• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

Mossybrew

Finally got my main to 110. I think this is the first time that hitting the level cap hasn't been the beginning of the end for that character, I don't raid, so at endgame I'd usually do some dungeons, maybe dabble in pvp, and then move on to an alt. Now I feel like I have a ton of stuff to still do and look forward to, it's pretty great.

I hope they do another stat squish. 1300 + to any stat doesn't even register to me any more.

If they do, then they need to cut out the first hundred levels or something. The last stat squish made leveling one of the least exciting things in the world, because the damn gear you get has barely any improvements. I got a pair or gloves in a vanilla dungeon that I didn't replace until WoD. Progression is fun, and the stat squish shat all over that. I'd really rather there not be a stat squish, especially considering all the problems that came with the last one.

br3wnor

Hey guys, quick question regarding Champions:

So far I only have 2, I'm level 103 and did a lot of Aszuna and just started Stormheim. Will more Champions be attained just through questing, or is there a specific chain I should be doing? I did all 3 of the Artifact quests, and following the 'warrior' line brought me to Stormheim so I'm working on that set of quests.

Loooove this expansion overall, haven't been able to play a lot but what I've played has been a blast. The companion app is also really great, fun little thing to progress on when I can't be playing the main game.

Xeteh

So far I only have 2, I'm level 103 and did a lot of Aszuna and just started Stormheim. Will more Champions be attained just through questing, or is there a specific chain I should be doing? I did all 3 of the Artifact quests, and following the 'warrior' line brought me to Stormheim so I'm working on that set of quests.

Loooove this expansion overall, haven't been able to play a lot but what I've played has been a blast. The companion app is also really great, fun little thing to progress on when I can't be playing the main game.

They come through your Order Hall questline. Just keep at it.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

They are acquired naturally through your class hall quests. As long as you are doing every quest given you in your class hall, and doing the table missions related to quests (They have the ! icon) you will get all your dudes.

M.D

Any idea why can't I click my numbered buttons (1,2,3 and so on) when I assume control of a vehicle or some sort of other form that has abilities when using ElvUI?

br3wnor

^^^Awesome thanks!

My 4th night with the new expac and the world is great but the dungeons once again full of complete assholes.

Only doing normals, I'm doing one per night and tanking with my Demon Hunter. I tanked years ago so I know the basics, anyway first run through of things so I'm just going at a normal pace and listening to the dialogue/lore and collecting what I need to collect.

EVERY group I have been has had at least one "GO GO GO FFS" person in it, last night it was a healer that wanted me to skip half the dungeon and just follow him. That never works in pugs anyway but this guy eventually just left the group in a massive huff because I wouldn't skip things.

Why is everyone in such a rush to finish dungeons? Didn't everyone cry previously that they were too short? it seems like every one I go in to people want in and out in 10 minutes or i'm a bad tank.

I would just ignore them tbh. You have the leverage as the Tank, if they kick you, you get an insta queuefor the next dungeon, if they don't like how you're tanking let them quit and wait in another half hour queue before being able to play again.

Tarazet

I wonder what you're doing differently with AoE on trash. My AoE as Enh is balls and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong aside from not getting Stormstrike procs, I do well on single target though.

What made the difference for me was not saving my cooldowns, but just using them as they come up. The improvement is dramatic if you can use both Crash Lightning and Stormstrike whenever they are available.

Also, in dungeons, I had been using Ancestral Swiftness instead of Hailstorm which allows you to cast Crash Lightning more often.

Xeteh

What made the difference for me was not saving my cooldowns, but just using them as they come up. The improvement is dramatic if you can use both Crash Lightning and Stormstrike whenever they are available.

Also, in dungeons, I had been using Ancestral Swiftness instead of Hailstorm which allows you to cast Crash Lightning more often.

If you're not getting Stormstrike procs are you using Lava Lash more during AoE then you would for single target? Also the Swiftness over Hailstorm is a good idea, I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

If they do, then they need to cut out the first hundred levels or something. The last stat squish made leveling one of the least exciting things in the world, because the damn gear you get has barely any improvements. I got a pair or gloves in a vanilla dungeon that I didn't replace until WoD. Progression is fun, and the stat squish shat all over that. I'd really rather there not be a stat squish, especially considering all the problems that came with the last one.

