few hours before launch on August 30, Central European time.
I'm not against a new thread, but based on the conversation here where people intend to stay in this thread and just have "shit posts" in the OT, that doesn't sound like a thread that has any value.

With other games, we tend to migrate to a new thread when the expansion comes out rather than have a community thread for people to hide in and another one for everyone else. Clearly that hasn't been the case with this game in the past though.

Slathe

So I reactivated my account and it's super confusing going back to my cataclysm era characters.

Anyone know a good guide for returning players? I checked reddit and didn't see anything.

I know I need to hit invasions to get my 85s to 100 but not even sure how to get started with setting up talents, bars, etc...

Want to see if I can get myself into it before spending money on the expansion. A little worried the getting oriented part will be too frustrating. It's tempting to just start a new character and go from 1.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

I can't speak much to Demonology but:
-No longer have awesome Meta Demon form (which changed colors to green when you obtained green fire).
-Now has horrible 10 second long maintenance buff for demons which are only out temporarily for 8~10 seconds.

metamorphosis was not awesome :( it was arguably the worst fantasy blizz had applied to a warlock. It made no sense in any of the mythos they had created.

anywho... current demo, the fantasy is great (zoo lock), but the application is extremely lame. all of your "pets" are 6-12 second uncontrollable "DOTs" with virtually no control, really not visually impacting in the fight, AND as was said you have to buff your buffs, CONSTANTLY. Demonic Empowerment is a buff (actual buff) that you have to case after every demon summon (which you are doing every 10-14ish seconds). Talented it also procs your demon bolt.. so there are cases where you have to delay DP to use your DB proc.. which is something a lot of classes face, EXCEPT that we are basically casting DP like every 3rd to 5th time in the rotation. constantly.

and a HUGE shout out to CarbonatedFalcon for taking me (and others) through HHFC got my moose. :D

uyOgA8b.jpg

Lanrutcon

So I reactivated my account and it's super confusing going back to my cataclysm era characters.

Anyone know a good guide for returning players? I checked reddit and didn't see anything.

I know I need to hit invasions to get my 85s to 100 but not even sure how to get started with setting up talents, bars, etc...

Want to see if I can get myself into it before spending money on the expansion. A little worried the getting oriented part will be too frustrating. It's tempting to just start a new character and go from 1.

Icy Veins is your source for specs, rotations, stat priorities, etc. It'll essentially teach you how to play your spec in the new environment. It gets updated frequently.

For invasions, just find your nearest invasion zone and fly around killing (tapping) things. Focus on getting to 100 through invasions. Invasions also reward gear to help you get started in Legion.

Mupod

Well the level boost does have a brief class intro but obviously only works if you buy the expansion.

For my other characters I pretty much just jumped in and started fighting demons. Everything is really simplified and straightforward now.

I did an LFR (I know, but still) and got #2 DPS on my boosted DK, and all I did was download weakauras and import the scripts most people seem to like. It practically tells you what to press and when.

As was mentioned, icy veins will give you some suggestions for specs and rotations. But it's mainly focused on raiding. For example Warriors have a talent that gives them Call of Duty health regen and it's amazingly useful leveling in invasions, but that site doesn't recommend it as it's not useful in raids.

Rizzi

I wouldn't write off doing the MoP and WoD quests to level though, you would net yourself a decent chunk of gold and take time to get used to how your characters play now. No rush to get to 100 if you're not buying the expansion right now.

Top Bottom