• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

Draxal

As someone who enjoyed almost every aspect of WoW since Vanilla... I have to get this off my chest.

The Broken isles are some of the absolute worst zones ever designed in MMO history. It's like someone took a WoW zone and crushed it like a can; compressing the areas between quest hubs into small corridors that overlap on top of each other. It's my only complaint so far... but damn, navigating these zones is frustrating as fuck.

Tanaan was so horrific, so these feel great to me in comparison. Sarumar is such a huge upgrade.

Anyway, my zones favorites go like this.

1. Stormheim (there was enough variety in the zone)
2a. Azuna (Runas was really great and set up Sarumar amazingly)
b. Val'Sharah (it being pretty and black rook hold were the redeeming parts, the story was awful otherwise)
4. Highmountain (way way way too long)

CHC

As someone who enjoyed almost every aspect of WoW since Vanilla... I have to get this off my chest.

The Broken isles are some of the absolute worst zones ever designed in MMO history. It's like someone took a WoW zone and crushed it like a can; compressing the areas between quest hubs into small corridors that overlap on top of each other. It's my only complaint so far... but damn, navigating these zones is frustrating as fuck.

I'm not saying I agree necessarily, I really like the zones, but I do wish we had one sprawling and wide open zone. Those always feel good.

TheYanger

How does one fail a 104% chance mission?

Edit: And now a 101% one.

You're not failing the mission, you're failing the bonus objective. The animation can be a little misleading.

If you don't hit the ilevel requirement.

That has literally nothing to do with it, if you hit the % you hit the %. not meeting the ilevel on a champ just means they contribute little or nothing.

Tecnniqe

Banned
murloc4kl.jpg

Completely off topic but I figure you guys might have ideas.

What playable race's and classes/hero classes would you like to see in future expansions.

Playable races I'd like to see: Furbolg, Tuskarr

I'd also like to see existing playable races have additional "skins" added to them. Draenei having a Broken look, for example.

I can't think of any new classes to add but some of existing classes I'd like to see added to the races we currently have:

Pandaren: Druid, Paladin
Worgen: Monk
Goblin: Monk

And if a Broken sub-race was added I would love to have them as a Demon Hunter. I'd race-change in a heart beat for that.

Also, those updated worgen and goblin models would be a welcome addition. I'm happy with goblins as they are but worgen have so many cosmetic issues that it makes me not want to play as one, despite them being one of my favorite races.

I'm actually glad LFR stayed in game, because tier sets are back and that means more xmogs! ^_^ Many of my favourite post-cata sets come from LFR.

Damn me.

I finally decide I'm boosting a Paladin, I have a lvl 60 Dwarf already for that.

But then I started to think do I want to play Horde instead?!

stupid mind.

Xeteh

Damn me.

I finally decide I'm boosting a Paladin, I have a lvl 60 Dwarf already for that.

But then I started to think do I want to play Horde instead?!

stupid mind.

I recently came back to WoW and leveled all my old characters from 80-85 to 100 with the invasions. I had an Orc shaman I leveled too just for fun. About 2-3 days before Legion launched my friend and I decided to play Horde... I could have had so many more horde characters.

TheYanger

So, loose justfication for toy nerfs.

Dancing around the Destroy mastery issue.

Not even addressing the Affliction ramp up issue.

Talking shit about Warlock "Tankiness" when we're suppose to be dps.

...kinda pointless.

Tanklike doesn't mean literally tanking, but it does mean they're less fragile (they are) and they're more slow and ploddingn and dangerous, like a tank. It's the same term they use to describe death knights who also have mobility 'problems'.

End of the day? They're right. Why does every class need to blast around the battlefield? Warlocks don't need to be blinking around, neither do DKs, it's just an aspect of the feel of the class, and even when it feels 'bad' it's important to how they feel.

Both of our classes represent the bad people of Azeroth who are willing to touch pure evil to accomplish our goals. What do bad guys do? They walk slowly into the battlefield and bring an imposing fearful presence with them. It's 100% the fantasy of those classes.

M.D

As they say... "fake it til you make it". They don't really have anything *new* in them, shit just hits harder and faster. The only thing that really caught me off guard was the laser on the last boss in Black Rook Hold since it went so fast.

PUGing is like being in a car accident. Never admit fault.