They need to address the leveling experience, 1-60 in particular, but Blizzard doesn't really approach WoW as a game-as-a-service, they treat it like a standard triple A game and only mete out content or quality of life improvements with major expansions. Something like Gnomes being Hunters isn't something that needs to be tied to an expansion to be added to the game. That's expansion agnostic content, it's not something like a brand new class like the Demon Hunter. If they add stuff like that in between say the content drought between HFC and Legion, it would've provided some players something to do, although Horde-only players might cry foul or favouritism.

They need to do something about Azeroth since playing through the 1-60 content is sort of something they want people to do given the profession bonuses for boosting a lvl 60. Cataclysm is now as old as Vanilla was when Cata improved the 1-60 questing experience in Azeroth. While the character models and melee animations have improved, with ranged casting animations planned, the classes have all been significantly overhauled, the world has not. I also don't understand why they don't have some junior artists back-porting modern generic world assets into zones in the base game. Unless there's some mandate to keep the floor low or it's a drawback of their system/implementation. If their world objects are all referenced and instanced it should be as simple as swapping in a new model to back-populate it. If these objects are all unique, well, then I could see why they'd be hesitant to open that can of worms.

In regards to older content all they ever seem to do is just make it so you can level through older content faster or bypass it completely and just leave the leveling content as-is for those that want to play through it. Which is inelegant but the path of least resistance.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
If they do, then they need to cut out the first hundred levels or something. The last stat squish made leveling one of the least exciting things in the world, because the damn gear you get has barely any improvements. I got a pair or gloves in a vanilla dungeon that I didn't replace until WoD. Progression is fun, and the stat squish shat all over that.

Yeah, this was pretty shocking to me while leveling in between invasions.

Aside from Heirloom gear, my odds of finding a serious upgrade between, say, 58 to 80 were seemingly few and far between.

Cata had a little bump, but other than that, until WoD, it kind of happened again.

I'd really rather there not be a stat squish, especially considering all the problems that came with the last one.

IIRC Blizz has already said they're at least planning on another one for the next expansion.....which is going to make the leveling process even worse with the leveling/'progression' theme.

Aside from introducing more heirlooms though (which, tbh, they've pretty much got covered at this point), I dunno what can be done without a severe revamp of the scaling process, rather than a flat 'smoosh' of items/mobs at level range 'x to y.'

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Got an 850 titanforged trinket today as well from a simple world quest. Item level growth just seems to speed up exponentially once you go past the 810 heroic threshold. My characters were stuck below 810 for several days, but once I passed that they got to 830+ in short order.

That's because World Quests intentionally try to bottleneck you out of getting into random Heroics because you'll get to 825-830 avg. ilvl. really fast after you hit 810 or so.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
im doing normals to try and get a friend geared up, I just got outdamaged on my 844 hunter by a... 101 Arms Warrior

...lolwhut? o_O he was doing like 280k on bosses

Aside from introducing more heirlooms though (which, tbh, they've pretty much got covered at this point), I dunno what can be done without a severe revamp of the scaling process, rather than a flat 'smoosh' of items/mobs at level range 'x to y.'

Apply the Legion level scaling to Azeroth. Then people can finish a zone without it being a detriment to their leveling experience because they no longer hit the exp cap midway through questing and dungeons queuing won't make whole swathes of zones obsolete before you get to them. Players can have a more free form leveling experience, rather than going through the same route every time and go to whatever zones they're capable of getting to. They need to tune how wildlife scales and aggros though, that's annoying in Legion.

Most zones have their own self-contained story arcs and it's not like there's some overall narrative structure pushing you through Azeroth in the 1-60 zones. It's just the Cata zones that are sort of stuck in a fixed point in time--Stone Talon Mountains, and Thousand Needles come to mind.

They can leave level gating for the expansions.

Nere

im doing normals to try and get a friend geared up, I just got outdamaged on my 844 hunter by a... 101 Arms Warrior

...lolwhut? o_O he was doing like 280k on bosses

HIs damage scales to yours don't worry if you are a geared lvl 100 you do more dmg than a lvl 110.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
HIs damage scales to yours don't worry if you are a geared lvl 100 you do more dmg than a lvl 110.

still... are Arms Warriors quite strong atm or something? at one point on trash he had like 900k dps lol

Tacitus_

still... are Arms Warriors quite strong atm or something? at one point on trash he had like 900k dps lol

Arms are excellent and he was probably wearing good gear from WoD. You're 'supposed' to have around 690-700 ilvl by that point so that's what the scaling expects. When you give it 720+, you get humongous numbers.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The cleave/ buffed WW combo does a decent bit if you have a large enough group
It's whatever. Average AoE, but a little underrated when people say Arms has bad AoE. Nobody has the artifact talents to make it seem okay.

