• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

Entropia

No One Remembers
So I reactivated my account and it's super confusing going back to my cataclysm era characters.

Anyone know a good guide for returning players? I checked reddit and didn't see anything.

I know I need to hit invasions to get my 85s to 100 but not even sure how to get started with setting up talents, bars, etc...

Want to see if I can get myself into it before spending money on the expansion. A little worried the getting oriented part will be too frustrating. It's tempting to just start a new character and go from 1.

Talents got changed in the most recent patch, which is GOOD. The talents are all actually meaningful this time around and not garbage tiers. What class are you playing?

When you open up the window to view your specializations/talents, it'll show you the 'core abilities' so make sure the ones that are actual used abilities (not passives) are hot keyed conveniently. Read over your other abilities, see how they interact with each other and bind appropriately.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
metamorphosis was not awesome :( it was arguably the worst fantasy blizz had applied to a warlock. It made no sense in any of the mythos they had created.

anywho... current demo, the fantasy is great (zoo lock), but the application is extremely lame. all of your "pets" are 6-12 second uncontrollable "DOTs" with virtually no control, really not visually impacting in the fight, AND as was said you have to buff your buffs, CONSTANTLY. Demonic Empowerment is a buff (actual buff) that you have to case after every demon summon (which you are doing every 10-14ish seconds). Talented it also procs your demon bolt.. so there are cases where you have to delay DP to use your DB proc.. which is something a lot of classes face, EXCEPT that we are basically casting DP like every 3rd to 5th time in the rotation. constantly.

I didn't hate Meta thematically, or even it's original incarnation, but the version of Demo in WoD definitely wasn't my favorite. Still, I'd take that over the current mess any day. The core of Legion Demo is rotten, so the whole spec is in a poor state. Unless they are willing to significantly change Demonic Empowerment (and thus the base, un-empowered strength of summoned minions), the spec is gonna stay a total poorly-designed disappointment.

The fact that there is such a massive amount of agreement on the DE issue in the threads that the Blizzard CM has posted in is a good sign, at least. Even if they do decide to make relatively sweeping changes to the spec though, the timeframe is sure to be an issue. Blizzard doesn't do anything quickly.

Grief.exe

I haven't played wow essentially since Lich King, what should I do to prepare for Legion?

I've done a few legion invasions and managed to get some good gear that way.

Moonkin is a lot more fun than i expected. It's hard to justify choosing anything except druid as a main in Legion. If you put down the pros and cons on paper it's just the mathematically best class.

M.D

Are Outlaw Rogues as fun as they seem in the PTR? I want torn between boosting a Shaman or a Mage, but after trying Rogue.. I think I might boost that ;d

Only issue is, even tho I don't like short characters, I always told myself that if I played a Rogue it would be Goblins because they are so awesome.. but I'm Alliance :(

Tarazet

I haven't played wow essentially since Lich King, what should I do to prepare for Legion?

I've done a few legion invasions and managed to get some good gear that way.

Just do some reading on your spec and how to tackle Legion's leveling and artifact. Pretty much any stuff that you can get will be irrelevant day and date that Legion goes live.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I'm thinking about reviewing an MMO expansion and how that would even work and it's kinda making my head spin.

Reviewing an MMO is tough in general. You can start with the leveling experience, the zones, etc etc. but it's the on-going content that makes it hard. Example, people were pretty good with Warlords of Draenor at launch because of the questing experience. But as time went on you realized you lived in your Garrison and it had poorly paced content. You can really only do a review as a post-mortem to the expansion.

th3dude

and a HUGE shout out to CarbonatedFalcon for taking me (and others) through HHFC got my moose. :D

It was a fun run! I was the Ret Pally at the bottom of the damage meters :)

I stuck around for the full run and between drops and kind folks (CF included) trading me unwanted gear, I went up like 13 item levels to about 712 or so, and that's without upgrades.

On that note - is it worth farming Valor to upgrade these items? How long will these 710-730 raid items last me after Tuesday?

Slathe

Thanks for the tips. I've got a priest, warlock and warrior to choose from. I'll probably start on the priest but not entirely sure yet.

Magnus

That Reddit guide is great. Thanks whoever posted that. I feel a lot more prepared for how to handle certain things this week!

Also, FYI, looks like Best Buy and EB Games (in Canada) are doing an early sale for pre-orders on Monday, just like with Overwatch. Super nice for nerds like me who want their Physical CE before the game comes out to bask in the artbook/OST/Bluray before launch. :)

Ark

Play both sides who cares. Also..you seen the warrior hall? Pretty sweet. Check out what happens when they leave? =D

The Warrior class hall is amazing looking, that's true. It's just a shame that, with the exception of the Deathwing shield, the prot artifacts are miserable. I doubt I'll switch though; just last minute indecisions :D

New thread could provide a really nice OP though, filled with links to guides, answers to common questions, explanation of Khadgar memes...