It's kind of true actually. Just become the fucking villain, it's better. If no one else allegedly did anything wrong then neither did you! No good comes of admitting fault! Haha

No worries, I found another group in which everyone seemed to do their first mythic as well

We only had real trouble on the second boss (got him the third time and even then it was a bit iffy) but other than that it was totally manageable

I was talking to a friend about this the other day and I feel like my Orc Shaman would have wanted no part of her storyline.

She doesn't care about the Horde or even the Forsaken. Everything is just a means to an end for her and she will do anything, betray anyone just to ensure her continued existence.

She won't be Garrosh. They're setting her up for a redemption story.

Really? Because all she's ever looked like is a villain waiting for the right moment to turn on all of the living. Probably the moment she gets a hold of more Val'kyr and can start spawning armies of the dead and guarantee her continued unlife. Her alliance with the Horde is one of convenience.

Wouldn't blame anyone for rerolling Alliance atm

Greymane is such a badass.

Pendas

Banned
Tanaan was so horrific, so these feel great to me in comparison. Sarumar is such a huge upgrade.

The questlines are fine, I'm talking about the zone layout. I like exploring. I have double gathering (Mining / Herb) and I have the treasure achievement for every zone. Navigating Gathering Nodes is like pulling teeth. Going off the beaten path can easily get you killed in Stormheim / Highmountain. (Pretty sure I've willingly received Rez Sickness more times in a week than in my 10 years of WoW.)

RPGCrazied

Aw, why did they put a mandatory dungeon in class hall campaigns? At least for DH it wants me to go into the vault of the wardens.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
actually liking 2 specs on a class is...a conumdrum

Peachpies

Aw, why did they put a mandatory dungeon in class hall campaigns? At least for DH it wants me to go into the vault of the wardens.
To make the different areas of the game feel more connected. I think everyone has at least 1 dungeon quest in their order hall campaign.

Hazmat

To push people into the dungeons. I feel like I've gotten much better queue times as a DPS due to everyone needing to do dungeons for their professions/order/questing.

zarnold56

Can anyone recommend a good UI pack that is pretty minimal and clean? Been looking around on WoWInterface and Curse, but nothing is really catching my eye. I see a ton using ElvUI, but that looks way too busy.

It worries me that one of the key things they identified in the Q&A about Warlocks is that we have a lot of health and can take dmg. So wtf is that supposed to do in raids, are we supposed to stand in the fire and pop sac pact because it gives us millions of health? If we're supposed to be tanky, give us a tank spec! Oh wait, you took away Metamorphosis and gave us nothing in return so guess that's out.

At least Pallies can play Holy or Prot. Warlocks have 3 DPS specs that are all varying degrees of ughhhhhhhhhhhhh

The Sylvanias storyline was quite disappointing for me. Vol'Jin's death is a tragic waste of a great character that deserved a lot more development in game (especially considering he was pretty much the last significant troll lore figure still alive). But I was willing to give the blatant fanservice move a chance, the cinematic made it seem like she was actually start to see herself as a member of the Horde and not just an ally of convenience to it.

And then it's right back to her trying to get immortality and make more undead? That has literally nothing to do with her taking up the mantle of warchief, they could have done that storyline even if Vol'jin were alive, it would make no difference.

Ive only done horde side, but even what little I see, Greymane at least has something of an arc, goals that make sense and are consistent with his role in the story, Sylvanas is just "For the Horde" for a split second and then right back to her usual scheming self.

Lor'Themar Theron and the Blood Elves legitimately seem to be closer to the "core" horde races than Sylvanas does, and that's even considering that he tried to secede in MoP due to Garrosh.

As a big horde guy, it was just disappointing. I like seeing the disparate races of the Horde come together, and so that's what I hoped to see with Sylvanas. Working together and doing everything for the greater good of the Horde, and instead it was just self serving shit like usual.

TheYanger

It worries me that one of the key things they identified in the Q&A about Warlocks is that we have a lot of health and can take dmg. So wtf is that supposed to do in raids, are we supposed to stand in the fire and pop sac pact because it gives us millions of health? If we're supposed to be tanky, give us a tank spec! Oh wait, you took away Metamorphosis and gave us nothing in return so guess that's out.