Magnus

What excites me is that they've all but confirmed that they'll be applying the scaling tech to older zones in the future, hopefully during the life cycle of Legion.

This opens the door to rejigging the entire leveling experience and would be the opportune time to introduce other changes, too.

I wonder if they could cut the XP required to level 1-100 in half (or more!), and package that experience in a series of 'stories' (like, each expansion basically), which you could select from at the outset, Mega-Man-style (or I guess, in the same vein as Artifacts or choosing Legion zone order). This could even be framed as you being a new adventurer hearing about the stories in the Caverns of Time before setting out into the new Legion world at 100, which is why you could also do them out of order with the game scaling to the order you pick.

Here's what I'm thinking this could look like:
Level 1-10 (or 1-15 or 1-20): Relatively the same. The intro to your class in Azeroth/Pandaria, and for a brand new player, to the game. Then, you get the option to do the rest of the levelling (from 11-100) by selecting from the 'stories' below.

Level 11-100: Expansion stories, selectable in any order you wish with scaling tech implemented:

- 5-7 zones from the 1-60 experience in Cata, maybe the most Deathwing-focused ones?
- Burning Crusade
- Wrath of the Lich King-
- Cataclysm (the newer 80-85 zones in Azeroth/Kalimdor)
- Pandaria
- Draenor

The idea would be that you only need to maybe do...like, 2 of these 'stories' in their entirety, but that would take you all the way to 100. It would allow each character to have a very different experience on the way to 100, but would also allow people to quest in any zone they want basically, right through to completion. Some of the best stuff is at the end of each zone, but people never see it anymore because they out-level zones so quickly.

What do you guys think?

I know it's a sort of half-baked idea, but I hope it's a possibility with scaling tech.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Finished the Mage Order questline .

It is... pretty average? The final battle against
Kathranatir
is really disappointing.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i like that they put the su'esh world quest in the game; aggroing every mob in suramar and then aoeing them for 12,000,000 damage gives everybody the warrior experience without the drudgery of having to level one up to 110.

Has anyone gotten bored already of the expansion? I played it for a week non stop got myself geared up to at least start raiding once it came out but since then I have other things I could be doing on my character they just don't feel like they are worth doing. IDK hopefully raids will help but I hate the idea I have to do a mythic dungeon for a class hall quest when I've already done that dungeon twice and can't get gear from it and people are still struggling with mythics somewhat >.> IDK I just don't have the drive I was expecting to have with the new expansion out.

Lomax

What excites me is that they've all but confirmed that they'll be applying the scaling tech to older zones in the future, hopefully during the life cycle of Legion.

This opens the door to rejigging the entire leveling experience and would be the opportune time to introduce other changes, too.

I wonder if they could cut the XP required to level 1-100 in half (or more!), and package that experience in a series of 'stories' (like, each expansion basically), which you could select from at the outset, Mega-Man-style (or I guess, in the same vein as Artifacts or choosing Legion zone order). This could even be framed as you being a new adventurer hearing about the stories in the Caverns of Time before setting out into the new Legion world at 100, which is why you could also do them out of order with the game scaling to the order you pick.

Here's what I'm thinking this could look like:
Level 1-10 (or 1-15 or 1-20): Relatively the same. The intro to your class in Azeroth/Pandaria, and for a brand new player, to the game. Then, you get the option to do the rest of the levelling (from 11-100) by selecting from the 'stories' below.

Level 11-100: Expansion stories, selectable in any order you wish with scaling tech implemented:

- 5-7 zones from the 1-60 experience in Cata, maybe the most Deathwing-focused ones?
- Burning Crusade
- Wrath of the Lich King-
- Cataclysm (the newer 80-85 zones in Azeroth/Kalimdor)
- Pandaria
- Draenor

The idea would be that you only need to maybe do...like, 2 of these 'stories' in their entirety, but that would take you all the way to 100. It would allow each character to have a very different experience on the way to 100, but would also allow people to quest in any zone they want basically, right through to completion. Some of the best stuff is at the end of each zone, but people never see it anymore because they out-level zones so quickly.

