• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

strafer

I'm really upset right now. This is not what I wanted to hear.

Blizzcon from now on will be super weird, those new expansion reveal hype speeches are literally gone now which sucks.

Thrall will most likely die.

I will never get to meet Chris Metzen.

My hunger for World of Warcraft suddenly dropped 98%.

How can I face my Orc Warlock now with Metzen gone, I just can't.

CHC

Blizzcon from now on will be super weird, those new expansion reveal hype speeches are literally gone now which sucks.

You know he's not dead right?

So after all the Legion coverage hit and reminded me WoW existed coupled with needing something easy to play while watching Giant Bomb's new Endurance Run, I just reupped after not having played seriously since about 2011. I've hit level 24 with a goblin rogue and I'm starting to remember why I stopped playing back in the day...the "go here, do X thing X amount of times" quest style is already starting to grate on me.

Since I've been away for such a long time and there are so many new systems in place (what the hell is this "battle pets" thing?), what are the most interesting things I can be doing to effectively level progress at this point that isn't just 100% fetch quest grinding?

I'm paid through at least midway through next month and I'd like to see some of the later game content (I topped out around level 45 back in the day and stopped playing right around the time Skyrim came out so I never saw of the various expansion pack content) but I don't want to burn out.

That's the nature of MMORPG's. You have to deal with some mindless quests here and there. I've heard mixed things but if you have purchased Legion already you should get a free character boost to 100--which cuts out a lot of the crap that is leveling in older content. A lot of the new features are relevant for newer content, but leveling in the Post-Cata old world really isn't that bad. There's a lot more diversity with quests the the number of zones you get access to with the "Call to Arms" quests out of Orgrimmar are a lot better than the olden days.

The problem is that these days Blizzard has cut out a lot of abilities from each class to kind of return them to their roots and get rid of people have 3 full action bars of situational abilities. It makes progression while leveling seem almost non-existent. The only class that really gains anything while leveling in Legion is DH's who get a few talents, but outside of Artifacts nobody gains any new big abilities.

lazygecko

That's the nature of MMORPG's. You have to deal with some mindless quests here and there.

I prefer them being more upfront about it. Every now and again you get some new MMO which claims to not use the "kill 12 X" formula and have you do more meaningful things instead, but they're still going to place a whole bunch of mundane mobs between you and your objective which you can't avoid, so in the end you're still doing the same thing, only difference is that you're not watching a progress meter get filled while doing it. And that kind of dynamic just ends up feeling more psychologically grating to me.

Actually, I'll just go ahead and say that I overall find the more story-heavy approach of modern MMO questing to ultimately be more frustrating than the archetypical old style of killing and collecting. Because the story stuff tends to rely so much on scripted sequences having to play out before you can move on. They might be novel the first time around, but on repeat playthroughs I just find them utterly insufferable. At least with the old barebones formula you had a lot more freedom to dictate your own pace.

Losing Metzen does kinda suck, given the legacy that he's created. Especially since he could easily go another 10-15 years or more given his age.

However, it's probably a healthy thing for the company. One thing I've always heard about Blizzard it's that it's a top few guys that crowd out higher management positions and that there isn't much room for growth. Metzen retiring leaves room for some younger talent at Blizzard to get promoted.

Fjordson

Jeez just heard about Metzen. Met him once at Blizzcon and he was insanely cool. Sad day for Blizz =[

Also may have to level my shaman in his honor.

Loxley

Definitely a big loss for Blizzard, but good for him retiring at such a young age to spend time with his family, talk about living the dream. I imagine at this point he had to be one of the busiest folks at the company.

Blizz-Con's opening ceremony won't be the same though :( I need my yearly dose of #MetzenHype!

cdyhybrid

Definitely a big loss for Blizzard, but good for him retiring at such a young age to spend time with his family, talk about living the dream. I imagine at this point he had to be one of the busiest folks at the company.

Blizz-Con's opening ceremony won't be the same though :( I need my yearly dose of #MetzenHype!

Maybe he can still come out for Blizzcon to bring the hype. That would be cool.

Khezu

C0T2RjJ.jpg

Apparently you can still do the Dreadsteed quest if you have the mats.
Was kinda fun to do again I guess.

Just about to get into WoW for the first time with my brother since we both lost our jobs.

Our buddy in Stormrage wants to sherpa us through the basics, but it seems like the server is killed with wait times.

Any suggestions on a good US PVE Alliance server to join? We were thinking Proudmoore.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
wow chris metzen leaving is a surprise.

he's kind of becoming a hack in the last arc or so of story IMO, but its going to be odd seeing where WOW and StarCraft go without his input.

daedalius

What is up with collectors editions for Legion? Usually there are tons and I can easily get one, now Amazon has only 2 for sale, and they are both $225

Did they really make a ton less this time and they are REALLY "collectors" editions?

Just about to get into WoW for the first time with my brother since we both lost our jobs.