At least Pallies can play Holy or Prot. Warlocks have 3 DPS specs that are all varying degrees of ughhhhhhhhhhhhh

Again, that's literally not what 'tanklike' means in that context. It's specifically about being less mobile/being more durable. It doesn't mean you can't do dps or anything remotely like that. Warlocks have the biggest martyr complex right now, I get some of the specs (aff) are less than ideal, but powerwise the class isn't in a terrible place. Like, the statement had aboslutely nothing to do with dps (it was about mobility) and somehow people are talking about not being able to tank. come on.

Strimei

End of the Mage class campaign was a bit meh, but whatever, I am now officially an Archmage. I've wanted that title since it was datamined back in WotLK's alpha as a server-first-mage title (thank god they ditched that idea).

Kathra'natir is so escaping at some point, though.

Maledict

The Sylvanias storyline was quite disappointing for me. Vol'Jin's death is a tragic waste of a great character that deserved a lot more development in game (especially considering he was pretty much the last significant troll lore figure still alive). But I was willing to give the blatant fanservice move a chance, the cinematic made it seem like she was actually start to see herself as a member of the Horde and not just an ally of convenience to it.

And then it's right back to her trying to get immortality and make more undead? That has literally nothing to do with her taking up the mantle of warchief, they could have done that storyline even if Vol'jin were alive, it would make no difference.

Ive only done horde side, but even what little I see, Greymane at least has something of an arc, goals that make sense and are consistent with his role in the story, Sylvanas is just "For the Horde" for a split second and then right back to her usual scheming self.

Lor'Themar Theron and the Blood Elves legitimately seem to be closer to the "core" horde races than Sylvanas does, and that's even considering that he tried to secede in MoP due to Garrosh.

As a big horde guy, it was just disappointing. I like seeing the disparate races of the Horde come together, and so that's what I hoped to see with Sylvanas. Working together and doing everything for the greater good of the Horde, and instead it was just self serving shit like usual.

Yep. I liked Stormheim the zone a lot mechanically, but the Sylvanas storyline was hot garbage. Not only was it completely disjointed from the other cinematics in the game, it made absolutely no sense horde side. Firstly you get attacked by the alliance for no apparent reason, then Sylvanas vanishes, then she reappears and has you commit genocide against the good vyrkul and finally tries to enslave a being of pure light for her own immortality. I felt very uncomfortable doing the quests because to be frank - my character would not do this.

It's a real shit show to be frank, and one of the few bad points to the expansion. Like Garosh's schizophrenic storyline in cataclysm, it's as if different writers were writing different sections for her and they obviously weren't talking.

(I also honestly don't get her supposed motivation - my race cannot reproduce, so we need vyrkul to make more of us? So what? It's not as if anyone *enjoys* being forsaken, they go on about the curse constantly! Her motivation is *dumb*.

TheYanger

Yep. I liked Stormheim the zone a lot mechanically, but the Sylvanas storyline was hot garbage. Not only was it completely disjointed from the other cinematics in the game, it made absolutely no sense horde side. Firstly you get attacked by the alliance for no apparent reason, then Sylvanas vanishes, then she reappears and has you commit genocide against the good vyrkul and finally tries to enslave a being of pure light for her own immortality. I felt very uncomfortable doing the quests because to be frank - my character would not do this.

It's a real shit show to be frank, and one of the few bad points to the expansion. Like Garosh's schizophrenic storyline in cataclysm, it's as if different writers were writing different sections for her and they obviously weren't talking.

(I also honestly don't get her supposed motivation - my race cannot reproduce, so we need vyrkul to make more of us? So what? It's not as if anyone *enjoys* being forsaken, they go on about the curse constantly! Her motivation is *dumb*.

Not arguing one way or the other about the quality (I think ti's fine). She never orders you to commit genocide against anyone, she sends you after the Aegis of Aggramar which involves participating in the culture to get admitted to see odyn. The alliance wants to stop you because it's specifically the gilnean navy, and Genn has a personal vendetta with Sylvanas. Meanwhile, she is in secret pursuing the lantern to enslave the valkyrs (not the vrykuls), who are the only source she knows of of continuing the forsaken. This isn't a new plotline, this is literally what she's been workign on since Catalcysm. go do Tirisfal Glades sometime if you haven't. They don't like that they were slaughtered by Arthas and made into undead, so they're bitter, but they don't hate 'living' as it were, you're making it out as if the forsaken live in constant agony - that's patently false, they only hate that they were forcibly turned. The valkyr allow them both to renew their dead and to 'birth' new forsaken from those who have already died. It stops her civilization from being wiped out. Just because a horrible thing created them doesn't mean they want to stop existing now, that's never been the case.