If the OP doesn't just say: "post 4986 times to unlock the next stage of the OP" I'll be upset.

Sarcasm

The Warrior class hall is amazing looking, that's true. It's just a shame that, with the exception of the Deathwing shield, the prot artifacts are miserable. I doubt I'll switch though; just last minute indecisions :D

If the OP doesn't just say: "post 4986 times to unlock the next stage of the OP" I'll be upset.

Yea, mine atm is Shaman or Monk. If I went shaman, healer. Monk I dunno...tank. But I tank on my druid. lol

That Reddit guide is great. Thanks whoever posted that. I feel a lot more prepared for how to handle certain things this week!

Also, FYI, looks like Best Buy and EB Games (in Canada) are doing an early sale for pre-orders on Monday, just like with Overwatch. Super nice for nerds like me who want their Physical CE before the game comes out to bask in the artbook/OST/Bluray before launch. :)

Which guide?

Shahadan

In that case, why even make a new thread?

Cause among the inevitable shitposting Wow threads always attract, there are people asking for help and enjoying their talk about the expansion proper, and they need an OT.
Most people ignore the Community side.

And many of us here usually post on the gaming side OT as well and try to help people who need it.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Thanks for the tips. I've got a priest, warlock and warrior to choose from. I'll probably start on the priest but not entirely sure yet.

You can't go wrong with shadow priest if you are looking for a ranged DPS spec. They are pretty fuckin rad.

Tamanon

Banned
Damn, this thread has been blowin' up. I feel Legion might be a pretty good success. It just looks so much more polished and wide-reaching than Warlords.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Damn, this thread has been blowin' up. I feel Legion might be a pretty good success. It just looks so much more polished and wide-reaching than Warlords.

As someone on reddit said "Blizzard broke the 'incase of emergency' case" with the introduction of Demon Hunters, Illidan coming back, etc.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Shadow priest is Old Gods tier currently. Damage is solid, abilities/visuals/fantasy of it are cool as hell, and the rotation is just pure fun. Probably in the top 3 specs this expansion when it comes to blizzard just nailing it on all ends. Shadows of Madness is probably one of the most unique and balls-iest talents blizz has ever created as well, though probably not for everyone lol.

Well, that was being said about Warlords too and look how that all turned out.
But it wasn't wrong about warlords, at launch. There was a TON THERE to love in the first 30 days. But their reliance on garrison gameplay carrying too much of the content... the rapid 1-2 punch of HM and BRF, followed by a long content drought, and the further turning WoW into a single player game.. WOD was a ton of fun at launch but between slow updates and not being able to see ahead how it would impact the community. It was a fun expansion but unquestionably the worst expansion cycle/era.

Shahadan

Is dual specialization still a thing? Where can you buy heirloom gear abd does it work up until 100 for xp boost?

You can switch to all three (or four) specs now. Heirlooms can be bought in Ironforge (Undercity for horde I assume?) and they're upgradable to lvl 100 in exchange for gold.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

Every time I check the thread lately

d6yO6gb.png

I've been collecting most of the good info into a thread on my guilds website. One of the biggest things people ask all the time is offspec artifacts. This is a guide Mr.Robot mapped out. I think it's been posted before, posting again for visibility.

ZUUThTR.jpg

I'm personally annoyed that they're so...strict with the artifact stuff. You can swap between all the specs sure, but you'll still always have a "best" one.

I'm personally annoyed that they're so...strict with the artifact stuff. You can swap between all the specs sure, but you'll still always have a "best" one.
Yeah, I feel the same way. My main is a Demo Lock and has been ever since Vanilla. With the way they've been changing things for them it really isn't that fun to play that spec any more. Sounds like they may be changing things further, but we pretty much have to decide now which artifact we will be "maining".

Auctopus

I've been racing to get my Dwarf warrior to Level 100 in time for Legion, I've managed to get to 77 in the last three weeks. I'm not too interested in doing Cata, MoP or WoD as I've played them quite recently.

How long would it take to go 77 to 100 with just invasions? Saw estimations of 10-15 hours for 1-100.

borghe

How long would it take to go 77 to 100 with just invasions? Saw estimations of 10-15 hours for 1-100.

want to say I did this in about 4-6 hours (actually from 72) with full heirlooms.

do NOT open any chests IMHO. This was my enh shaman, and he came out with full 700 invasion gear (including a handful of warforged), as well as two weapons, AND enough fel and nethershards to take both weapons to 725.

note if you do a caster, there is no staff. So you'll get either a wand, sword or mace.. you can go to Tanaan then and about 30 seconds from the flight path (Mato's Outlook?) is a 650 offhand book.