Our buddy in Stormrage wants to sherpa us through the basics, but it seems like the server is killed with wait times.

Any suggestions on a good US PVE Alliance server to join? We were thinking Proudmoore.
Proudmoore is a good one.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

I cant tell if this is sarcasm or not

question to people that are having trouble with withered. are you always trying to do a "full run"? because my first few runs I did (well the first one was a complete fail) I just got like a couple of chests and got the hell out of there, didnt even fght bosses. You get items that improve your next runs each time. Like I didnt even fight the ghost dudes at first, just the small mobs,. I went down to the spider zone down the stairs, killed those, avoiding the ghost elementals, picked up a chest, and called it run. next time, same thing, picked up mybe one more, called it a run. as you get more items to make your withered not run so much or do more dmg or get upgraded to mages or something it gets better.

I prefer them being more upfront about it. Every now and again you get some new MMO which claims to not use the "kill 12 X" formula and have you do more meaningful things instead, but they're still going to place a whole bunch of mundane mobs between you and your objective which you can't avoid, so in the end you're still doing the same thing, only difference is that you're not watching a progress meter get filled while doing it.

I was really pissed with Guild Wars 2 for this reason. They spent the entire time bragging about a dynamic world and the death of kill/fetch quests, but when you got into the actual game that couldn't be further from the truth. Yea, you didn't have a quest that said "Kill 12 Rats at Happytime Farm", you instead had an ambiguous meter that said "Clean up Happytime Farm", which could be filled by... kiling 12 Rats. On top of that, all their "dynamic events" were basically on timers or triggered when specific things were done--at least Rift did that right.

Rizzi

I cant tell if this is sarcasm or not

question to people that are having trouble with withered. are you always trying to do a "full run"? because my first few runs I did (well the first one was a complete fail) I just got like a couple of chests and got the hell out of there, didnt even fght bosses. You get items that improve your next runs each time. Like I didnt even fight the ghost dudes at first, just the small mobs,. I went down to the spider zone down the stairs, killed those, avoiding the ghost elementals, picked up a chest, and called it run. next time, same thing, picked up mybe one more, called it a run. as you get more items to make your withered not run so much or do more dmg or get upgraded to mages or something it gets better.

No, because half the time no chests spawn before I get murdered by an elite that decides it wants to show up whenever it feels like it.

Tarazet

No, because half the time no chests spawn before I get murdered by an elite that decides it wants to show up whenever it feels like it.

Dro is always in the same room, so if you're a class that can't handle her (which is a lot of them), you can full clear the areas leading up to it and get a pretty easy 250 points, plus upgrades that will make it easier the next time. If you can get to the point of taking a berserker to Dro it becomes easier.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Dro is always in the same room, so if you're a class that can't handle her (which is a lot of them), you can full clear the areas leading up to it and get a pretty easy 250 points, plus upgrades that will make it easier the next time. If you can get to the point of taking a berserker to Dro it becomes easier.

this

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

Maybe my berserker was dead at that point (does the helm transfer if the berserker dies due to over-taunting?), but I got rocked by Dros's 300% attack speed aura, and my stun was previously down from trying to stop the withered jump-slashes. Will have to try and kite him somewhat next time, or just spec into blinding light or something.

That being said, next time I'll just have to get the mage helm and a couple of small upgrades, I think.

Rizzi

My last run I got one chest, and it added a bank to Suramar. Just what I always wanted?

Rhaknar

opened up world quest on DK, 3 world quests for frost relic, the one spec I dont want to use, none for blood which im mising on my blood art. Why blizz? ;_;

carlsojo

I mean like he's retiring but I can't imagine he doesn't keep voicing Thrall and showing up to every Blizzcon ever.

Acidote

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...y-Training?p=42226469&viewfull=1#post42226469

^^ That's the guide I've been using for Withered Training. It's from a Prot War/tank POV but you get the idea.

I've been doing this with my 811 Blood DK I barely understand how to play with and with my 844 enh shaman. And it's so much easier with the DK that I couldn't believe it. But the guide is OK, it saves you time with those guidelines instead of learning it while losing a save =)

Zelias

Banned
Metzen was cool but Blizzard needs a new direction on storytelling that doesn't rely on his favoured tropes and characters anymore. I wish him all the best in his retirement though.

Rhaknar

not sure how much time I want to invest in the DK, I have the monk in the back of my mind, and not just for brewmaster but Im actually thinking the few friends I have that play the game still play tanks (2 of them at least), it would be nice to have a healer and I loved mistweaving in early mop (and then hated when it started going towards fistweaving being the best)

argh what to do

glaurung

Spent a little time with my old hunter last night.

Beast Mastery? Cannot play it any more. Don't know what buttons to press.

Marksman? Weird new rotation with Sidewinders and burst damage from a hunter? Weird-ass things. Also, got murdered more times than I can remember. Loot is nice though. Went for the artifact bow, the one that I had to unequip my primary, log out of the game and only then could I pick it up.

Top Bottom