TLDR: What you're saying is untrue or misunderstanding on your part every step of the way, and for Sylvanas NOT to do waht she did would've been out of character, not doing it.

Greymane attacking the Forsaken fleet at the start of Stormheim isn't without reason. On top of the litany of legitimate grievances Greymane and the Gilneans have with the Forsaken, Greymane holds Sylvanas and the Horde responsible for failing at the Broken Shore and for Varian's death. That's why he went on that suicide mission. While he didn't succeed in killing Sylvanas, he stopped her from gaining more Val'kyr and denied her bid at immortality and creating more undead. As a goblin Warlock, I applaud him for that.

Sylvanas motivation is her own continued existence, having more Val'kyr and the ability produce more Forsaken is merely an extension of her desire to never see the other side again. She's died and knows what's waiting for her. That's the main reason she wants more Val'kyr and to produce more Forsaken. It has nothing to do with the Horde or saving Azeroth, she doesn't even care about her "people", she's driven by the selfish desire to never die again.

go do Tirisfal Glades sometime if you haven't. They don't like that they were slaughtered by Arthas and made into undead, so they're bitter, but they don't hate 'living' as it were, you're making it out as if the forsaken live in constant agony - that's patently false, they only hate that they were forcibly turned. The valkyr allow them both to renew their dead and to 'birth' new forsaken from those who have already died. It stops her civilization from being wiped out. Just because a horrible thing created them doesn't mean they want to stop existing now, that's never been the case.

She refers to her existance as a curse, yet freely metes that curse out all throughout the Forsaken questing zones inflicting it on others just as it was inflicted on her and the people of Lordaeron. At the start of Silverpine, in the Fall of Gilneas (where she pays a price for doing so) and even in to the Western Plaugelands, murdering farmers and raising them as undead.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I hope the Warcheif storyline ends with everyone finding out Vul'jin chose Sylvannas because 'the spirits told him' and she completely fucks everyone over and Vul'jin looks like the complete idiot that he is.

Burn in Troll hell

I hope the Warcheif storyline ends with everyone finding out Vul'jin chose Sylvannas because 'the spirits told him' and she completely fucks everyone over and Vul'jin looks like the complete idiot that he is.

Burn in Troll hell

Pinning that on Vol'jin is ridiculous. That's entirely the fault of Blizzard's clumsy writing. "Uh, Vol'jin would never actually want Sylvanas to be Warchief, right? Spirits tell him to do it boom we're geniuses." Her sizeable fandom shares some of the blame too.

Should've been Baine or even Lor'Themar if they were determined to kill Vol'jin.

strafer

Pinning that on Vol'jin is ridiculous. That's entirely the fault of Blizzard's clumsy writing. "Uh, Vol'jin would never actually want Sylvanas to be Warchief, right? Spirits tell him to do it boom we're geniuses." Her sizeable fandom shares some of the blame too.

Should've been Baine or even Lor'Themar if they were determined to kill Vol'jin.

Relax your panties.

Baine will be Warchief next expansion.

TheYanger

I mean...I don't know how anyone can watch that cutscene and think that Vol'jin seeing it from the spirits means anything other than some other unforseeable to us result is going to arise from it. Like, yeah she's an evil bitch but her crusade leads us to a desireable result, or whatever other issue. His vision has no chance of meaning "Oh, the spirits told me you'd suddenly be altruistic".

Kintaco

There are missions you can fail regardless of your success % if you don't counter certain abilities.

There is a little pop-up for the first time, but it's easy to miss. They should really show 0% in those cases.
Again these are the first quests for the DK and DH. Those all have the required ilevel and everything is countered by default as it is the first quests.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

Lor'Themar was in talks to join the Alliance. Baine is a literal nobody at best and a complete loser at worst. He shows no signs of leadership and is never even delegated remotely important tasks within the Horde. Sylvanas is the only logical choice and the events on the Broken Shore clearly speak to that.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Why the fuck is the warrior class campaign quest putting quests in the most painful as fuck to get to places in Highmountain?