What do you guys think?

I know it's a sort of half-baked idea, but I hope it's a possibility with scaling tech.

I'd love it, *if* it is optional. It would be great to choose any zone to level in, because I never want to do Outland again. But if I just want to go back and blow through stuff for achievements or xmogs, the original level scale should still be available. Which seems like an easy enough toggle to implement.

Xeteh

Does anyone know the stat priority for Brewmaster? Or rather where I can find that kind of info?

I've been following icy-veins' but a site my friend linked me has a different priority all together. Not sure what is right.

Lanrutcon

Does anyone know the stat priority for Brewmaster? Or rather where I can find that kind of info?

I've been following icy-veins' but a site my friend linked me has a different priority all together. Not sure what is right.

Icy Veins is considered the premier source.

Noxxic is trash and has historically fucked up more than once.

biaxident

Has anyone gotten bored already of the expansion? I played it for a week non stop got myself geared up to at least start raiding once it came out but since then I have other things I could be doing on my character they just don't feel like they are worth doing. IDK hopefully raids will help but I hate the idea I have to do a mythic dungeon for a class hall quest when I've already done that dungeon twice and can't get gear from it and people are still struggling with mythics somewhat >.> IDK I just don't have the drive I was expecting to have with the new expansion out.

People are struggling in mythics? My only rough mythic was first week when I was 828 and the only ranged so I get hit by every boss mechanic. Mythics lately are easier than heroics cause the tank won't chain pull 50 mobs that all fear. It's pretty regular that I'm the only ranged as a healer though, almost all groups are 3 melee dps.

Xeteh

Icy Veins is considered the premier source.

Noxxic is trash and has historically fucked up more than once.

The other was askmrrobot. I've been leaning towards Icy Veins because they make it point to mention who wrote the guide but I know no one is infallible.

RPGCrazied

Everyone show your DH, you know you have one! Man, I'm still playing him. Haven't touched any of my other 100's other than getting their artifact. Talk about to much to do. lol

Wo_WScrn_Shot_091616_165808.jpg

Lain

"Off to Zerkhanar then to join my loved ones and friends!"

"...to kill them of course for harming your dragon. Bunch of mana addict degenerates the lot of them OH SHIT SON THERES MANA THERE BRB"

love this quest :p

edit: I just noticed they actually scratch themselves and twitch and shit, they really are crackheads

giphy.gif

I was totally doubting the dude, but by the end of the quest I felt bad for him.

Hit 110 on my paladin and now I have too much shit to do between tradeskill quests, zones, 110 stuff etc etc.

Tenebrous

In terms of?

It hasn't been proof-read ("The other legendary items available to Protection Paladins cannot compete...). It doesn't give different stat builds for offensive/balanced/defensive (like DK does), and I'm not even sure the stat priority is right (then again, no-one is). The Legendary bracers on the BiS list are a major omission given the stats & effect. Doesn't value main-stat food.

Lanrutcon

It hasn't been proof-read ("The other legendary items available to Protection Paladins cannot compete...). It doesn't give different stat builds for offensive/balanced/defensive (like DK does), and I'm not even sure the stat priority is right (then again, no-one is). The Legendary bracers on the BiS list are a major omission given the stats & effect. Doesn't value main-stat food.

Ah, ok. Noted.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Icy veins isn't really the premier source for anything beyond 'I just started'

you should ditch it for class focused message boards, reading logs and other players pretty quickly if you ever want to grow.

ampere

Friendly reminder that the stack ranks are not helpful and you should not consider them at all really.

Avoid crit if you can, haste is valuable until you start energy capping, then go for mastery, but vers is good too.

Also, anyone know the ilevel requirement for the emerald nightmare LFR coming up? I'm 824 right now.

825 I think.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Is there a site that keeps regularly updated on what hidden artifact appearances have been found? wowheads seems outdated and mmo-champ only posts when they find something new but dont post all the older one

Dragon Quest VII just came out, Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse is about to come out and I haven't even hit 110 on one toon in Legion yet. Guess I'm set for the next year or so in terms of gaming and probably not going to be running any alts.

Top Bottom