Hixx

I've been racing to get my Dwarf warrior to Level 100 in time for Legion, I've managed to get to 77 in the last three weeks. I'm not too interested in doing Cata, MoP or WoD as I've played them quite recently.

80+ you get a level an invasion with heirlooms. Maybe a tad less. An invasion takes 20 minutes or so unless it's Kharanos where people just don't do Phase 3. So not long at all.

I went from 88-89 (I think it was that, it's definitely late 80s anyway) in 12 minutes.

Aeana

On the other hand, with the artifact power multipliers, getting other artifacts up to speed after your main will take less time.

Zelias

Banned
I 'only' levelled 4 chars to 100 via invasions, now I have 7 100s on main server, 4 more on a backwater server, and my Warlock on a slightly less backwater server. Kinda want a sale on transfers :/

Magnus

d6yO6gb.png

I've been collecting most of the good info into a thread on my guilds website. One of the biggest things people ask all the time is offspec artifacts. This is a guide Mr.Robot mapped out. I think it's been posted before, posting again for visibility.

ZUUThTR.jpg

Really puts into perspective how much more each extra trait costs. For the most part, spending AP in your alt artifact barely makes much of a dent in the progress on your main artifact. As someone who intends on playing two specs roughly equally, this is great news. I'll main Xal'atath and alt T'uure.

Mupod

It's a concern for me as well. I plan to focus on tanking, but who knows what I'll end up doing in raids. If I tank in mythic dungeons but I'm expected to bring my A game as a DPS in a raid that's a problem.

As for Legion, I'd be legitimately shocked if it gets back even half of the people I saw return for WoD. It was absolutely insane looking at the guild roster, it looked like I had opened up a time portal to 2007. But most of those people left in 2-3 months. I know a lot of people were just sitting around waiting for a WoW 2 that might never happen...WoD was a nice reintroduction but it wasn't enough to keep them.

As someone who wasn't interested in Legion until I was basically dragged back in by friends, I absolutely felt like Blizzard was feeding people the same lines as the last 3 expansions. Fool me once, etc. I'm still not convinced, but I don't expect to be in it for the long haul regardless.

Somnia

So, I'm at work and wanting to listen to some music (been listening to some game of thrones stuff)...

Link me your favorite WoW music!

Entropia

No One Remembers
Is dual specialization still a thing? Where can you buy heirloom gear abd does it work up until 100 for xp boost?

Not really. You can just switch between your specs as you want. No need for 'dual specialization'.

It's just that Rhaknar started playing again.

World of Warcraft |OT9| Rhaknar's livejournal

hahahahahahah, A+ ;)

So, I'm at work and wanting to listen to some music (been listening to some game of thrones stuff)...

Link me your favorite WoW music!

Probably the only one you will get - Grizzly Hills.

M.D

Did I imagine or was there a guide about the Demon Hunter's starting zone and pointing out thing you could miss? Can someone link it please?

borghe

I absolutely felt like Blizzard was feeding people the same lines as the last 3 expansions. Fool me once, etc. I'm still not convinced,
Sort of, sort of not.. Blizz HAS BEEN feeding people the line "we know where we went wrong, and we're fixing it!!!" for 3 expansions. yes.

and while I am not convinced they have it totally figured out.. they do seem to have some sort of a grasp. So we've been hearing "we need to get content out faster" for 7 years.But in those 7 years the push always seemed to be "faster expansions". Yet:

TBC 26 months
WOTLK 22 months
Cata 25 months
MOP 20 months
WOD 26 months
LEG 21 months

Blizz wanting faster expansions makes sense.. $40-50 every two years, or faster, is a ncie bump for the $15/month sub. But it "seems" they've finally realized that $40-50 every two years doesn't mean as much what a) the sub numbers keep dropping and b) the quantity of those $15 monthly pops keep going down.

So yeah......... actions speak louder that words.. but it "seems" blizz understands that to keep the game healthy they need frequent content updates.. and they can't reasonably get expansions out faster than ~2 years.. so they NEED a steady stream of content for those two years, including the expansion launch AND the next pre-expansion patch. So call launch 3 months (average between casual and hardcore), and pre-exp 1 month.. they basically need ~18 months of content in there. Honestly I can't see, given that, how they can have less than 5 content patches per cycle.

Top Bottom