Priest had nothing this bad

Maledict

Not arguing one way or the other about the quality (I think ti's fine). She never orders you to commit genocide against anyone, she sends you after the Aegis of Aggramar which involves participating in the culture to get admitted to see odyn. The alliance wants to stop you because it's specifically the gilnean navy, and Genn has a personal vendetta with Sylvanas. Meanwhile, she is in secret pursuing the lantern to enslave the valkyrs (not the vrykuls), who are the only source she knows of of continuing the forsaken. This isn't a new plotline, this is literally what she's been workign on since Catalcysm. go do Tirisfal Glades sometime if you haven't. They don't like that they were slaughtered by Arthas and made into undead, so they're bitter, but they don't hate 'living' as it were, you're making it out as if the forsaken live in constant agony - that's patently false, they only hate that they were forcibly turned. The valkyr allow them both to renew their dead and to 'birth' new forsaken from those who have already died. It stops her civilization from being wiped out. Just because a horrible thing created them doesn't mean they want to stop existing now, that's never been the case.

TLDR: What you're saying is untrue or misunderstanding on your part every step of the way, and for Sylvanas NOT to do waht she did would've been out of character, not doing it.

I did titis fall glades, but thanks for the patronising response.

1) The alliance attack on the forsaken makes *no* sense in the context of what we are doing - and neither does the fact no-one is surprised by it! I've just come from helping two of the main alliance heroes save the Druids (including rescuing the life of one direction of them), my main contact point in the expansion is the human Mage Khadgar and the horde just got readmitted back into Dalaran. Then suddenly the alliance attacks? Go read the actual quest dialogues for the starting point for the zone - it's badly explained and out of place.

2) You are forgetting the village of female, light worshipping vyrkul who we have to butcher so Sylvanas can enslave Odin's emmisary. That wasn't part of their culture, it was literally going into a village of good vyrkul who are aligned against the demon forces and butchering them.

3) Given that the valkyr are new to this expansion and weren't mentioned before, this isn't something she's been working on since cataclysm. Yes, she's been looking for a way to preserve her immortality - but not by enslaving the valkyr and directly weakening the forces of light against the legion!

It makes no sense. Even if you fill in the gaps which blizzard failed to do with the in game dialogue and quest lines, it's a completely idiotic motivation that just comes across as bad to the player and makes absolutely no sense given the context. At best it means the new war chief is a complete moron who doesn't give a shit about the horde, or indeed anything living on Azeroth.

Hopefully it's being set up for a redemption story rather than yet another horde raid boss, but to be honest the way it's been written so far I doubt it. The Sylvanas from the intro who risked her life to save Varian, and then saved the horde and seemed overwhelmed by her new responsibilities is totally different to the Sylvanas who leaves her entire army behind and then allies with a dark God to kill innocents in the hope of enslaving a being of light to save her own skin. Given the numerous complaints here and on the forums, I'm clearly not the only one who thinks the entire thing was very badly handled.

Edit: as a storytelling method, it's probably not a good idea to try and directly continue a storyline from over 6 years ago, and more than 100 levels, directly without any form of bridging text either. I had basically forgotten she killed Greymanes son (despite playing him a lot in HotS, and it's one of his key lines!).

7 Felhide sold for like 5k+ each instantly. Probably could've listed for more, as I'm pretty sure I got bought out buy a goblin trying to flip, but I'll take a pocket 35k.
mozz_shopkeep.gif

M.D

Oh god, another set of 12 hour missions for the Demon Hunter campaign? Why do they do this shit.. if I knew I would have done it earlier

Core Zero

Sylvanas is clearly being set up to become the Lich Queen in the upcoming Return to Northrend expansion. I see no other logical explanation.

/s... maybe?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
actually liking 2 specs on a class is...a conumdrum

I generally try to play classes that have at least two specs I am interested in. It's one of the reasons I settled on DK for legion, because I know I like unholy and blood seemed cool.

In the past I've liked enhance and ele, or destro and demo. Playing a one spec class always seemed like a bit of a waste.

Is the Armory ever going to get fixed? Still shows my main pre-legion, and most people I look up are either only somewhat accurate or still showing at 100.

Top Bottom